Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Elderbean posted:

Yeah for an animated MA show there's no terrible fanservice. I anticipate some think pieces on why the show is SJW propaganda because of it.
Also I got a laugh out of Syphas sudden turn against the speakers aversion to books. "My people are stupid."

I think there's certainly an opportunity to do a tasteful sex scene in the next season, if they want to do that. A timeskip makes a lot of sense to me now that I think about it, and a with Sypha possibly being the mother to the next generation of Belmonts, preventing the line from dying out with Trevor there's a story reason to emphasize a sexual encounter, alongside wanting to show an important moment between two characters.

I also had just assumed that the next season would have the trio kicking butt together, but I think you could certainly follow either Alucard or Sylpha and Trevor and then have the person or persons you haven't seen for a chunk of the season show up to make the big save down the line, that's always fun. I'm also worried now because I get the feeling that one of the trio is going to get killed off next season and I don't want to lose any of them.

Strobe posted:

Episode 7 was a proper series climax done loving right and I must have watched it three or four times now because it's just so damned cool.

Same here, I just keep rewatching the fights and loving them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

All in all I thought it was pretty good, though the animation quality is still a little janky and the 3d effects next to it still look weird to me. I like how the whole thing is a look at how everyone who isn't Sypha and Camilla, mostly, are broken by the world, with the thing that ultimately defeats Dracula being a moment of clarity. It was a more interesting direction to take it than just monster whippin'.

What was the Dark Souls reference?

I mean, Carmilla was broken too. Most of her character stems from being the kidnapped teenage bride of a typically nasty vampire - it's interesting to look back at how she talked about Dracula's relationship with Anna in the context of that flashback.

In addition to what people mentioned about the Farron stance, that bit with Alucard's wolf form holding that sword in his mouth was totally another reference.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, Carmilla was broken too. Most of her character stems from being the kidnapped teenage bride of a typically nasty vampire - it's interesting to look back at how she talked about Dracula's relationship with Anna in the context of that flashback.

In addition to what people mentioned about the Farron stance, that bit with Alucard's wolf form holding that sword in his mouth was totally another reference.

Oh definitely, I only said "mostly" because she's also the only one of Dracula's crew to recognize how stupid and impossible his 'war' is and calls it and the rest out.

That was something else I liked as well - the show didn't even try to pretend that "kill all humans" was a thing they could even approach accomplishing.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh definitely, I only said "mostly" because she's also the only one of Dracula's crew to recognize how stupid and impossible his 'war' is and calls it and the rest out.

That was something else I liked as well - the show didn't even try to pretend that "kill all humans" was a thing they could even approach accomplishing.

I dunno, with Alucard talking about airships blanketing the world in darkness eternally and how literally nowhere other than the town with a Belmont in it managing to fight them off I think it's pretty doable. Probably not advisable though, because if you kill off all the humans then suddenly you've gotta live off of animal blood.

Episode 6 had me really worried though, because that fight with the big crow/bird whatever was really slow and kinda clunky. Thankfully that was the only rough piece of animation that I was able to catch and I enjoyed everything beyond that.

Aside from that I was very surprised at how much actually got accomplished this season. Very solid all around, looking forward to the next one.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Give me Simon.

I also sort of doubt however long this show goes for that Juste or Julius will ever appear.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samueldeats/status/1055782556203958272?s=21

:smith:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Actually I think you’ll find immortalizing your wife’s dead dog into a cartoon beloved by thousands, eventually millions is amazingly cool and good.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

Actually I think you’ll find immortalizing your wife’s dead dog into a cartoon beloved by thousands, eventually millions is amazingly cool and good.

The dog dying in the first place is kind of sad, though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

The dog dying in the first place is kind of sad, though.

Well yeah, but he gets better

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I find interesting about Carmilla is that despite being a ruthless, sadistic vampire who wants to enslave humanity, she's basically an agent of karma. Seriously, every single person she hurts has it coming in some way.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I find interesting about Carmilla is that despite being a ruthless, sadistic vampire who wants to enslave humanity, she's basically an agent of karma. Seriously, every single person she hurts has it coming in some way.

Carmilla was pretty much right about everything.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Motherfucker posted:

This show rules, although something always feels subtly off in a way I'm having trouble pinning down... still it dosn't detract too much because, it rules.
It's probably because Trevor didn't get kicked in the nuts even once. It ruins an otherwise perfect season.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's probably because Trevor didn't get kicked in the nuts even once. It ruins an otherwise perfect season.

Please, this season wasn't a bar fight. Have some class.

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, when literally every character you meet is an evil vampire or a human who has sworn to help wipe out or cull humanity it's hard to hurt someone who doesn't deserve hurting.

I also just realized that the trio never encountered The two forgemaster humans or Carmilla at all. Kind of interesting that there are threats still lurking around that the don't expect at all, even if their objectives might not be the widespread killing that Dracula wanted. Maybe we'll see more of the classic vampire story with them operating in the shadows and scheming among humans next season. The antagonists being unknown to the heroes also means that you can do either a quick sneak attack or them slowly advancing their plans under the radar and both give the bad guys a good way and reason to be presented as a serious threat, which is a good thing after how the season ended.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean other than Cezar it was a target rich environment.

Meinberg posted:

She was wrong about not turning into a giant skull that shoots laser beams.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Yeah for an animated MA show there's no terrible fanservice.

Family Guy and South Park have a poo poo ton of fanservice.

Meinberg posted:

Carmilla didn't understand why Dracula didn't forcibly convert his wife into the undead, when it was all but out righted stated it was insanely against her wishes and has a pyschosexual pet fetish with Hector, despite disdaining Dracula for the same thing. She's the entitled poo poo she thinks Dracula is, down to being motiviated by an empty promise to rule the world.

Godbrand was right about everything, as he was the only one to realize what Alcuard did, that Dracula wants to die and take everyone with him, and pointed out every flaw in everyone's plans.

The key thing to understanding Carmilla, who is the only interesting NEW character outside of Issac, is that it's the exact opposite of what the above poster stated. She was fine with being an abducted bride for an old senile vampire. She was mad that after she was turned and seduced into her current state with promises of riches, titles and power, that she was denined the titles and power. She's mad she was fleeced and scammed once she was allowed into the undead elite, not the the indignities or horror of how she came into her state as a Vampire.

She's the Vampire capitalist/neoliberal. She's okay with genocide, but wants to know why there isn't more Vampire Wallstreet CEOs

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 29, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

NutritiousSnack posted:

Family Guy and South Park have a poo poo ton of fanservice.

You appear to have completely missed the point of his post. He said that there was no fanservice (presumably of the titillating variety) here and that's unusual for TV-MA.

Carmilla being a massive hypocrite doesn't really make her wrong about anything she brought up. It's also not really true in the context of her 'relationship' with Hector, because she explicitly likened keeping an un-turned Human around to a pet. Her disdain is for him calling Lisa his wife when to her sensibilities he didn't have a wife he had a beloved cat.

Godbrand was right about Dracula only after Carmilla beat him in the face with it, and was also stupid enough to directly confront one of Dracula's loyal minions with conspiracy with no backup plan.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Strobe posted:

Godbrand was right about Dracula only after Carmilla beat him in the face with it, and was also stupid enough to directly confront one of Dracula's loyal minions with conspiracy with no backup plan.
Uh, She beats the poo poo out of Godbrand right after he calls out Dracula.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

He probably would have had more success if he tried turning Isaac into a boat.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Uh, She beats the poo poo out of Godbrand right after he calls out Dracula.

Whoops, got my memory of that episode backwards somehow. :v:

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Strobe posted:

You appear to have completely missed the point of his post. He said that there was no fanservice (presumably of the titillating variety) here and that's unusual for TV-MA.

Her disdain is for him calling Lisa his wife when to her sensibilities he didn't have a wife he had a beloved cat.

Yeah, Godbrand was an idiot and the biggest in the show, but he's the only one who saw through everything even if he had to have his head dunked into water into doing so.

My point there was Carmilla had a huge beef with Dracula because she projected her own issues onto him, and didn't seem to realize why the hell he was acting so crazy even after Godbrand found out and poo poo his pants, ranting about it. It's a deep character flaw, and of course will come into play for season 3

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
I do have to say though, you know there has to be time jump after Season 3 because people are already going When's Dracula coming back?

I'm hoping we get Rando of Blood/Symphony of the Night and then jump into Bloodlines, because screw you all I want to see the Castlevania version of Bram Stroker's Dracula

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Oct 29, 2018

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

NutritiousSnack posted:

My point there was Carmilla had a huge beef with Dracula because she projected her own issues onto him, and didn't seem to realize why the hell he was acting so crazy even after Godbrand found out and poo poo his pants, ranting about it. It's a deep character flaw, and of course will come into play for season 3

But she wasn't? Carmilla had a beef with Dracula because she fundamentally could not equate a human with a real person (vampire). That's not projection, it's a different values judgment. She ultimately didn't care why he was acting so off, she took it as a sign of weakness and put into motion her plans for a coup. Aside from a (completely sympathetic) fundamental misunderstanding of how dangerous Dracula was as an individual, her coup attempt would have been successful without Sypha literally throwing the entire plan in the river completely on accident. :v:

She's an arrogant bitch, and cruel, and manipulative to a fault, and those things will definitely come up again. Mischaracterizing Dracula's relationship with his wife won't, I wager.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Ice magic is my favorite magic and I turned into a 12 year old when Sypha started shooting ice at people.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
drat it was so loving good. I can't wait until I have some time to watch the entire run in one go.

It still feels very Dark Souls to me in its enviroments. Like Dracula's castle made me think of Dukes Archives a lot. Yes I know that's what the castle looks like, but it also can remind me of something else!

I loved Godbrand "I'm a viking! What do you expect!" but Its too bad he didn't survive longer. But I was down with a human taking him out.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I like how Godbrand’s battle cry is him yelling his name out over and over again.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Yeah the background paintings are great. I want to see more of the castle.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

With Symphony of the Night being one of the better known Castlevanias and prominently featuring Alucard, I'm thinking we're going to get to what's in there sooner rather than later. Heck with my very loose Castlevania fandom I thought we were pretty much there already.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also, there's some stuff in the show that suggests this is in the future? Or is that just wacky writing stuff.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

twistedmentat posted:

Also, there's some stuff in the show that suggests this is in the future? Or is that just wacky writing stuff.

No but Dracula is a supergenius who can extrapolate from tech that the Western World forgot during the dark ages.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DoctorWhat posted:

No but Dracula is a supergenius who can extrapolate from tech that the Western World forgot during the dark ages.

Ah, that makes sense. Just Lisa saying "wisdom of the ancients" which clearly included penicillin and a centrifuge. Like I can totally image that some horrible apocalypse happened that sent humanity back to the dark ages, probably caused by Dracula, but your probably correct.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

My favorite part was the climax of episode 6 when Sypha moves the castle and Carmilla doesn't know what the gently caress is going on and all of the carefully laid plans and intrigue on all sides collapses on our three doofus protagonists bumbling their way in. I almost wish that the season hadn't followed them up to that point, and focused entirely on the vampire court intrigue, then bust out everything falling apart, with an episode to catch up with Sypha and the boys.

Also, agreed on Godbrand being great. He's so great that it's also great when he's getting owned.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I sincerely doubt they set up Trevor, Stone, Isaac, Carmilla, and Hector’s plots for S3 and then will skip all of them.

I expect well probably skip to a fresh young Belmont baby, but I was really happy that a show with so many hot vampires kept all the T&A to the bare minimum. This show is gloriously violent, making it sexy would have detracted from it, and Warren Ellis sucks poo poo at writing sex scenes anyway.

I have to say the fact that this shows deepest themes are arguably Love, Loss, Childhood, and Daddy Issues really surprised me and I am genuinely impressed with the places it went. The perfect Halloween treat.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

I expect well probably skip to a fresh young Belmont baby, but I was really happy that a show with so many hot vampires kept all the T&A to the bare minimum. This show is gloriously violent, making it sexy would have detracted from it, and Warren Ellis sucks poo poo at writing sex scenes anyway.

I disagree with this, sort of. Eventually they have to have more Sex Vampire Action, and the interplay of sex and violence might be cliche, but it that's only because the soil in that ground is good and bears fruit. But with so much of these 2 seasons focusing on Alcuard's, Trevor's, and Dracula's depression and isolation, and hell grieving in general, there was little to no thematic space for it and would be counter productive. Trevor and Sypha might have found a romantic connection, but loneliness just blankets and submerges the vampires' lives in this show.

Alcuard must and does gently caress, but this wasn't the place or time.

And obviously season three will still be an adaptation of III and Curse of Darkness, but after that it's going to be time to move on to a new game.

It's obvious we're not going to see EVERY Castlevaina on here, the third season might be the last in fact, but if they were smart and it seems they are: Aria and Dawn of Sorrow would be a great way to end Dracula's story properly

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Oct 29, 2018

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

NutritiousSnack posted:

Alcuard must and does gently caress, but this wasn't the place or time.

I thought Legends was non cannon.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

I thought Legends was non cannon.

It's a good game dang it and Al being Trevor's baby daddy would have been funny! Also SoTN ends with him getting a girlfriend, hence why he's even around in Aria and Dawn.

Castlevania has always been a series against incels and volcels.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's obvious we're not going to see EVERY Castlevaina on here, the third season might be the last in fact, but if they were smart and it seems they are: Aria and Dawn of Sorrow would be a great way to end Dracula's story properly

I might be overestimating its cultural penetration, but I think that it would be a waste to skip over Symphony of the Night. It feels, to me at least, like the one big Castlevania game besides the original that people have heard of. Plus it brings back Alucard, and everyone loves Alucard.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
You have Alucard having crazy dreams about his father, but he's been hold up in the castle so long he's forgotten what year it is, and he goes out to find out that Trev is long dead but his descendant Simon is running around.

I do love for all their power, our heroes are a bunch of dummies, though Sypha seems more naiive than dumb. I do love Trevor and Alucards frenemies thing going on too.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Meinberg posted:

I might be overestimating its cultural penetration, but I think that it would be a waste to skip over Symphony of the Night. It feels, to me at least, like the one big Castlevania game besides the original that people have heard of. Plus it brings back Alucard, and everyone loves Alucard.

Yeah, I think if we're going by a 6-7 season prestige deal it would be: Castlevania 3/Curse of Darkness 1-3, Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night 4-5, and then Aria and Dawn 6-7

twistedmentat posted:

You have Alucard having crazy dreams about his father, but he's been hold up in the castle so long he's forgotten what year it is, and he goes out to find out that Trev is long dead but his descendant Simon is running around.

I do love for all their power, our heroes are a bunch of dummies, though Sypha seems more naiive than dumb. I do love Trevor and Alucards frenemies thing going on too.

This is always going to be a hole in my "do a nice bundle that ties Dracula's and Alucard's stories as the lynchpin" theory. Simon is just too iconic not to do, even if really there is only 1 season's worth of material in both his games, as he has no supporting cast or that much of a connection to Dracula.

NutritiousSnack fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Oct 29, 2018

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

This (and season 1) was so much better than it had any right to be. The fight scene animation especially was really top notch.

I wonder if Warren Ellis will write season 3 since the story line pretty much wrapped up at the end of season 2. Historically, it seems like he's always kicked off really strong plot arcs in comics and then bowed out and let other people write the rest of it when he gets bored.

When that loving song kicked in I actually went "WOOOO" and then had to explain to the people watching it with me why it was significant, thereby cementing my legacy with my friends as alphanerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Speaking of Warren Ellis, who I hope is working on Season 3, he has this in his latest newsletter, which is always interesting if you want to sign up for it orbitaloperations.com.

quote:

I had all my social media on for twelve hours during the launch of CASTLEVANIA season 2, because Netflix likes it when we're around for that. And then I switched it all off and it's not going back on until next year.

We won't hear from Netflix for a little while as to whether we launched okay or not, but the internet chatter I saw suggested things aren't too bad. The Powerhouse people watch it all a lot more closely -- I'm not sure if Sam and Adam actually slept -- and they seem to think people are generally happy.

My abiding memory of recording season 2 was getting Jaime Murray to giggle during one particular action scene, which she made into the creepiest, wrongest, most funny-horrible thing, to the point where I had to mute my mic because I was cracking up.

The weirdest part of doing this show is that I've discovered that I really enjoy working with actors.

Little known fact: the original plan was for season two to be four episodes, like season 1's order. I was partway through working it all out when everyone decided I was packing too much in, and then Netflix got on the phone and doubled the episode count to give me more room. Netflix have been absolutely amazing to work with.

This is where I should actually apologise to everyone at Powerhouse and MUA for episode 6. That episode almost killed everyone on the art and animation side.

I also apologise to all the people who tweeted things like, and I quote, "CASTLEVANIA GAVE ME DEPRESSION" and "Castlevania had no right to do that to me I didNT ASK FOR THIS"

All those comments led me to a beautiful and terrifying realisation: this is what it's like to be Kieron Gillen.

I rewatched the scene with Carmilla beating up Hector and the giggles really are amazing. The voice acting throughout is just so good.