Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B 13 because I don't want arguments about our actual untrained child soldier acting like a child with no training, like what happened last time we hired an actual child with no training and repeatedly refused to train them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A 5

B 12

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

A 8
B 13

Since we hired Gwen, we better get her into monster hunting shape! It will also be good to get the district to know us, and spread the word of what we can do.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
10, 12

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

A 8 B 16

Oh god why did we hire the orphan this is a huge waste.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
6/8-16

We are really loving broke.

Get gwendoltlynn to ask around for any monster rumours or facts. Check the monster manualnfor city dwelling things. Focus on monsters that have valuable parts but also too tough for the average mook to take down.

While she's doing that we go for a walk in the countryside looking for trouble.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Slaan posted:

8-16 we broke, dudes

Plan Slaan.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 4
The City of Whale, Eastern Outskirts

Part 2: Tell-All
Current Region: Huddik

You know, when you put it like that, our life has in fact been nightmare fuel.

A: Where shall ISTEC find its next contract or source of wealth?

Vote: 8: The Dorsal
- Home sweet home.

Let’s stay close to home for now.

B: And what do you and your recruits do in the meantime, when they are not searching for work?

Vote: 12: Help around HQ
Clear those boulders! And put them over here.... don't ask my why.

Let’s get HQ up and running.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Ask FIB if they’ve got any contacts that can train our medic-child

Any chance FIB could cover the training costs?- it’d be advantageous to the mission to have a medic keeping us alive after all

Yo Dago, where abouts could I find you, you know once I get a bit more of an income stream?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Please don't play with the Dago.

Wait, isn't dago an ethic slur?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Yes.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Seriously? Sigh. Not intentional. I'll set the Kobolds to changing it to.... uh, Lado. Yes, sure.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Degu :3:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

alpaca diseases posted:

Yo Dago, where abouts could I find you, you know once I get a bit more of an income stream?[/B]

If this is an option, then I want to ask Patchworks for his contact information as well.

Yo Patches, what's your Whatsapp, Dog?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Slaan posted:

8-16 we broke, dudes

THIS.

STAB THE MONEY OUT OF SOME BADS.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I feel life as a monster hunter is way more manageable without a mountain of debt. Quackeen's greed is really stifling potential Forest fighters.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

I feel life as a monster hunter is way more manageable without a mountain of debt. Quackeen's greed is really stifling potential Forest fighters.

Ashy the Dire Bear says "Only YOU can start Forest fires!" Start you career as a monster hunter today!

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I just remembered we've lost the owlbear cubs. :smith:

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

I just remembered we've lost the owlbear cubs. :smith:

I though we're getting them back? They're coming to us, along with Duck Girl?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

CourValant posted:

I though we're getting them back? They're coming to us, along with Duck Girl?

Maybe we can win win and they'll eat her along the way.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 4
The City of Whale, Eastern Outskirts

The Third of December, 347 A.R.
Part 3: Looking for Work?
Current Region: Huddik

Your focus remains, as ever, to Get Paid, and to that end you send your new recruits out into The Dorsal, the factory-laden area of which your plot of land is part of, to go pester the locals for opportunities to rid them of their money in exchange for your aid.

One by one your recruits leave the shack that is your home, letting you stew in your godly headache and rock-pushing labour whilst they search for a chance at that sweet sweet lucre.

And so, day passes into night.

---

Elsewhen, elsewhere.

You dream of a far away place, an abandoned village covered in fog, the twilight tinged eerily purple. It is cold and desolate, for no life stirs within. You float through it as if on a breeze, passed row upon row of houses.
Though they are empty, it is more as if the inhabitants simply up and vanished one day, rather than say having been slaughtered by an invading force or having starved over a period of time.
Laundry still hangs dried from lines hung betwixt trees, crops lay still in the market stalls, yet no animal has scavenged here - they too are missing, down to the most minute. Not a fly is heard to flap its wings, nor pig snort or crow caw.
Emptiness then, all around you.

You wake up with a shudder.

---

The fourth of December, 347 A.R.
The new day sees Gwendolyn by your side once more, she reports having scouted the neighborhood for you though none here believed her when she told them of ISTEC and its purpose.
You suppose you should have given her your business card, or some official looking uniform, but you simply don't have the funds to equip her such yet. You tell her no matter, the others can work advertisement and in the mean time, why don't you come help me move this rock? She gives you a quizzical look but rapidly obliges, after all you are paying her a Kings Ransom (in urchin terms, at least) and she has probably had worse days than one simply pushing pebbles. Besides which; it will good exercise - something she will need a lot of if she is to carry a weapon and armour into combat, or at least a bag filled with surgical equipment and band-aids for booboos.

Though the work is ardous, it does give you opportunity to bond further. You quickly learn that Gwendolyn is resourceful, though that much was evident from recruitment.She has a brother but no other siblings or relatives to speak of; her parents died to gnolls some years back and their parents in turn succumbed to starvation back during the initial Forest expansion, as did most of that generation to hear Gwendolyn tell it through the half-remembered words of her parents.
It was before her time, but it is a story repeated in the fates of nearly all who dwell here.

You have lived a pretty isolated life you realize, in the mountain home of Tukatt Hold back in Daalig. Oh sure, you got your fair share of refugees, Kvelar and his kin amongst them, but you saw little of the horrors of the interior that brought them to you. Whale was not so lucky. Once considered the Pantry of the Empire, it is now more of a bread box, and The Forest still lingers on its edge, eating away at the land bit by bit, though hopefully slowed by ritual and architecture.

---

Somewhat later, Skvababt returns with some news.

A Bounty On Vespids posted:

"A successful tanner and armourer a few blocks down the street from you has just purchased a monster-handling license for not a small amount of money. There is only one problem: They have yet to procure the monster!
They don't want their competition to get wind of their ideas before they have a finished product to patent though, which is why [ISTEC] is a perfect fit for this operation, or so Skvababt has convinced them.
Where the Big-Leaugers would draw attention, a small operation of newcomers like yours is much easier to keep off the radar. The mission? Simple; meet up with a guide outside of the city gates at night, and follow them to the secret Vespid Hive.
After you dispatch the warrior-drones that will no doubt want to murder you, you are to capture the Queen or any larvae you come across using the provided Alchemical Concoction and a custom-built wagon.
Your reward for this will be [06 wealth] - plus a pair of complimentary Vespid Bracers for your team once they are finished.

You... aren't sure exactly how big vespids are, so you ask Skvababt whom tells you they are about the size of a loaf of bread.
Flying loaves of bread with razor sharp, poison stingers. Great. At least it seems to pay well? Skvababt assures you she has taken one or two out before, though admits she has never actually engaged a whole hive at once.
Theoretically doable, then.

---

Khami returns an hour later, also bearing news.

A Bounty On... whatever this is posted:

A Local Tavern is home to a cooking contest, apparently, where chefs from all over the city are expected to turn up with rare ingredients to satiate the palettes of roughnecking Nobles. One of the chefs, a drunkard in Khamis eyes, swear he saw something awful foraging in the trees somewhere in the Krills once when he was traveling. He described it as a many eyed, beak-less swallow about the size of a cow and he is convinced he can make it delicious.
Of course, he is merely a chef and not a monster hunter, so that is where you come in. If you bring it's corpse fresh and in mostly one piece back to his warehouse in the Flippers, he will bestow upon you [04] wealth.

---

1: What bounty do you take up first, if at all?
A: A Bounty on Vespids

B: A Bounty of the Giant Swallow Thing?

C: None of the above, try to search for something else.
Please specify if you want to go for less risk, less reward or more risk, more reward. What sort of bounty are you looking for?
Also keep in mind that you might not get exactly what you want; mission availability depends on a multitude of factors beyond your control or comprehension and indeed you may simply come up empty handed.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A, because boss monsters' corpses being in a reasonably recognisable piece when we're done isn't really our thing.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

B has the benefit of being less risky and more creepy, so letd go for that. :ghost:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

A

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
How big is the hive? How many warrior-drones should we expect to encounter?

At least we would be attacking them at night, which is when bees, wasps, and hornets usually calm down. Using smoke is just going to make them mad. So don't do that.

How are we supposed to find this bird that's as big as a cow?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Shoot the hive with the ballista

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Dr Subterfuge posted:

How are we supposed to find this bird that's as big as a cow?

We'd have to use our brain that's as big as a cow.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

We'd have to use our brain that's as big as a cow.

Surely you mean our cow brain :colbert:

No but seriously, the Krill is basically everywhere near the city that isn't in the walls or in the Forest. I don't care how big our target is supposed to be, that's a big search area.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Aaaaaaaah, beeeeeeees!

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
A. Khami's windmill chains should work pretty well against big ol' bees.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

A, hunt bees, get paid!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
B, but keep an eye out for the 'less risk, more reward' permutation of fortune.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1. A
bring foof

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Well, the foof could be useful if we can incinerate everything except the queen...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

+1 FOOF whatever we decide on. I mean duh.

If you're having trouble identifying an appropriate time to use the greatest thing since compound interest just remember this handy acrostic:

First
Offensively
Open with
FOOF

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 30, 2018

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Has anyone tried FOOFing the Forest En Mass? Seems like if anything would make a dent, that's it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
We FOOFed that Owlbear mama and she was huge. Was that in the Forest or just a forest?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

We FOOFed that Owlbear mama and she was huge. Was that in the Forest or just a forest?

Where you are right now is the closest you've ever been to The Forest to the best of your knowledge.

Blasphemaster posted:

Has anyone tried FOOFing the Forest En Mass? Seems like if anything would make a dent, that's it.

Maybe? You have no idea what the Imperial Bureaucracy has been doing in regards to combating the world-spanning disaster other then perhaps funding monster slayers sometimes.
Perhaps your contacts at the F.I.B would know more?

Dr Subterfuge posted:

No but seriously, the Krill is basically everywhere near the city that isn't in the walls or in the Forest. I don't care how big our target is supposed to be, that's a big search area.

The Chef in question would give you directions to where he saw it last - the rest is up to you.

alpaca diseases posted:

Yo Lado, where abouts could I find you, you know once I get a bit more of an income stream?[/B]

CourValant posted:

If this is an option, then I want to ask Patchworks for his contact information as well.

- Their contact information has already been added to your Known Contacts for the city of Whale submenu.

---

Also a friendly reminder that you don't have any FOOF, because you left it all back in Braav. If you want more then you will need to cultivate some alchemical connections and or be prepared to spend [wealth] obtaining a supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Vote: B: A Bounty of the Giant Swallow Thing.

Let's start off with what seems like a stand-up fight and get some wealth.

We need to get some equipment before taking on the hive, maybe use that smoke/fog head we have plus whatever we can buy to gentle up them bees some.