Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Love when you set cinematic auto route then go get a drink or something and come back having respawned with zero idea what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

euphronius posted:

Yeah I’m probably going to steal my sons iPad

If he would ever stop playing mindcraft.

I decided $10 was good enough to say "gently caress it" and get it. If anyone has any specific questions about it let me know. I won't be able to comment how it looks on a phone though as the only iOS device I have is the 2016 iPad Pro.

Edit: My initial take on this is that I'm happy I have it, it's explaining some game mechanics that I didn't really understand at all and didn't find the manual all that helpful on. Also having map locations for random poo poo is a thing I like. I dig exploration and I love doing it but sometimes I'm in a hurry for something for some dumb reason and I also don't like missing a bunch of content because I wasn't good enough at exploring.

ssb fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Oct 29, 2018

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

euphronius posted:

The app is better because you can screen shot it

Honor spoilers

That's actually really dumb. You should have positive and negative reinforcement for both play styles

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

My Arthur has long slicked back hair and a big bushy mustache and he looks like Kurt Russel as Wyatt Earp and it owns

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Over There posted:

That's actually really dumb. You should have positive and negative reinforcement for both play styles

Maybe

They probably don’t want people to feel compelled to game the system for rewards tho and farther just “play naturally”

Who knows. Why have it at all then.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Over There posted:

:same: Now I don't feel bad about shooting that guy through his jaw because :matters:

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

euphronius posted:

Maybe

They probably don’t want people to feel compelled to game the system for rewards tho and farther just “play naturally”

Who knows. Why have it at all then.

Having positive and negative rewards for both playstyles encourages exactly that though. Right now if you want rewards you can't just "play naturally" you need to play a Lawful Good playstyle. It seems dumb to me. Like you should at least get "50% higher prices from the fence" to counter "50% discount at stores" or some poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah the absence of even nominal dark side rewards is strange .

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yeah those rewards are kind of dumb because I'm just going to Google the special outfit rewards, and unless some of them are absolutely unbelievably good I'm not going to give a poo poo about playing nice. I'll make more money shooting train passengers then getting discounts if that's the only benefit to being A Nice Man.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure I've killed more people accidentally in this game than I have on purpose. Dumb asses see a man barreling toward them on a horse and don't get out of the way.

And holy poo poo are shotgun deaths gruesome. Came across a couple of chain-gang convicts just as they were killing their overseers, so I figure the good thing to do is to kill them. Took the first one's head clean off. After he was dead, I shot him again just to see what would happen, blew off his arm. I'm used to previous R* games where most dead bodies look the same. Don't remember any decapitation/dismemberment.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Before you unlock the ability to select where to shoot with deadeye, where it's still auto-X'ing spots for you as you drag your cursor over someone, I've shot a couple people where they had no head, arms, or legs remaining as I basically just magdumped into them with the volcanic pistol.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Came across a couple of chain-gang convicts just as they were killing their overseers, so I figure the good thing to do is to kill them.

bootlicker

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In my defense I assumed the benefits of playing as a good guy were pretty great. But apparently, like in real life, it’s only marginal. Lesson learned.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Pretty sure I've killed more people accidentally in this game than I have on purpose. Dumb asses see a man barreling toward them on a horse and don't get out of the way.

And holy poo poo are shotgun deaths gruesome. Came across a couple of chain-gang convicts just as they were killing their overseers, so I figure the good thing to do is to kill them. Took the first one's head clean off. After he was dead, I shot him again just to see what would happen, blew off his arm. I'm used to previous R* games where most dead bodies look the same. Don't remember any decapitation/dismemberment.

Original flavor Red Dead Redemption had pretty gnarly entry/exit wounds, though no dismemberment. It was kind of hard to see unless you creepily went up close to inspect the bodies, and I'm not sure if that makes it more or less impressive that they added it in anyway.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
disappointing to see being a villian has no real benefit, i had planned on doing a Nasty Arthur playthrough

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I accidentally shot the trapper but didn't kill him. I tried to stop him from alerting the police but eventually he got too tired and stopped running in the !middle of the woods. But it wouldn't let me threaten him.

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Is it just me, or does Arthur sound like a slightly more sober Rooster Cogburn?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i shot a shopkeeper in the face and robbed his store, then later when i came back it was the same guy with a big bandage over his head and he was real mad at me

hevnz 2 murgatroyd
Apr 13, 2018

by Smythe

Fart City posted:

I know I should be a rooty tooty desparoody,

Man, I bet they're real upset they locked into the title Red Dead Redemption

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hentai Jihadist posted:

i shot a shopkeeper in the face and robbed his store, then later when i came back it was the same guy with a big bandage over his head and he was real mad at me

well i know i'd be

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
also are there seriously no hotels in St. Denis? you'd think a place like that would have a hostel at least, but i was left to spend the night on the sidewalks! like a dog!

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I love Arthur's little sketches in his journal. He's all serious talking about stuff that happened and then there's a crudely drawn bison or wild mint. It's awesome.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
For the life of me I cannot find the journal, I try every time it mentions it was updated and I can't.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

DrNutt posted:

Original flavor Red Dead Redemption had pretty gnarly entry/exit wounds, though no dismemberment. It was kind of hard to see unless you creepily went up close to inspect the bodies, and I'm not sure if that makes it more or less impressive that they added it in anyway.

the bullet holes and gore are pretty loving impressive in 2. also the way the bodies fall and move about is uncannily realistic.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

shut up blegum posted:

I love Arthur's little sketches in his journal. He's all serious talking about stuff that happened and then there's a crudely drawn bison or wild mint. It's awesome.

I find it funny when he sits down and starts talking to some of the people in camp because it's often about how many animals and innocent people he's killed

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Oxxidation posted:

also are there seriously no hotels in St. Denis? you'd think a place like that would have a hostel at least, but i was left to spend the night on the sidewalks! like a dog!

I think the bigger saloon has some very nice accommodations if I remember correctly. If you turn off the index and hover over any location marked on the map you get a really flavorful description for it that tells you stuff like that. They're all super fun to read, I recommend it

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

For the life of me I cannot find the journal, I try every time it mentions it was updated and I can't.

Hold or press left (one of them) on the d-pad to open it.

It's also somewhere in the menu system but I can't remember where off hand right now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Deified Data posted:

you can find it in your inventory but hold left on the d-pad to bring it up quickly. Apparently you can read it in the companion app too which is cool

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do you access all the little quests and stuff you get? Like when you find a place to rob or someone requests an item?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Dapper_Swindler posted:

the bullet holes and gore are pretty loving impressive in 2. also the way the bodies fall and move about is uncannily realistic.

I was pretty horrified the first time I did a "melee" gunshot kill on someone and looked down at the body, dude was missing his jaw

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Dark side perks are the increase in money you get from being able to rob and kill everyone you meet

I'm going white hat this playthrough and need to make all my money shooting arrows at rabbits like a sucker

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Oxxidation posted:

The fancy saloon rents rooms. It's the one on the left side of the map.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!

goferchan posted:

I was pretty horrified the first time I did a "melee" gunshot kill on someone and looked down at the body, dude was missing his jaw

During the second shootout with the O'Driscolls, I swapped from my rifle to the sawed-off shotgun, and snuck up on some dude from behind one of the dilapidated shacks. One quick blast later and he became the new Headless Horseman :gibs::magical:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How do you access all the little quests and stuff you get? Like when you find a place to rob or someone requests an item?

Tap left on the D-pad. Hold it for your journal.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hub Cat posted:

The fancy saloon rents rooms. It's the one on the left side of the map.

There's another town where the gunsmith is the hotel.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Hobo Clown posted:

Dark side perks are the increase in money you get from being able to rob and kill everyone you meet

I'm going white hat this playthrough and need to make all my money shooting arrows at rabbits like a sucker

Step ya Varmint Rifle game up son

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

These dudes were blocking a bridge and decided to open up on me. A few sticks of dynamite later and now they have a few less legs. I guess they shoulda let me use the drat bridge.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TMMadman posted:

There's another town where the gunsmith is the hotel.

The first hotel in Wichita IRL was just a room above the founder's house.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

i got that white arabian horse and tied her tail in a braid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So you can buy stuff online and have it delivered to the post office in-game

https://socialclub.rockstargames.com/games/rdr2/catalogue

Now they just need to make a web browser version of the companion app.