Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
That sounds like a memory leak, but it's unusual for those to be caused by graphics settings. You should consider filing a bug report, this is the kind of thing devs want to know about.

It could possibly be an overheating issue too. Are you tracking temperature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

That could be a memory leak and its worth submitting a bug report. Check factorio's ram usage when you first load the map vs when it starts chugging. I think it should be fairly similar so long as you don't explore a ton of the map or really rapidly expand.

It could also be your computer putting hardware into low power mode or prioritizing background tasks or something.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
I've got the same problem on occasion with my friends. Your computer can't keep up with everything that's happening. Use a console command to lower the game speed (I believe it's something like /c game.speed = 0.9) and see if that helps!

Random Encounter
Jul 19, 2007
Freeform for life
I think I enjoy this game.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
Just started playing again after a while away, started up a default settings game with SpaceX and Bob's mods and alien biomes. Interestingly I've never before had to worry about expanding outside my starting area before I was ready, or defending against biters beyond a few gun emplacements along attack corridors before I had lasers. In this game I spawned in the tundra without any trees (just occasional stumps) and no tin or lead in the starting area. Without them to make solder you are stuck with the tier 0 circuits, which means only tier 1 assemblers which means no automated inserter production so no green science. I had to run small power poles 3 radar ranges away to a tin and lead deposit, walking back and forth several times to replenish ammo and coal (and looking further and further afield for tree stumps) before I had enough research to setup a railway.

And during all this the biters have't left me alone. They started attacking from outside my scanning range within the first couple hours, definately before any pollution hit them. It's not Death World levels of bad but I lost alot of stuff early on when they'd sneak past my pillboxes while I was at a mining outpost and had to walk back. This is the first time I've had to build a proper gun turret curtain wall complete with looped ammobelt, and I've started training ammo to my mining outposts because they go through it fast enough that it would be a hassle to manually replenish them. The Bob's upgrades to turrets make it much less of a hassle: this is also the first game where I've prioritized researching the military upgrades, not just to keepup with biter evolution but also to reduce resource consumption.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm just starting to get into wires & combinators. Have some basic questions.

Let's say I want to create a buffer system to prevent assembling machines from storing double the resources they need to actually build it's intended recipe.

Specifically, let's look at blue circuits. I would need a chest that would hold exactly 2 red circuits & 20 green circuits, at which point it would send a signal to the inserter taking circuits off my belts causing it to deactivate. Then I would need the same chest wired to the inserter that puts the items in the assembling machine with a signal that only activates it when the assembling machine is empty.

Is this possible to do? I'm guessing you would need combinators, since the inserter by itself can only be given one signal condition (green circuits < 20 or red circuits < 2, but not both). What if I wanted to get fancy, and having the system load 1x the amount of goods into the assembling machine before it finishes the current recipe (to keep it running contentiously), but not 2x the amount that it normally stores.

If it is possible, is it something worth doing? I imagine it would make lighten your resource consumption load, especially for products that take a long time to make, and have 2x excess resources sitting in the assembling machines.

Essentially, as someone just starting to use logic in the game, I'm just trying to find practical uses for wires & combinators.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Megasabin posted:

Let's say I want to create a buffer system to prevent assembling machines from storing double the resources they need to actually build it's intended recipe.

Specifically, let's look at blue circuits. I would need a chest that would hold exactly 2 red circuits & 20 green circuits, at which point it would send a signal to the inserter taking circuits off my belts causing it to deactivate. Then I would need the same chest wired to the inserter that puts the items in the assembling machine with a signal that only activates it when the assembling machine is empty.

Is this possible to do? I'm guessing you would need combinators, since the inserter by itself can only be given one signal condition (green circuits < 20 or red circuits < 2, but not both). What if I wanted to get fancy, and having the system load 1x the amount of goods into the assembling machine before it finishes the current recipe (to keep it running contentiously), but not 2x the amount that it normally stores.

If it is possible, is it something worth doing? I imagine it would make lighten your resource consumption load, especially for products that take a long time to make, and have 2x excess resources sitting in the assembling machines.

Essentially, as someone just starting to use logic in the game, I'm just trying to find practical uses for wires & combinators.

If you don't have enough resources, make more. If you have an excess of resources, consume more. The factory expands to meet the needs of the expanding factory.

Bettik
Jan 28, 2008

Space-age Rock Star
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to use to figure out signals and all that but in terms of gameplay usefulness i would say it’s pretty minimal. I think the buffer amounts were already changed in the last major patch to ensure x seconds of productivity rather than simply double the recipe. (That might be coming in 0.17 though, I recall seeing it in a dev diary, haven’t checked in game).

Secondarily the “lost” resources are a drop in the bucket. And if your throughput ever slows it gets used up anyway. (I suppose the partial fills in assemblers does not get used but generally your throughout will - if it slows down it’ll only hit the first few assemblers, meaning the buffer will be comparatively smaller still)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think logically you'd have trouble in that your read input (whether chest or inserters) is going to hold the same buffer as if you just fed the buffer straight into an assembler.

Input control only really matters then for stuff which has an online time less than 100%, controlled only by feed (opposed to controlled by downstream pulls which stop any other machine not at 100%). Which I think is just nuke plants right now.

Nuclear processing and power is basically the most practical circuit playground in the game. And even then most people ignore it and just feed more into it, but you can squeeze some extra efficient nuclear missiles out earlier if you ration with circuits.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Megasabin posted:

I'm 114 hours into my co-op game and I've started to hit an issue where I'm experiencing game slow down or lag.

After about 15 minutes of playing my game will start running poorly. Essentially things will start stuttering. There doesn't seem to be anything gradual about this transition-- one second the game will be running completely fine, then next all the animations in the game will have a stutter to them. Once this occurs, it then gets worse and worse (the frequency of the stutter increases) over the next 15 minutes or so until the game is unplayable. If I just quit to the menu, and remake the game, it will still be performing poorly, but if I quit out of Factorio completely it will start running normally for another 15 minutes or so.

The strange thing is my girlfriend has not had a single issue, but she is on a much worse computer than I am. I'm on a fairly powerful desktop with an I7 processor & Titan graphics card, and she is on a 4 year old laptop not meant for gaming. I am the one hosting the game, so perhaps that is factored in?

Is there anyway I can identify the cause of and fix this issue?

Maybe a bit late, but it's most likely the other computer that is slowing yours down. If I remember correct, Factorio multiplayer only goes as fast as the slowest computer, until it just drops it. Slowing down the game might help, as well as lowering the settings on the laptop.

What happens if you load the game up in single player?

And a request, sort of.
Do anyone have a save where they are struggling with something that want to share the save game? Or someone with something impressive. If you are using mods, include the mod folder.
Saves are in %appdata%\factorio

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Maybe a bit late, but it's most likely the other computer that is slowing yours down. If I remember correct, Factorio multiplayer only goes as fast as the slowest computer, until it just drops it. Slowing down the game might help, as well as lowering the settings on the laptop.

What happens if you load the game up in single player?

And a request, sort of.
Do anyone have a save where they are struggling with something that want to share the save game? Or someone with something impressive. If you are using mods, include the mod folder.
Saves are in %appdata%\factorio

I think its probably a memory leak, because we did 2 4-5 hour sessions this weekend with no issue whatsoever.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

zedprime posted:

I think logically you'd have trouble in that your read input (whether chest or inserters) is going to hold the same buffer as if you just fed the buffer straight into an assembler.

Input control only really matters then for stuff which has an online time less than 100%, controlled only by feed (opposed to controlled by downstream pulls which stop any other machine not at 100%). Which I think is just nuke plants right now.

Nuclear processing and power is basically the most practical circuit playground in the game. And even then most people ignore it and just feed more into it, but you can squeeze some extra efficient nuclear missiles out earlier if you ration with circuits.

Yeah, after thinking about it, it would barely save me any goods, and probably slow down my factory a lot. I just want to find a cool fun use for wires and combinators! I know people use them for fluid cracking, but I don't really see a need, since I' producing enough of all 3 fluids right now without issues.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I started a new game and promptly saved over my old game :doh: . Thank goodness for Steam Saves because I was able to go to another system and copy off the save file before Steam synced the save.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Megasabin posted:

Yeah, after thinking about it, it would barely save me any goods, and probably slow down my factory a lot. I just want to find a cool fun use for wires and combinators! I know people use them for fluid cracking, but I don't really see a need, since I' producing enough of all 3 fluids right now without issues.

The biggest issue with refining and cracking is that it's not always balanced with what you're producing so sometimes you drain lubricant and have no heavy oil to make more, so you turn off heavy oil cracking and forget and then fill up your lubricant and thus your heavy oil and then your refineries shut down. It's basically a load balancer between the 3-4 products. If you haven't done it it's good practice. (I still suck horribly at logic circuits and anything more advanced than this)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Oil is intentionally set up to be out of balance like that. Technically every recipe in the game is but nothing else in the game will come to a halt if there's a surplus.

I pump everything into a line of oil tanks to handle overflow, some people use circuits to enable/disable refineries to meet demand but I find the simple solution a lot less frustrating. Just remember to check your tanks every so often to make sure problems aren't developing.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Besides the usual oil/nuclear/power control and useless-but-fun stuff, I've been working some circuits into my bases in some new ways recently.

1) PWM Steam Control. Basically, make a clock that counts up 100 ticks and then resets. Wire that together with an accumulator. Connect to the pumps that feed your boilers - if clock > accumulator value, turn pumps on. This has the effect of only running the pumps X% of the time, where X is the amount of accumulator charge that's missing. Useful during the steam->solar transition period, so in daytime the boilers run a lot less to charge up accumulators, while at nighttime you'll get a slow transition from accumulator to steam power instead of ramming all the steam on at once. Controlling the pumps rather than the inserters or fuel belts makes the steam come on and off smoothly, and gives you a little bit of a buffer.

2) Beacon build control. I'll leave the details out since this was a fun puzzle to solve. When you're in early beacon/module territory, you don't want to have a ton of beacons built with no modules in them - giant waste of power, and doesn't speed anything up. I wired up my beacon assemblers to only output when there were enough speed modules in the logistics network to fill them. My solution used 3 combinators, but I think it could be done in two.

3) This one's a bit more limited in usefulness (will depend on your map) - Mixed mining patch ore control. Turns miners (and/or acid pumps, in the case of uranium) on and off to keep belts from backing up with unused ore in mixed mining outposts. Filter splitters make mixed mining less of a problem in 0.16 but you can still run into situations where one ore will back up and buffering the extra unused ore is not really the kind of solution I go for.

4) Another fun problem to solve with mining outposts is balancing the train load chests. My preferred solution involves counting up the total ores on one color wire, and the ores per train car on the other, and a little bit of combinator to calculate averages. I control the ore flow by belt but you can also do it with inserters.

5) One more puzzle left for the reader to solve: Make a fuel belt loop for trains that counts the total fuel value on the belt (regardless of fuel type) and allows trains of mixed fuel to deliver fuel up to a defined threshold. Also call the fuel train when the value on the belt drops below another threshold. For reference, my solution uses two combinators + one per fuel type (I didn't include wood-based fuels) and a constant combinator to set threshold values, plus a ton of wiring. It keeps up to 16 GJ of fuel on the belt, and calls the train when the belt drops below 8GJ. This feeds a giant circuit outpost with 15 train stops.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Canuckistan posted:

I started a new game and promptly saved over my old game :doh: . Thank goodness for Steam Saves because I was able to go to another system and copy off the save file before Steam synced the save.

I got into the habit of creating a new folder for any new game and putting saves there. It's unfortunate you cannot make folders in-game, but it's quick enough to do so out of game the few times I need too.

The downside is I now have a several gigabyte saves folder.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Megasabin posted:

The simplest way to start learning to use circuits, to me, is to set up power switches and logic latches.

Coal belt to your boilers running low? Use a speaker to display a coal icon globally until the belt is full again.
Accumulator power level dropping? Bring on more rows of boilers that have their own emergency coal reserve.
Not enough power in the factory? Toggle off power switches to big chunks of assembers/labs/(non-coal)mines.
Steel chest of green circuits full? Turn off power to Green circuit production until its only got 2000 left in it.

All you need is an arithmatic and a decider combinator to make the latch.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Canuckistan posted:

I reported this issue over a year and a half ago and it got closed as "working as intended" by some jerk moderator:

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=46646

Here it is in suggestions thread form:

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47857

So far no developer has indicated they've even seen it or consider it a problem, despite all the blogging about user interface improvements they've been making lately. Please do send them a message, you are definitely not alone here.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
That jerk moderator wasn't wrong, though. I for one like how simple the save system is.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

necrotic posted:

That jerk moderator wasn't wrong, though. I for one like how simple the save system is.
Do you really think it's "simpler" for users to accidentally overwrite their previous game by defaulting to the same custom save name?

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
I know players who use multiple save files and they're all cowards.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Do you really think it's "simpler" for users to accidentally overwrite their previous game by defaulting to the same custom save name?

Its a very simple system, as in there is not much going on. It is not complex.

edit: the "jerk" moderator was not wrong in that it is working as designed currently, not that it shouldn't be designed differently.

necrotic fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 2, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Which is why it's correct for them to close the issue so that it doesn't get looked at by someone who can change the design, right?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Jabor posted:

Which is why it's correct for them to close the issue so that it doesn't get looked at by someone who can change the design, right?

If they declare its not a bug then yes, it goes in a different category. And there is now a (not closed) design suggestion thread.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

necrotic posted:

Its a very simple system, as in there is not much going on. It is not complex.

edit: the "jerk" moderator was not wrong in that it is working as designed currently, not that it shouldn't be designed differently.
Do you really, honestly, think that this was "designed" this way?

Like, someone actually sat down, thought about it, and said "Yes, I think that a brand new game with a new map should overwrite a completely different game by default. That is what most players want."

It is much more likely that this is just an accident. The game remembered your old save name, which is usually what you want, but they forgot to reset that value to "New Game 12" when you start a new game.

There's a name for accidents causing unintended behavior and a bad experience. They're called bugs.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

necrotic posted:

If they declare its not a bug then yes, it goes in a different category. And there is now a (not closed) design suggestion thread.
"They" in this case was a moderator, not a developer. I'm going to cite my own experience as a software developer: any UI problem that caused multiple users to unintentionally delete hundreds of hours of work would be considered a bug even if it was intentional. We would be downright angry if a community moderator or technical support agent told someone reporting such a problem to go away and then triaged the report so that we never saw it.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Chakan posted:

I know players who use multiple save files and they're all cowards.
This isn't even about supporting "hardcore mode" -- it's about a completely new game overwriting a previous game by default, even when you gave it a custom save name. Like, say, creating your own single player rail world game and unintentionally overwriting a multiplayer biter hell game.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

ShadowHawk posted:

This isn't even about supporting "hardcore mode" -- it's about a completely new game overwriting a previous game by default, even when you gave it a custom save name. Like, say, creating your own single player rail world game and unintentionally overwriting a multiplayer biter hell game.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
"I saved a file with the same name as another file and it overwrote it help" is the most grandma using a computer thing.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

If my grandma played Factorio with me we would be a lot closer.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

ShadowHawk posted:

Expected behavior:

1. Make new game
  2. save it as "x"
  3. do stuff
  4. open save screen
  5. defaults to overwriting "x"
  6. make new game
  7. open save screen
  8. defaults to not overwriting anything

Actual behavior:
  1. Make new game
  2. save it as "x"
  3. do stuff
  4. open save screen
  6. make new game
  7. open save screen
  8. defaults to overwriting "x"

Basically, right now it defaults to overwriting the most recently-saved save, and what you want is for it to default to not overwriting anything unless it's the previous save for the current game, right?

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Expected behavior:

1. Make new game
  2. save it as "x"
  3. do stuff
  4. open save screen
  6. make new game
  7. open save screen
  8. defaults to not overwriting anything

Actual behavior:
  1. Make new game
  2. save it as "x"
  3. do stuff
  4. open save screen
  6. make new game
  7. open save screen
  8. defaults to overwriting "x"

Basically, right now it defaults to overwriting the most recently-saved save, and what you want is for it to default to not overwriting anything unless it's the previous save for the current game, right?

That's accurate. Though the default for saving will also go to the last file loaded as well. So if you load game 'x', then it will default to saving on 'x', if you need to load autosave 1, then next time you go to save, it will default to autosave 1 slot (problem 1, autosave slot should never be an option). If you then save your game back on 'x", then default will go back to being 'x'. If you start a new game, then 'x' will remain the default file (problem 2, new file should reset the save as field default to blank and force you to make a name). If you close the game out, then open it the next day and want to start a new file, it will default your save slot to the most recent save from the time you started up the game, whether that is an autosave or a manual (problem 3, a bit of both 1 and 2)

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ShadowHawk posted:

Do you really, honestly, think that this was "designed" this way?

Like, someone actually sat down, thought about it, and said "Yes, I think that a brand new game with a new map should overwrite a completely different game by default. That is what most players want."

It is much more likely that this is just an accident. The game remembered your old save name, which is usually what you want, but they forgot to reset that value to "New Game 12" when you start a new game.

There's a name for accidents causing unintended behavior and a bad experience. They're called bugs.
Factorio has some software development chops so I don't think I'm going out on a limb expecting that there is a design document that says save name proposal will use the last loaded or saved file by the user in the current session. End of spec, no further thought applied to UIX, but set in stone till a doc update.

It's within 1st lines responsibilities to do a basic review against specs to determine yes bug or yes feature requested or yes change requested. With features and change requests needing a bit more design work, even if it's a simple home run idea it needs the doc update. Again, they got some chops, would really not expect the community managers to not have access to docs directly or indirectly if they are acting as 1st line in the bug board.

Where they get obtuse is that normally 1st line will always say please to be thanking you for your report. The disposition of bug vs change request isn't useful for an end user, they just want it to work. And further, telling the user no you're wrong isn't going to encourage further reports. So would have to agree there's probably a smoother way for them to herd people into the change request board.

But in this case dying on the hill that game behavior is bad therefore bug isn't helping anyone in the system they have set up. For better and worse UIX suggestions should go in the other board, even and especially while they do their UIX review.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's a rando community moderator doing the triaging, not one of the actual devs

you get what you pay for, and in the case of getting volunteers to do work for you, these a good chance you're going to get poo poo results as those volunteers try to impose their own vision instead of evaluating things objectively. and in general, the sort of people who choose to do that sort of thing for free often have a bit of a "the devs are perfect and can do no wrong, the bug reporter must be an idiot until proven otherwise" sort of mindset.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Jabor posted:

It's a rando community moderator doing the triaging, not one of the actual devs

you get what you pay for, and in the case of getting volunteers to do work for you, these a good chance you're going to get poo poo results as those volunteers try to impose their own vision instead of evaluating things objectively. and in general, the sort of people who choose to do that sort of thing for free often have a bit of a "the devs are perfect and can do no wrong, the bug reporter must be an idiot until proven otherwise" sort of mindset.
Im not sure you'd get any less emotional investment from a Dev though. They are the ones who put the blood sweat and tears into making it the original way. Case by case either way. Besides, they are busy developing.

Bug reports should be robotic beep boop this is what was designed and this is what is happening and it doesn't match. Randos should be able to do that, with good docs at least. If this is what's designed and the same thing is happening but it's dumb, that's not a bug and the discussion needs to start from design basics and doc updates and it's less robotic from the start so arguably you're just helping everyone if you start the disucssion somewhere the randos are less strict and the devs read outright.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

zedprime posted:

Im not sure you'd get any less emotional investment from a Dev though. They are the ones who put the blood sweat and tears into making it the original way.

Have you met any software developers? Getting emotionally invested in stuff you've already written is not really part of the territory. The few devs that do are universally the most toxic and difficult to work with, and usually create very lovely products because they never try and improve their stuff. Good devs are all about moving forwards and constantly improving things.

The vast majority of "it's perfect the way it is" comes from non-technical fanboys who earnestly think they're helping, even when they're really not.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Let's say I haven't met any. Am I supposed to believe that every software developer is a perfect saint and can take all criticism in a measured way and act perfectly on it? Cause that seems like an ideal every profession strives for and has to actively strive for because it's against tribal nature.

Because we are talking about criticism here. Someone needs criticised for using a dumb stock behavior of save file name proposal. Why wouldn't their first thought when the internet rando complains about it be

Breetai posted:

"I saved a file with the same name as another file and it overwrote it help" is the most grandma using a computer thing.

Ideally they have subsequent thoughts about it but maybe not when it's just one internet comment in a million. But that's also why we have peers we can get advice from, and things like a critical.mass of opinion about it from the end user from seeing a volume of reports or disucssion about it.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Do you believe the Factorio devs are fragile snowflakes that need to be protected from ... ever seeing a bug report about some probably-not-intended behaviour in their product?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Jabor posted:

Do you believe the Factorio devs are fragile snowflakes that need to be protected from ... ever seeing a bug report about some probably-not-intended behaviour in their product?

No but they need to be protected from wasting their time with the kinds of nitpicking associated with gamers.

So the mods get used to closing tickets similar to yours early and often.