Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

McDragon posted:

Also I love that the Doc can talk to spiders.

She didn't? Outside of the usual Steve Irwin moment of "Aren't you a beauty!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The biggest problem with the companion dynamic for me is Yaz feeling a bit outside the circle. In the final scene of this episode, Graham is talking about how grief takes time to process and being away seeing the universe helps. Ryan is tacitly included in that since he lost his nan at the same time Graham lost his wife. The show makes a lot of Ryan and Graham building a familial relationship too.

Yaz on the other hand is just kinda...there. The fact that she and Ryan are old schoolmates isn't what brought them together, it's a fact that was brought up AFTER they already ended up together due to the events of the first episode. While I'm sure she feels bad Grace died, she's not a part of the circle of grief; to her, Grace wasn't family, wasn't a friend, wasn't even a regular acquaintance. Yaz is just kinda the hanger on to a core group of characters.

I don't dislike Yaz at all, I like the hints of stuff they've done with her...but she doesn't have a motivation. She's Clara 2.0 "I want to go on mad adventures and then come home for supper"

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

The good news is that there are some interesting and different writers working on the show.

I'm curious to see some of the output of the other writers. 3 out of the first 4 episodes have been solely credited to Chibnall, though I guess if they're really doing a "writer's room" sort of thing that may not mean so much.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Harlock posted:

It's probably too early to be thinking about the future but add me as a person who thinks something is going to happen to Graham by the end of the season, either death or he doesn't remain as a companion.

Yes something is going to happen to Graham at the end of this season

Ryan's gonna call him Granddad :qq:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Infinitum posted:

She didn't? Outside of the usual Steve Irwin moment of "Aren't you a beauty!"

That first one in the flat she did. :3:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

McDragon posted:

I loved that bit where they were in the lab and talking about spider communication and Ryan was in the background making shadow spiders.

Yeah, that was a nice background touch.

I wonder if Jodie's sonic pose is a conscious choice because of how much Matt Smith used to break the props by flinging them all over the place. I guess it's hers, that she made, so maybe the Doctor wants to treat it a little more carefully and deliberately whenever she takes it out. It has more sentimental value.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Infinitum posted:

I really loved that tentative moment with Ryan advancing the idea that he didn't like the way his father said he could come back and live with his "proper family".

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Infinitum posted:

Probably in the same episode where he heroically overcomes his fear of ladders to save the day, thanks to the Doctor giving him self-belief and encouragement.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

She's Clara 2.0 "I want to go on mad adventures and then come home for supper"

Yikes. This I really disagree with.

Yas is trying to figure herself out as a person. She's young, she's in a difficult career at the bottom of the ladder, and she's already tired of looking at her reflection in the glass ceiling. She's more interested in that than in pursuing relationships at the moment, and she has a family that seems to place a lot of pressure on her to be in a relationship and to bring home friends (one gets the impression they mean well, but that they want to be more involved in her personal life than she'd like). The Doctor's adventures are providing her with a sense of purpose her life otherwise doesn't, because of the usual post-college, entry level career, urban isolation malaise.

Clara was already a confident childcare worker (and eventually teacher), who challenged the Doctor frequently, was obviously interested in a long-term relationship, and had difficulty managing her two lives, until she eventually decided, basically, to give one of them up and become a permanent companion to the Doctor, but in a capacity that she considered to be more equal than an assistant role. She was, from the start, an important facet of the Doctor's entire existence.

They seem to me to be two very different characters. I think they're focusing a bit more on Graham and Ryan, but I don't think Yas is an empty shell.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

Yas is trying to figure herself out as a person. She's young, she's in a difficult career at the bottom of the ladder, and she's already tired of looking at her reflection in the glass ceiling. She's more interested in that than in pursuing relationships at the moment, and she has a family that seems to place a lot of pressure on her to be in a relationship and to bring home friends (one gets the impression they mean well, but that they want to be more involved in her personal life than she'd like). The Doctor's adventures are providing her with a sense of purpose her life otherwise doesn't, because of the usual post-college, entry level career, urban isolation malaise.

That's a great concept for a companion and I really really hope she gets the spotlight often enough to flesh that out for me.

It just really stood out in the final TARDIS scene this episode when Graham and Ryan have their shared grief and Yaz just goes "I love my family but they really get on my nerves"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Infinitum posted:

The Doctor "There are living breathing organisms out there, and we're going to treat them with dignity"

Also The Doctor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QiR684csQA

Ten was a loving psycho

he's the one that should have been damnatio memoriae'd, not War :colbert:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ten was a loving psycho

he's the one that should have been damnatio memoriae'd, not War :colbert:

Thanks for teaching me a cool latin phrase

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
I'm really enjoying the relationship between Yaz and Ryan so far. I didn't see my old school friends for a few years and then reunited and watching them rediscover their friendship really resonates with me.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Soothing Vapors posted:

Ten was a loving psycho

Tenth Doctor "MAKE THE FOUNDATION OF THIS SOCIETY, A MAN WHO NEVER WOULD!"

Also Tenth Doctor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNXZnOwW-fA&t=126s

(Best cover screenshot)

Also Tenth Doctor
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4xm9NHNUf8&t=113s

Infinitum fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 29, 2018

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

EdBlackadder posted:

I'm really enjoying the relationship between Yaz and Ryan so far. I didn't see my old school friends for a few years and then reunited and watching them rediscover their friendship really resonates with me.

Yeah. It's nice that there isn't any romantic aspect to it, I sort of hope that keep it that way.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Arachnids in the UK gifs:

Man, I'm so glad Doctor Who is back.

You got a broken image in there. I think it should be this one?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

docbeard posted:

I'm completely happy with the "they found a humane way to euthanize the trapped spiders offscreen" explanation given that they were literally talking about finding a humane way to euthanize the trapped spiders when they were gathering them in the first place.

And the entire point of why just shooting the suffering giant spider wasn't okay was because it wasn't a monster, it wasn't an evil supervillain spider boss, it wasn't an object to be hated and dreaded and feared (even if you hate and dread and fear spiders) it was a suffering animal and the Doctor didn't even have a chance to find a way to give it a dignified and painless death (which she and the spider researcher had explicitly talked about being a priority for them before) before Bigly decided to shoot it in the face.

Also, as cathartic as ruining the Trump-analogue's presidential chances with a few choice observations about how tired he is to the press would have been, it feels more honest in some ways for him to do unpleasant Bad Man stuff and walk off into the sunset, whether he's going to be back or not.

The more I think about the "missing ending" showing how they humanely kill the remaining spiders, the more I am glad they didn't provide it. Not only isn't it important precisely what they did, I can picture a certain kind of fan going around and "humanely killing" real spiders without reason.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

So, I have a bit of a problem with this series so far, and it’s the way the Doctor often seems helpless in the face of badness. People do lovely things right in front of her (defenestrating Tim Shaw, being horribly racist, shooting big spider, and a bunch of smaller stuff) and she just gawps in an outraged fashion. In line with the criticism that she kinda seemed to give up when the Tardis wasn’t right there at the Ghost Monument.

She just seems really passive, which I don’t think is a good choice for any Doctor, let alone the first female Doctor.

Maybe I’m seeing her through a sexist lens, and she’s actually just as active as past Doctors, but so far, I’m not loving the writing for her.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

navyjack posted:

Maybe I’m seeing her through a sexist lens, and she’s actually just as active as past Doctors, but so far, I’m not loving the writing for her.

I'm still waiting for someone to have a proper crack at 13 referring to companions as 'friends', and the fact Whittaker 'needs' a larger Scooby Doo gang to accompany her.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status/1056894446669832192

These dorks are absolutely adorable

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

navyjack posted:

So, I have a bit of a problem with this series so far, and it’s the way the Doctor often seems helpless in the face of badness. People do lovely things right in front of her (defenestrating Tim Shaw, being horribly racist, shooting big spider, and a bunch of smaller stuff) and she just gawps in an outraged fashion. In line with the criticism that she kinda seemed to give up when the Tardis wasn’t right there at the Ghost Monument.

She just seems really passive, which I don’t think is a good choice for any Doctor, let alone the first female Doctor.

The Doctor, in the past, has kind of a hardboiled detective thing going on sometimes where he moans horribly with helpless outrage, gets beat up pretty badly, then suddenly at the last possible second, he reveals that he knows his opponent's entire plan and has been playing the fool just to watch them get hoisted by their own petard.

You see it a lot in the Troughton era ("Oh my sainted Aunt! You can't do this, it isn't fair" followed by a bunch of whispering with Jaime and Zoe), with Four ("What a wonderful butler, he's so violent!", but somehow Four keeps foiling their plans), with Seven, who acts like a confused old kindly uncle until he starts swinging his cane and walking away from an explosion, with Nine (think of the scene in which he, and his self-described "sweet" new companion, get shoved around and photographed by guards until he says "Let's do it," and he and Jack easily escape), and with Twelve (the entire Davros scenario). It's there with Ten and Eleven, but a bit less so, because they tended to be a tad more boasty throughout the process. Whether that particular trope works well with a woman in the role is, justifiably, up for debate.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
Isn't a single instant shot to the head a lot more of a humane way to go than slowly suffocating in your own body that's too large for you?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Z. Autobahn posted:

Isn't a single instant shot to the head a lot more of a humane way to go than slowly suffocating in your own body that's too large for you?

What is more humane? Putting a giant spider that is suffocating to death out of its misery, or permanetly freezing someone in stasis to live for eternity as a scarecrow in a field while still retaining all their mental faculties in a fate worse than death 'I have no mouth but I must scream' scenario?

Only the Doctor knows!

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high

Infinitum posted:

What is more humane? Putting a giant spider that is suffocating to death out of its misery, or permanetly freezing someone in stasis to live for eternity as a scarecrow in a field while still retaining all their mental faculties in a fate worse than death 'I have no mouth but I must scream' scenario?

Only the Doctor knows!

idk I have a relatively easy time buying that different Doctors have different moral codes... but this was just a weird writing choice where we were supposed to think what JR did was 'wrong' but there were zero 'right' counteroptions presented. Like, just have the doctor throw out a line like "Get it to my TARDIS and I can take it to Arachnis 9 where it can live out its days" or whatever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
that was ok because it was series 3, the one in which he refuses to shoot the master because he would never kill anyone, so it's in perfect characterization really

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

that was ok because it was series 3, the one in which he refuses to shoot the master because he would never kill anyone, so it's in perfect characterization really

To be fair, he refuses to kill the Master specifically because he's literally the only other remaining Time Lord (as far as the Doctor knows), and he has signed up to force the Master to travel with Doctor in his TARDIS for all eternity, which, for the Master, is probably as bad the scarecrow thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Ten's ultimate punishments for attempting to destroy the human race: drowning your entire species, trapping you an a mirror for all eternity, and, worst of all, forcing you to be his roommate for your eternal life.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I liked the little detail of 13 saying that everyone's talking about Ed Sheeran "around this time." It's fun to imagine 2 or 3 running around their retrofuture versions of the 21st century complaining about him.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

that was ok because it was series 3, the one in which he refuses to shoot the master because he would never kill anyone using a gun, so it's in perfect characterization really

fixed

but seriously, The Doctor's moral principles between stories usually seem about as consistent as the time travel physics (excluding actual arcs of character development)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Bicyclops posted:

To be fair, he refuses to kill the Master specifically because he's literally the only other remaining Time Lord (as far as the Doctor knows), and he has signed up to force the Master to travel with Doctor in his TARDIS for all eternity, which, for the Master, is probably as bad the scarecrow thing.

he killed all the racnoss children who literally did nothing wrong at all but oh no he can't shoot harold saxon

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
On reflection there is one thing I am confused about.
What was it that "not Trump" was trying to get his assistant/niece in law to finish that she couldn't possibly get done in time (that he needed to be all secretive about and fired Yaz's mum for showing up) - she taped some sort of confession before she got spidered in the tunnel but they didn't know about the spiders at the time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Episode thots: 8/10 good spoders but not as many as I wanted, Chris Noth was hilarious, Tanya Fear is ludicrously gorgeous and I hope Chibnall invents some tenuous excuse to bring her character back, Yaz's family is adorable, Whittaker seems to be playing the Doctor as a tender-hearted dork, Yaz protested a bit much when her mom asked if she and the Doctor were dating so there's a ship right there, empty hotels are inherently spoopy, and Graham's grief subplot gives all the feels.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

he killed all the racnoss children who literally did nothing wrong at all but oh no he can't shoot harold saxon

Yeah, but ol' Harold, when offered the choice of "Being prisoner to the Doctor's eternal moralizing about how drowning innocents is fine, but guns are wrong," Harold literally said "That's alright, I think I'll just choose death." :v:

More seriously, Ten has some major problems with his morals but some of that is addressed in the story - everyone acknowledges the Racnoss thing is purely monstrous in context, and it's repeatedly suggested to him that he needs someone to travel with him to reign him in.

I prefer "Coward, every time"/ "The man who never would!" to "I used to have so much mercy..."/ "No second chances!" personally.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Mr Beens posted:

What was it that "not Trump" was trying to get his assistant/niece in law to finish that she couldn't possibly get done in time (that he needed to be all secretive about and fired Yaz's mum for showing up) - she taped some sort of confession before she got spidered in the tunnel but they didn't know about the spiders at the time.

It's about the waste disposal company he hired. They weren't following protocol and it was already bad enough, even before the monster spiders, that people were starting to notice it, likely in places other than just that one location.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mr Beens posted:

She was aware of them building the resort atop a waste dump that they had created.

What happened to the spider in Yaz's apartment?

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Davros1 posted:

What happened to the spider in Yaz's apartment?

It replaced her on the police force.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mr Beens posted:

The toxic waste dumped there would have made the hotel uninhabitable.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I mean I'm perfectly fine with a full on fantasy episode but at some points this episode felt like they were trying to put science where it doesn't belong.

Counterpoint: good science is about testing the limits of what's possible, not just going "you can't do that".

Jerusalem posted:

Which in turn are different from Metebelis 3 Eight-Legs, which are Alien Spiders (and also assholes).

THEY ARE NOT :mad:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

The Yas spider was the only thing that liked her dad's cooking, so he adopted it for a pet.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

So was this the first appearance of the bum bag/fanny pack?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

More seriously, Ten has some major problems with his morals but some of that is addressed in the story - everyone acknowledges the Racnoss thing is purely monstrous in context, and it's repeatedly suggested to him that he needs someone to travel with him to reign him in.

I prefer "Coward, every time"/ "The man who never would!" to "I used to have so much mercy..."/ "No second chances!" personally.

Eleven had a lot of that as well, to be honest. It's a bit weird, thinking about it again, that Twelve was meant to be this big, dark arc for The Doctor but I don't really remember him doing anything as sketchy as drowning a whole race of children, killing already retreating foes, or blowing up spaceships of semi-alive cyborg-foes just to leverage information. He was just a bit curt about people dying for a while.