Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

sorry to the five remaining bsd users that linux got a decent init. maybe use linux then you can have a decent init too

setting up systemd-networkd to handle ENIs attached to k8s workers at runtime was ez-pz, just a file with like two lines. wildcard match on ifname and "yes use dhcp" hey we're done

systemd-timesyncd syncs time which is very needs suiting

systemd-resolved makes split dns on openvpn painless

i dont give two sloppy shits about monoculture or any of that poo poo. if poettering goes off the deep end and fucks everything up I rest easy knowing that some other insufferable nerd will step up to take a crack at starting processes for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeoHentaiMaster
Jul 13, 2004
More well adjusted then you'd think.
Is CentOS dead ? :(

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

The unix philosophy and piping everything around as strings sucks

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

BSDs only survive because they implement the more popular Linux APIs (see: GEM/KMS/evdev), not because anybody else cares to port their software to the BSDs. There are thousands of Linux-specific APIs and projects that you use every day that only "just barely" run on BSDs and nobody gives a poo poo. I don't know why people latched onto this with systemd.

A main reason for BSD continuing to be used and developed for is the licensing. If you want to build a closed source commercial project, then you're probably going to avoid GPLv3 and similar licenses, which means you're probably using bsd. A lot of financial software runs on bsd, mostly due to the licensing but also unix software compatibility for legacy code. Both OpenBSD and FreeBSD are on fairly secure financial footing due to this.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ozaFbqg00

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Broken Machine posted:

A main reason for BSD continuing to be used and developed for is the licensing. If you want to build a closed source commercial project, then you're probably going to avoid GPLv3 and similar licenses, which means you're probably using bsd. A lot of financial software runs on bsd, mostly due to the licensing but also unix software compatibility for legacy code. Both OpenBSD and FreeBSD are on fairly secure financial footing due to this.

see: ps4

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

NeoHentaiMaster posted:

Is CentOS dead ? :(

most likely

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

sony is conspicuously absent from the freebsd foundation funding list. a list that seems to shrink a bit every year. they have a few big donors, but you can count them on one hand.

if anything, pointing at the ps4 is an argument against using the bsd license for large software projects, because there is nothing stopping a multi-billion dollar company from going "yeah, thanks for doing 95% of the work for us for free so we can build a closed platform. maybe we'll throw some trivial patches back upstream if we have time, but don't expect much. so long suckers"

iirc, openbsd was so broke a few years ago they were begging for money just to keep the lights on.

The_Franz fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Oct 29, 2018

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

almost the only healthy projects with a permissive license are open core and primarily maintained by one or a few companies. healthy being debatable

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The_Franz posted:

sony is conspicuously absent from the freebsd foundation funding list. a list that seems to shrink a bit every year. they have a few big donors, but you can count them on one hand.

if anything, pointing at the ps4 is an argument against using the bsd license for large software projects, because there is nothing stopping a multi-billion dollar company from going "yeah, thanks for doing 95% of the work for us for free so we can build a closed platform. maybe we'll throw some trivial patches back upstream if we have time, but don't expect much. so long suckers"

iirc, openbsd was so broke a few years ago they were begging for money just to keep the lights on.

also the ps4 menus are an awful laggy pile of poo poo so not a great endorsement for bsd anyway

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

Corporations like BSD because they don't have to pay for it. Neither OpenBSD nor FreeBSD are on fairly secure financial footing due to this.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jit bull transpile posted:

also the ps4 menus are an awful laggy pile of poo poo so not a great endorsement for bsd anyway

but iOS somehow manages it

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The PS4 menus are incomprehensibly written in WebGL, which is why they suck.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

Corporations like BSD because they don't have to pay for it. Neither OpenBSD nor FreeBSD are on fairly secure financial footing due to this.

there are so many people and companies who rely on bsd that if either of those, probably netbsd as well, were in serious danger of shutting down they would get the money they needed. they're not large businesses like redhat but they're not going anywhere. i know it's the linux thread and ripping on bsd is de rigueur but they're nice to use and well designed with friendly communities, especially freebsd

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Broken Machine posted:

there are so many people and companies who rely on bsd that if either of those, probably netbsd as well, were in serious danger of shutting down they would get the money they needed. they're not large businesses like redhat but they're not going anywhere. i know it's the linux thread and ripping on bsd is de rigueur but they're nice to use and well designed with friendly communities, especially freebsd

ah yes the openssl model

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Broken Machine posted:

About 10 companies are listed as FreeBSD donors. The place probably gets around $300,000 a year in total, which, while not nothing, pays for a server, a sysadmin, and a developer.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

but I thought WebGL was the future

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

I assume IBM looked at how much they were paying Red Hat to maintain Linux on obsolete platforms like POWER and z/Architecture and decided it would be cheaper to just outright buy Red Hat.

was ibm ever paying for this?

i mean, yes, ibm paid for compiler development and such, but they historically favored suse

it seems to me that their partnership with redhat was more about joint sales forces than ibm funding anything @ red hat

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

there is one company that relies on freebsd, and they are a mostly-dead storage vendor (netapp)

sony and apple incidentally use freebsd, but neither one will notice if the paid freebsd developers disappear

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

openbsd lacks a secure financial footing because it is dogshit for idiots

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
if IBM ports over some OS/2 Warp themes, i'll be all over that because i am a person of awful taste, which has got to be their target market, certainly.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Suspicious Dish posted:

hahahaha
they get worse with every update too, and they inexplicably removed the ability to pin video playing apps to the main screen in an update. God I'd love more tea about how hosed up that machine's internals are

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

jit bull transpile posted:

hahahaha
they get worse with every update too, and they inexplicably removed the ability to pin video playing apps to the main screen in an update. God I'd love more tea about how hosed up that machine's internals are
yeah, it's just like when MS replaced xbox 360's blades for the dogshit "nxe". in general sony is trying to copy the 360 strategy of making all the right decisions before launch, then making all the wrong ones two years later and beyond. building up to them ultimately picking the wrong RAM for the ps5.

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

dns is a protocol. if you mean systemd-resolved afaik nobody actually uses it by default and it's an /etc/nsswitch.conf setting to opt in or out

ubuntu definitely uses it, because it completely broke dns resolution in 17.04: https://superuser.com/questions/1153203/ubuntu-17-04-systemd-resolved-dns-lookups-randomly-fail

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Laslow posted:

if IBM ports over some OS/2 Warp themes, i'll be all over that because i am a person of awful taste, which has got to be their target market, certainly.

OS/2 Warp: "let's take the windows 3.1 themes and bitcrush them!" My brother had the 32 floppy version.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Suspicious Dish posted:

haha lol wtf

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

the year of linux on ibm. oracle really needs to buy suse now

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
microsoft buys canoncical

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

openbsd lacks a secure financial footing because it is dogshit for idiots

isn’t open SSH’s development tied in openbsd and or does that get separate funding and separate governance because it’s so fundamental?

RE: PS4 WebGL menus ... guessing they don’t want to ship native code for every small UI change (I don’t own a console)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Coffee Jones posted:

isn’t open SSH’s development tied in openbsd and or does that get separate funding and separate governance because it’s so fundamental?

RE: PS4 WebGL menus ... guessing they don’t want to ship native code for every small UI change (I don’t own a console)

one of those cases where the line drawn is a lot clearer in the mind of some people than it is in any actual reality though

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Coffee Jones posted:

they have to ship webgl code instead doesn’t really make a difference. the menus work when you’re not online after all

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Suspicious Dish posted:

About 10 companies are listed as FreeBSD donors. The place probably gets around $300,000 a year in total, which, while not nothing, pays for a server, a sysadmin, and a developer.

more than that. they take in somewhere between $600k and $1.5 million in donations, depending on whether or not a large company like intel and/or some philanthropic foundation throws any huge amounts their way, and their operating budget is around $1 million

they finished 2015 way in the red, which i guess prompted them to step up their money game the next year, although their income seems to be tapering off again as they've only taken in about $400k so far this year

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
re: ps4 and webgl

the biggest work they have to do when shipping a new version of their UI is QA and having it written in webgl doesn't change that

it's just that the game industry loves using lovely web tech to build UIs for some reason (see also: scaleform, a flash player used by most major games)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Zlodo posted:

re: ps4 and webgl

the biggest work they have to do when shipping a new version of their UI is QA and having it written in webgl doesn't change that

it's just that the game industry loves using lovely web tech to build UIs for some reason (see also: scaleform, a flash player used by most major games)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_using_Scaleform#2016

lol, I hope that means that it's fallen out of fashion and not just that this list is incomplete

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

web based uis are always a mistake

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
option A: let your graphic designers use Adobe's Flash tools to design your game's glitzy animated UI, then shove it through an asset pipeline meat grinder to import their work into your game engine

option B: try to convince them to learn some terrible Lua poo poo and constantly restart dev builds of your game from scratch whenever they want to move a button five pixels to the left

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

akadajet posted:

lol, I hope that means that it's fallen out of fashion and not just that this list is incomplete

flash in general is rapidly dying thank god

scaleform is a relic from the pre-mobile period in the mid-00s when the trend was "everything is fast enough, just shove it through an interpreted scripting language"

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

akadajet posted:

hahaha no it's incomplete as hell

Sapozhnik posted:

option A: let your graphic designers use Adobe's Flash tools to design your game's glitzy animated UI, then shove it through an asset pipeline meat grinder to import their work into your game engine

this doesn't require the runtime to also be flash
and the action script code is written by UI programmers these days anyway (thankfully)

all you want the UI artists to have is a way to author vector graphics animations (flash should be used only as an authoring tool for that) and for a lot of things they're happier using illustrator anyway

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
we have sinned to greatly for flash to ever die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

The_Franz posted:

more than that. they take in somewhere between $600k and $1.5 million in donations, depending on whether or not a large company like intel and/or some philanthropic foundation throws any huge amounts their way, and their operating budget is around $1 million

they finished 2015 way in the red, which i guess prompted them to step up their money game the next year, although their income seems to be tapering off again as they've only taken in about $400k so far this year

also a lot of the core team is either financially independent or have a well compensated day job. a lot of the key foundation / dev members are fairly eggheaded and either profs or they work at big tech; places like MS, Cambridge etc

e: typo

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 29, 2018