Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I suppose it's also that the previous two games are all about building those character relationships to the point where you could argue the majority of each game's plot revolves around the way the characters interact with one another. Expendable characters don't really exist in the games (unless you're Junko killing Mukuro). It might also be a matter of timing for me, since when I played UDG for the first time I'd just come off playing 1 and 2 within the last month. The whiplash of a character with an important connection to a previous game dying 15 minutes after meeting them just left a bad taste in my mouth given the way characters had usually been handled in this series to that point.

I also don't think keeping him around for a while longer would've hurt the game. He doesn't even need to join our party or anything. He could be like Luis in Resident Evil 4, who runs into the player multiple times, does his own things important to the plot, and then gets killed halfway through the game. Luis isn't an amazing character or anything, but his death is very sudden and right after he accomplishes something important for the player. I'm not saying Yuta should've survived the game, I'm just saying that the specific way the game chose to kill him off felt poorly executed, and was probably the first point at which I started to feel a bit weird about the game as I played it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shoot the only reason anyone gives a crap about that scene at all is that they gave him a face and a name, and ones that refer back to a character that had an entire game of character development.

Like change him out for a generic adult sprite/model or a future foundation guy and the rest of the scene plays exactly the same. Would anyone have honestly been bothered at that point?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

FoolyCharged posted:

Shoot the only reason anyone gives a crap about that scene at all is that they gave him a face and a name, and ones that refer back to a character that had an entire game of character development.

Like change him out for a generic adult sprite/model or a future foundation guy and the rest of the scene plays exactly the same. Would anyone have honestly been bothered at that point?

Do any of those randos have the bracelets? Doesn't it have something to do with the family or important people being trapped in the city or whatnot? I could have sworn there was some detail about why our heroine, specifically, was locked up.

The scene wouldn't have worked without an 'important' character if that was the case, since only they have bracelets. Although I guess you could have changed it to be a swarm of Scuba Monokuma's or something. When the scene started that was honestly what I was expecting. Thought some type of amphibious Mono's were going to pop out.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Psycho Knight posted:

Do any of those randos have the bracelets? Doesn't it have something to do with the family or important people being trapped in the city or whatnot? I could have sworn there was some detail about why our heroine, specifically, was locked up.

The scene wouldn't have worked without an 'important' character if that was the case, since only they have bracelets. Although I guess you could have changed it to be a swarm of Scuba Monokuma's or something. When the scene started that was honestly what I was expecting. Thought some type of amphibious Mono's were going to pop out.

Nah the bracelet was put on when we met the kids in charge. It's to keep us in the city while they play "the most dangerous game." So anybody that cheesed them off personally could be running around with one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Faceless people have no bracelets, no. They're just civilians.

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Faceless people have no bracelets, no. They're just civilians.

Right, so this scene would have had to involve a 'face and name' character in order to work and have anything approaching an impact. That's what I thought.

Unless Aqua Monokuma, but then the characters wouldn't have been properly afraid of the bracelets.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Psycho Knight posted:

Right, so this scene would have had to involve a 'face and name' character in order to work and have anything approaching an impact. That's what I thought.

Unless Aqua Monokuma, but then the characters wouldn't have been properly afraid of the bracelets.

Yeah, but that face could just be a random non shilloute person and the name could be babysitter. The actual person involved in that scene isn't important, just that they too are trapped and hunted. And go boom to show not to mess with the bracelets.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe we meet aoi later and she eats like 90 donuts out of grief in a weird tone-deaf comic relief moment

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Honestly I don't think the bomb bracelets needed to be demonstrated. It could have just started beeping ominously on the bridge for the same effect; it would be pretty obvious what that meant. Yuta's status as Aoi's brother contributes little to the scene, and cuts off the possibility of scenes about how they relate to each other.

It does signal that major characters with a name and a face can die suddenly, but this is Danganronpa and we figured that out pretty early in the first game. What would have actually surprised me is if he survived, got across the river, and went for help as planned.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

eating only apples posted:

That's some character design right there, Aoi's head on a male body. Good job guys, workin' hard!

I actually thought it was her younger sister for a bit. (With the possibility of an awkward reference to Fukawa's comments about breast size).

And come to think of it, it's another missed opportunity — putting Fukawa in with the sibling of the girl she was always insulting had some potential for decent character moments.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 29, 2018

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

You can tell they didn't give a poo poo about Yuta. He's the laziest possible implementation of giving Aoi a brother.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

♪ BGM: DSO_All All Apologies

This is one of my favorite scenes as far as voice acting and character interaction is concerned. I recommend checking it out.

...What...? N-No, what's happening!?

Are you serious?
Huh?
What we just saw... Do you seriously think that it's possible for him to be alive after that!?
No... Nooo... Ugh...
You gain nothing from averting your eyes from reality. No matter how horrible or painful. Listen. We saw Yuta Asahina, and we saw that huge explosion.
He's dead.
He...died? Y-Yuta died? But... B-But... Why?
The reason...doesn't matter. Even if we refuse to accept or understand it, it's the truth. That's reality.

Y-You... N-Nothing's going to change, no matter how hard you cry...
*sob*
*sob*
Ugh... Ugh... ...
Come on, that's enough. I-If you're done crying, we should get going... If we stay here, we're going to be an easy target for Monokumas.
I-It's impossible...
Impossible? What are you talking about? If you just give up now, you're going to die.
Well...I'm just gonna die anyway... Unlike you, I'm... I'm just some normal, regular girl. I-I can't even do anything... No matter what I do, or how hard I try, I'm... I'm just gonna die here...
So you're saying you're just giving up?
Stop screwing around! I won't let you!

But are you really sure you want to die?
Y-You wanna die right here? In this place? Not seeing your family or friends ever again? Are you really just gonna accept that!?
Of course not... I want... I want to see my family... But we've been separated for over a year. I don't even know where they are... It's probably too late, anyway... I'll probably never see them again.
*sob*
Can't you just be a little more positive instead of giving up right away all the time?
No, you don't understand... The worst despair of all comes from having hope like that. Having such strong hope and just losing it in an instant... Like what we just saw.
So why don't you just overcome that despair as well?
Although I doubt you're even willing to listen, in your state. If that's the case, at least run. You're saying that you're going to die anyway... So you're at least prepared, right? If you think you're going to die, at least run away. If you're wrong, you live. If you were right, then at least you die on the run and not just standing here, suffering.
... Why...? Why do you bother trying to cheer someone like me up...?
L-Like I said! I'm a member of Future Foundation, and I can't just...abandon you.
But if you keep up that sniveling and crying, I'll start to seriously consider it.

♪ BGM: DSO_Beautiful Dead

Jeez, you're such a burden.
You said to just run, but what are our options at this point? The bridge is a no-go, and there's no other way to get out of town, right?
Did you forget what I *just* told you? You can't just give up right away!
Anyway, now that I think about it, I remember a subway running through this town.
Huh? A subway? Did the subway line go out of the city!?
Y-Yeah, I think it did.
You should have said that before!
Well, s-sorry! I just remembered it right now! And besides, there's no way the trains work...
You're right, if the power's out, they definitely won't be working... We're trapped.
Ugh, like I said, you can't give up so easily! Even if the trains stopped working, we can get out of town if we just walk along the tracks!
So don't give up, and let's go!
Y-Yeah... Okay!

But still, I... The way Yuta died... There's no way I can just keep it secret from that idiot swimmer. Well, either way, first Master and I need to get out of this town.

I-I'm not sure, exactly. We'll just have to find it ourselves.
Well, Toko... I'm starting to think that, if we work together, we can find it for sure.
Stop wasting your breath on sentimental crap and let's get moving already.
Toko... Let's get out of here together, okay?

So, I really like this scene. The voice acting does a good job of selling the situation and really, this has been almost overdue. With Komaru getting thrown from hosed up situation into hosed up situation, culminating in her hope for escape literally exploding, it is an entirely reasonable reaction to just straight up break down. And Toko, bless her, she's not the most experienced at this whole pep talk thing, but she's trying. And really, that's what counts. Like Komaru said, she needs somebody she can depend on in this situation, because going at it alone is just going to lead to dying. She needed to be reminded that even if you can't see an option out, you can't afford to just assume that that means that there isn't an option out, and really, there's no reason to assume that. This is a lesson that Toko learned from her adventures in DR1, and now it was time for her to pass that on, even if she's not too eager about this whole "working together" thing.

♪ BGM: Wonderful Dead 001

Well, with that done, we need to head back. When we left the hotel, there was a path over to the back which we ignored because we were heading for the bridge. Now this seems to be a pretty good way to go.

With the bridge blowing up, our way back now goes through what was previously blocked, with the overpass now blocked by debris.

This is the part where I find out that there's a limit on how far your shots go - I want to kill this Bomber Monokuma from a safe distance, but alas, the Break shots just aren't getting there!

It should be noted that concentrating on getting something from a Monomono machine probably isn't a good idea with a Bomber Monokuma lurking, because well...

...sometimes you get surprised.

Moving on, let's check out this path.

Looks like...a shop.
...Welcome.

♪ BGM: It's a Kids' World

Here, you use Monocoins to purchase Bling Bullets and boosts for your scissors. First off, let me explain purchasing Bling Bullets.

Think of Bling Bullets as special add-on effects that attach to Truth Bullets. If you're overwhelmed by all the choices, the items with crown marks are a good buy. New Bling Bullets arrive occasionally, so be sure to check in periodically.

After selecting a Truth Bullet, choose the Bling Bullet you want to attach.

I've heard that, depending on the combination, you can activate a super special effect! Try out various combinations to make the ultimate blinged-up Truth Bullet.

Lucky for you, we've prepared a few different kinds of boosts for the scissors. However the wind may blow, you need not worry. Take as much time as you need to decide. Unlike Bling Bullets, scissor boosts do not need to be attached. When you buy a boost, it's automatically applied. Perfect for the laid back generation. And that concludes this tutorial. Enjoy the shop!

Alright, so let's check out this shop. This is the main place we get to blow our Monocoins on stuff. Like Nagito said, we get an opportunity to upgrade the megaphone.

As far as Bling Bullets are concerned, my purchasing decision is pretty simple.

I just buy everything because gently caress it. A benefit of trying to get as many nice shots as possible is that nice shot kills give you more Monocoins as drops - a 75 coin drop is pretty much guaranteed except with specific enemies.

With Genocide Jack's upgrades, I just get some basic upgrades - like I said before, I'm going to not use Genocide Jack that much, or at least attempt to. I'd rather keep Monocoins for the future Bling Bullets that become available.

And speaking of those Bling Bullets, let's put them to use.

When we apply them to a particular Truth Bullet, they will be enhanced by a certain degree. We can boost the effectiveness, the capacity of shots, and the speed. So here, we can see that putting Swiftly on Break would increase the speed by a fair bit.

Additionally, there are special combinations that will give an added boost. Largely and Energetically would give us a "good" boost, but here we have an "excellent" boost.

We get an additional 2 effectiveness, 1 capacity and 7 speed. It's not a lot, but hey, it's a free bonus, we'll take it.

Moving on, we find some place with a siren on top.

But oh no, it is actually a Monokuma!

And suddenly, more Monokumas show up!

♪ BGM: Absolute Despair Girl

If a Siren Monokuma finds you, they will summon the Monokumas in the area. Be very careful not to get caught! It would be absolutely terrible! Just awful! Oh. Well, I guess it's a bit late for this warning... My bad!

You're a cheeky blighter, tutorial man.

I did a bit of a dumb by backpedaling so far that I went back to the previous part of the map, thus losing out on the 75 Monocoins the one Monokuma I had killed dropped, but still, they go down without many problems.

We find something to read in this place.

More stuff about how great Towa Group is at fighting against the forces of despair. I guess it was overdue that this place got hosed up by Monokumas.

We find some more swanky doors, and you know what that means!

♪ BGM: It's a Monokuma World

More Monoku-Man! But also, a present!

Looks like this Monokuma Kid has a gift for us...

♪ Jingle: Truth Bullet GET!

It appears you have obtained Dance. Dance is another kind of Truth Bullet. Enemies hit with it can't move or attack. In other words, they're weak as a baby! It's a powerful Truth Bullet, but it's even more effective against Siren Monokumas! Nearby Monokumas will be drawn to the Siren hit by Dance. Now, throw a fast-moving electric car into that party... Well, I'll let you figure out what happens after that.

And the kid just runs off.

Well, whatever. Let's get some arcade action going!

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Activate

So, this is a pretty simple puzzle. We have a Siren Monokuma in the path of an electric car, and some regular Monokumas. We attract the regular ones to the Siren with Dance, then Move the electric car to kill them all in one shot! Let's do it.

Shoot Siren with Dance...

...it attracts the other Monokumas...

...and squash them with the electric ca-

...you motherfucker.

Alright, take two.

gently caress. Take three!

There we go.

♪ Jingle: Monoku-Man Success

Let's move on.

We run into somebody who seems to be alive!

♪ BGM: We Can't Change The World

Eeek! A, A-A, A-A-A-A kid! Are you a kid!?
N-No, I'm not! We're being attacked by the children too! I'm on your side!
I-I see... I'm sorry... I have to always have my guard up, y'know? Or else I'll end up dead... I know it's pathetic... Surviving by running and hiding like a coward.
You...ran all the way here by yourself?
...No. At first, it was my whole family with me, but... Now I'm the only one. My parents and my wife all ended up prey to those Monokumas...
Um, if you want... Do you want to come with us? I'm sure it will be better than running alone...
Tempting offer, but I'm sorry, I can't. My right Ieg's torn up from a Monokuma. I can't run with just one leg.
Then...l'll lend you my shoulder...
No, it's fine. I already let my family down... I can't bring harm to two strangers...
But...
He said it's fine. We're barely moving fast enough as it is, we can't protect an adult with a bad leg, too. He has a better chance of surviving if he hides somewhere by himself.
Yeah... She's right. Thanks for your concern, but she's absolutely right.
... ...Well, if that's the case... Okay.
... Ugh... *sob*... *sob*...
Wh-What's this out of nowhere?
I let my family die, right in front of my eyes... And now I'm making 2 young girls pity me... I'm pathetic... *sniff* Just so pathetic...

Well, that's uplifting.

We have some more literature to check out here.

I'm sure the person who dropped this was just a kid. All boys have a superhero phase, after all.
A-All bovs!? Don't vou dare! My noble master Byakuya would never befoul himself with this childish crap!
Hm, don't you think Byakuya is kinda like a superhero, in a way?
What do you mean?
Like when he rescued me, his timing was so perfect, just like a hero's.
Master...doesn't think of you as his damsel in distress at all! You're no Lois Lane, woman!
I-I didn't mean it like *that*...
Well, I can never be too careful... You never know who's a homewrecker until it's too late...
But I know what you mean, about the perfect timing. Lots of strange coincidences lately... The Monokumas ambushed this town exactly when Future Foundation arrived to save you... It's too convenient to be coincidence.
Byakuya said the reason they came here was because they received an anonymous rescue plea... Do you think...the children did it?
Wouldn't surprise me.
Then...the children were targeting Future Foundation from the beginning? Why?
Hmph, how would I know? But it does seem to fit. Still, I can't imagine what kind of grudge they could have against Future Foundation... The only thing I know for sure is that we can't underestimate these brats, or we'll end up dead.
Hm... I hope there aren't any more unpleasant surprises...

Next up, we find the way to the subway, but there's a problem!

Jeez, keep your voice down. If the shutter is closed, that means someone closed it. If that's the case, we should look around here for some kind of clue.
...A clue?

HINT HINT. This is like two seconds' walk away, too.

The Monokumas might have done the act, but it's the kids making them kill. It's...sickening.
Huh? It looks like he's holding something...

A key! Boy, that was easy!

Could this key be...?

Suddenly, Monokuma kid attack!

Wah!

And off he goes!

R-Running into you and not even apologizing! Who raised that little brat?

Toko! This is bad!
What?
The key! The kid stole it!
Huh!?
We gotta go after that kid! If we don't have the key, we can't get into the subway!

And off she goes!

Ah! H-Hey!

And that'll be it for this update. Next time, we pursue a kid, because god damnit, he took our key, and this indignity will not stand! We'll obviously need to solve a puzzle and then be incredibly smug at him to rectify this situation!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheMcD posted:

Can't you just be a little more positive instead of giving up right away all the time?

I know Komaru's been through a lot, but imagine being so gloomy that Toko says this to you.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Nov 1, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I know Komaru's been through a lot, but imagine being so gloomy that Toko says this to you.

There's getting a pep talk, and then there's getting a pep talk from a complete and utter misanthrope who basically hates everything except very, very specific things from whom you'd think that hell would freeze over before they'd try to encourage somebody to be more positive. Extreme situations make for strange results.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I bet Komaru would not lose hope if she found out some information about her family. Not finding out now may mean she's being protected from the truth ... obviously they know who she is but except for the suit guy no one wants to actually give her any details.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, that little poo poo there has our key! We have no idea what it does, really, but god damnit, it's our key, so we're going to pursue this bastard to the ends of the earth to get it back! Or, well, to the ends of this level, to be more accurate.

We pursue up some shipping containers...

...and don't think I don't see you there, you bombing bastard...

...and after heading down the containers, we are once again led towards a particular door.

But before that, some more collectibles.

This is a new type of collectible - Socki the Sock. Throughout the game, we'll find more pages of this story and learn more about our wonderful friend Socki.

I guess one of the kids must have dropped it. With them controlling the Monokumas and killing adults, I forgot there was even a child inside.
Maybe it's just a phase we don't understand. Is this what's "in" right now?

Komaru, I don't think "using killer robots to murder all the adults" is a phase. Anyway, our next stop is that door, which leads to another construction site.

M-m-maybe he's hiding somewhere around here?

Hey! Come on out! I know you're in here!

Surprise!

Toko doesn't take it well and lands flat on her rear end.

And then gets laughed at for good measure.

Th-th-th-that brat! Acting all high and mighty just because he knows we won't hurt him!

Let's go around back to get that kid. Then he'll be caught just like a rat in a trap!
Y-y-y-yeah, you're right...

Well, again, you can see those doors in that screenshot, and that means only one thing.

More puzzles!

This one isn't too hard either. We have a bunch of Monokumas walking up and down in a straight line, a Bomber amongst them, and a Siren at the end that doesn't move.

The play is easy - use Dance on the Siren...

...then blast the Bomber, leading to the explosion taking out everybody else. No loving about with an electric car this time.

We're pointed towards this building under construction.

However, the only thing we find is...

...this.

Th-This little brat! Does he think we're his playmates or something!? Argh! This is so frustrating that... That my eyesight is getting better!
Huh? Frustration leads to improved vision?
Of course not! Don't take everything I say so literally! Come on, let's just go!

The only way forward we have is through this door...

...which leads here. This is an additional little gameplay feature:

Blasting Bombers near these wooden barriers breaks them, letting us pass.

That object floating above you as if it's always been there is called a Guiding UFO. It's your friendly ally that will guide you by shooting Move at it. Asking for directions is embarrassing, but getting lost is more embarrassing. So use it!

This is basically a backtracking helper. When we end up looping around to an area we've already been, this guy - which looks a lot like Minimaru, looking at it - will show us where to go. Handy!

And after backtracking a bit, we make our way back to the hospital.

♪ BGM: Alice in the Children's Land

We start out by finding a new collectible that wasn't here before.

And it's another Socki page.

After backtracking more, we run into the kid again.

Which then proceeds to get away this time, running into an area that was locked off the last time.

Along the way, we have some more collectibles.

So the children's paradise is straight-edge, then.

Our pursuit then leads us to the operating room, where the entrance area has been undergoing quite a bit of redecorating.

♪ BGM: Silence ♫

This room is creepy... like something might pop out any second.
W-w-what do you mean, "pop out"? Don't say something creepy like tha-

But suddenly, they are startled by a pounding noise...

...coming from this closet. And then...

Uaaaaaah!
It popped out!

Jesus Christ what the gently caress is that.

Oh. Thanks for clearing that up, I guess.

Th-this is your fault! You just had to say something, didn't you?

The door's locked shut!

The brat from earlier must have done it!

I hope everybody has nice dreams tonight.

♪ BGM: DSO_Living to the Fullest

Alright, so now we get to deal with this abomination. It's a miniboss of sorts at this point, taking a lot more fire to take care of. It will generally charge at us and also has a leaping attack.

Thankfully, it's still vulnerable to getting shot in the eye, which makes dealing damage easier. Eventually, it goes down. And after that...

Let's chase after that brat! I've got a whole lifetime's worth of trauma to give him!

Toko's gonna beat the poo poo out of that kid.

♪ BGM: Alice in the Children's Land

Exiting the room, we again run into that kid.

Of course, he bails again.

I-I can see that!

We pursue him there, and again, he bails down an area that was previously locked off.

Jeez, how far is this brat gonna run!?

Next up, another collectible.

Welp.

Another collectible in the nearby sick room.

♪ Jingle: Skill GET!

Hey, better healing! Not gonna argue with that.

Another collectible in a room further down the line.

Doesn't look like it's gonna have a happy ending...
Let me guess. The main character wins in the end, and they stand up and say something stupid like: "We may be crazy, but at least we're happy!"
Yeah, that sounds pretty plausible.
Well, just because I can predict the ending doesn't automatically make it suck, I guess. But it doesn't really matter. Anything other than the purest literature is poo poo anyway.
That's rather cut-and-dry... Kind of a refreshing point of view, actually.
Speaking of predictions, I'm guessing your family was "normal" to a T, right?
Well, actually...we weren't really that normal at all. We're a family of four. My parents, my brother, and me, but...
What? Were you a family of cannibals or something?
D-Don't say something scary!
No, I mean... For example, Mom always watches the same variety show at lunchtime. Dad never shaves on weekends if he doesn't have plans, and my brother goes to an amazing school. When we're eating dinner and it's just the four of us, we basically just watch TV and small talk.
...Nothing you just said makes me think you're anything but completely and obviously normal.
But if that's normal, isn't it kinda...*not* normal, because it's *too* normal?
I'm really more interested in the relationship between you and your brother. Do you guys share a bed or bathe together like in those trashy light novels?
W-We're siblings! We'd never do that! We actually don't get along well at all!
The only time we even talk is when we're snacking together, or talking about manga we like...
...You guys get along better than most couples I know.
Really? I figured other siblings would be much closer than we are...
Any closer and it'd be illegal.
But now that...you mention my family... I'm starting to get worried... I hope Mom, Dad, and Makoto are all safe...

After that, our final stop is the director's room.

♪ BGM: Riddle Land

A child challenging us to a battle of wits... He really doesn't think much of us, does he?
...Huh?

Y-You're just gonna go along with what he wants!?

♪ Jingle: Challenge from a Child

Alright, Komaru is ready to own the poo poo out of some little kid again. But the first thing we need to do is pick up the present in this room.

♪ Jingle: Truth Bullet GET!

Looks like you picked up Detect. Detect is a type of Truth Bullet that reveals things invisible to the naked eye. But not stuff like love or inner demons... That's not what it's for. Anyway, check out the graffiti art the kids made with the special type of paint. Things hitherto unseen can be viewed with your own eyes using Detect! Now before you get all angry and call me a liar, shine Detect onto the portrait. Now this is what real graffiti art is about. By the way, paint cans are seen in places where the kids have made graffiti. Where there is shadow, there is light. Where there are paint cans, there is graffiti.

Love, inner demons, or what is essential, that's not what Detect is about.

Anyway, we have four of these portraits...

...and four of these scribbles.

Going from left to right, if we examine the four portraits, we get told that this guy's name is Ichiro Soneda...

...this one is Barret Wong...

...this one is Heath Reed...

...and finally, this one is Antony Belfour. Astute viewers will notice that each of the four people has the letters to a number in their name - one, two, three and four. So we just match the scribbles on the paintings to the scribbles on the safe, assign the numbers accordingly, and...

...we have our solution.

And the safe springs open!

Komaru is psyched about this development.

...You're rather excited for beating a little kid.
...Boo hoo.

And thus, Komaru owned a kid so hard it ran away crying. And she couldn't feel better about it.

And there's our key.

And with this, we can get into the subway!
W-We don't really know that... It could just be the key to some bicycle lock or something...
Huh... Then what do I do? I don't even know how to ride a bike...
...Oh... No, that's...not what I meant...
It's fine, let's just hurry up and try it. I've had enough of this hospital already.
Yeah, you're right.

And that'll be it for this time. Next time, we'll actually be finishing up the first chapter, and you know it's going to be exciting. And if you don't know, well, now you do. It's going to be exciting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I feel like Toko is the kind of person that would make a YouTube channel like CinemaSins if she cared enough to watch movies.

Thanks for the nightmares, Kodaka.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 3, 2018

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

TheMcD posted:

...You're rather excited for beating a little kid.
...Boo hoo.

And thus, Komaru owned a kid so hard it ran away crying. And she couldn't feel better about it.

Komaru is the kind of protagonist I can get behind. Her constant excitement over dunking on kids has my approval.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

'Did you share a bed with your brother?' Wtf, Toko.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Komaru's traits are being very enthusiastic and otherwise incredibly normal in every way.

She does have a brother in Hope's Peak, but he's the Ultimate Lucky Student courtesy of winning a lottery, and there's a little side story in an unlocalized booklet about how that happened that came with the Japanese Bluray release of the anime adaption of the original, and...

Wiki summary posted:

The novel begins with Jin Kirigiri talking to the Steering Committee about the results of their annual draw for this year's Ultimate Lucky Student. The four members of the committee are decidedly unimpressed, for they firmly believed that luck should not be considered a talent and that the headmaster was wasting their school's resources. Jin tries to convince them otherwise. He is having a hard time convincing the committee that luck is a ‘talent’ worth considering, until he brings up the topic of a certain person.

Nagito Komaeda's absolute and superior luck is enough to silence the entire Steering Committee, and they eventually decided to leave Jin to his own devices. Jin took out a folder containing the information concerning this year's Ultimate Lucky Student and revealed to the commitee the result of the lucky draw - the name of a female high school student.

*A lengthy and highly unlikely series of events involving a jewel thief, Makoto, and a kendo master transpire*

The scene shifts back to Jin Kirigiri, who has been informed that the letter addressed to that year's Ultimate Lucky Student has been burnt up in an unfortunate accident involving a robber and a motorcycle stolen from a postman. Having heard that, Jin decides to hold the lottery again, because he feels that the misfortune of having her admission letter burn up disqualifies her from being accepted as Ultimate Lucky Student. In fact, he's already gotten the results of the draw - Makoto Naegi.

I figure the original draw winner spent the entire Incident with her family on an all-expenses-paid vacation to the International Space Station. Makoto has a degree of unusual luck, but it is the kind of luck that gets him into and then out of being caught up in an armed robbery. I guess Komaru has that kind of luck too, given that she's stuck in Towa City but also has the Ultimate Serial Killer backing her up and is not Genocider's type.

Ratoslov posted:

'Did you share a bed with your brother?' Wtf, Toko.

As Toko says, that's a thing that happens in trashy light novels.

namehereguy fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 3, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, time to finish this chapter, and I guess you're getting this one quick because I knocked it out in the same bit of update writing. This is the part of the game which really grabbed me and got me even more excited to go through the game. We begin by exiting the hospital.

Looks like you're finally starting to get a little positive.

Then, as soon as we move a bit...

Allow me to introduce another way to use Detect. If you find this mysterious sparkle, try using Detect continuously on it.

There are 5 sparkles hidden in each chapter. It would be super fun to try to collect them all, right? All the cool kids are doing it.

So, this is the last collectible type we have - Hidden Kids. Throughout each chapter, there will be five of these sparkles hidden, which you really have to pay attention to not miss. Since this chapter is almost over, they're very tightly bunched and easy to spot. This will not continue throughout the next chapters.

So like the tutorial said, we shine Detect on the sparkles, and...

♪ Jingle: Hidden Kids Discovered!

...we found Masaru!

Moving on, this Monokuma very kindly breaks up that barricade for us so we can head that way.

And we find these doors again!

Time for more puzzles!

This one is simple, too. Shoot the car with Move when the Siren moves away from it, then shoot the Siren with Dance and blow up the Bomber as before.

Step one.

Step two.

Step three.

Success!

Next up, some more collectibles.

We will be finding more of these as the chapters go on.

Next, we have a minor puzzle. Bombers run out at us, and we blow them up.

They will keep coming out of this hole until we figure out that we need to blow them up close to the barricade so we can progress.

So we do that.

Also, sparkles!

Moving on, more sparkles!

Minimaru tells us the way to go back to the subway.

More sparkles!

Finally, close to the subway, even more sparkles!

And that completes the set.

Right in front of the subway, we find another adult that is not dead!

A kid...actually using a monster like that... A monster like that shouldn't exist... A monster like that... It's impossible...
Um...
Y-You two... You're not children, right?
No, we're not. We're also being hunted by the children...
I see. Even though you guys are still so young, huh? Looks like we're all out of luck...
Um, I didn't mean to eavesdrop, but... What did you mean when you said monster...?
I-I-I'm sorry, I... Just...saying it out loud is... I can't...
If you can't say it, that's fine!
I'm sorry, I'm sorry... I'm so sorry...
I-I said it's just fine!
I'm sorry... I'm sorry, I'm sorry! Please, don't kill me, don't kill me...
Jeez... What could break an adult down like this...?
I'm sorry, I'm sorry... I'm so sorry...

Also, the subway has now gained a skill shop and two Monomono machines. Hrm. There's no new bling for us, so we just skip it.

Ugh, what if it's no good? I'm so nervous...

Y-Yay! Yay! Toko, it worked! It's open!
I-I can see that...
Toko, let's open the shutter! Give me a hand!
I-I guess I've got no choice, right?

Y-You can't know for sure... We might run into danger instead...
Well... Should we not go, then?
...I don't know.
I-If you say it's better not to go, then I'll trust you.
But... We've come all this way, and we don't have any better escape plans right now...
Argh, so indecisive...
Fine! I'll go! We're going this way, I decided, so now just do what I say!
Happy?
Y-Yeah...?

We head down the subway tunnel, and it starts being filled with children's drawings on the walls.

Ominous. Yet, also, adorable.

Well, let's get going.

♪ BGM: Ambience ♫

This is another very recommended scene.

Wh-why is it so dark? I told you, I'm afraid of the dark!

It's OK. I'm telling you, it's not that dark.
I-it is dark! It's more than dark enough!

Aaaaaargh! Is anyone there? Turn on the light, damnit!

Suddenly, lights!

And as our protagonists adjust to the new light...

They find themselves in a cage stadium, surrounded by hundreds of cheering Monokuma Kids!

And they're locked in, too!

♪ BGM: It's a Kids' World

Wh-what is this?
Hey! Hey-hey! You totally fell for it! You really thought you could escape, didn't ya? Hahaha! But too bad! I totally saw that one coming!

And the Hero makes his entry!

The judges are impressed as well.

I'm the super-duper Hero of the Warriors of Hope, the Li'l Ultimate P.E., Masaru Daimon!

Komaru, for a change of pace, doesn't know what the gently caress.

♪ BGM: Ghost Stories From the School District of Revolution

Wh-What the hell? What's with this dorky little brat?
I-It's him! He's one of the kids who put the wristband on me...

I'm not llke those adults who call themselves leaders but hlde like cowards! The best leaders are the ones that stand bravely on the front lines!
That's a true Hero, Lord Masaru Daimon!

Lots of cheers from the peanut gallery.

Ehe... Ehehehehe! That was cool, right? I looked totally cool right then, right?
What a narcissistic little ingrate... Brats like him always get what's coming to them.
Hey, didja freak out when the leader of the whole group just popped up like that!? Scary, right!? Pathetic! Just like I always say, stupid little girls with no wieners are total cowards!

That kid... He said wiener... Wiener!? H-He j-just blurted out "wieners" like that!
Ugh, h-how indecent! Reprehensible! Big... Stupid... Wiener!
Um, Toko... You don't have to keep repeating it.
Alriiight! Brace yourselves, Demons! Even if you show your tummy like a dog and beg for mercy, you're gonna get it now!
Brace...for what?
Isn't that obvious!? This is a Killesseum! I'm gonna kill you Demons!
K-Kill!?
Excuse you, you dolt... You can't even say it right, there's no such thing as a Killesseum.
...Wha?
It's pronounced colosseum, which is an amphitheatre made in ancient Rome...
Acting all cool like that and not even knowing how to pronounce it... You really are a kid!

What is this Demon thing in the first place? That better not be about us.
It's not just us... Isn't he talking about adults in general?
...Huh?
Yeah, that's right... You adults are Demons... You are our enemies... Enemies of kids... That's why me and the Warriors of Hope are gonna hunt down every last one of you!
And then make a peaceful paradise just for children in this town!

More cheers from the audience, and then...

♪ BGM: Absolute Terrified Girl

Wh-What...is that...?
What, you can't tell just by looking!? These guys are the Demons I've hunted down! Ehehe! How 'bout it!? Isn't it awesome!? It's worth one trillion brazillion points!

Ugh... Oh my god...
I-I told you not to look!

As Hero, I hunted them down and let everyone go free!

More cheers!

Ehehe... Now now, don't praise me *too* much... I just did what any good leader would do...
H-How could you do this...? You guys... You all realize that one day you will all be adults too, right?
I won't become an adult!

If I'm gonna turn into a dirty, mean, ugly, smelly Demon, I'd rather die as a kid!

You see...? You can hear it, right? Everyone loves me... They appreciate me... Because I'm their Hero... If I...hunt down every single Demon... Then nobody has to be afraid anymore!
Th-They won't have to be afraid of the violence, and the pain! W-Won't have to... Afraid...

I-I won't...be...afraid... I'm not...scared...at all... I don't hafta be scared of the... The dark and the pain and the alcohol smell... Not anymore... Not anymore, not anymore! No matter how much you beat me, I won't be afraid anymore! You hear me!? Not going...be afr...aid...

Komaru, again, doesn't really know what the gently caress.

Masaru looks at his left hand, which has started shaking.

Huh? Wh-what is this?

Hehehe... uh, yeah, that's weird.

He then proceeds to punch the poo poo out of his left arm.

Damnit! Stop! Stop! Stop!

Stop! Stop! Stop! I said stop!

I'm not scared! I'm not scared! I'm NOT scared! I'm not scared of anything!

The other two can only look on as this unfolds.

I'm a hero! I'M A HERO! A hero isn't afraid of ANYTHING!

He isn't afraid of dying!

Of killing! NOTHING!
So just STOP ALREADY!

P-please stop it!

Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, STOP ALREADY! STOP! STOP! STOP!

STOP! STOP, DAMNIT, STOP!

No! Please stop that!

And suddenly, he stops.

Hahahaha...

♪ BGM: DSO_Despair-Syndrome

Ha... Hahaha... Hahahahahaha!

We're not Demons! We won't do anything to you guys. Please!
Th-These kids are completely insane! Talking to them isn't going to accomplish anything! They don't even respect life and death anymore... They're beyond sanity entirely.

But you're almost Demons. You're going to be just like the Demons, I can tell...
And that's why I have to defeat you now, before you turn into one!

And with Masaru snapping his fingers...

...some sort of control unit is sent flying towards him.

He's ready to go. But what does this unit control?

♪ BGM: Sortie! Its Name Is Robot

The ground shakes...

...a drill starts coming out of the ground...

...and a giant robot pops out!

Wh-what is that!?
I-I didn't know there'd be robots! That's cheating!

Hey! Watch me, everyone! The leader of the Warriors of Hope! The Hero!

I am gonna defeat these wienerless Demons in no time!

Toko! What should we do?

W-we're going up against a machine, so... as long as you have that gun Master gave you...

With this... we have a chance?

We'll be fine!

...probably.

Why don't you sound sure!?

Go! Hero Robot Mark Guyver! Stomp all over these filthy Demons!

It's time for a boss fight.

♪ BGM: The Warriors Of Hope

Alright, so, this first boss fight isn't all that complicated, but, y'know, gotta start somewhere.

This robot has three different attacks. One is for it to start spinning itself and moving towards us. It stops after a bit, so the solution is just to stay away.

It can also smash its drill into the ground. This is not a problem as long as you move away. The third attack doesn't happen until you deal some damage to it, so let's deal with that next. How do you deal damage to this robot?

Its weak point is here. Much like the other robots, the red Monokuma eye is the weak spot. So we shoot that with Break, and that's how you deal damage. Most of the time, the robot blocks the weak spot by holding its shield in front of it, but it leaves itself open sometimes. When it does the drill punch into the ground, it leaves itself open while the drill is in the ground, and before the spinning attack, it leaves itself open as well for a bit, allowing you to cancel the attack by shooting the weak spot. So now we deal some damage for a bit.

We then get to see the third attack - it jumps to the back of the arena, then charges at you full force. The only way to stop this is to shoot the weak point twice, which is conveniently enough left open while it's charging.

When you break up the charge attack, the robot gets stunned, giving us five more free shots.

After a bunch of shooting, the weak spot opens up. This essentially just means "you dealt X amount of damage to it", and it's easier to shoot.

So now we just keep shooting the weak spot a bunch more.

The game also occasionally drops more ammo for you so you don't run out, since there's no other way to refill.

And eventually, it just blows up, concluding the fight.

♪ BGM: Punishment of the Hero

The robot seems to be having some problems.

Some problems of the exploding variety.

Of the very exploding variety.

Some other problems seem to be approaching Masaru.

It doesn't seem like the Monokuma Kids are happy with this...

...not at all.

Aaaaand he's gone...

...leaving only a pair of headphones.

♪ BGM: DSO_DISTRUST

It doesn't look like just infighting either, which means...
N-No, it can't... This must be some kind of Punishment for losing the game... How cruel...
Huh? What?
N-Nothing, forget it! Now's our chance to get out of here!
Y-Yeah, you're right. Let's go!

Don't have to tell me twice! Run away!

Ugh... Ugh!
Toko! What happened? Are you hurt?
E-Even though I met one of the ringleaders, I couldn't even get any information out of him... Like where Master Byakuya is, a-and about... That person as well...
...That person?
Ugh, I'm no good... I'm such a worthless girl! Just trash! An idiotic piece of filth!
No, no you're not! Hey! You're not no-good trash, and you aren't ugly either!
...I didn't say ugly! D-Don't throw stuff in there on your own!
S-Sorry, that was just spur of the moment.
Wh-While we bicker like this, those brats are probably torturing Master Byakuya... W-Writhing in...

Oh no, we're losing her again!

♪ BGM: Absolute Delusional Girl

Haa... Ahh... Ahh...

Haa... Ahh... Ahh...

I...believe in her... I believe in Toko Fukawa!

Y-Yeah that...sure sounds bad...
Anyway... Where do we go from here? The subway turned out to be a trap... Where else can we even go?
How about instead of asking me all the time, you use your own brain for once?
B-But...
Well, I guess you're better than you were before. At least now you want to survive.
Just stay focused and pay attention to your surroundings.

Huh? Isn't that...? If I remember right, that place should have been buried in rubble, right?
For whatever reason, it looks as if the debris was cleared away while we were fighting that brat.

You really haven't learned your lesson!? Think about it... Isn't it a little too convenient? If this really is just a coincidence, then you're the luckiest girl on the planet.
So you think this is a trap, too? B-But if you think about it, something that's *obviously* a trap might not be a trap, right!?
...Just what is going on in that brain of yours?
I-If you say it's better not to go, then we won't do it. But...
I-It's not like I'm telling you *not* to do it! There's nowhere else to go anyway... I'm just telling you to prepare yourself if it's a trap.
Prepare myself?
O-Okay. Got it.

♪ BGM: Ambience ♫

Ugh... I hope it has some light, at least. Because if it's as dark as I think it is, we are definitely turning around!
It's gonna be alright. I'm with you, after all!

S-s-so what? Are you just gonna magically turn the lights on or something?

Meanwhile...

...mysterious Monokuma thing!

Next, we get the ranking for this chapter and oh my God you motherfucker. You actually gave me a B for having to retry that one Monoku-Man thing twice because of the loving pathfinding screwing me? Oh man, this is gonna be fun down the line.

♪ BGM: Absolute Delusional Girl

After that, we get judged by Byakuya as filtered through Toko-vision.

From here on... I'll allow you to stay by my side.

If we had gotten an A, we would have gotten a skill on top of more Monocoins as a reward.

♪ BGM: Chapter End

And that concludes Chapter 1. Next time, we'll replay Chapter 1 and fix everything I hosed up the first time around. Fun!

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 16, 2018

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Oh crap, even his portrait has the bruises on his arm.

...I don't know what the gently caress.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheMcD posted:

I-I won't...be...afraid... I'm not...scared...at all... I don't hafta be scared of the... The dark and the pain and the alcohol smell... Not anymore... Not anymore, not anymore! No matter how much you beat me, I won't be afraid anymore! You hear me!? Not going...be afr...aid...

Nothing like some good old-fashioned childhood trauma to spice up an attempted murder.

namehereguy
Nov 24, 2017
Yeah if you were wondering why the Warriors Of Hope want to kill all adults, well, in Masaru's case you have your answer.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

TheMcD posted:

Th-th-th-that brat! Acting all high and mighty just because he knows we won't hurt him!

You won't? Why the heck not? Yeah, he's a kid, but he's also a murderer and torturer, so, uh, yeah, kill him.

I guess that could have benefited from someone trying to attack one of the Monokuma kids and getting wrecked, like what happened to "Junko" in DR1.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

The boss music in this game is so great. :D

I mean Danganronpa has an amazing OST in general, but yeah.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Qrr posted:

You won't? Why the heck not? Yeah, he's a kid, but he's also a murderer and torturer, so, uh, yeah, kill him.

I don't think further antagonizing the already homicidal children is going to make things better.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Qrr posted:

I guess that could have benefited from someone trying to attack one of the Monokuma kids and getting wrecked, like what happened to "Junko" in DR1.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I don't think further antagonizing the already homicidal children is going to make things better.

Toko does bring up at one point that attacking the Monokuma kids would be a bad idea.

TheMcD posted:

Wh-What the heck...? This is no time to be playing games like this!
I want to slap this brat in the face for this... Monokumas would ambush us if I did... It's a pain in the rear end... But we gotta do it.

I can only presume some Future Foundation schmuck found that out the hard way. Toko probably threatens them with violence to make herself feel better, but she never actually goes through with it.

It does bring up an interesting point though - are the Monokuma kids "murderers and torturers"? It sounds odd, but think about it for a second. What exactly have we seen the Monokuma kids actually do? I count two things that are openly hostile and actually seem to have the intent of killing our protagonists:

- Blowing up the bridge
- Locking the two in the room with the Junk Monokuma

And in contrast to that, they:

- Sell us upgrades for our attacks
- Give us new Truth Bullets for our megaphone
- Give us solvable, fair challenges for things they could just totally screw us on (like the subway key)

Most of the time, when we see them, they're just playing around with dead bodies (which is kinda horrifying but doesn't make you a murderer) or dancing around in the streets.

Now, you might say "But TheMcD, they control the Monokumas that are killing everybody!". But are they really doing that? According to what we heard in the prologue, the Monokumas are being controlled specifically by the Warriors of Hope, or more specifically, through "Monaca's magic", whatever that means. They seem to be acting largely autonomously and probably have some sort of AI that just tells them to murder everything that doesn't wear one of those Monokuma masks all the kids have.

The role the Monokuma kids play is still very vague here. It had been mentioned that they might be following somebody's orders when they give us Truth Bullets and that kind of stuff - but whose? Probably not the Warriors of Hope - they don't even know we have the megaphone. But you know who does know we have the Megaphone and specifically mentioned we'd be able to upgrade it later? Nagito. And that's a problem, because that means all theories are immediately plausible, because Nagito is "WILDCARD, BITCHES", the character, and it's already established he has his own agenda. So this seems to be something we might have to pay attention to in the future.

SoundwaveAU posted:

The boss music in this game is so great. :D

I mean Danganronpa has an amazing OST in general, but yeah.

It is very rad. I was curious as to how exactly they would do "boss battle" music, since that wasn't really a thing Danganronpa needed before that - well, apart from rhythm game music with a hard beat you can tap buttons to, that is - and what Takada came up with is great.

And apropos of nothing, now that I ended up looking up Takada, I found this fairly recent news. There's a new game company called Too Kyo Games, which will be making an anime series and some games. The company consists of, amongst others:

Article posted:

Director and scenario writer Kazutaka Kodaka (Danganronpa)
Composer and arranger Masafumi Takada (Danganronpa, 100 Sleeping Princes and the Kingdom of Dreams)
Character designer and illustrator Rui Komatsuzaki (Danganronpa, Fate/Grand Order)
Novelist and scenario writer Yōichirō Koizumi (Break Kimi Core, Ultra Despair Hagakure)
Illustrator and character designer Shimadoriru (Danganronpa, Fate/Grand Order)
Director and scenario writer Takumi Nakazawa (Ever17, Root Double)
Director and scenario writer Kōtarō Uchikoshi (Ever17, Zero Escape)

So that's Kodaka, Nakazawa and Uchikoshi combined now, with music by Takada. Holy poo poo, that is going to be nuts.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

We never saw the body, but it looks pretty heavily implied that the warrior of hope we just defeated was murdered by a mob of monokuma kids. And the wild cheering for the death match we were in. I'd definitely put them on the side of keep my distance.

Flapjack Monty
Oct 28, 2013

TheMcD posted:

So that's Kodaka, Nakazawa and Uchikoshi combined now, with music by Takada. Holy poo poo, that is going to be nuts.
The article mentions DR and some... other thing, but not Killer7 and No More Heroes? Man, his work for those games is what convinced me to play through this series. :colbert:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

One actually neat thing is that you can use Dance on every enemy in the game just about, and it does slightly different things per Monokuma and does really different dances for the boss robots.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Lord_Magmar posted:

One actually neat thing is that you can use Dance on every enemy in the game just about, and it does slightly different things per Monokuma and does really different dances for the boss robots.

Oh, gently caress. You can actually use Dance on the bosses? I just straight assumed they'd be immune to it because, I mean, it's like a status effect on a boss, those are always useless, right?

Really weighing my options here regarding blitzing through the chapter a third time to see that.

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Komaru's voice actor is like, really good lol.

Also Sexy Byakuya responding to your rank is legitimately hilarious, that's awesome

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

TheMcD posted:

Oh, gently caress. You can actually use Dance on the bosses? I just straight assumed they'd be immune to it because, I mean, it's like a status effect on a boss, those are always useless, right?

Really weighing my options here regarding blitzing through the chapter a third time to see that.

Maybe if there's a New Game+ you can try it then.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

TheMcD posted:

Yes, it's actually really useful if you're good at little aim adjustments because it keeps them still for quite a while. I've got a polsy link of just the first fight and they make it dance if you really want to see it.

Also, one of the best parts of boss fights is watching Toko just get dunked on every time something goes near her.

SoundwaveAU
Apr 17, 2018

With the end of Chapter 1 let's have more voice actor talk.

Masaru Daimon is voiced by Tara Jayne Sands, who might have been a prominent voice in some of the childhoods of the goons around here. That's because her most well-known are Mokuba Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh and she's also MOTHERFUCKING BULBASAUR. She's in some other anime and games but none really compare to her roles under 4Kids in terms of fame. She's a good actress who is known for mainly doing rougher, more boyish voices. She does a good job as Masaru, and I hope you watched Masaru's breakdown scene so you can hear her at work.

I was going to hold off on Jataro until we saw a bit more of him, but since he shares a VA with Yuta (who we won't be seeing again...probably) I might as well do them both.

Jataro Kemuri and Yuta Asahina are both voiced by Michelle Ruff. To call Michelle Ruff an experienced voice actress is an absurd understatement. She's got an absolutely massive resume of well-known roles and she's very, very good at what she does. Let's run through some character she voices. Rukia Kuchiki from Bleach, Yukari Takeba and Sadayo Kawakami from the Persona games, Yoko Littner in Gurren Lagann and Sinon from Sword Art Online. There are still a ton of characters where you could say "Hey, this character is famous! How come you didn't mention them?" because that's just how many big roles she's landed. Her style is...well god drat, she can do anything you need, really. She's avoided being typecasted because she's always doing something different, and all her major characters have different voices in some way. I'd say her role as Jataro is a stand-out even for her, though. She makes him sound absolutely delightfully twisted and she's very convincing. Jataro is a Gundham-esque character IMO, where the voice acting needs to be absolutely on-point for the character to work or be taken seriously, and Michelle nails it.

Yuta is the exact opposite, in that it sucks. It's very bad and I don't know why. I honestly think it might be the worst dub performance in Danganronpa? Not because Michelle can't act or whatever, just the voice is incredibly painful to listen to. It's hard to explain, but the voice is just...bad. Does not sound like a young boy at all, IMO. Swing and a miss, unfortunately. Only actual bad performance from Michelle Ruff I've heard though, and doesn't diminish her standing as one of the best voice actresses around.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Charmander would have lasted past Chapter 1. :smuggo:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I'd forgotten exactly how crazy this series was until reading those first couple pages. I'm enjoying the trip!

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015

Although next time, you would be wise to heed the ancient Japanese proverb... phone first!
There's a minor reference that I think I can mention: In the world of anime, there's another Masaru Daimon-the protagonist of Digimon Savers (or Data Squad for the US), and his name in Japanese is written with the EXACT SAME KANJI as our Masaru.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, so this time, we're starting over, because we're going over the entire first chapter again and picking up everything we missed. There will be no music links in this update, because the scenes will be switching so rapidly there will probably be a new music track playing in every new shot or so. So let's go!

Starting off, the Genocide Jack tutorial actually doesn't force you to use Genocide Jack. So instead, I just kill all the Monokumas using the megaphone, allowing me to rack up Nice Shots and get a lot more Monocoins. More cash is good.

Our first missed collectible is found right after Yuta was blowed to smitheroons. It turns out that all we had to do...

...was turn around!

Well, Yuta, turns out that that idea didn't work so well for you.

Next, there's a second entrance to the Towa Hotel here that I believe is only accessible after the bridge blows up.

Toko is not impressed with our detour, questioning if we're a ruin enthusiast or something. This area is blocked off from the rest of the floor...

...and hides another collectible!

A bit more EXP is very much appreciated.

We also get ambushed after picking up the skill, but it's nothing we can't deal with.

Of course, the first attempt at redoing that Monoku-Man puzzle that hosed me over earlier doesn't work out either. Time to reload... which means redoing the bridge segment and everything afterwards because I forgot to save. Blargh.

So, redid the bridge segment, got the skill again, trying to take out this Bomber...

OH gently caress

Uh, thank you, kid, but I don't think that advice would have helped me avoid a game over from being blown into a pit. Guess I get to redo that again.

The next time around, the Monoku-Man puzzle works out on the first try, so that's also dealt with.

Our next collectible comes up when we chase the Monokuma kid in the hospital. Instead of pursuing him when he goes to the second floor, we instead need to head further up to the roof.

Here, we have to deal with four Bombers, which gives us some more welcome cash...

...and in the back, we find a collectible.

So this is the one that was close to Mondo. I have nothing really to say apart from that, so let's move on. That was the last collectible we missed, so on to the end of the chapter.

This time around, we get a perfect score. I probably won't get any A ranks on my first time through the chapter. I'm going to miss something anyway.

Listen up! Stay by my side, and I'll protect you for the rest of your life! That's an order! You are the dog, and I am the master! You have no right to decline.

And as a result, we get the highest praises from Byakuya. Well, for a certain value of "highest". I don't want to imagine what happened to Toko after she imagined this.

And as a reward, we get more Monocoins and a skill! The skill makes items slightly more likely to drop after killing an enemy. Not exactly setting the world on fire, but welcomed.

Also, to compare, here's the two save files - the top one is the one the updates have been made from, and the bottom one is the one I just made by blazing through this chapter. That's quite a lot more Monocoins!

Anyway, that's it for our quick replay of the first chapter. Next time, we'll head into the second chapter, and we'll start out by dropping in on the Warriors of Hope and seeing how they deal with Masaru being killed / horribly injured / beaten up but in alright shape / in a bizarre Schrödinger's Character state where he is both fine and dead until the writer decides what he needs him to be.