Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Killing artifacts isnt even fun. Clearing gold weather felt great.

Artifacts are a less exciting version of weather that are designed to synergize unfairly well with tons of high-ceiling abilities (revenants, scorch, regis, schirru). It's like the least new-player friendly mechanic, buffed insanely hard, in the re-vamp that was meant to make the game more appealing to a broader variety of players. Bizarre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

When you say artifacts, I assume you mean the handful of over time benefits (spear, shield, sihil, etc). I mean, they could increase the provision cost of all of that style of card. :shrug: I tried running angouleme for 5 games and didn't manage to steal a single one... maybe I lucked out but I don't see them often. Maybe a single spear and that's about it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Ok, TB is mostly good but the one part that was actually exceptional was when you were about to fight a highly built up chapter 2 mid-boss and this came up pre-battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=20&v=eH3uzb2GLPM

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
TB is good but the mp game is a wet fart

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Im disappointed with how unbelievably easy thronebreaker is. I'm winning every battle by hundreds of points

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Is Trhonebreaker a bit buggy? I had three fights already that I won and I shouldn't have.
1. a puzzle fight with a water hag
2. a puzzle fight with Gascon using stealth to reach the bottom right corner. I won way before being close to that position.
3. the first fight against a monster nest in Mahakam. I barely played 3 cards, the enemy still had more cards to play and the nest still had 45 points or something like that. I think the interaction of the nest with one of the Meve's abilities insta-destroy it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Oct 28, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Doltos posted:

Im disappointed with how unbelievably easy thronebreaker is. I'm winning every battle by hundreds of points

It's the biggest flaw of the game, it makes some parts of it a waste. They have bothered on designing even lots of non-story battles in an unique way, for example I just fought one with ghotss that could posses units and other spectres that would interact with the possession effect and... it doesn't matter. You can win without bothering on reading the opponent cards, nor looking at what cards he is playing, just making you power plays with your big cards. See my point? All that design work in the encounters is extraneous with the game being this easy.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
I got around to playing arena a bit and it's super goddamn fun. After spending a bunch of time in regular deckbuilding tweaking with reinforcement costs, it's great just playing whatever you draft.

There basic arena concept (pick removal and thinning, avoid heavy synergy cards unless you've already drafted applicable cards) still applies but it sure feels like most all of the cards are playable in Arena. I very rarely seem to have a pick of 4 useless cards which was always the worst feeling in old-gwent arena.

The leaders and draw-up-3 work great in the format. Drafted usurper and loved it.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Turin Turambar posted:

Is Trhonebreaker a bit buggy? I had three fights already that I won and I shouldn't have.
1. a puzzle fight with a water hag
2. a puzzle fight with Gascon using stealth to reach the bottom right corner. I won way before being close to that position.
3. the first fight against a monster nest in Mahakam. I barely played 3 cards, the enemy still had more cards to play and the nest still had 45 points or something like that. I think the interaction of the nest with one of the Meve's abilities insta-destroy it.

It's actually pretty buggy. Not gamebreaking or anything, but lots of little issues. There's a number of cards that just don't work like their text says, sometimes things won't fire correctly, etc. Plus certain cards can completely bypass what are meant to be challenging fights (one of the Mahakam Dwarf cards can completely neuter encounters with high value enemies).

Of course it mostly doesn't matter because like mentioned above the game is easy no matter what happens.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'd really have been fine with every single fight in Thronebreaker being a tailored, puzzle style encounter with no deckbuilding at all. At least then you can't just steamroll through everything against opponents who never forfeit.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ok just finished Thronebreaker. Fun game overall, if a bit too easy. Generally the puzzles and scenarios with special rules are more enjoyable than the actual card game, which is slow, boring, and incredibly easy. Story and writing are great, though I did get a little tired of literally every decision Meve makes being the wrong one in one way or another. Feels like you're always waiting to see how her latest choice is going to bite her in the rear end. I get the lesser evil thing they were going for, but it gets a little repetitive/predictable.

The game is kind of buggy, as well. I mentioned the cards that don't do what they say before, but the the game also occasionally hangs/crashes, cutscenes don't play properly, and typos are everywhere. There's a few achievements that I think are bugged, as well. Might be worth waiting for a patch or two if you're on the fence about getting it.

Overall: Good game, worth playing. Maybe wait for a sale since it's only 30 hours and has limited replay value.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Well, I haven't finished Thronebreaker but I'm at 3/4 done, I could well continue and finish it already.
The price of buying games on release day: more expensive and worse experience. :/

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
Anyone else having a lot of issues connecting to gwent and gog these days? Really annoyed that I have to launch gog to play

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

I'm not sure I like homecoming. The game is really polished and looks great now, but individual cards and combos are the weakest they've ever been in Gwent. Nothing feels fun or impactful to play anymore. All the overpowered poo poo in the past added a lot of flavor, even if it was sometimes annoying to lose against. Balancing games by making everything bad just doesn't work, and never has.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Some cards are op which makes it dumber. The most op bronze card in the game, golden froth, is a card you can use FIVE times in a round in skellige (2x froth, gremist, triss, zoltan).

I "did well" on ladder last night running froth decks with nivellen and geralt:yrden to win the mirror (yrden gets decent value in most matchups anyways). It was not exactly skill-testing.

Artifact scorch decks are ofc disgusting, if you know exactly what they're doing and have artifact removal you have a chance but good luck staggering your units when they get three targeted pings a turn, and if you don't know exactly what they're doing you'll lose for free.

There's um a lot of work that needs to be done.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

No Wave posted:

Some cards are op which makes it dumber. The most op bronze card in the game, golden froth, is a card you can use FIVE times in a round in skellige (2x froth, gremist, triss, zoltan).

I "did well" on ladder last night running froth decks with nivellen and geralt:yrden to win the mirror (yrden gets decent value in most matchups anyways). It was not exactly skill-testing.

Artifact scorch decks are ofc disgusting, if you know exactly what they're doing and have artifact removal you have a chance but good luck staggering your units when they get three targeted pings a turn, and if you don't know exactly what they're doing you'll lose for free.

There's um a lot of work that needs to be done.

I was deckbuilding yesterday, and I saw a more expensive version of Golden Froth in provision cost, that needed two turns to apply the +2 instead of being instant. How could they not see that?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Knowlue posted:

Anyone else having a lot of issues connecting to gwent and gog these days? Really annoyed that I have to launch gog to play

I thought Thronebreaker could be launched via custom shortcut without going thru Galaxy?

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber

chaosapiant posted:

I thought Thronebreaker could be launched via custom shortcut without going thru Galaxy?

Gwent is giving me issues

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The thing I dislike the most from nuGwent is the 3 draw card + 10 in hand limit combo. Sometimes I make a good play and think "cool I have the advantage now! I should be smart and make him waste cards... to have the upper hand later... oh wait, not anymore, you can go down to 4 cards and still have a full hand in Round 3".
I like most of other stuff. Except artifacts limited interaction, of course.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm finding loads of games come down to who draws the best hand of three in the last round.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm serious about Yrden btw. This is a hot tip use it before it blows up nobody sees it coming. Hard counters greatswords, beastmaster, cahir NG, spellgaard, agleis, woodland spirit, ghoul decks in general, consume, strenger NR, gets ok value vs any NG deck and most NR decks, and most importantly WRECKS FROTH.

Only bad against the "unitless" decks. But a lot of cards are.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
So to be clear since I’m not a pc guy and haven’t really followed; the beta gwent that was around the last couple years is dead dead right? Loved it but I was hopelessly addicted so probably for the best

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yep, there won't be a trace of it left. It's too bad I loved the UI, it was so unique and felt so good (even small things about the new one like cards being fanned feels bad).

If anyone has the powder the lyria board is an essential buy. Makes the game way more playable.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
I haven't played much of new Gwent or Thronebreaker yet but the production values are really good. The animated cards and effects are really well done and make interacting with everything a pleasure.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Xik posted:

I haven't played much of new Gwent or Thronebreaker yet but the production values are really good. The animated cards and effects are really well done and make interacting with everything a pleasure.

Yeah I hadn't played the beta in ages so my memory was fuzzy but looking at Youtube videos it was actually pretty drat bland and ugly in comparison to now.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
rip postage stamp gwent

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

ehh I'm starting to have less interest in Gwent. What decks are you using? It's funny how I have the scraps to build any deck, but I have to muster energy to play it.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
I'm enjoying playing a goofy ghoul deck where you play a bunch of thrive junk and big fat stuff like old Speartip, Caldwell, and golyat. Play for a short round three and eat big corpses for profit. I use the witch that lets you eat Caldwell or golyat from hand for ez card advantage, and use woodland spirit as my leader. He's nice to buff up immune stuff like werewolf or alpha werewolf.

It's not the most competitive, but is fun to throw big dumb monsters around.

My other jam right now is a usurper shupe deck that runs all the hand manipulation gold jank available to nilfgaard to set up free or nearly free plays of that 13-drop dude that summons the top cards of the opponent's deck or 11-drop that damages self by the power of the top of your opponent's deck.

Usurper has easily the most powerful ability of any leader because shutting down the leader ability greatly weakens most deck's strategies. Having 0-1 redraws is absolutly brutal but is somewhat mitigated by the hand/deck manipulation available to nilfgaard.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

No Wave posted:

I'm serious about Yrden btw. This is a hot tip use it before it blows up nobody sees it coming. Hard counters greatswords, beastmaster, cahir NG, spellgaard, agleis, woodland spirit, ghoul decks in general, consume, strenger NR, gets ok value vs any NG deck and most NR decks, and most importantly WRECKS FROTH.

Only bad against the "unitless" decks. But a lot of cards are.

Days later, but this is absolutely true. You can get great value outta wiping out buffs.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

You stumbled on one of the better decks... Big Monsters is one of the more successful decks at higher ranks, even with Lemmens running around everywhere.

Turin Turambar posted:

ehh I'm starting to have less interest in Gwent. What decks are you using? It's funny how I have the scraps to build any deck, but I have to muster energy to play it.
Eithne elves (no artifacts, epidemics, or scorches) is probably the most enjoyable deck for me right now but shirru is such an overpowered scumbag card, hard to be too proud when I win.

Your deckbuilding choices feel like froth, artifact, or cheese... there are a few archetypes that work outside of that triangle like elves, big monsters, and foltest goodstuff but it's not really enough. I should give them points for trying with witchers and greatswords I guess.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 5, 2018

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

God, I'm so bad, I made obvious mistakes (of putting unit with melee ability in ranged row, or similar) in four games in a row. Maybe they need to indicate dumb people like me when you are about to choose the 'wrong' row, by changing the cursor color or some other visual feedback.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Turin Turambar posted:

God, I'm so bad, I made obvious mistakes (of putting unit with melee ability in ranged row, or similar) in four games in a row. Maybe they need to indicate dumb people like me when you are about to choose the 'wrong' row, by changing the cursor color or some other visual feedback.

Multiple times now I've put Ge'els in melee and followed it up with a killer deathwish card... Only to sit there for a moment wondering why nothing happened.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

There's no rhyme or reason to it (why is aguara true form a ranged deploy?), you'll do it over and over because the UI was not appropriately thought out. Why was this mechanic not in thronebreaker? Oh because it's irritating and frustrating and there were people who cared about that game.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

My proudest video game achievement ever:

Null1fy
Sep 11, 2001

Thronebreaker isn't hard, but this deck absolutely trivializes all content. As soon as you get the Skelligers give it a go. The interaction between the cards is like the Gwent version of Lippy Froth, but on steroids. The best part is - you actually want the enemy to kill and damage your units.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Update:

Sihil 12->15

Tainted Ale 8->9

Summoning Circle 7->8

Black Blood 7->8

Ale of Ancestors 10->12

Thunderbolt 7->8

Mastercrafted Spear 5->7

Wyvern Scale Shield 5->7

Petri’s Philter 5->7

Pitfall Trap 7->8

Golden Froth 9->13

Zoltan: Scoundrel 12->15

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

jesus loving christ thronebreaker is just too drat long

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Standard battles were a mistake.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Unsurprised to find a provision bump on all the value over time artifacts, and to froth and zoltan: froth. I'm a little surprised they didn't adjust the witcher trio. Coincidentally, I think everyone I happened to play in the last couple of days wanted to avoid all the artifact removal and didn't run any artifacts at all. I've used angouleme's order 10 times but haven't got a single hit. :v: Sadly, she might have to get retired now...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm a little concerned because while froth was op and greatly limited deckbuilding there were a lot of cards that interacted with froth decks' game plan (most effects in the game outside of lock) and it wasnt a deck that made last say all that important unless it ran a cheese yrden.

I would have been a little more generous to the card, putting it to 12 max, while making sure gremist got a hit as well. But we'll see.