Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
i hope ibm doesn't buy red hat, they'll probably gently caress it up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

that -funroll-all-loops gentoo meme was accurate at the time, particularly the stereotype of a lot of gentoo's userbase being former mandrake users obsessed with optimized packages

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i remember mandrake

i was fool enough to install that on a laptop once, under the logic that it came with more packages than red hat 5.x did, and more packages = better

i was a very sad panda when i discovered that the documentation was written by someone who spoke neither french, nor english

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
this was long enough ago that the documentation was literally a paperback book inside of the shrinkwrapped package

the internet was so slow that buying linux in a store was A Thing

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.redhat.com/en

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ughhhhhh

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
you never know

maybe red hat's vigorous and customer-focused corporate culture will take over the decaying husk of ibm lol no i can't even finish this sentence

reality: the big red hat campuses in raleigh and boston empty out, six thousand new staff added at ibm bangalore

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

:hmbol:

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

big red /blue hat. it's like crips and bloods, together at last in harmony. maybe they'll change their slogan to Thonk

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

well, that's one way to disassociate your brand from Trump and neckbearded manchildren

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
year of linux on the mainframe

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

year of linux on the mainframe

z/OS has supported linux vms for a long time now, almost two decades

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

well i guess this explains all those strategic partnerships going on eg websphere docker containers based on red hat running in openshift

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

BobHoward posted:

i hope ibm doesn't buy red hat, they'll probably gently caress it up

the only notable difference is that they wear red bowlers with their pinstripe suits

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
idiots, don’t they know they could get centos for free?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I assume IBM looked at how much they were paying Red Hat to maintain Linux on obsolete platforms like POWER and z/Architecture and decided it would be cheaper to just outright buy Red Hat.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

this is the dumbest timeline

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

guys is slackware still any good

im asking for a friend

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
it still uses init so yes

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

it still uses init so yes

i didn't know it was opposite day

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the press release uses a lot of words to say "we're not going to sell EL anymore"

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

the press release uses a lot of words to say "we're not going to sell EL anymore"

you can't buy it anymore, but it does come free with your new Z14 mainframe

unfortunately we had to EOL the x86 branch

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

thank god microsoft had the foresight to make windows a linux so we have something to switch to when ibm ruins redhat

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
debianize yourself and face to bloodshed

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

suse exists if you're a kinky german type

suse has been bought by a private equity corp

if you're not drawing up and implementing transition plans at breakneck speed the minute you hear the words "private equity" uttered about one of your vendors then well idk what to tell you

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

quote:

The acquisition of Red Hat reinforces IBM’s high-value model. It will accelerate IBM’s revenue growth, gross margin and free cash flow within 12 months of closing. It also will support a solid and growing dividend.

The company will continue with a disciplined financial policy and is committed to maintaining strong investment grade credit ratings. The company will target a leverage profile consistent with a mid to high single A credit rating.
those are some mighty specific forward looking statements but I mostly understand it to mean that IBM is gonna loot Red Hat's cash

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
why are all the linux guys I know so incredibly mad at systemd? what did it do?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

TheFluff posted:

if you've ever had a manager tell you "our product should be so configurable that integrators don't have to program anymore" then you understand why systemd is not good

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

TheFluff posted:

they're lead poisoned boomers who don't want to learn anything new

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I’m still not sold on the whole binary syslogs thing but otherwise systemd is fine

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

for future readers of this thread it says
“IBM AND RED HAT COMBINE TO CREATE LEADING HYBRID/MULTI-CLOUD PROVIDER”

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

pseudorandom name posted:

:qq: boOoOOooooOomeEeEeeeerrrRrRrRrs :qq:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

TheFluff posted:

systemd is great

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

they're lead poisoned boomers who don't want to learn anything new

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

hobbesmaster posted:

for future readers of this thread it says
“IBM AND RED HAT COMBINE TO CREATE LEADING HYBRID/MULTI-CLOUD PROVIDER”

the gently caress this means?

My department runs RHEL on its servers and it is needs suiting. I hope they will continue to actually sell an OS an not just provide HYBRID/MULTI-CLOUD.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
RIP RHEL, we'll miss you

but gently caress systemd for real, it's a great init system glued to lovely unnecessary replacements for getty, mount, dhcp, dns, dbus (which already sucks) and who the gently caress knows what else by now

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Athas posted:

the gently caress this means?

My department runs RHEL on its servers and it is needs suiting. I hope they will continue to actually sell an OS an not just provide HYBRID/MULTI-CLOUD.
it means ibm wants openshift and doesn't gaf about EL

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

* Inhales *

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Poopernickel posted:

RIP RHEL, we'll miss you

but gently caress systemd for real, it's a great init system glued to lovely unnecessary replacements for getty, mount, dhcp, dns, dbus (which already sucks) and who the gently caress knows what else by now

systemd doesn’t replace dbus, it uses dbus and has some not-poo poo apis for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

mods please change the thread title to "2018 is the year of OS/2 on the desktop" tia