Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The book all these allegations are going out in, The Spy and the Traitor: The Greatest Espionage Story of the Cold War is currently number 58 in the WHSmith best sellers chart, just ahead of Peppa Pig: Peppa's Halloween Sticker Activity Book and a long way behind Vietnam: An Epic Tragedy: 1945-1975 by our favourite Sir Max Hastings.

No one gives a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I stopped giving a gently caress about WHSmith best sellers chart when they stopped stocking Pratchett books. That particular branch is dead to me.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

are they meant to look like windbreakers, because lmao

It's a baggy cotton duck (Edit: with increasing rayon/synthetic content as the war goes on) smock with elastic at the waist and wrists.

It's reversible. One side has "Spring" colors (brown, green, black) and the other has "Fall" colors (brown, orange/brown, black).

The reversibility is silly. The smock has built-in pockets which turn inside-out to reverse with fully sewn flaps and buttons on both sides - but the pockets are situated under the Y-strap suspenders and gear so it's hard to get to them.

Best of all, the smock goes on OVER the regular wool feldgrau (field grey) uniform. Remember how I talked about the internal suspenders and aluminum hooks earlier? That's just part of it. A Wehrmacht feldbluse is a ridiculously complex garment. For comparison, a modern men's suit has about 20-25 pieces of cloth cut and sewn together. A feldbluse has over 80 - yes, 80 - pieces of cloth cut to pattern and sewn together, and that does not count the insignia. Every feldbluse - EVERY ONE - was tailored to the individual wearer. Yes, tailored.

Check out the chest pockets, for example. This is an early-war feldbluse:

Look at how the pockets have that curved scallop flap and the folded bellows design. That's not easy to make. By 1943 they had simplified the design to a simple patch-pocket, like this:

But here's the thing - they put all of that work into sewing MILLIONS of those pockets. Cutting the wool, folding it, sewing it on, attaching the pebbled metal buttons... But when you put on that camouflage smock you can't get to the pockets. They're useless. Put on the smock and you can't get to the internal suspenders and hooks either.

They sewed millions and millions of those complex pockets - and millions of the complex internal suspenders, and internal linings, and made hooks - and all of that was useless, wasted cloth and labor.

And, again, the answer is "because Nazis."

Cessna fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 20, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i sew. i can feel that jacket.

considering what 1940s industrial tailoring was like, do you know how much of this was finished by hand?

edit: how did the same people who tailored every feldgrau jacket to every grunt not realize it's impossible to not look like bill clinton c. 1993 in a windbreaker

edit 2: does this mean that if you were wearing an ss smock over a standard-issue feldgrau jacket you had to take off literally every piece of gear you had to take a poo poo, or do the pants go up and down without engaging with the hook assemblage

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 29, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

i sew. i can feel that jacket.

I've had my hands on originals, and they're sooooo bad. The smock is that canvas-y duck material. It does NOT breathe at all; it's like a canvas trash bag. So your Nazi soldier is wearing:

- a ribbed sleeveless ("wife beater") undershirt.
- a "service shirt." This is sort of like a cotton men's dress shirt, but thicker and longer - that is, it hangs down well below the waist.
- a wool "feldbluse." Scratchy thick wool.
- that canvas-duck smock.
- leather field gear and equipment.

It's a mess - way too hot in the summer, nowhere near enough to stay warm in the winter. Nothing is waterproof. It all smells like wet dog.* The WWII gear I'm most familiar with is US, and it is a generation ahead of the German crap.

* Sometimes you can read WWII memoirs where they talk about going out on patrol and finding Germans by smelling them. "I could just smell the Nazis." Before I did reenacting I thought this was an exaggeration, a soldier's hyperbole. Having done reenacting, it's totally legit. Get that wool uniform and leather field gear wet and it smells like wet dog. It's a really distinctive smell. I can easily imagine if you get a company of troopers wet, and add in tobacco and maybe a cooking fire and you could smell them hundreds of yards away.

quote:

considering what 1940s industrial tailoring was like, do you know how much of this was finished by hand?

The smock wasn't. The feldbluse was. I have never seen a WWII German feldbluse (the solid green/gray wool jackets) without some sort of tailoring.

If it means anything, they had unit tailors assigned as a section at the battalion level. Yes, this is insane.

(I always picture a battalion being overrun by T-34s while their sewing section commander yells "Sew faster, Hans! Faster!")

quote:

edit: how did the same people who tailored every feldgrau jacket to every grunt not realize it's impossible to not look like bill clinton c. 1993 in a windbreaker

All of their stuff looks weird.

quote:

edit 2: does this mean that if you were wearing an ss smock over a standard-issue feldgrau jacket you had to take off literally every piece of gear you had to take a poo poo, or do the pants go up and down without engaging with the hook assemblage

And the trousers - regular uniform trousers - were held up by their own suspenders, which needed unbuttoned as well.

Hey, if it means anything, their early-war paratroopers had it worse. Their Fallschirmjagers (paratroopers, and I'm too lazy to put the umlaut over the "a") were set up to jump from low altitudes. They wore a distinctive jumper-outfit over their gear, the idea being that it would keep their gear from snagging on anything parachute-related when they jumped.

Guess what? There's sort of a fly opening, but if you want to poop, you have to take off your entire uniform:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Guess what? There's sort of a fly opening, but if you want to poop, you have to take off your entire uniform
this is a problem from the 16-teens, when everyone's pants were hooked or laced to their jackets

the nazis infented a three hundred year old problem for themselves

quote:

* Sometimes you can read WWII memoirs where they talk about going out on patrol and finding Germans by smelling them. "I could just smell the Nazis." Before I did reenacting I thought this was an exaggeration, a soldier's hyperbole. Having done reenacting, it's totally legit. Get that wool uniform and leather field gear wet and it smells like wet dog. It's a really distinctive smell. I can easily imagine if you get a company of troopers wet, and add in tobacco and maybe a cooking fire and you could smell them hundreds of yards away.
gonna push back against you a little here: all woolen poo poo smells like wet wool, i probably smell like that in reenactments as well. plus the stuff i oil my sword with, plus wet metal. also everyone smells a tiny bit like what they eat and you can really tell the difference if it's a food you're not used to. one difference is that linen seems to be a really "clean" material, like you smell less bad if your shirt is made of linen

also in the 17th c buff coats were finished with cod oil and chalk, imagine that when it rains
tasty

ALSO: all woolen or silk stuff would have never been washed, ever. part of the way they constructed the clothing--like the seams, or how breeches or doublets were shaped--means they would fall apart if washed.

quote:

If it means anything, they had unit tailors assigned as a section at the battalion level. Yes, this is insane.
lolllllllllllllll

edit: it's like that scene from three amigos, "sew, very old one! sew like the wind!"

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Oct 29, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

- a "service shirt." This is sort of like a cotton men's dress shirt, but thicker and longer - that is, it hangs down well below the waist.
this is old school as poo poo for europe, it reminds me of the kind of shirts i wear at reenactments, which is knee length. are you sure they were cotton? how were they constructed? specifically what do the shoulders, neck hole, and sleeves look like

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 29, 2018

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

As a kid I thought the airborne were Air Force units.

Fortunately I learned the truth without ever saying this to anyone in the airborne.

Airborne are trans infantry.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

gonna push back against you a little here: all woolen poo poo smells like wet wool, i probably smell like that in reenactments as well. plus the stuff i oil my sword with, plus wet metal. also everyone smells a tiny bit like what they eat and you can really tell the difference if it's a food you're not used to. one difference is that linen seems to be a really "clean" material, like you smell less bad if your shirt is made of linen

Yeah, but American uniforms and field gear were made out of (for the most part) cotton post-D-day. Soviet stuff also, for basic uniforms, with cotton supplemented with synthetics later on. (Yes, greatcoats were often wool, so this isn't always the case.) So you'd have German infantry out there smelling like wet-dog wool while the GIs/Frontoviks didn't. It's really noticeable.

quote:

this is old school as poo poo for europe, it reminds me of the kind of shirts i wear at reenactments, which is knee length.

Yes. Add in the boots and the VERY high-wasted trousers with suspenders and they look like Mennonite farmers before they put on the feldbluse.

quote:

are you sure they were cotton? how were they constructed? specifically what do the shoulders, neck hole, and sleeves look like

Here's a reproduction, but...

There really wasn't a uniform standard here. They varied in color from orangey-brown to green to grey, with every shade inbetween. They also varied in material - some were cotton, some wool, were knit, some were twill. Later-war ones were made out of crappy synthetic fibers and fell apart rapidly.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

Yeah, but American uniforms and field gear were made out of (for the most part) cotton post-D-day. Soviet stuff also, for basic uniforms, with cotton supplemented with synthetics later on. (Yes, greatcoats were often wool, so this isn't always the case.) So you'd have German infantry out there smelling like wet-dog wool while the GIs/Frontoviks didn't. It's really noticeable.
I didn't know that, I though everyone's uniforms were always wool. What did US troops do when it was cold?

quote:

Here's a reproduction, but...

ah, that's nothing like the shirt i'm thinking of. Which held on until the early 1800s i think.

Nenonen posted:

Airborne are trans infantry.
airborne are dragoons

hot take: everyone is a dragoon

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 29, 2018

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

I didn't know that, I though everyone's uniforms were always wool. What did US troops do when it was cold?

Pre-1943 the US Army did wear a lot of wool, but they phased in other fabrics over time. I'm not saying "US never used wool, Germans always did;" rather, when you've got GIs in cotton and Germans in wool you can smell the difference.

Early on in WWII the USA used a lot of wool overcoats, and these were to be replaced with coats that used a "layers" system with cotton sateen over a pile liner: Here's the jacket and the (separate) liner:

But it was a hodge-podge. You can photos of the Battle of the Bulge where some troops have wool overcoats, some have those jacket/liners, and some have "tanker's" jackets, whatever they could scrounge up.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Cessna, are those SS camo pictures showing recreations or originals? I assume recreations because I thought the originals bleached out during use, like, immediately.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Cessna, are those SS camo pictures showing recreations or originals? I assume recreations because I thought the originals bleached out during use, like, immediately.

Those are from the collection of the Imperial War Museum - note the "IWM" in the lower right corner. They're originals.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

what dye and mordant did they use, i might be able to tell if that would have happened

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

What did Japanese troops wear? I’m hoping the answer isn’t “wool” because I can’t imagine how much that would suck in the Tropics.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Solaris 2.0 posted:

What did Japanese troops wear? I’m hoping the answer isn’t “wool” because I can’t imagine how much that would suck in the Tropics.

Wool for colder locations, cotton for warmer ones.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
holy loving hell! i'm remembering all those holocaust survivor testimonies where the old hands sneak up behind the author during intake and whisper to them "tell them you're a tailor" and it saves their life! i thought just yeah, useful skills, pretend to have useful skills, but there was a specific reason the SS wanted tailors

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Oct 29, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Now I'm imagining the designer of the pockets on Nazi uniforms to be somehow secretly the hero that saved thousands of lives.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

Now I'm imagining the designer of the pockets on Nazi uniforms to be somehow secretly the hero that saved thousands of lives.
that person slowed down the nazi factories more than schindler

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Ferdinand Porsche, actually a comrade

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

what dye and mordant did they use, i might be able to tell if that would have happened

I don't know the exact dye or color-fasting process off-hand, but I have reference books I can check when I get home tonight.

I DO know that:

- they were manually screen-printed early in the war. Later in the war they switched to machine printing. Some variants had some colors (i.e., the black sections) applied by rollers after the cloth was already dyed. Not all do this, but it is interesting when you catch it.

When you've looked at this stuff for a long time you start seeing where the camouflage pattern repeats itself. In some patterns the green/brown "repeats" at a different rate/in different places than the black. They dyed the cloth with the green and brown, then applied the black in a separate process.

- There were many different varieties of this camouflage. Some used three colors of dye, with areas overlapping to produce the effect of having more colors. On this smock, for example, you can see where the green and light brown overlap at the edges to give a dark brown effect:

- The priority item they made was a thing called a "zeltbahn." This is a triangular section of cloth that is sort of like a half-tent; lace two together and you have a tent. You can also use a single section as a poncho. You can also lace multiple sections together to make even bigger tents.

Here's the crazy part. Some variants of the camouflage were numbered. 1-2, 3-4, 5-6, etc. The idea was that if you lace together the appropriate matches, number-wise, the camouflage pattern on the tent will be continuous, without any breaks or places where the camouflage doesn't line up perfectly.

Like so. This is a reproduction, but you can see the join:

(You can find period photos of this, but in black-and-white you can't see it as well.)

But here's the thing. Say the camouflage doesn't line up perfectly. So what? No one will notice. It's not like an enemy is going to suddenly see your tent because the camouflage lines up 6" off. This is a nightmare of unnecessary complication.

- The pieces of cloth that were left over were stitched together to make the smocks and helmet covers. Sometimes you can find odd numbers stamped in odd places, like so:

This doesn't mean that the guy with this helmet is "Number 6," rather, the cloth was cut from a roll of the #6 cloth I described above. The smocks and helmet covers were made from scraps, and it shows. I have never seen a single one that didn't have some sort of sewing "error" on it - where the camouflage pattern lines up wrong, where there's a bit of "spring" cloth on the "fall" side or vice-versa, where the sewing is just awful, etc. This stuff was made by people who were starved and working at gunpoint, and it shows.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

holy loving hell! i'm remembering all those holocaust survivor testimonies where the old hands sneak up behind the author during intake and whisper to them "tell them you're a tailor" and it saves their life! i thought just yeah, useful skills, pretend to have useful skills, but there was a specific reason the SS wanted tailors

The SS was, in many ways, a self-contained empire.

Those camouflage smocks were sewn by the inmates of concentration camps. If you could use a sewing machine you might survive a bit longer.

Ever see photos of the Warsaw uprising of 1944?

These are Polish fighters. They are wearing Waffen-SS camouflage smocks and helmet covers.

When the Warsaw Uprising started one of the first things they did was liberate the nearby Gęsiówka concentration camp. That camp used inmates to, among other things, make the camouflage cloth and sew it into shelter-sections, smocks, and helmet covers.

The Polish Home Army liberated the camouflage and used it themselves.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

HEY GUNS posted:

you were a child, i hotglued an airborne patch to my milsurp backpack as a child before someone told me i probably shouldn't :negative:

Why? Nobody reasonable's gonna give half a poo poo if a kid has a unit badge or something. Or are you talking about the glue

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This turned out to be a surprisingly interesting question. I won't editorialize on it further.

Which ship can take more punishment before sinking? An Iowa BB, or a Nimitz CVN?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cessna posted:

This is a nightmare of unnecessary complication.
germans! :argh:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why? Nobody reasonable's gonna give half a poo poo if a kid has a unit badge or something. Or are you talking about the glue
a teacher told me it was disrespectful to people who were really in that unit or had relatives who were. i don't go out of my way to be an rear end in a top hat even then so i took it off

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

bewbies posted:

This turned out to be a surprisingly interesting question. I won't editorialize on it further.

Which ship can take more punishment before sinking? An Iowa BB, or a Nimitz CVN?

Above or below waterline ordnance?

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

They had bellows-sewn buttoned pockets on a shirt inside a tunic which had bellows-sewn buttoned pockets that was itself inside a smock that made all those pockets unreachable, and that smock itself had reversible buttoned pockets that were stuffed under the field gear.

The Aristocrats!

Cessna fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 29, 2018

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Saint Celestine posted:

Yeah define 'punishment'. Another WW2 battleship? Exocet? Kh-22? Nuclear tipped Kh-22?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Saint Celestine posted:

We'll say a mix of modern munitions.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
It’s probably a good prior to assume ships from the 70s are tougher to kill in general just due to applying 40ish years of lessons learned for damage mitigation and control, particularly the entire experience of WW2. Layer on manufacturing and materials improvement and newer ships start with a big leg up.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Comrade Gorbash posted:

It’s probably a good prior to assume ships from the 70s are tougher to kill in general just due to applying 40ish years of lessons learned for damage mitigation and control, particularly the entire experience of WW2. Layer on manufacturing and materials improvement and newer ships start with a big leg up.

No!

The 70's was the age of the aluminum superstructure. The logic was that modern weapons made armor obsolete, so we should make ships lighter and faster, use that space for other systems, etc.

In 1975 the USS Belknap had a collision the the carrier USS John F Kennedy. A minor fire broke out. It wasn't contained quickly, and all that aluminum burned, resulting in this:

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

HEY GUNS posted:

a teacher told me it was disrespectful to people who were really in that unit or had relatives who were. i don't go out of my way to be an rear end in a top hat even then so i took it off

Meh I wouldn’t care, especially if it was a kid. Even an adult having a patch i don’t care, not like it’s some stolen valor thing.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Comrade Gorbash posted:

A lot of the damage control lessons were learned in WW2, damcon wasnt really a major feature of US naval expeditions for a long time afterwards for fairly self evident reasons.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Comrade Gorbash posted:

As pointed out, that's exactly why the ordnance involved matters. Exocets and suchlike carried by NATO frigates are going to bounce off the armour of an Iowa that was built to withstand 16" shells (and we are talking about sinking it not mission kill so knocking the radar off doesn't count). Massive Soviet stuff (missile or torpedo) built specifically to KO a carrier is probably a different matter, though.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I think we went through this in the old thread and concluded that the Iowa's armor would stop modern anti ship missiles because of course the missiles weren't designed for armor thicknesses that no longer exist. If battleships are still a thing it would be trivial to go back to the drawing board and make bigger missiles though so whatever.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Nah a Silkworm AShM carries a shaped charge big enough to cut through a Iowa's citadel. Since the 70s the logic has mostly been "don't get hit."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZXHsNqkDI4

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

bewbies posted:

So I'm reading a new book about bad rear end Soviet traitor Oleg Gordievsky and I was pretty shocked at a long section making a lot of strong claims about Michael Foot as a paid KGB agent in the 1960s and 70s.

Google returns a bunch of modern Labour party folks positively infuriated by the claims along with a bunch of refutations, but at least on the surface it seems to be pretty well-sourced.

Is this...legit?

Here's a pretty good article about it

If you haven't read it, you might enjoy the book about Vladimir Vetrov, Adieu Farewell . As spying goes, he's a weird guy. He was an asset of the DST rather than DGSE. He was responsible for doing a lot of damage to the Soviet technology spying rings. He also goes way the gently caress off the rails as a person.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thomamelas posted:

He also goes way the gently caress off the rails as a person.
isn't that lots of spies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

HEY GUNS posted:

isn't that lots of spies

Kinda. In his case he starts drinking heavily. Not too abnormal. Where he goes really off the rails is he gets a mistress then drunkenly stabs her in his car. When a cop comes over for a bribe thinking it's a couple making out, Vetrov panics and stabs him. Which is what gets him caught.