Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Corla Plankun posted:

what tech is even in raleigh? i've never heard of it outside of american capital cities quizzes

red hat lol rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Despite the amazing dysfunction at red hat described by suspicious dish and others I was seriously considering applying there.

Rip indeed.

(This isn't some ethical objection against IBM or whatever, this is me not wanting to board a sinking ship)

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
red hat, microsoft, sas, ibm, epic games, insomniac games, and 2 state colleges and duke

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

there's a ton of niche consultancies and hardware vendors you've never heard of there too

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Corla Plankun posted:

what tech is even in raleigh? i've never heard of it outside of american capital cities quizzes

raleigh is not really a place in itself, it's this whole big fuckin spread of towns you have never heard of in the "research triangle"

it's like the bay area but even more diffuse, because geography doesn't even concentrate the people in valleys/basins.

just rolling hills for miles and miles and miles with universities and tech campuses and awful suburban tract housing in every second valley

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Phone posted:

red hat, microsoft, sas, ibm, epic games, insomniac games, and 2 state colleges and duke

sounds like it all sucks just like duke, op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Sapozhnik posted:

(This isn't some ethical objection against IBM or whatever, this is me not wanting to board a sinking ship)

on the one hand, it is almost certainly not a "sinking ship" -- red hat is much healthier than ibm, and presumably ibm wished to use their vast cash reserves and great stock to purchase a firm with a more viable business model but less cash and stock value

on the other hand, well, i will quote myself from another yospos thread:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

you never know

maybe red hat's vigorous and customer-focused corporate culture will take over the decaying husk of ibm lol no i can't even finish this sentence

reality: the big red hat campuses in raleigh and boston empty out, six thousand new staff added at ibm bangalore

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

sounds like it all sucks just like duke, op

duke is a very fine research university

a pity about the name, the heritage, and all the rape

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

3/28/92 never forget

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
it's been years since i've looked into it, but i think a quarter or maybe a third of ibm's campus here is being rented by toshiba lol

or the even bigger lol: lenovo's office is right down the road

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I couldn't tell you what IBM does these days other than "fire old people". I know the answer is something like "professional services" or whatever but man thats so depressing, what a fall.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ADINSX posted:

I couldn't tell you what IBM does these days other than "fire old people". I know the answer is something like "professional services" or whatever but man thats so depressing, what a fall.

it's more depressing than it sounds, because their prof svcs business has been in free fall for some years now (turns out firing all the Americans and old people doesn't build a lot of customer trust)

as far as i can tell IBM's core business is borrowing money to issue stock buybacks. how they pay back the loans, nobody knows

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

How are db2 sales going? My old company was considering making it the standard DB in the org but then 30 seconds later made the sane decision to use MS SQL Server instead.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Corla Plankun posted:

tons

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
They still got service contracts with the US govt right? Must be getting money to research Hot Trends (second life, blockchain, etc) from somewhere.

That’s assuming that there is any substance to their research activities other than a flagpole that they run buzzwords up to see if the analysts salute

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 29, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

my job still pays at least five figgies annually for rational clearcase licenses

a small drip but i have to imagine they have a lot of leftover contarcts and licenses keeping them tooling along

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

clearquest too now that i think about it but i try not to

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
lmao clear case, truly a gift that keeps giving

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

lol if you dont use a depressiong amount of lovely rational software

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

literally the one thing on my resume i'm unironically proud of is dragging those fuckers kicking and screaming into something resembling the 21st century WRT version control

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
So what you’re saying, is, youd be interested in this clear case admin opportunity we’re recruiting for

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gazpacho posted:

So what you’re saying, is, youd be interested in this clear case admin opportunity we’re recruiting for

depends on if you're recruiting for "please maintain this" or "oh god please save us, we'll pay the deece six figgies for a few months just get us off this crazy thing"

i've done the latter and it is un fuckin pleasant going from clearcase to... who am i kidding, anything else if you want to preserve more than one branch of history (insofar as CC branches are even remotely like branches as we know em)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

better than staying on CC tho

whoever thought per-element versioning and branching was a good idea needs a wedgie

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Jk I’m unemployed & don’t represent anyone

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

qhat posted:

How are db2 sales going? My old company was considering making it the standard DB in the org but then 30 seconds later made the sane decision to use MS SQL Server instead.

db2 and oracle are both thrashing and dying

postgres is eating them alive on the low-end, and the high end is being stolen by distributed databases that handle large datasets better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ciaphas posted:

better than staying on CC tho

whoever thought per-element versioning and branching was a good idea needs a wedgie

clearcase was very obviously inspired by cvs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

clearcase was very obviously inspired by cvs

god, was cvs really like that too? i have no personal experience, i thought it was more like a somehow even lamer svn

point still stands, someone needs a drat wedgie here and it isn't me!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Ciaphas posted:

god, was cvs really like that too? i have no personal experience, i thought it was more like a somehow even lamer svn

point still stands, someone needs a drat wedgie here and it isn't me!

subversion was basically cvs, yes. at least, the design goal for subversion was to do everything cvs did, but not be a flaming shitshow disaster as far as client/server interactions

clearcase seems to have been designed to do everything cvs did, but the design goal was to plunder enterprise IT coffers, not actually accomplish anything

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

db2 and oracle are both thrashing and dying

postgres is eating them alive on the low-end, and the high end is being stolen by distributed databases that handle large datasets better

as an ex-employee of oracle as many of my now coworkers also are i can't emphasize just how happy it makes me/us to be slicing one of the thousand cuts they'll die of

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Raleigh is cheap, has a ton of local talent, one of the best local talent pipelines, and tons of expansion space. its a good place to stick a boring, highly productive hq

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

Raleigh is cheap

it's not cheap per se but it's less expensive than sf

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I haven't been there in years but I cant imagine its anywhere close to other tech hubs, especially ones on the coasts.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the office space is certainly cheap

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

raleigh is not really a place in itself, it's this whole big fuckin spread of towns you have never heard of in the "research triangle"

it's like the bay area but even more diffuse, because geography doesn't even concentrate the people in valleys/basins.

just rolling hills for miles and miles and miles with universities and tech campuses and awful suburban tract housing in every second valley

but can a computer toucher afford to live in these houses, that's the important question

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
a computer toucher can buy like 12 houses there.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I didn't get the job at Large Tech Co :(

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

DELETE CASCADE posted:

but can a computer toucher afford to live in these houses, that's the important question

of course

the only place in the world where a computer toucher can't afford to live comfortably is san francisco. ;)

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

i have a whiteboard interview at bigtech coming up in a couple weeks, and I’m already deep into studying data structures I never use* in my day job

*okay I guess I use a lot of hash maps implicitly without thinking about it

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I didn't get the job at Large Tech Co :(

Dang sorry weegee. Keep on truckin it's pretty clear you have some mad skills

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
Accepted an offer that's still in ${HELL_INDUSTRY} but I will get to handle a pitchfork and I'll have a few trusted coworkers with me in the boiling pits of sulfur :yeah:

and the figgies are better ofc