Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Brought To You By posted:

I know Muteba is the only non-martial artist to make it through the brackets at this point. But man did everyone luck out with only a broken leg for Sawada, and Hanafusa having some broken fingers and nanomachines in his neck.

I'm curious to know your definition of 'martial artist' in this context. IMO Muteba has at least as much claim to the title as Wakatsuki who, aside from having developed at least one named technique, isn't affiliated with any particular style or master that I can recall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Mary Annette posted:

I'm curious to know your definition of 'martial artist' in this context. IMO Muteba has at least as much claim to the title as Wakatsuki who, aside from having developed at least one named technique, isn't affiliated with any particular style or master that I can recall.

"Anyone who practices a formal fighting style"
In the case of Wakatsuki, although he doesn't really use a martial art, his blast core specifically relies on delivering a karate punch and I have some spoiler knowledge as well regarding his background. So in his case you could say he also isn't a martial artist I guess? :shrug: If the argument made is that a single named move (heart jab, blast core) aren't the same as being a full on practitioner of a particular style which is fair. I kind of forgot about Wakatsuki.

Although the difference is that Wakatsuki does have some background whereas Muteba is purely a combat pragmatist and even him using footwork in just acclimating to a new environment.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 29, 2018

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

RareAcumen posted:

People said the same thing about Kuroki Gensai and look at how that one turned out.

Could've swore someone posted the tournament bracket with all the numbers for who picked in what order but this is the best I can do.

I wonder what the optimal pick position is. It can't be going first, because while you do avoid the Fang guaranteed, you don't get to have any control over your matchups at all.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Okubo is probably the "Four Idiots" fighter who could have gone the furthest if he hadn't been matched against an absolute top-tier fighter in the first round. While it's impossible to know for sure, I think he probably could have beaten most people in the tournament, with the exception of the absolute top-tier folks.

he would have beaten fang if he had been a split second faster on his soccer kick dude

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

The Lord of Hats posted:

I wonder what the optimal pick position is. It can't be going first, because while you do avoid the Fang guaranteed, you don't get to have any control over your matchups at all.

don't be foolish. If picking first wasn't the best option, kazuo wouldn't have landed it

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
All 4 brackets had a monster in it so none of them were easy

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Joseance posted:

All 4 brackets had a monster in it so none of them were easy

Turns out the CEO competent enough to get a grandmaster/monster where smart enough to exhausting them (with the exception of Tokyo Power, abit for decent reasons)

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
They gave kazzy like 2 minutes to pick, I don’t think they had a ton of time to think about the matchups beyond the first round. It also is skewed when you have groups like Nogi and Toyo picking just not to match up against each other or for other reasons

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

drat if rihito was just a tiny bit more lucky he would have fought a kaneda instead of the ultimate super jobber Gensai RIP (he would have lost against kaneda probably)

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Cao Ni Ma posted:

drat if rihito was just a tiny bit more lucky he would have fought a kaneda instead of the ultimate super jobber Gensai RIP (he would have lost against kaneda probably)

I'm not sure who Rihito could actually beat. The actor, maybe?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rihito is very credulous so he is probably the #1 easiest mark the actor could have faced

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Rihito and Sawada seem to be rivals, so they're probably on a similar level.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Rihito's ripper fingers seem to be a natural counter to Inaba's hair-based techniques.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ Inaba's hair is abnormally strong, so I'm not sure if his fingers could have handled it. Maybe. But I kinda think that Inaba's assassin techniques would have defeated him; he wasn't even able to beat Ohma using his much weaker Niko style during their earlier match.

Begemot posted:

Rihito probably could have beaten the actor just because he's kinda a dumbass and wasn't even intimidated by Gensai, and the actor's whole deal is tricking people into thinking he's a huge badass.

I think Rihito could have feasibly put up a fight against some of the fighters like fisherman dude, Saw Paing, the guy Kaneda replaced (if he had stayed in the tournament), and obviously his rival-ish guy (the kicking dude), even if he would have probably lost against the first couple.

They've made it clear that Rihito is genuinely talented and has a strong fighting sense; his biggest weakness is likely that he has no real structured martial art experience, and he lacks the completely ridiculous physique necessary to pull that off winning despite that (like Bando or Julius). His fingers are a strong weapon, but not enough on their own against the sort of fighters in this tournament. It's easy to underestimate Rihito given how goofy he acts, but I think his omake chapter was meant to show that the guy is actually a serious fighter who can make sport of other professional fighters.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Oct 30, 2018

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The preliminary rounds showed that even fodder fighters in the main tournament like Sawada and Rihito can beat a dozen average Kengan fighters without too much trouble. It's just hard to remember that when the main tournament is full of total freaks and once-in-a-generation talents.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Begemot posted:

I don't see why he couldn't beat most of the first round losers. The only ones that feel unlikely are Kiozan, Mokichi, Meguro, and Ren.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, this is the cream of the crop.

Also Rihito managed to figure out how Setsuna lived through Genai's final strike, so he does have an eye for that stuff when he puts his mind to it.

What I love about this tournament structure is that any wounds you take carry on, there's no magical healing fountain where fighters can just straight up rejuvenate from battle. There is the substitution, but so far it hasn't been used and I wonder if it ever will be. So that also comes into consideration, cause you can win, but be in worse shape than your opponent after the fight is over (see: Cosmo, Ouma in his fight with Jun). And then there's poo poo like the plot to kill Bando with poison (which ultimately failed, but still).

Also, winning doesn't necessarily mean you're stronger, it just means you overcame. Like, Cosmo's CEO pretty much tells Akoya that he was superior to Cosmo in every way. But Cosmo won. So upsets are possible, but losing doesn't mean you're weak, so the story doesn't feel the need to devalue anyone who's lost, which lets them remain badass and continue to develop (Adam's probably benefited the most from this, but Himuro has too despite not even being in the tournament proper).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Hypocrisy posted:

I don't see why he couldn't beat most of the first round losers. The only ones that feel unlikely are Kiozan, Mokichi, Meguro, and Ren.

He could probably beat Meguro as long as he was willing to kill him.

And yeah, Rihito is definitely very strong among fighters in general... it's just that this tournament is packed with top-tier talent. And he's only there because Nogi suckered him with the same deal he gave Kazzy, don't forget :v:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like, that part where Ouma's doing his mental training on how he can beat Adam and Gozo where imaginary Nico goes, "You're only basing this on what you've seen, they probably have other stuff they couldn't show off due to how their match went" was really nice.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

rihito is very credulous so he is probably the #1 easiest mark the actor could have faced

It's stated in the original storyboards/plans for Kengan Ashura, that the actor would have made it to the third round. He's a LOT stronger than he appears; he just got a bum match up

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NutritiousSnack posted:

It's stated in the original storyboards/plans for Kengan Ashura, that the actor would have made it to the third round. He's a LOT stronger than he appears; he just got a bum match up

It's interesting how he's sorta similar to Hatsumi (and Fang) in that they both get stronger as they fight in more matches as a part of their gimmick. With Hatsumi, each fight helps him get in the mood, while with Chiba, each fight he wins gives him time to accumulate more experience and techniques.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

NutritiousSnack posted:

EDIT: Gao's the most popular character in the series, let's see what he can do.

Where is this from? I'm surprised Gao's the number 1 pick, though he is great.

Hate-Senpai posted:

Like, that part where Ouma's doing his mental training on how he can beat Adam and Gozo where imaginary Nico goes, "You're only basing this on what you've seen, they probably have other stuff they couldn't show off due to how their match went" was really nice.

Yeah, I loved that.Just because he saw them fight like that in that matchup, it doesn't mean that was the extent of their abilities or how they would've approached Ouma.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

When I stop and think about it, quite a few fighters seem to have a gimmick that is just "is freakishly strong." Haruo, Wakatsuki, Julius, Adam Dudley, and sorta Murobuchi Gozo all have that same gimmick. They should have played up Haruo's hunting stuff, and done...something with Dudley and "American streetfighting" (whatever that would consist of).

edit: Also Raian basically amounts to this, since he didn't use Kure techniques.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Artelier posted:

Where is this from? I'm surprised Gao's the number 1 pick, though he is great.

Yeah, I loved that.Just because he saw them fight like that in that matchup, it doesn't mean that was the extent of their abilities or how they would've approached Ouma.

I think I read somewhere (here? Reddit?) that Gao is really popular among Thai readers?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ytlaya posted:

When I stop and think about it, quite a few fighters seem to have a gimmick that is just "is freakishly strong." Haruo, Wakatsuki, Julius, Adam Dudley, and sorta Murobuchi Gozo all have that same gimmick. They should have played up Haruo's hunting stuff, and done...something with Dudley and "American streetfighting" (whatever that would consist of).

edit: Also Raian basically amounts to this, since he didn't use Kure techniques.

Gozo's also got speed, the story plays up his speed more than his strength. Dude's called the fastest man alive.

Adam Dudley's thing is his trunk, though that sorta gets outdone by the fisherman who's got that and insane acrobatics.

Haruo's gimmick was pretty much killed by civilization, we're probably gonna have to wait for a Part 2 or something to see the true Haru cause I do not think he can shed all that weight by the end of this series.

But yeah, they can sorta seem same-ish and overlapping, which is probably why they went down early on. Only Wakatsuki is left among the strongmen.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

adam dudley has gently caress written on his teeth which is the source of his american powers

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Begemot posted:

I also liked the tidbit about the other bodyguard making his own eyepatch. This team is really good at adding just a little personality to even the most minor characters.

Also, his skills are "Housework and Assassination". Sounds like a good premise / title for a action-comedy manga series.

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 30, 2018

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

JosephWongKS posted:

Also, his skills are "Housework and Assassination". Sounds like a good premise / title for a action-comedy manga series.

way of the house husband is sorta that, though he quit the murdering business

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
New chapter!!!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/473458/1

Agito's bringing out the infinity symbol!!!!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Hit him in the face again Gaolong.

Also, it certainly feels like there is magical healing. People talk about lingering injuries but in practice they're stronger after every fight despite the damage they've taken.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It depends on the fighter, I think, and their way of fighting.

Like, Cosmo or Ouma don't seem like they'll magically recover. Cosmo took a relentless beating from Akoya, Ouma's Advance literally kills him.

A lot of characters who lost in Round 1 are still recuperating. Notably Mokichi, who's still unconscious last time I checked, but also Gozo and Inaba.

Characters who got defeated in a way that wasn't just "beat them till their body doesn't respond" aren't as badly off. See: Akoya and Adam (via Cosmo), Okubo, Kiozan, Saw Paing (Rei was unable to defeat him in blow so had to resort to loving with his brain), Jun in his fight against Ouma.

Jun takes a ton of damage by nature due to his fighting style, and Muteba even says that Jun could have been harder to beat if he wasn't already wounded from his fight against Kiozan.

And of course Meguro ain't ever recovering.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Oct 30, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Hanafusa is basically handing out miracle healings like candy. He even had his own neck broken and survived because of "machines". Everyone that lost a tooth got dental implants the same day. Marvelous Seki's ear drums were ruptured and are perfectly fine right now. Mokichi's neck is apparently better, he's just in a coma. And Wakatsuki is getting a skin graft also on the same day. Only Ohma and Cosmo are really feeling the brunt of their injuries.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

Hanafusa is basically handing out miracle healings like candy. He even had his own neck broken and survived because of "machines". Everyone that lost a tooth got dental implants the same day. Marvelous Seki's ear drums were ruptured and are perfectly fine right now. Mokichi's neck is apparently better, he's just in a coma. And Wakatsuki is getting a skin graft also on the same day. Only Ohma and Cosmo are really feeling the brunt of their injuries.

Also I don't think we've seen the Murobuchi Gozo at all since he lost his fight.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Also I don't think we've seen the Murobuchi Gozo at all since he lost his fight.

He was trying to cheer Kazzy on chap 163

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oh! Well, was he around before that little cameo at the least? I could've swore him and actormimic basically fell into a void as far as this manga was concerned with them.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Vast majority of fighters being actually cool and friendly guys outside of the ring is still one of my favorite things about Kengan Ashura.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I vaguely recall Rihito killing two people early in the manga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

now this is a good loving fight