Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Out of all the bigger companies to try to acquire them, IBM is probably the least terrible option for Red Hat. They aren’t a nice company (an understatement, I know), but they will probably change things the least of the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Coulda been Oracle or MS...

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
rip CoreOS

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

Coulda been Oracle or MS...

Microsoft would of been really nice

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Viktor posted:

Microsoft would of been really nice

Everyone's (ballmer) head would have exploded.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I legitimately think MS would have been a better suitor. Anyway, maybe in a year I'll look back at how wrong I was but I expect nothing good to come from this.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Double Punctuation posted:

Out of all the bigger companies to try to acquire them, IBM is probably the least terrible option for Red Hat. They aren’t a nice company (an understatement, I know), but they will probably change things the least of the others.

This. They've been playing footsy under the table for years anyway. I wonder if it was Microsoft's moves into the Linux Foundation and Github that made them take the plunge?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Buy Canonical and merge the Ubuntu Unity phone with Windows Mobile

E: not even YOSPOS lol

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Methanar posted:

Everyone's (ballmer) head would have exploded.

Considering a lot of the github acq, new development is electron based and things like sql server /.net core run on Linux and adoption of containers I think their heads exploded long ago.

With azure and the need for aks to improve I would of figured they would of been a real fit.

Red hats made a fair bit of progress getting the OS running on ibms power le hardware with 7.x makes sense if IBM wants to phase out aix

astral
Apr 26, 2004

It is still too early for scary halloween stories, Red Hat. :(

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Methanar posted:

rip CoreOS
Basically half of CoreOS left pretty soon after RH acquired them, so they were already RIP.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

minato posted:

Basically half of CoreOS left pretty soon after RH acquired them, so they were already RIP.

I’m curious about this when isn’t bluemix cloudfoundry based? Not sure why they would want openshift/coreos

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

loving IBM. Anything they buy ends up with a lack of updates and slowly dies.

loving IBM. MS would’ve been so much better. The only thing worse would’ve been Oracle.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
What was the last thing oracle bought

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
a Red Hat subscription so they could draft off RHEL

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
loving hell is all I can say. Red Hat and derivatives are most of my Linux 'experience', whether that goes for adminning RHEL and CentOS boxes at work, running CentOS as my go-to server environment at home and being a keen advocate of Fedora over Ubuntu as my desktop Linux of choice. IMHO Fedora is a much better daily desktop than Ubuntu with only a slightly higher learning curve for noobs.

loving hell.

My immediate thought was "well I suppose they can fork", but the Red Hat stream of OS'es is too big a project to fork, isn't it? Is it?

Not impressed. I'm sure my oppo at work won't be impressed when I tell him the news tomorrow. :-(

EDIT: I couldn't help but message my workmate. His reply, verbatim:

"ah gently caress"

apropos man fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Oct 28, 2018

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I used to work for a company that got acquired by IBM, and I can say it didn't make anything better.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

apropos man posted:

My immediate thought was "well I suppose they can fork", but the Red Hat stream of OS'es is too big a project to fork, isn't it? Is it?

There's nothing to fork, at least not near term. Both centos and scientific linux (not really sure if there's any other live+free rhel clones are out there atm) have shown that as long as the srpms continue to get published a rhel based system is not hard to produce.

(yes, centos is owned by redhat now, but it ran for a long time on its own)

My feeling is IBM influence won't be felt for a couple years.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
What a great time to be a Debian admin!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Methanar posted:

What was the last thing oracle bought
The last important one I can think of was Dyn back at the end of 2016

e: I guess it was Moat last year. Dyn was in the neighborhood of $600M and Moat was about $850M if I have my numbers right

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Oct 29, 2018

bort
Mar 13, 2003

I think this is just to gain control of RH patents. IBM can then sue Oracle and smaller cloud businesses. I hope it will not change RH day to day very much, but who knows. It’s not good for anyone but IBM and Whitehurst's bank account.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

LochNessMonster posted:

loving IBM. MS would’ve been so much better. The only thing worse would’ve been Oracle.

LOL. There there, Microsoft will buy Ubuntu.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Yeah, Microsoft would be so much better, the company that laid off their entire QA department and was surprised when a released upgrade deleted people’s documents from their home folders, despite said problem having been reported during the beta.

Also, I wouldn’t worry too much. SUSE is on its fourth takeover now, and it’s still pretty good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I like how the world has changed to the point where we've gone from slashdot style zero irony "M$ GONNA DESTROY LINUX" to preferring them owning a linux distribution than IBM, the company we were all cheering for when SCO was still a thing.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

these april 1st jokes are stupid

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Vulture Culture posted:

The last important one I can think of was Dyn back at the end of 2016

e: I guess it was Moat last year. Dyn was in the neighborhood of $600M and Moat was about $850M if I have my numbers right

They did another one after Moat for $1200M, not sure what it was besides a SaaS platform.

eames
May 9, 2009

ewe2 posted:

LOL. There there, Microsoft will buy Ubuntu.

Seriously though, i‘m surprised Microsoft hasn’t bought Canonical yet. I’m no industry insider but it seems like it’d be a perfect fit.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I know Bryan Lunduke is a bit of a nutcase but I don't think he's crazy to see Microsoft's recent moves as being a bit more subtle than just buying up open source corps. IBM still have to make those billions turn a profit, Microsoft may just be content to get the Linux Foundation on the hook and head off developments that they deem anti-competitive. It might be a hell of a lot cheaper than buying Canonical.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

minato posted:

a Red Hat subscription so they could draft off RHEL

This is much funnier than it got credit for.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Trying to do a CentOS install via kickstart on some wonky machines with NVIDIA cards; the text installer (it's all automated) seems to be dying at some point in the install on these machines but I can't tell because the screen is garbled. First time I've seen something like this in text mode.

Is there some kernel boot argument I can pass to switch the console mode being used? I didn't see much that would be immediately useful in here aside from the usual 'remove quiet and rhgb' which aren't really applicable when you can't see the text to begin with.

Alternatively is there some way to use the graphical installer and still read everything from a kickstart file? I have a bunch of pre/post-install scripts that need to run as well, but so long as those execute I have no problem clicking 'next' a few times or whatever.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 31, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

anaconda defaults to graphical install, even when using a kickstart file. Edit the ks.cfg to get rid of skipx and text options and I'd think that will do it.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
That's just the problem, the text installer has graphical corruption. The only options in use are inst.ks and rd.skipverifyssl or whatever it is to skip the SSL certificate validation.

Only occurs on these specific machines. Any others and the whole process is zero touch, boot and it's done two minutes later.

I did one machine manually with a graphical install and that worked fine so... for whatever reason textmode anaconda is busted?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
nomodeset might be worth trying.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Pretty sure I tried that and got a black screen. I'll try again tomorrow morning and report back.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

G-Prime posted:

nomodeset might be worth trying.

Seconding this suggestion.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
This is the command I use when installing CLI-based Anaconda installs on my headless box:

code:
# virt-install --network bridge:br0 --name=WHATEVS --memory=2048 --vcpus=2 --disk path=/var/lib/libvirt/images/WHATEVS.qcow2 --graphics none --location=/var/lib/libvirt/images/iso/CentOS-7-x86_64-Minimal-1804.iso --extra-args="console=tty0 console=ttyS0,115200"
The helpful part may be the console settings/and or "graphics none"

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
nomodeset is indeed just a black screen.

Guess I'll just be doing the install by hand using the default media, ugh.

Edit: 2x Quadro GP100. Turns out console just doesn't work at all through a clean minimal install. X or bust.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 31, 2018

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Sheep posted:

nomodeset is indeed just a black screen.

Guess I'll just be doing the install by hand using the default media, ugh.

Edit: 2x Quadro GP100. Turns out console just doesn't work at all through a clean minimal install. X or bust.

blacklist nouveau and nomodeset?

mystes
May 31, 2006

I had similar problems with a laptop I bought recently and nouveau was the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this (hopefully it is) but I am trying to write a sed one liner to find a string which is wrapped in curly braces, and then once its found that string, expand the selection to the leading and trailing curly braces, and then delete everything.

An example of the file I'm working with looks like this:

code:
{
  package => 'package',
  version => '1.0.0',
  commands => [
    ['jslib', '.'],
    ['thing1','thing2'],
    ['other','thing']
  ]
},
{
  package => 'winston',
  version => '1.2.3',
  commands => [
    ['jslib', '.']
  ]
},
{
  package => 'other-thing',
  version => '4.2.0',
  commands => [
    ['thing', '.'],
    ['thing', '.'],
    ['thing', '.']
  ]
},
{
  package => 'wrench',
  version => '1.0.0',
  commands => [
    ['jslib', '.'],
    ['thing','bin']
  ]
},
And what I'm trying to do is to find 'winston' (or any of the other ones) and then delete its top and bottom braces (plus the trailing comma), so this:

code:
{
  package => 'winston',
  version => '1.2.3',
  commands => [
    ['jslib', '.']
  ]
},
I thought sed would be the easiest way to do this but I am not having very much luck. I was hoping that something like something like this would work:
code:
sed -i -r "/\{\n\s\spackage\s\=\>\s\'winston\'\,(.|\n)+?\}\,/d" ~/test.txt
No errors with this, but no changes to the file either.

Can anyone help me write a sed command that makes sense for this or guide me in a better direction? I'm also using double quotes in the line above because I will eventually want to pass a variable to the command.

I've checked with a couple PCRE regex validators online and my regex seems correct, so I thought that sed -r would be sufficient to parse it, but it seems like I might be miles off trying to just use sed, even running
code:
cat ~/test.txt | sed -r "/\s\spackage\s\=\>\s\'winston\'/d"
won't remove the single line containing package => 'winston',

post hole digger fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Nov 2, 2018