Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016
Why are my dear bodies bady damaged when I trade them into the camp. Bitch I shot it once in the head with my rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

DrNutt posted:

"I loving hate this garbage game that I played for 77 hours in a single week two days. The problems are all definitely with the game and not my brain."

ftfy.

I'm enjoying the game a lot more in St Denis. Always was a city slicker

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Lord Kinbote posted:

Why are my dear bodies bady damaged when I trade them into the camp. Bitch I shot it once in the head with my rifle.

animals come with a pre-set quality marker, you need to find a two or three-star animal and shoot it with the required weapon and make sure it's one shot in the appropriate location to get a Good or Perfect pelt and carcass

it stinks

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

animals come with a pre-set quality marker, you need to find a two or three-star animal and shoot it with the required weapon and make sure it's one shot in the appropriate location to get a Good or Perfect pelt and carcass

it stinks

It owns. Also possums play dead if you shoot around them fyi.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i know very well what opossums do, thank you

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

best part about the hunting system is that you can just use a bow with an appropriate arrow and it works fine

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Oxxidation posted:

it stinks

Or, find a some drifter who set up a campfire and take theirs that are hanging if they have them. Rob those fuckers blind.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

You could go through the hassle of jumping through the many hoops, or you could rob and murder people.

Hmmm, choices, choices.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I left some dude hogtied on the train tracks for a photo op thinking he could wriggle off. But I guess they dont really wriggle much.

I ended up deciding MY ARTHUR probably want that overtly evil and cut him loose. I find it difficult not to play him relatively straight, unlike GTA.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"I wish I had some more money, I should do some hunting. I'll knock this main story mission out real quick and get to it."

"Sodom? Back to Gamorrah" a little bit into the Lamoya arc. A Bill mission in Chapter 3.

+$2500

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Pylons posted:

Wow. "The Iniquities of History" might be my favorite stranger mission in the game.

I just did this one. Very good

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I tried to hunt a cougar and the result made me jump a little bit when it loving jumped out of a bush and mauled me to death. The animal animations are loving incredible. Like, I'm probably going to fixate on how bad they are in most games after playing this.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The REAL Goobusters posted:

I just did this one. Very good

I can't be the only person who saw the outcome of this mission from the very beginning.

e: goddrat the Tier 10 beard is majestic

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Man am I glad I got one of the treasure hunts out of the way because it nets you some really valuable stuff. I used a walkthrough but the treasure maps give you a good reason to travel to diverse, cool areas. I need to do a ton of hunting now.

veni veni veni posted:

I tried to hunt a cougar and the result made me jump a little bit when it loving jumped out of a bush and mauled me to death. The animal animations are loving incredible. Like, I'm probably going to fixate on how bad they are in most games after playing this.

During my treasure hunt I rescued someone from a cougar but got mauled in the process. There was a huge, bloody claw mark on my back that later turned black as the blood dried.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Oct 29, 2018

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

It even ties into the amazing nighttime graphics. A trio of wolves rushed me and I was freaked out because it was the middle of the night so it was just 3 pairs of glowing dots rushing at me from the dark

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Night time rules in this game, walking around outside of Rhodes at night reminds me exactly of I would play in the woods when I was a kid in southern Georgia. The only inaccuracies are that Arthur hasn't been completely consumed by mosquitoes yet and there isn't as much meth.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm not sure where using glitches as fuel for speculation on headcanons falls in terms of compelling arguments, but

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Are robberies even remotely worth it? I robbed the doctor in Valentine and all there was in that room was a safe I couldn't quietly open that contained 20 dollars, a bunch of other junk and a 120 dollar bounty. It's a wonder how more outlaws are millionaires with marks like these.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

They can be sometimes. The trick is to hit the whole town if you can. One time I managed to rob 3 places and grabbed the train on the way out lol

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Are robberies even remotely worth it? I robbed the doctor in Valentine and all there was in that room was a safe I couldn't quietly open that contained 20 dollars, a bunch of other junk and a 120 dollar bounty. It's a wonder how more outlaws are millionaires with marks like these.

the other ones i've found were worth it op, both in terms of money, guns and :stare: factor

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jimbot posted:

I think the main payoff from that is the gun you can find because it's the best revolver you can get that early in the game. The cash isn't really worth poo poo and honestly don't even worry about bounties, just steer clear of the law and it will rarely even matte r

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Babe Magnet posted:

Night time rules in this game, walking around outside of Rhodes at night reminds me exactly of I would play in the woods when I was a kid in southern Georgia. The only inaccuracies are that Arthur hasn't been completely consumed by mosquitoes yet and there isn't as much meth.

Yeah I really like it.

My first thought was "oh hey it's actually dark at night in a video game. Awesome. and it looks great too" which quickly turned to annoyance when I realized I couldn't see a drat thing and bounced back into awesome when I realized I had a lantern and it's super useful.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Gay Horney posted:

people are getting so mad that poo poo is scripted. if you weren't online all the time you wouldn't know the difference.

Their lead up to the game was Rockstar screaming "It's not scripted!" and people on the internet yell about this stuff. Most opinions (aside from games journalists, who are 10/10 GOTY) I've seen haven't been raging about it No Man's Sky style. They're just split between people making GBS threads their pants over having to grow their beard out and people frustrated by controls/design decisions. Also the scripting tends to break in unfun ways instead of hilarious ways.

I'll still finish it unless I get another save-loving checkpoint thing happening, and manual saves reduce that chance to 0.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Why did Arthur lose his hat when I waited outside a store till morning and how do I get it back.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

expectations do mean a lot with this stuff. i'm a big time rockstar skeptic so maybe that's why i'm having such a good time??

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Pirate Jet posted:

Why did Arthur lose his hat when I waited outside a store till morning and how do I get it back.

any hat you actually own can be found at your wardobe in camp, and arthur's OG hat is always available on your horse. You can specifically tag other hats to be available on your horse as well.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't know why he lost it, but Arthur's hat is always on his horse.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Man, the mission in Saint Demis in the cemetary would be incredible if they did another undead nightmare

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Jimbot posted:

Did you try rob the back room and not the register? If you get him to go to the back room it is worth it.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lord Kinbote posted:

Did you try rob the back room and not the register? If you get him to go to the back room it is worth it.

He specifically mentions the safe. I guess he didn't have any dynamite.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Babe Magnet posted:

any hat you actually own can be found at your wardobe in camp, and arthur's OG hat is always available on your horse. You can specifically tag other hats to be available on your horse as well.

Your horse has a dedicated hat compartment?

Goty

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I think the enjoyment factor of this game is really going to depend on how much you can get into the head space of just rolling with the punches and not being concerned with playing "optimally" or whatever and also if you just really enjoy being a cowboy. That said I felt pretty gross and sleazy when I robbed an immigrant dude to collect his debt.

Speaking of gross and sleazy, were assisted baths really a thing in the old west? Like it was weird and I expected it to be prostitution but then it was so hilariously tame I loving lol'd.

Flooger
Dec 26, 2004

To all the people complaining about bounties: just ignore it.

I've had a couple hundred dollar bounty in every area I've went to and aside from lawmen showing up every now and then it doesn't matter.

What exact part of the US does this take place? I know parts are Texas and Louisiana, but what about the snowy mountains and lush green area?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003
I feel like this thread needs a gameplay tips section in the first post, or a whole second thread on how to do crap the game doesn't tell you about.

so here are my tips, as I spend almost all my time hunting.

How to get skin quality -

Legendary - Kill a legendary animal, with anything. Pelts do not degrade, corpse quality does not degrade, take the carcass to the trapper if it will let you. Swing buy a fence afterwards as well, you will either be able to make a talisman or have to pick up some specific junk to make the talisman from the animal part. You can also likely make new suits from the trapper, a complete outfit comes with benefits.

Perfect - kill a 3 star animal in one shot with an appropriate weapon. The actual weapon doesn't matter -
varmints (small game - racoons, rabbits, beavers, the like) require the varmint rifle/game arrows (crafted with your tools/at a camp, require a shotgun shell and flight feathers)

Mid size game (bigger than a rabbit, smaller than a cow - includes deer, boars, small elk, coyotes, wolves)- Regular Arrow/poison is the only way to be sure. Can also be done with a repeater rifle, but sometimes a vital shot kill will still lower the quality of the pelt.

Large game Full size Elk, Large Alligators, possibly a Moose - Improved arrows (made at camp with arrow/flight arrow) or Poison Arrows. Single shot with a repeater has always left the pelt intact for me (I use split rounds, not sure about express), but good luck with that. Head shots with an improved arrow will always kill the large alligators, recommend poison arrows for everything else on the list.

- a quick note on alligators - the small ones produce alligator skins, just like the large ones, but there's is a mid size skin, so you can carry more than one. Both will count for crafting requirements, so hunting the smaller ones is preferable if you're just trying to rack up skins quickly.

Good/Poor - kill something with less than 3 stars, or take more than 1 shot, or hit it with a larger caliber weapon than necessary. Each failure to kill the creature will lower quality by a star.

You complete each animals entry by: Studying it (Look at it and hold RB, binoculars are great for this), tracking it (binoculars are great for this, studying something almost always goes straight to tracking though), killing it, and skinning it. You do not have to track birds. Once the entry is complete, vital spots will be highlited in deadeye mode. This makes one shotting them much easier if you have unlocked precision deadeye targeting.

Most animals have spots they are more likely to appear in. The more you kill, the less that will appear there for a while - if you're trying to hunt down 3 star rabbits, for example, and rabbits just aren't showing up near your camp anymore - move north quite a ways, until the terrain changes, and hunt there for a while. Some game (rabbits, squirrels, deer, elk) have multiple types that appear in different terrains and can be found just about anywhere. Others (American Alligator) seem to be limited to one area only.

Legendaries are limited to one. If you lose the skin/carcass because you die before you can sell it, or it washes downstream, it will go directly to the trapper/talisman maker for you, but you will lose out on the cash for selling them the skin/carcass. You can find the appropriate legendary roughly where it appears on the map you are given by Hosea after helping him hunt a really big bear. If you haven't done his first quest, loving do it so you can get the horse brush and clean your filthy horse you mongrel.

Trapper/Fence - There is a trapper, he buys animal parts. It's just one guy, but he has multiple shops, the first one is pretty close to where you hunt the Legendary Bear and I believe you are directed to go talk to him after killing it. His main store is in Saint Denis, and is conviently located by a fence. The Fence buys luxury goods (watches, belt buckles, nice looking non-unique items you pick up in your quests) and also crafts legendary animal parts and the irregular bit of junk into talismans that do everything from increasing your stats to making the pelts you skin 1 quality higher.

Fast, easy money
If you want to unlock the camp upgrades but don't want to spend tons of time running around looking for cash, do the treasure hunts. There are two you can get right away - one you get from the stranger quest to go talk to a bunch of old gunslingers, and the one WAY up north by the area you spent chapter 1 in has the Poisonous Trail map in his cabin. The other one is another Stranger quest, just go south along the river outside your camp and it should be about where that river opens up into open ocean IIRC. Each nets about 2k in crap.

Camp Upgrades, or why did I buy this poo poo -
Most upgrades are cosmetic or pointless. The leather working tools allow the butcher to make you better satchels once you give him the right kind/amount of perfect pelts. Each one roughly doubles your inventory space for that category, and then the final legendary one triples the original amount held. The Chicken coop makes his stew (it's what he makes out of Carcasses you bring him, you'll notice they don't give you camp cash when you turn them in) give you gold cores when you eat it. Dutchs upgrade adds a phonograph so music can be played in camp, and the map on your wagon gives you quicktravel from the camp. Each station upgrade adds to the goods you can take, but you have to pay to restock them. None of them seem to be worth it, really, as I tend to have an abundance of stuff and ammo is cheap. The other ones are all cosmetic I think, they may add things to camp life that I haven't noticed or don't care about though.

Baths
If you use the trackers sight mode (both thumbsticks) you'll notice that you give off an increasingly strong odor as you play the game. Baths stop this odor, working light scent remover for a brief period of time. Not long enough to be worth anything, but they do "something." Scent cover does the same thing, even though it should be giving you a stronger odor, just one of small herbivores instead of human.

TheAnomaly fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Oct 29, 2018

Maxy Boy
Sep 7, 2008
My favourite glitch so far, I laughed my rear end off (no spoilers):

https://twitter.com/maxcham420/status/1056747853438058497

Sorry for the twitter link, I couldn't figure out a better way to post it with PS's weird media thing. Give it a look though lol

tjones
May 13, 2005

Flooger posted:

To all the people complaining about bounties: just ignore it.

I've had a couple hundred dollar bounty in every area I've went to and aside from lawmen showing up every now and then it doesn't matter.

What exact part of the US does this take place? I know parts are Texas and Louisiana, but what about the snowy mountains and lush green area?

Snowy mountains would probably be the Dakotas/Montana. Dense green mountain county is Appalachia (East Tennessee, Kentucky, Carolinas, Virgina).

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The legendary buck talisman makes it easier to get better quality pelts too, though it doesn't remove the star mechanism for animals so I don't know how efficient that is.

DrNutt posted:

I think the enjoyment factor of this game is really going to depend on how much you can get into the head space of just rolling with the punches and not being concerned with playing "optimally" or whatever and also if you just really enjoy being a cowboy. That said I felt pretty gross and sleazy when I robbed an immigrant dude to collect his debt.

Speaking of gross and sleazy, were assisted baths really a thing in the old west? Like it was weird and I expected it to be prostitution but then it was so hilariously tame I loving lol'd.

The game definitely positions Arthur as a garbage person in a much stronger way than it did with John in RDR1, though I kinda feel as though John's a little whitewashed in this one up to where I am. (Ch.3)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I may be completely out of stamina, but at least I can eat at camp now that I'm back!... Oh the stew and coffee isn't ready despite it being two days (and just handing over a deer and two wild turkeys)? Okay at least I can sleep-oh, a letter! A VOICE ACTED letter! Isn't that nice :unsmith:

Wait. Straus, why are you leading me away from my bed? Okay nice chat about debtors, now gently caress off and let me... I can't sleep (or shave, or access my wardrobe). OH, I can't manually SAVE either.

Because suddenly I'm in a mission. Because I had the nerve to read a letter before I slept... Guess it's stuffing canned peaches and beans down my face after all :smith:

For all the detail put in, it's so bizarre to be afraid to interact with literally anything. Lest I be locked out of basic functions like sleeping and saving.

Don't regret blowing about 100 dollars on horse accessories, even if that manual save was 45 minutes hour ago.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 29, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The legendary buck talisman makes it easier to get better quality pelts too, though it doesn't remove the star mechanism for animals so I don't know how efficient that is.

The game definitely positions Arthur as a garbage person in a much stronger way than it did with John in RDR1, though I kinda feel as though John's a little whitewashed in this one up to where I am. (Ch.3)

Word. To me it's a little weird that they kept the honor system in place because I feel like Arthur tends to be a piece of poo poo most of the time. I was trying to play as a white hat but it's kind of annoying to have the game push me away from it so I might just lean into the black hat a bit. I like John's voice a lot more too and hearing him in this game is painful because it makes me just wish I was playing as John.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Section Z posted:

I may be completely out of stamina, but at least I can eat at camp now that I'm back!... Oh the stew and coffee isn't ready despite it being two days? Okay at least I can sleep-oh, a letter! A VOICE ACTED letter! Isn't that nice :unsmith:

Wait. Straus, why are you leading me away from my bed? Okay nice chat about debtors, now gently caress off and let me... I can't sleep (or shave, or access my wardrobe). OH, I can't manually SAVE either.

Because suddenly I'm in a mission. Because I had the nerve to read a letter before I slept... Guess it's stuffing canned peaches and beans down my face after all :smith:

For all the detail put in, it's so bizarre to be afraid to interact with literally anything. Lest I be locked out of basic functions like sleeping and saving.

Don't regret blowing about 100 dollars on horse accessories, even if that manual save was 45 minutes hour ago.

Haha, yeah I ended up playing until like 2 am last night because without the minimap it's really hard to tell if talking to someone or interacting with something will kick off a mission.