Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Final product lol

Great costumes, awesome lion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1056930200326291456

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

I'm working my way through this now. I think I'll be looking at a rescue rather than a puppy. Assuming I do move, it won't be until January, so I'd want to take a couple of months to get settled before taking on such a commitment. That gives me plenty of time to read up and research.
Seriously, thanks for the great info.

You're welcome, I hope it works out for you! StrixNebulosa pointed me to the SA New Dog Owner thread when I first got Gulliver (Thanks Strix!); I read through the Dog Owner's Guide, the others are things that I learned after the fact. I had told the rescue that I wanted a moderate energy dog with decent training, but Gulliver is a fairly high energy, leash-reactive dog, and Gulliver didn't come from a foster home, he came straight from a shelter in GA, so there was no one to tell me that he basically had no training. It turns out that even his house training was spotty. He was really hyper when we met at a shelter kennel, so I attributed his jumping around as anxiety; partly true, but he still has issues with jumping on people and nipping at me. Vet's bills for the initial checkup were pretty big, ~$400 (included several vaccinations, anti-heartworm and anti-flea/tick meds), and there was a rescue fee of $350. Then all the basics (crate and mattress, food, collar and leash, treats, etc) took a chunk. Using a kennel during business trips isn't cheap, either: it's about $45 / day. Training for Gulliver and me (so that we relate and communicate) is about $160 for a 6 class session, and we'll need all three sessions, beginner through advanced. You know what, though? I love him immensely and wouldn't trade him away for any other dog, and the house is really empty when he's in a kennel and I'm at home. When he jumps in my lap, or bites the couch, or jumps around during walks, I think that maybe no one cared enough to train him, or to give him a lap to lay in, or a soft couch to lay on. So I put aside my irritation and just work with him to make us both better.

Pigsfeet on Rye fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Oct 29, 2018

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

When he jumps in my lap, or bites the couch, or jumps around during walks, I think that maybe no one cared enough to train him, or to give him a lap to lay in, or a soft couch to lay on. So I put aside my irritation and just work with him to make us both better.

Ditto for me and Bruce. I don't know what happened to him down in Kentucky that gave him that BB scar above his eye, or why he's scared of shovels, but he gets all the love and attention I can give him.

Part of me thinks he was raised by cats, since he purrs when you pet him, he curls up in your lap, and constantly rubs up against you leaving behind a trail of hair.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dogs are expensive and time-consuming and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Apollo has been nothing but good for me, what with the constant walks, and in exchange he's got someone who has a perfect schedule for dealing with his separation anxiety: I'm taking online college classes so I don't have to leave, I can just be here 90% of the time. (And when I want to go out for like, dinner, he can stay in his kennel. Not his favorite, but he's been getting SO much better - the double-jackpot treat of a kong full of peanut butter and a giant pig's ear helps!)

Also I'm delighted to see the folks in this thread with shelter dogs (best dogs) - there are too many backyard breeders around here, and it bugs the hell out of me. I went to the rabies clinic recently and so many of the male dogs were unneutered and just :ughh:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Veterans of Skeleton Wars › Dog thread: Give your dog a lap to lay in

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I had a chat to N4D earlier and I'll ask the same thing here. The reason I want to get a dog, is I want a friend, companion, and something to love and go on adventures with. Is this a good reason to have a dog?

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 29, 2018

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I had a chat to Christoff earlier and I'll ask the same thing here. The reason I want to get a dog, is I want a friend, companion, and something to love and go on adventures with. Is this a good reason to have a dog?

Absolutely! That's very similar to my reasons for getting a dog (I wanted a pal I could go on walks with, and hang out with) and provided you're up for the commitment and responsibility, do it!

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Time to dog up this thread, champs - it’s a Pupdate!

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Love Tim n' Zip.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

I had a chat to N4D earlier and I'll ask the same thing here. The reason I want to get a dog, is I want a friend, companion, and something to love and go on adventures with. Is this a good reason to have a dog?

Gulliver is exactly this for me.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Yes but also you take your friend to the bathroom a couple times a day. Every day. For ~10 years

Don’t underestimate the commitment but also don’t overthink it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872778

extremely good thread

Barcley
Jan 26, 2004

---

Soiled Meat
Dogs are a ton of work, but are more than worth the effort.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
extremely pro click :eyepop:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Holy gently caress, that's a great click.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

An afternoon snoozle on my lap/right thigh.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That is 100% amazing

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/elmbeauty_/status/1057254928509472768?s=19

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

GOTY 2018

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/El_Gustache/status/1057690880063102978?s=19

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
What a good dog :3:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/beckyg862/status/1057448384322301952

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

I accidentally punched my horse when I first got it. I spent an actual 10-15 minutes grooming, patting, and hand feeding it.

I also found out that if you accidentally hurt or kill a dog in town, an angry mob chases you.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Syrian Lannister posted:

I also found out that if you accidentally hurt or kill a dog in town, an angry mob chases you.

GOTY

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Real doggo Halloween hours

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://twitter.com/El_Gustache/status/1057934102681149441?s=19

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Syrian Lannister posted:

I mean...yes? That's how the system is designed to operate.

Merton Blask
Jun 30, 2008

So it's true! Mysterio is
gay for sex... with me?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Lando got into a cabinet and ate a milk chocolate bar that I had gotten my girlfriend. He’s fine, but was super hyperactive for a bit last night. I had to chase him around and repeatedly yell “THE POWER OF BULLY STICKS COMPELS YOU!” but I eventually exorcised the demon and he settled down and went back to being a snuggly boy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stay safe, Lando!

(I love that picture)

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Cerberus: the original goodboi

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Icon Of Sin posted:

Cerberus: the original goodboi

Fun fact, the original Greek name Kerberos means "spotted".

Hades named his dog Spot.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Found my best friend in bed with my wife:

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Trabant posted:

Hate it when that happens, especially when they’re taking up your side of the bed.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Better watch out, he looks like a handsome ladykiller :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!