Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Autodesk doesn't sell Scaleform anymore. The latest hotness is stuff like Coherent UI which shoves a Chrome in your game: https://coherent-labs.com/

(I've heard Hummingbird is basically rewritten from scratch and is quite good but I still won't ever touch it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Suspicious Dish posted:

Autodesk doesn't sell Scaleform anymore. The latest hotness is stuff like Coherent UI which shoves a Chrome in your game: https://coherent-labs.com/

oh an entire web browser. even better

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Coffee Jones posted:

isn’t open SSH’s development tied in openbsd and or does that get separate funding and separate governance because it’s so fundamental?

what does your heart tell you

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

cinci zoo sniper posted:

the year of linux on ibm. oracle really needs to buy suse now

so oracle already has a linux distribution, which is based on RHEL. it's a straight up RHEL clone using the SRPMs published by red hat

assuming ibm's vindictive corporate culture becomes the norm at red hat, that's gonna be an epic internet slap fight

not in a good way

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Coffee Jones posted:

isn’t open SSH’s development tied in openbsd and or does that get separate funding and separate governance because it’s so fundamental?

you cannot donate to openssh, only to openbsd. they are purposefully entangled and there is no way to specify that your money go to just one thing.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

i wonder how many red hat employees are going to bail. i know ibm is less stuffy than they used to be, but if they try to enforce suits or even dress shirts and khakis they're going to bleed so much staff

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Broken Machine posted:

i wonder how many red hat employees are going to bail. i know ibm is less stuffy than they used to be, but if they try to enforce suits or even dress shirts and khakis they're going to bleed so much staff

the new rule at ibm isn't "wear a suit" it's "be an indian national under 30 with no better employment opportunities"

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
not to put too fine a point on it, however many red hat employees bail, even more of them will be laid off

assuming ibm's corporate norms prevail

it could be that this merger changes ibm for the better. (ha ha)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I have said it before and I will say it again:

OpenBSD is cool and good for 3 reasons:

1) LibreSSL
2) OpenSSH
3) OpenNtpd

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so oracle already has a linux distribution, which is based on RHEL. it's a straight up RHEL clone using the SRPMs published by red hat

assuming ibm's vindictive corporate culture becomes the norm at red hat, that's gonna be an epic internet slap fight

not in a good way

ibm vs oracle corporate legal fight is going to be like two enraged hippos

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Broken Machine posted:

if their expectations are that they're buying more than support contracts and a team of linux sales people they're going to be disappointed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

what stops oracle from scratching off red hat and replacing it with centos anyways? its free software

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
Centos doesn’t exist without its upstream code and support

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

what stops oracle from scratching off red hat and replacing it with centos anyways? its free software

that is exactly what they are currently doing

red hat has done a few things to make it more difficult -- most notably their handling of kernel patches

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

if their expectations are that they're buying more than support contracts and a team of linux sales people they're going to be disappointed

red hat is a lot more than just linux, they're an enterprise software behemoth

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

Centos doesn’t exist without its upstream code and support

but what’s the value in red hat if they stop doing that?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

but what’s the value in red hat if they stop doing that?

red hat provides the complete source for RHEL out of the goodness of their hearts. the licensing doesn't (strictly) require it. it certainly doesn't require that it be made as easy as red hat makes it

centos was originally an independent project that picked up the bread crumbs lovingly set out by red hat. now red hat directly supports them, because ????

this could all dry up and blow away tomorrow, if red hat's new corporate masters don't see the value in it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
For comparison amazon provides amazon Linux source code but only to ec2 instances and without any navigable history. To make a corresponding independent distro you’d have to continually pull the srpms out of aws and put them on an ftp server, rebuild them, create an installer (which aws doesn’t need) and so on. Lambda Linux proposes to do this but it’s not in a hurry

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
amazon linux is just a very broken and hosed up centos so i'm not sure why anyone would want their own copy of it

just use centos and skip the middleman

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I'm converting all our enterprise servers to hannah montana linux next week

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
about ten years ago i knew a guy who worked for a large university's IT department

they had decided to standardise on gentoo

they had a pair of four socket "build servers" on which they compiled patches literally every loving day. their means of deployment? rsync.

congratulations, you have reinvented packages, but poorly, without versioning

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug
i thought i read a while ago that some high frequency trading shops were using gentoo for the machines running the HFT code, since they could easily tweak the compiler flags and recompile the whole system and kernel, and that some of the cpu architecture specific tweaks could get them a few percent lower latency/better performance, translating to a great deal of additional money

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

IBM bought themselves some kernel developers whose new priority will surprisingly be not PC hardware. Meanwhile Microsoft buys influence on the Linux Foundation who pays PC hardware developers.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Lysidas posted:

i thought i read a while ago that some high frequency trading shops were using gentoo for the machines running the HFT code, since they could easily tweak the compiler flags and recompile the whole system and kernel, and that some of the cpu architecture specific tweaks could get them a few percent lower latency/better performance, translating to a great deal of additional money

this sounds like the kind of thing gentoo users would tell each other

i've certainly never heard of anything like that. the HFTs i know use the same old poo poo everybody else does

the only remotely weird thing i've heard of is doing IP stack stuff in userspace to reduce latency

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ewe2 posted:

IBM bought themselves some kernel developers whose new priority will surprisingly be not PC hardware. Meanwhile Microsoft buys influence on the Linux Foundation who pays PC hardware developers.

i just looked it up in their 10q.

ibm's shrunken, tiny server division, the rump of the monster that was, is still an $8 bn/year business

eight billion dollars of mainframes and POWER servers, even after decades of contraction. phew boy

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I know an HFT developer. They make custom kernel patches which they don't send upstream. It's a lot more than using different kernel flags.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

also there's a lot of really stupid hft shops, so don't have advice from anyone on that basis

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

nbsd is hellbent on bad mouthing gentoo at every opportunity because he knew someone who used it to rice his setup in 2004

i've also heard about hft people using gentoo, so i guess you're not the only one

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and you can have as much versioning and deployment of prebuilt binary packages as you want in gentoo, it's called binhost in portage-land

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 29, 2018

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
with all this uncertainty in Linux now, it sure seems like 2019 could be the year of NetBSD on the desktop

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
anybody who works in hft is a parasite human who leeches money from real transactions and provides nothing

*prove me wrong*

Poopernickel fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 29, 2018

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Poopernickel posted:

anybody who works in hft is a parasite human who leeches money from real transactions and provides nothing

*prove me wrong*

you’re not wrong

however, ignoring the awfulness of capitalism for a moment, from what I’ve heard the baller hft shops put their trading algos in fpgas so they can integrate directly with the ethernet MAC and be constructing outbound trading order packets while still in the middle of receiving an informational packet from the stock exchange. there is nothing you can do with gentoo to compete with that so tbh it’s probably a bad hft shop which tries to compete by ricing out they linux

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
hoo yes, that is some cool tech

that is built and used to steal money from legitimate trades

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Poopernickel posted:

hoo yes, that is some cool tech

that is built and used to steal money from legitimate trades

yeah those programmers should do something to better humanity like working for an advertising company

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

advertising ... genocide!!

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Poopernickel posted:

*prove me wrong*

providing liquidity ain't the worst thing in the world man

pram
Jun 10, 2001

eschaton posted:

with all this uncertainty in Linux now, it sure seems like 2019 could be the year of NetBSD on the desktop

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Poopernickel posted:

*prove me wrong*
ah yes let us all shed a tear for the ~honest~authentic~ investors

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tankakern posted:

nbsd is hellbent on bad mouthing gentoo at every opportunity because he knew someone who used it to rice his setup in 2004

i've also heard about hft people using gentoo, so i guess you're not the only one

gentoo is garbage trash and unfit for any purpose aside from making linux fans feel like they're hacking the gibson as they watch compile spam scroll past. this is still true with CFLAGS at default

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Gentoo is indeed trash. I tried in in a VM recently and it hasn't changed much in the last 15 years.