Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I do not get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I didnt even notice Saw hitting the bottle of jack

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

Gaolang definitely has some "pride of a warrior" poo poo going on, given his reaction to Saw Paing giving up after losing.

You'd be mad at Saw too if he stopped smiling. Dude's a broken man now and Gaolang can't stand to see his friend down in the dumps.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Brought To You By posted:

You'd be mad at Saw too if he stopped smiling. Dude's a broken man now and Gaolang can't stand to see his friend down in the dumps.

Yeah but his reaction wasn't "holy poo poo Saw what's the problem, are you alright buddy", it was "jesus christ you loving disgust me, dude, get ahold of yourself".

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Kanos posted:

Yeah but his reaction wasn't "holy poo poo Saw what's the problem, are you alright buddy", it was "jesus christ you loving disgust me, dude, get ahold of yourself".

Gaolang specifically doesn't know about the whole backroom deal where Saw's loss will cause destruction of his home village and thinks Saw is just sore loser who completely breaks down after a single defeat. He would presumably react differently if he knew whats up.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Gao will learn what happened and lose his poo poo

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

verbal enema posted:

I want that to be why he’s so angry and why he’s so hyped to fight Fang. He’s going to bet on himself and save his friend’s home.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

If Agito likes to beat people with their own styles, what would he do against Bando?

But what I really want to see is him in a pro wrestling match against Seki.

I assume Fang simply resorts to the most effective configuration of martial arts required to beat an opponent he can't really copy. Like I expect he has unreasonable physical strength but I don't see him beating Wakatsuki in plain rear end brawling, which is why he did whatever he did to his ankle. Presumably this is why Toyo Electric just went with the ultra musclehead who disdains technical fighting.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kanos posted:

I mean, in his character bio (if I remember correctly) he desires a fight to the death. And his whole fight with Kaneda highlighted his disdain for the gimmicky fighters and "weaklings" that entered so he has standards and pride as a fighter for sure. I'm not sure why he switched to boxing, but the only reason he's here is because Rama asked him too, and if Agito forces him to use kickboxing it's probably exactly what Gaolang would want since it would mean he's met an opponent that deserves everything he has to offer.

But If Agito is banking his victory on being a better boxer than Gaolang, I can see him being upset if he can't win on those terms. If Gaolang switches to Muy Thai, I don't see him being upset at that fact really. Unless the reason he switched was because he viewed it as weaker than boxing which wouldn't really make sense since he's a staunch nationalist and Muy Thai is the fighting style of his country. And losing won't really dent pride that either since it would make him a massive hypocrite given his comments to Kaneda about the fighter mentality, and his anger at Saw for letting a loss weigh so much on him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gaolang wanted to take on the world, and switching to boxing allowed him to do so.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, Gao's had Saw constantly challenging him to a rematch every since their one fight during their teens, so while that annoyed him he still probably held Saw in high esteem for his willingness to get back up and fight, so seeing Saw just give up like that was probably a major shock to Gao, who has no way of knowing what the stakes of Saw's fight were.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Im hoping we see Gaolong return to Muy Thai. Anyone seen Tony Jaa's awesome movies? I really hope the authors watched his movies and took on some drat awesome movies from his movies.

Also I'm hoping Gaolong will come very close to losing until he hears Saw's roaring voice cutting through the crowd's noise and he goes on to defeat Agito. It would just shake everything up, picking the winner is now much more interesting! It also means Nogi's chances of winning increases substantially (Gaolong's employer is part of the Four Dragons group).

Suspicious Lump fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 29, 2018

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Saw Paing :(

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

RareAcumen posted:

Wow, I totally forgot he had a CEO he was working under. I thought Rama XIII was his boss and that was it.

It's understandable.

The CEO barely shows up, I don't think he even made that much of an appearance during Kaneda vs Gaolong except in a flashback. His primary interaction with Gaolong was asking him about his past with Saw during Saw's fight.

Also, Gaolong's primary loyalty is to his king, he's just being loaned out to the CEO for the Kengan Tournaments, so it's even less of a relationship than other fighters and their CEOs.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

what if gaolang loses to fang but then backroom fights gensai to steal his spot so he can beat rei and rematch fang to save saw paing's village

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

there's no way gaolang would be able to beat gensai after taking a beating from fang

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe a pushover could come out of a match with fang relatively unscathed, but i doubt gaolang will go down that easily.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

verbal enema posted:

Gaolang's face is gonna crack open like the Kure patriarch's did when he learned about Karla's crush on Ohma.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

New chapter

https://mangadex.org/chapter/472652/1

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Looks like Agito is making it harder for himself so he can have more fun?

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

so the fang's gimmick is that he only wants to win using his opponent's same method (in this case, flicker stance) but barring that he'll settle for opponent's style (boxing)

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

He wants to be the best so he's excited to try and box the best boxer.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

alkanphel posted:

He also seems to have a conversation with himself. Now I kinda wonder if his gimmick isn't having split personalities, where he creates new personality for each style he copies and masters and then switches between them mid-fight. :allears:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Lt. Lizard posted:

He also seems to have a conversation with himself. Now I kinda wonder if his gimmick isn't having split personalities, where he creates new personality for each style he copies and masters and then switches between them mid-fight. :allears:

Yeah all the quotes around "Us" and "We" and "I" make it seem like he's got some headmates in there or something. Mr. Boxer seems like he's gonna have to tap out though, because Gaolang does not exactly seem impressed thus far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

alkanphel posted:

i think he's doing it to make his boxing better than gaolangs

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Lt. Lizard posted:

Given the way he talks about himself, I suspect he sees himself not as Agito, a fighter, but as the Fang, a line of fighters. He carries their history and legacy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

the most important reason to do anything

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Man, Fang is such a great heel. Always coming out trying to beat his opponents at their own game. He could just crush them with some mix of his vast repertoire of styles, but he wants to prove that he's actually the best at everything. It makes him more interesting, and also really satisfying to see him being beaten up by Gaolang!

Joseance posted:

the most important reason to do anything

Metsudo may be my favorite character in this series :allears:

I also liked the tidbit about the other bodyguard making his own eyepatch. This team is really good at adding just a little personality to even the most minor characters.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

where the red fern gropes posted:

so the fang's gimmick is that he only wants to win using his opponent's same method (in this case, flicker stance) but barring that he'll settle for opponent's style (boxing)

I think he's specifically doing this for Gaolang because Gaolong is The Best Boxer.

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

So out of the three of the Four Idiots who actually made it into the tournament, which one of them got the shittiest luck of the draw (I'm even counting Okubo here even though they purposefully went after the Fang in the first round), because man they got matched with some real drat monsters

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Hassad didn't even get to participate in something meaningfu. Or he did and I forgot? Iirc he got knocked off the boat as the most memorable thing he did. I'm sure he gets a role but for now he's just camping.

Also mockey got 1hko'd. Couldn't even do anything.

Gozo could've had rad fights but he had the misfortune of immediately facing Waka. Although I guess he was after that fight. He had solid fortitude considering his opponent's strength.

E: oh you meant out of a specific group of people. Well all these dudes are silly in their own way :v:.

Mindblast fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 29, 2018

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

where the red fern gropes posted:

He also had a huge battle hard-on for fighting Gaolang, as it turned out like two chapters ago so it might just be a rule that he's applying for just him.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I think Kaneda got the roughest draw of the four idiots. He immediately starts off with Best Boxer Gaolang (and loses) but if he won, he'd have to fight Evolving Fang of Metsudo, then Peak Condition Sen, then Friendly Master Genzan, which makes his last match for the block the "easiest," Ninja Wannabe Rei.

I guess Okubo counts too, just swapping Gaolang and Fang.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
What's really messed up is that both sides of the brackets have non-martial artists that would destroy what I'll argue is most of the roster; Julius and Bando. The former is just too muscley and strong to be overwhelmed by base technique, only a couple people really stand a chance at taking down Reinhart and Wakatsuki was his absolute hard counter being someone who can compete with the strongman.

Bando is not only an elusive fighter thanks to his flexibility, but when he's serious he has an attack that is faster than what a lot of people could follow, and he uses it with lethal intent exclusively, favoring headshots given his past M.O. If Sen didn't know to anticipate it, he would be dead. Even Julius is subject to sudden death to stretch arms since you can't layer muscles on your noggin same as you can your neck.

I know Muteba is the only non-martial artist to make it through the brackets at this point. But man did everyone luck out with only a broken leg for Sawada, and Hanafusa having some broken fingers and nanomachines in his neck.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Okubo is probably the "Four Idiots" fighter who could have gone the furthest if he hadn't been matched against an absolute top-tier fighter in the first round. While it's impossible to know for sure, I think he probably could have beaten most people in the tournament, with the exception of the absolute top-tier folks.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Muteba was someone who would be unbeatable if this wasn't a tournament environment and instead normal single fights. He has a bag of lies that he uses on every single opponent to force them to fight in the matches he wants and the diffculty he has in pulling that off is everyone seeing up close, on a day to day basis how he works.

His heart attack move would have hit and KOed every single fighter here, but now he's not only shown it (which in and of itself isn't important) but how he leads into it AKA but faking the relatively easily dodged eye gouges.

EDIT: Gao's the most popular character in the series, let's see what he can do.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012
Gaolang is badass and i wish he could win this one but he wont

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rei is at his weakest in this scenario because he is trying to be a non-lethal unarmed martial artist and that's really not where his skills lie

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think Julius muscles would make him unbeatable to all but wakatsuki since muteba says he'd rather Julius win

Raian was probably the biggest obstacle on that side if he actually used Kure techniques

Jose fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

halleys comet posted:

Gaolang is badass and i wish he could win this one but he wont

People said the same thing about Kuroki Gensai and look at how that one turned out.

Could've swore someone posted the tournament bracket with all the numbers for who picked in what order but this is the best I can do.