Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

Fart City posted:

Is there a way to effectively level up stamina? The bow is a lot of fun to use, but I can only use it for like five shots in combat before I have zero core.

Just run around. I’m at level 8 and still in the first down. Bow builds strength and health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i hope R* adds in poo poo like gatling gun carriages and armored river boats in multiplayer to reward moving around in gangs. wanna see that river boats from the mission where you rescue that one irish guy but driveable

Qubee
May 31, 2013

another point I forgot to whine about: I stumbled upon a bunch of guys building a rail line. the head foreman tasked me with figuring out who was stealing money from him. I follow the suspect, retrieve the money, then go back to the rail line. except it's now after bedtime, and all the chinese workers are asleep, the guards are extra frisky, and mr head foreman is in his tent poring over his booby sketches.

the guard tells me to gently caress off, but I ignore him cause uh I'm handing the money back to your boss, dipshit. I go to the boss, target him, and I can't greet or antagonize him. he also tells me to piss off? and then the guards start shooting at me, so I'm effectively left with a quest that has either failed, or is in a state of never-being-completed. so turns out even if the bossman hires you to track down a thief, if it's past curfew, the game doesn't take anything into account and treats you as a trespasser.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

sounds like you shoulda just waited till morning op

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

So I've gotten to the initial train mission, blow the doors, then captain dick stands in my way freezes so I cant get on the train. Tried everything and no other way in. Restart the game to try again and whoops the last auto save was an hour ago just after rescuing the dude on the mountain :suicide:

Not sure If I want to do all of that again!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It's like how if you hang around at your workplace in the middle of the night it's still trespassing, even if you work there

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga

Agean90 posted:

sounds like you shoulda just waited till morning op

sounds like he should stop playing all together.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

It's like how if you hang around at your workplace in the middle of the night it's still trespassing, even if you work there

except the dialogue at the start of the quest really didn't make it seem like the foreman was taking me on as a productive member of the work force. he used words that said he needed someone vicious to get the job done. i didn't think i'd be held to the same bedtime curfews as his workers, seeing as i was his mad dog let off the leash sort of guy? I also had $100 in my pocket to give him, you'd think he'd be able to stop reading his diary for two seconds to take the cash.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
this game is cool yet really clunky

I'll look forward to the update that makes witcher vision better

https://i.imgur.com/RqGwKBp.gifv

best way to make a good turkey carcass

https://i.imgur.com/m4nzpiu.gifv

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Qubee posted:

except the dialogue at the start of the quest really didn't make it seem like the foreman was taking me on as a productive member of the work force. he used words that said he needed someone vicious to get the job done. i didn't think i'd be held to the same bedtime curfews as his workers, seeing as i was his mad dog let off the leash sort of guy? I also had $100 in my pocket to give him, you'd think he'd be able to stop reading his diary for two seconds to take the cash.

well I hope you learned a valuable lesson that when the game tells you to gently caress off you should either gently caress off or get ready for a fight

Qubee
May 31, 2013

CharlestonJew posted:

well I hope you learned a valuable lesson that when the game tells you to gently caress off you should either gently caress off or get ready for a fight

no the game is bad (in some ways) and i won't stop until everyone knows it :argh: don't mention the word bandana, mask, or bounty in front of me otherwise i'll start foaming at the mouth

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

also i havent really had any issue with the controls and kinda dig the fact that you have commit when doing any action

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

Qubee posted:

lmao what a limp dick experience the (doctor's) back room poker game robbery is

sat outside town, changed my outfit, put an execution mask on. went in with two revolvers, a double barrel shotgun, dynamite and a repeater. figured I didn't know what I was getting myself into, so I may as well go in heavily armed. get the guy to open the back room up, rob the till, then throw a stick of dynamite into the room. arthur thinks it's great timing to slowly walk out the room, and the dynamite takes me off my feet, but not too much damage. the inside of the room looks like a blender after 7 strawberry smoothies have been made in it. go to loot everything I can, but the loot mechanic keeps on getting bugged, and arthur just stands around for 5 seconds, not letting me move or do anything, until the loot option comes up again and I can loot it.

I go up to the safe and try to use my easy lock tool to open it. no bueno? I lob dynamite at it, and arthur again slowly shuffles to the far side of the room. the blast puts me on my rear end for the second time that day. lawmen are calling outside, saying they know I'm in here. I'm an unknown suspect. I loot everything in the room, then go to leave through the back door (where I conveniently left my horse). I peek through the door slot. I let go. I peek through the door slot. I let go. the gently caress? there's a wooden bar locking the door and there's no way to open it, so I'm forced to leave through the front door (I tried shooting the bar, using my easy lock tool, throwing another stick of dynamite at it, nothing opened it). I bolt out the front door cause I know how loving janky the bounty system is, I ain't about to kill lawmen and end up with a $200 bounty again. the second I step outside, I go from "unknown suspect" to "arthur morgan" and my bounty goes to $27 straight away. I get on my horse and ride off into the sunset. a $200 robbery with a $27 bounty that I could do nothing about, it's just meh.

combined with the jankiness of the looting, arthur's unwillingness to haul rear end when he has to, and the hivemind lawmen AI collective somehow figuring out my identity despite wearing a full hooded executioner's mask turned what should have been a fun and awesome event into a shitpile of an experience. I dumped all my money into the ledger and just cheesed it by walking into the sheriff's office and turning myself in????

nice. I save scummed this and tried a bunch of different tactics. I tried shooting every single lawman to death. $200 bounty. I tried fleeing without fighting, $27 bounty. I tried killing the doctor, no dice. what the gently caress man.

Ha, this is the same robbery I was bitching about. Also I am a PC gamer and I freely admit to being dogshit at shooting on consoles. There were a few times I died from loving up aiming and that's on me, I wasn't complaining about that. But no this isn't my first console game - poo poo, I got to rank 100 on GTA:O on consoles before PC came out. The controls are objectively poo poo that I could see working up to "OK" when you get used to them.

Is this YOUR first video game, anime nerd? :smug:

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

When I happened by that couple living in that house not near anyone who really, really want you to come inside it didn't take Nancy fuckin' Drew to figure out what was going on. The human bones in the cupboard upstairs confirmed my suspicions. I crept on the lady upstairs and gave her the shiv. Her husband came up the stairs and began to walk through the door as his wife hits the floor and then I gave him a taste of the steel as well. :black101:

Dang It Bhabhi! fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Oct 28, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Some people just don't enjoy good video games. Glad I'm not one of them.

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.
Game is bad. Died during my first duel because I was trying to read the tooltips.

Game is good. On our way to get drunk, Lenny ran into a stagecoach, flipping himself and his horse. He got up and proceeded to start shooting and chasing said stagecoach.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

TMMadman posted:

Ugh, crafting one single piece of ammo at a time is loving brutal.

Had to break out the rubber band to craft the stacks of splitpoints.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Arthur dislikes John, Bill, Sean, only likes Lenny, seems to be regular with Javier, who does this guy like and why’s he always THE GANG THE GANG

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Calaveron posted:

So Arthur dislikes John, Bill, Sean, only likes Lenny, seems to be regular with Javier, who does this guy like and why’s he always THE GANG THE GANG

He likes Dutch?

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

He likes Hosea as do I and im gonna be real sad if Hosea dies

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

TMMadman posted:

Ugh, crafting one single piece of ammo at a time is loving brutal.

Especially when you can buy boxes of the upgraded rounds at the gunsmiths for like $1.50

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Calaveron posted:

He likes Charles, Hosea and all of the womenfolk! And hes definitely right in hating Micah, guy can gently caress off.

I was watching my roommate play the early parts of this game (a little behind me, I'm nearing the end if Chapter 2 but loving around a lot) and hes going into town unaware that the 'everyone hangs out in the saloon then starts a fistfight' mission was waiting for him then accidentally starts a gunfight when he trips a guy trying to walk to the gunsmith. I assumed he would die when a million townsfolk and lawmen descended on him but the nearby gang came out and actually helped him, and within a few minutes they had literally saved him by killing all of the cops. Of course more showed up and he died because he can barely shoot right but it was cool to see that the friendly AI for gang members is active outside of missions as well.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

this game's controls are dogshit, but i saw online a klan ralley getting blown apart by dynamite so I guess I'll play until then

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I still haven't worked out what, if anything, having a bounty locks you out of. I think the game expects you to have a bounty at all times.

A friend told me that you can't steal and sell stagecoaches while you have a bounty, but I'm almost certain that's only if you have a bounty in that specific area and I haven't validated it.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Calaveron posted:

I think it's more like friendly insults for the most part. I get the feeling that the only member of the gang Arthur really dislikes is Micah because he's loving madman.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
How to make a 10/10 game.

Make the combat and movement terrible

Have the game crawling with NPCs that may or may not be hostile

Call the resulting mess "emergent gameplay"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

abigserve posted:

I still haven't worked out what, if anything, having a bounty locks you out of. I think the game expects you to have a bounty at all times.

A friend told me that you can't steal and sell stagecoaches while you have a bounty, but I'm almost certain that's only if you have a bounty in that specific area and I haven't validated it.

You definitely can't use the stagecoaches that are always near post offices. They get locked out. That's all I've seen, really.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

When I happened by that couple living in that house not near anyone who really, really want you to come inside it didn't take Nancy fuckin' Drew to figure out what was going on. The human bones in the cupboard upstairs confirmed my suspicions. I crept on the lady upstairs and gave her the shiv. Her husband came up the stairs and began to walk through the door as his wife hits the floor and then I gave him a taste of the steel as well. :black101:

I didn't find any bones! I'm gonna find that house and burn that motherfucker down.

Also I gotta stop reading this thread because y'all have a very different idea of spoilers than I do.

Unponderable posted:

Game is bad. Died during my first duel because I was trying to read the tooltips.

Game is good. On our way to get drunk, Lenny ran into a stagecoach, flipping himself and his horse. He got up and proceeded to start shooting and chasing said stagecoach.

This happened to me duelling too. I currently have no idea how duelling works. A checkpoint that lets you keep practising would've gone appreciated.

Wolfsheim posted:

He likes Charles, Hosea and all of the womenfolk! And hes definitely right in hating Micah, guy can gently caress off.

I was watching my roommate play the early parts of this game (a little behind me, I'm nearing the end if Chapter 2 but loving around a lot) and hes going into town unaware that the 'everyone hangs out in the saloon then starts a fistfight' mission was waiting for him then accidentally starts a gunfight when he trips a guy trying to walk to the gunsmith. I assumed he would die when a million townsfolk and lawmen descended on him but the nearby gang came out and actually helped him, and within a few minutes they had literally saved him by killing all of the cops. Of course more showed up and he died because he can barely shoot right but it was cool to see that the friendly AI for gang members is active outside of missions as well.

This reminds me of when I had a 300 dollar bounty in West Elizabeth, I was doing a mission and heard a random encounter start. Went closer to investigate and learned it was O'Driscolls and lawmen fighting each other. Noped the gently caress outta there, knowing my luck they would've all turned on me.

Also, yes, Micah is an rear end in a top hat.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ditty bout my clitty posted:

How to make a 10/10 game.

Make the combat and movement terrible

Have the game crawling with NPCs that may or may not be hostile

Call the resulting mess "emergent gameplay"

Maybe you shouldn't be poo poo at video games

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The best way to overcome bounty rage is to permanently wear the hessian sack mask and run around stabbing everyone in sight.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Over There posted:

Maybe you shouldn't be poo poo at video games

Maybe you should release R* flaccid cock from your gaping anus

Runaway Legs
Oct 11, 2012

Not a hat
Fun Shoe

Unponderable posted:

You're not alone. I'm still not sure how it works, to be honest. Even though I'm able to shoot guns out of the hands of suicidal teenagers.

Other than that I'm pretty happy with the shooting in the game. I haven't changed anything, still rocking the default settings. Duck and cover, pop out to auto aim at center mass, nudge the reticle up a little for headshot and duck back behind cover. Switch up cover as they flank and use bullet time if they try to swarm me.
I still die sometimes, usually because I'm not gud and don't bother to get behind cover because there's only four of them.

Btw lost against the train again. Smashed a wagon this time. Gotta learn to look before I cross.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I beat up a man for his raccoon hat, good game.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Maybe you should release R* flaccid cock from your gaping anus

You're literally the worst poster on these forums and posted a picture of a dead kitten in the cat thread. You should just self ban and save people the trouble of reading your posts ever again.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Game is long. Spent all weekend playing and mostly straight story missions, still at chapter 3.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Okay, what do I do with these legendary animal pelts before I find the trapper, who I know is somewhere near the big town I haven't got to yet. I have 3, and the bear one seems to have disappeared, but I have two other ones that have been sitting on the back of my horse for weeks now, and I can't take them off (they're grayed out on my inventory screen). Should i just leave them there?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Over There posted:

You're literally the worst poster on these forums and posted a picture of a dead kitten in the cat thread. You should just self ban and save people the trouble of reading your posts ever again.

Ok mr.esteemed forums user "over there", so this is how the world's most tender snowflake says "kill yourself".
I'm kind of underwhelmed, much like I was with this game.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I accidentally ran into a tree riding my horse and freaked out for a moment because I thought I had killed my horse with severe blunt trauma. But he got up and shook his head, and I fed him a pear and told him he was a good horse and he seemed fine.

However last night when I last played my horse was a female black and white doppled horse, and this morning my horse is apparently a brown male horse. A transgender transracial horse, pretty cool that Rockstar is pushing these progressive boundaries tbh.

Also, and I say this as a broken brained Destiny addict, it's kind of sweet to play a game that isn't concerned with giving you constant rewards for that sick dopamine rush. They've created a world to marvel at and for once I feel satisfaction simply from existing in and experiencing things there, if I get some money or a new gun it's just a nice bonus. Quirky controls aside this could be a strong contender for game of this generation for me.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Drinking with Larry is the best and most frustrating quest so far. I wish the game would just decide if it wants to be a free roam open world game that you react to or a highly scripted movie game. It keeps feeling like someone tricked their way into getting their wild west simulator by hiding it inside of a standard AAA game and the freedom in the game makes the walls that it does have that more frustrating.

Here's a good example, can I not rob closed stores? As far as I can tell the game just lets me jiggle the handle and tells me the store is closed. If I'm playing a rootin tootin cowboy can't I kick down the door, consequences be damned?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Okay, what do I do with these legendary animal pelts before I find the trapper, who I know is somewhere near the big town I haven't got to yet. I have 3, and the bear one seems to have disappeared, but I have two other ones that have been sitting on the back of my horse for weeks now, and I can't take them off (they're grayed out on my inventory screen). Should i just leave them there?

The trapper also randomly appears in the woods in little temporary camps sometimes and convinently seems to do so whenever you acquire a legendary pelt -- check the index on the main map and scroll down and make sure there's not a marker somewhere.