Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Calaveron posted:

I got some money after a train heist mission and went to town with the intention of buying the varmint rifle and some nice new clothes and apparently the varmint rifle and the pump action shotgun were being sold for free and I don't know why
I mean I'm not complaining I got upgraded bandoliers and holsters and ammo for all my weapons but still, I wonder what prompted that

Did you save a dude that got bit by a snake?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Pingiivi posted:

The extra open world stuff didn't grab me so I started just mainlining the story. This is probably not the way to go because holyyyy poo poo the last 10 hours is pretty much this:

Can you tell me if you can still do open world stuff after the end?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ravenkult posted:

Did you save a dude that got bit by a snake?

Yeah and I got the regular rifle way back

Also man these songs sure are bawdy

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
LENNY!

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I’m in chapter 6 and is there a map I can buy or something that puts icon on the map as to where specific game and herbs are?

How do you unlock perks? It said I got a couple of bonuses from doing side quests but they don’t show up on the list

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
I found this link outlining the breakdown of 100% completion really helpful but you shouldn't look at it if you don't want to know how many story missions there are.

Catsplosion
Aug 19, 2007

I am become Dwarf, the destroyer of cats.

Calaveron posted:

I got some money after a train heist mission and went to town with the intention of buying the varmint rifle and some nice new clothes and apparently the varmint rifle and the pump action shotgun were being sold for free and I don't know why
I mean I'm not complaining I got upgraded bandoliers and holsters and ammo for all my weapons but still, I wonder what prompted that

What version of the game did you get? If it was the special edition then those 2 rifles (and the volcanic pistol) were included as part of the bonus. If not then likely a bug.

I Bumped into the stranger who has been bitten by a snake and gave him some medicine. Fast forward a few days later and I bump into him again outside the gunsmiths in valentine and he lets me put my next gun purchase on his tab. I obviously chose the most expensive rifle I could at the time and add a scope to it with my own money. Gives me a bit more variety in the way in which I choose to handle missions and hunting with a long(er) range rifle is fun.

Man I'm loving this game. It might not be perfect but there really isn't anything else like it out there at the moment.

Catsplosion fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Oct 29, 2018

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Missed out on it because I wanted to unlock some guns, when I came back it was no longer free.

Also are there really only 3 revolvers in this game or what? I need a faster gun.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ravenkult posted:

Missed out on it because I wanted to unlock some guns, when I came back it was no longer free.

Also are there really only 3 revolvers in this game or what? I need a faster gun.

you'll need a proper pistol if you don't want to draw back the hammer between shots

one of the gunslingers in the Noblest of Men (And a Woman) quest has a unique Mauser you get nick for free

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I preordered and the varmint rifle and shotgun were free for me too.

Didn’t run into the snake bite guy yet.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

cheesetriangles posted:

Dunno because there's still a few hours long(!) epilogue thing that brings this to the start of RDR after the main story ends and I haven't finished that yet

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

you'll need a proper pistol if you don't want to draw back the hammer between shots

one of the gunslingers in the Noblest of Men (And a Woman) quest has a unique Mauser you get nick for free

Surely there's a better revolver

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Over There posted:

You're insane, dude

how has this guy been making garbage posts since 2011?

Anyway, the songs they sing in the camp are great. This game is awesome and I'm having a good time with it. I wish I knew how many hours I've played it so far but I'd probably be embarrassed.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

How do I increase the amount of health I have? My stamina has increased such that I can run for miles, but my health is piddling and it makes firefights stressful.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

What's the deal with the drunk Irish guy standing next to the dead horse and crashed wagon on the outskirts of west Elizabeth? Does he ever come back with a new wagon? I sat there waiting for awhile until bounty hunters tried to capture me for an unrelated reason.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ravenkult posted:

Surely there's a better revolver

The Schofield is the best revolver. The double action shoots faster but does less damage. It unlocks through story progress or a chapter 3 home invasion with Sean, it'll be under the bunk beds.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

big trivia FAIL posted:

How do I increase the amount of health I have? My stamina has increased such that I can run for miles, but my health is piddling and it makes firefights stressful.

Do you want me to screenshot the page from the start guide

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Strategy guide overview of attributes

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Well poo poo. It was a while since my last manual save and I encountered the Mile Long Range gang who promptly perforated my horse from a range where they were a pixel on the screen. Respawned... with a new horse. I've never seen this horse before, but it's mine now. He's survived, with one resurrection, through three magicspawn encounters now. Can't wait to get back to the stables so I can name him.

Qubee posted:

they ambushed me from both sides of the road and I was in cinematic mode

Spiderman: Combats fast travel by both allowing it and making it more fun not to
RDR2: Puts in lovely fast travel, then goes the extra mile to punish not wanting to manually steer for fifteen minutes

Wizard of Wang posted:

What video games do you actually like? Also it seems like it's more pacing with you, like the game is too slow?

There is a rather large difference between a slower-paced game, where the game's plot/mechanics unfold slowly, and just adding in a shitload of wait time for everything. There's nothing immersive or enjoyable about staring at my phone while my horse clops slowly towards another destination and my controller is on the desk.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Went up into the mountains, came down with an Elite Arabian for free. If you ride around on a nice horse people will try to steal it.

Incidentally, if you get “Improved” saddlebags for your horse at a stables, your horse can carry five hats.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

GRAT
GRATE
TEERG

That mission is awesome.

Question: is there a way to get your horse on the train too when you buy tickets? Was doing the Micah mission so felt smart doing Valentine to whatever station is near Strawberry, yet when I arrived I realized I had to run all the way to town. Goddamn.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

cheesetriangles posted:

Strategy guide says yes.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mailer posted:

Well poo poo. It was a while since my last manual save and I encountered the Mile Long Range gang who promptly perforated my horse from a range where they were a pixel on the screen. Respawned... with a new horse. I've never seen this horse before, but it's mine now. He's survived, with one resurrection, through three magicspawn encounters now. Can't wait to get back to the stables so I can name him.

Spiderman: Combats fast travel by both allowing it and making it more fun not to
RDR2: Puts in lovely fast travel, then goes the extra mile to punish not wanting to manually steer for fifteen minutes

There is a rather large difference between a slower-paced game, where the game's plot/mechanics unfold slowly, and just adding in a shitload of wait time for everything. There's nothing immersive or enjoyable about staring at my phone while my horse clops slowly towards another destination and my controller is on the desk.

If you hold X the horse moves faster

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

euphronius posted:

Strategy guide overview of attributes

Neat. Do you have a screenshot of the crime section? I know it's got a pretty decent overview.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sedisp posted:

Neat. Do you have a screenshot of the crime section? I know it's got a pretty decent overview.

I’m going to the gym . Remind me later if I forget

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
reading the manual from my companion app because gently caress work

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I swear I have killed 3 enemies in 10 seconds multiple times with throwing knives but the weapon master challenge won't proc for me. Does it have to be done in the open world and not during a mission or something? Kind of annoying because you can only hold 8 and there aren't that many places to restock them. Also there are clearly six throwing knives in Arthur's ammo stock at camp but when you grab them you only get 2, wtf!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Here's something incredibly useful the game never tells you.

Manual save your game then go to anyone in town. With your gun holster lightly press the right trigger down.

You can do this literally anywhere.

Edit: and after loving about with this if you double tap your holster button you do a revolver spin.

Sedisp fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 29, 2018

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Wizard of Wang posted:

This is a serious question.

What video games do you actually like? Also it seems like it's more pacing with you, like the game is too slow?
The pacing of the story and world itself is fine, I have an issue with how long you need to hold presses and the futzing of Arthur to get into a very dainty specific to even start an action.

Just pick up the loving item Arthur stop loving futzing about to stand in the perfect straight-on position and open the drat draw and take the loving item. It's cute for a while but eventually I just want you to pick up/do the drat thing. Far Cry 3/4/5 went through this process already.

Or stuff like this:

shortspecialbus posted:

I can't remember if it's a 1:1 crafting ratio but if it is, the downside is crafting time. So if that doesn't bug you, just sit in front of a pretty sunset at a camp and mash button until all your bullets are split. They're definitely worthwhile, especially early on, since they slow your deadeye meter.
Thankfully you don't have to mash, but you still have to hold the button down until you've gone through every bullet :v:

A good Hunting tip is to get a Rifle ASAP, not a Repeater but a proper rifle.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Nolgthorn posted:

I found this link outlining the breakdown of 100% completion really helpful but you shouldn't look at it if you don't want to know how many story missions there are.

Just FYI, pretty sure that’s for RDR 1, not RDR 2.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
The GTA controls were bad but more tolerable until they added even more context sensitive nonsense and having to hold buttons for 3 seconds minimum and just a mess all around. At least it's pretty.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

canepazzo posted:

GRAT
GRATE
TEERG

That mission is awesome.

I managed to jump the fence at the very end so I missed out on Arthur getting arrested and him hollering about how he's an AMERICAN I'M AN AMERICAN instead he escapes while hollering how he's FREE I'M FREE and woke up miles away form Valentine with no horse

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

VanillaGorilla posted:

Just FYI, pretty sure that’s for RDR 1, not RDR 2.

Considering it was posted over 2000 days ago ...

I don't think enough irl time has passed for even the most poopsockiest of poopsockers to write up a 100% guide for this game.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

goferchan posted:

I swear I have killed 3 enemies in 10 seconds multiple times with throwing knives but the weapon master challenge won't proc for me. Does it have to be done in the open world and not during a mission or something? Kind of annoying because you can only hold 8 and there aren't that many places to restock them. Also there are clearly six throwing knives in Arthur's ammo stock at camp but when you grab them you only get 2, wtf!

I'm hoping there's a mission where you have to fight a hospital ward full of blind and deaf quadriplegics otherwise I'm never going to get that challenge done

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

greeting and then antagonizing someone makes Arthur do a set up/ knockdown zinger, it’s loving great going around being a quipster

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I just wish that pulling back on the left stick would bring your horse to a stop. You essentially have to push forward to move forward and I don't think the horse moves backward, so pulling back on the stick should stop my horse.

It's like an automatic action for me and it's frustrating.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Calaveron posted:

I managed to jump the fence at the very end so I missed out on Arthur getting arrested and him hollering about how he's an AMERICAN I'M AN AMERICAN instead he escapes while hollering how he's FREE I'M FREE and woke up miles away form Valentine with no horse

this is the greatest quest in gaming ever

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

free hubcaps posted:

greeting and then antagonizing someone makes Arthur do a set up/ knockdown zinger, it’s loving great going around being a quipster

A good chunk of my playing time has been spent walking around camp razzing folks.

I love that even “Greeting” Kieran means giving him poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TMMadman posted:

I just wish that pulling back on the left stick would bring your horse to a stop. You essentially have to push forward to move forward and I don't think the horse moves backward, so pulling back on the stick should stop my horse.

It's like an automatic action for me and it's frustrating.

Maybe this is a joke post but r1 to make the horse go backwards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

Maybe this is a joke post but r1 to make the horse go backwards

No it's not a joke. I don't really care about the horse going backwards. Frankly, I don't see why I would ever need to make the horse go backwards when I can just spin it in a circle.

I just wish actually stopping the horse from higher speeds wasn't a button press and could jusr be done with the left stick