Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense

Phi230 posted:

So an O'Doyle heckled me in Valentine and when I antagonized him he swung on me. We had a fist fight which i won.

However apparently fighting back is a crime and they called the local lawman and he told me to gently caress off or else

Cool game.

This is the biggest thing bugging me, there's no mechanic for self defence which as far as I've understood it was legal.

Phi230 posted:

Also it seems wearing a mask didnt work to prevent a bounty

Someone recognised your clothes from when you didn't have a mask on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Nolgthorn posted:

This is the biggest thing bugging me, there's no mechanic for self defence which as far as I've understood it was legal.

Not being able to defend yourself in public is so annoying. In a story mission you punch someone and get pats on the back and free beer, but if you are having a drink and two dude start smashing patrons into the bar and harassing everyone and you goad them into throwing the first punch and beat their asses the people in the bar start firing guns at you screaming about what a monster you are.

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
So I feel I either missed it or I'm just stupid but hope someone can help out with this:

Spoilers for First Stranger Quest in Valentine:

I did the quest finding all the different people to talk to about the drunk gunslinger in the bar in Valentine. Black Belle, Billy Midnight, Granger, and the guy up north that I forget his name. I've done all of them, taken photos of the corpses, and I didn't get anything for it.
When I go back to the bar the writer isn't there, am I supposed to find him somewhere else or how does it work?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Not sure you can actually steal most of the really valuable stuff, like guns and clothes from their respective stores and horses from the stables. Most people don't carry more than like a dollar on them. Best you can hope for is a nice pocket watch to fence eventually, and that's only if you also murder them so you can dig through their pockets.

you can lasso and hogtie people to get around having to kill them. but mask or no, you take an honour hit every time you loot an innocent. I actually gave a poo poo about honour until I kept checking it as it fell and didn't see any -10% penalty on shop prices. so now I'm just going crazy hijacking stagecoaches and selling them for $40 a pop for 5 minutes worth of work. plus it's annoying when someone opens fire on you and you get an honour hit if you retaliate and they die, so gently caress honour at this point.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

I'm gonna guess I'm not "allowed" to go in Blackwater this early in the game because I was riding through, full tilt, mask on, and two lawmen just appeared on my mini-map and killed me in about 3 seconds.

for the javier quest that starts in blackwater, I approached from the east side over the river, just made my horse swim it. originally, I sniped 4 dudes out of a boat (technically two, the other two got shotgunned as they were swimming to shore). swam to the boat and hopped in, only to realise I can't use it, so I shot some holes in the bottom and it sank. then I went back to shore, hopped on my horse and swam across. it helped me avoid the lawman bullshit camping if you enter blackwater through the roads.

I've been pretty awful lately in terms of how wantonly destructive I'm being, and I still think the bounty system is borked. I'll put a mask on, kill witnesses, leave no one alive, and I'll still get a bounty attributed to my name. doesn't make sense, who the gently caress is reporting me. some omniscient lawman in the sky zip zooping around, reporting me in via radio frequency straight to the cerebral network so his other lawman buddies can instantly know I'm a big meanie.

I did a hunting mission with charles, and he was going on a real long tangent about how sacred animals are and we should respect them and only take what we need, and I'm just sitting there awkwardly seeing as just before this, I was killing a poo poo tonne of bison and leaving their corpses behind if they had 1* pelts. I then failed the mission because charles told me to take a bison out cleanly, and I decided to lasso it, get right up in it's face, and kick it to death. charles flipped his poo poo saying I ruined the pelt. I didn't care cause I kicked a fuckin bison to death.

esperterra posted:

To avoid a bounty you need to gently caress off and change clothes before you get identified.

Nolgthorn posted:

can people stop saying this, it's like a wives tale that just keeps getting spread. changing clothes and wearing a mask doesn't do poo poo, if a witness gets away, the lawmen hack into your console and decrypt your user ID to figure out you're the arthur morgan. I'm only saying this cause I believed you doodoo heads and added like 10 minutes prep time whenever I'd be a bad boy, and it doesn't actually do anything.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 29, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I got in a bad horse accident and the guy gets up and starts shooting me, I kill him and that's a crime

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Can anyone tell me what constitutes something your horse will jump over? I can be going full sprint and the dumb animal won't jump over a half foot rock and will just trip over it. Do you have to be utterly pixel perfectly lined up with it or something?

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Diabetic posted:

So I feel I either missed it or I'm just stupid but hope someone can help out with this:

I did the quest finding all the different people to talk to about the drunk gunslinger in the bar in Valentine. Black Belle, Billy Midnight, Granger, and the guy up north that I forget his name. I've done all of them, taken photos of the corpses, and I didn't get anything for it.
When I go back to the bar the writer isn't there, am I supposed to find him somewhere else or how does it work?

If you look at the log for the mission it'll tell you that you'll be able to continue it later.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Diabetic posted:

It continues way, way later.

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Its annoying that you have such a short time to react to various happenings. I was riding up to a gated farm in Rhodes, there where two guards in front of the gate. I smelled a rat and slowed down to a stop about 20 metres away from them.
Their warning soundbites didn't even get to play before all hell was loose; "Hey hold u- ALRIGHT YOU GON GET IT NOW!!!"
I panic, ramming my horse head first into a tree, i fly off and tumble face first into the mud. I scramble to my feet and desperately try to aim the nearest badguy, but nope. It appears my dying horse is targetable in combat, so i end up executing my own horse by accident. Goodbye Chomper, goodbye my 3 perfect deer pelts. And goodbye to my daily amount of goodwill for this game's sluggishness and janks. Ugh.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

gently caress the KKK

Qubee
May 31, 2013

oh, I got into a bar fight in valentine. I tried antagonizing that fuckin annoying mountain man guy, the one who gets drunk regularly and slanders everyone, but the option to antag was greyed out. so I bullied the guy next to him, we got into a fist fight, and mountain man came in swinging, which I found surprising, seeing as he's such a riotous oval office to everyone normally. I quickly knocked the first guy out, and then went toe to toe with the beast. he's tough as god drat nails. then someone ran to the sheriff cause I was disturbing the peace (fair enough), and the sheriff stood and watched us duke it out, telling us to stop (I was bracing for the inevitable bullet spray he'd do, but he didn't). right as I knock the mountain man on his rear end, the sheriff pulls his pistol and I surrender. that was a really fun bar fight. I loving hate that racoon-hat wearing peckerhead, but credit where credit is due, the man can fight. we were hammering away at each other for five minutes, no joke, just ducking and weaving and he'd slam the poo poo out of my face. first ever fist fight that drained my stamina and left me unable to block or dodge.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Phi230 posted:

So an O'Doyle heckled me in Valentine and when I antagonized him he swung on me. We had a fist fight which i won.

However apparently fighting back is a crime and they called the local lawman and he told me to gently caress off or else

Cool game.

Also it seems wearing a mask didnt work to prevent a bounty
it's because you antagonized him back. It's a lovely mechanic, but it's just the way it is.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

last post before I stop spamming this thread: do yourselves a favour and buy the fastest horse you can, and then buy the most expensive stirrups. saddle also helps but isn't required. it makes such a huge difference to travel time. I went from a 5 speed warhorse to a 7 (or 8) speed racehorse and the thing is nippy. even though it's a couple levels higher in speed, it's way way faster. wish I'd done it sooner. only cost me $150 as well. so now if I am planning on going somewhere hot with lots of combat, I'll take my warhorse. for everything else, I'll just use my racehorse. and if it dies, I'm not too fussed, only cost $150 and there's a bunch of others around. since it's mainly used for travelling, bond doesn't matter cause I won't be getting into fights.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I said come in! posted:

gently caress the KKK

I love that when you wipe them out and ride away Arthur says something like "I hate these bastards" in a really cold tone.

Qubee posted:

last post before I stop spamming this thread: do yourselves a favour and buy the fastest horse you can, and then buy the most expensive stirrups. saddle also helps but isn't required. it makes such a huge difference to travel time. I went from a 5 speed warhorse to a 7 (or 8) speed racehorse and the thing is nippy. even though it's a couple levels higher in speed, it's way way faster. wish I'd done it sooner. only cost me $150 as well. so now if I am planning on going somewhere hot with lots of combat, I'll take my warhorse. for everything else, I'll just use my racehorse. and if it dies, I'm not too fussed, only cost $150 and there's a bunch of others around. since it's mainly used for travelling, bond doesn't matter cause I won't be getting into fights.

I keep my second $1000 Arabian stabled and take it out on long rides. If I'm off to kill some folk or cause lots of trouble, I ride out on old Ironhead Sam my max level war horse. I wish I could put some armour on him because that horse has killed more men than Dutch by now.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Very much enjoying swamp in storm. Very spooky also thank you horse for getting nervous about that gator I didn't see a few feet away.

Also if a gang attacks you in town and you don't want a bounty just either ride away or go to the sherriff and he will run him off.

Also also my advice on the Micah mission without spoilers is to search the whole way around the building before going in and talking to the sherriff as it can have an impact on the way the rest plays out.

Also I fully don't understand how people have trouble with the bounty system as beyond the bit in that mission I have been looting and killing my way through the world and judicious use of bullets and bandanas have kept me clean.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I said come in! posted:

gently caress the KKK

You gotta let those events play out, they'll always find ways to hilariously murder the poo poo out of themselves, and then you can beat up the black robed guy to get a note that details his sad loving life. So far I've seen "idiots lights themselves on fire while trying to burn a cross" and "two idiots crushed to death while trying to put up a really big cross".

Also, update on Cave Satan. So far I've tried waiting out his monologue and trying to Greet (tells you to gently caress off), Antagonize (tells you to gently caress off), and threaten with a weapon (runs away further into his cave). I also tried throwing a live human sacrifice into the side room with the death pit, nothing. There doesn't seem to be any way to climb any of the cliff faces in either room to get to the tunnel complex that's above you. I did notice that you don't get the prompt to mark the location on your map until you try to leave after the monologue. I'm going to try and come back later, give it some time, maybe you have to wait a few days. I'm hoping you don't have to be capital E evil on the morality slider to complete this hidden quest lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Babe Magnet posted:

You gotta let those events play out, they'll always find ways to hilariously murder the poo poo out of themselves, and then you can beat up the black robed guy to get a note that details his sad loving life. So far I've seen "idiots lights themselves on fire while trying to burn a cross" and "two idiots crushed to death while trying to put up a really big cross".

I've only seen them accidentally light their robes, then I burned the rest with molotovs before riding down the boss, roping him and feeding him to an alligator.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I bagged the Legendary Buck today and since in order to make the Buck Trinket, I have to ride ALL the gently caress back to Emerald Ranch (i had the Legendary carcass on the back as a gift to my campsite), so I put it on cinematic mode because it's a LONG ride and I didn't want to lose the carcass. Everything is going great until about 8 minutes later those loving O'Doyles set up an ambush along a wooded path where packs of wolves are known to wander.

I don't think a game has made me yell out "NO! FUUUUUCK!" in a long time like this one. Thankfully, the Buck antlers and hide were still there after respawning.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

JBP posted:

I've only seen them accidentally light their robes, then I burned the rest with molotovs before riding down the boss, roping him and feeding him to an alligator.

The Crushed Themselves one I actually found in the mountains north of Strawberry. Maybe they start spawning around the rest of the map after the first event?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Sedisp posted:

Literally all the fun stuff to do in the game makes you be bad. Bounty hunting is limited so unless you like doing chores or doing nothing till you run into someone that needs help there is nothing you can do if you're trying to be good.

being bad is therefore its own reward :3:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

super macho dude posted:

I bagged the Legendary Buck today and since in order to make the Buck Trinket, I have to ride ALL the gently caress back to Emerald Ranch (i had the Legendary carcass on the back as a gift to my campsite), so I put it on cinematic mode because it's a LONG ride and I didn't want to lose the carcass. Everything is going great until about 8 minutes later those loving O'Doyles set up an ambush along a wooded path where packs of wolves are known to wander.

I don't think a game has made me yell out "NO! FUUUUUCK!" in a long time like this one. Thankfully, the Buck antlers and hide were still there after respawning.

If you ever somehow do lose the parts for a legendary animal, you get a tooltip that says they've gone into the Trapper/Fence's inventories for crafting purposes. So you can't miss out on any of the gear, but you don't get the cash for selling them

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man people keep hating on my tricorne hat. Even loving Mary had the audacity to tell me that my clothes look like poo poo in the middle of a god drat mission. I'll keep the hat forever! Btw, can I get an eye-patch and a sabre somewhere? Also what are the most pirate looking clothes I can get?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Nolgthorn posted:

My game seems okay with self defence, even killing someone hand to hand is a-okay most times.

But holy poo poo if I loot the corpse afterwards.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
That channel that does 'Videogame Myths' just started a set on RDR2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUF_-O1hkR8

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Popelmon posted:

Man people keep hating on my tricorne hat. Even loving Mary had the audacity to tell me that my clothes look like poo poo in the middle of a god drat mission. I'll keep the hat forever! Btw, can I get an eye-patch and a sabre somewhere? Also what are the most pirate looking clothes I can get?

Eyepatch no, Sabre yes. It's on a swamp island to the SE of Caliga Hall, the Greys plantation.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

goferchan posted:

If you ever somehow do lose the parts for a legendary animal, you get a tooltip that says they've gone into the Trapper/Fence's inventories for crafting purposes. So you can't miss out on any of the gear, but you don't get the cash for selling them

I think the biggest surprise really was how big of a cluster gently caress that ambush was. 5 or 6 O'Doyle's shooting at me, a pack of timber wolves attacking EVERYONE, and me fumbling to try and get out of cinematic mode in time to shoot back. At least my horse survived :unsmith:

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Babe Magnet posted:

Best part of this if you read the meeting notes from their last meeting found on one of the bodies, one of the items of business says "look into flame retardant robe material?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Finally checked out the gunsmith to get a varmint rifle and discovered the customization menus. *extremely John Hammond voice* We spared no expense!

tjones
May 13, 2005
My personal goal of making it through Blackwater while the active bounty is pending hasn't been going so well. The drat sheriffs have turned to deputizing the wild life.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Anyone know if satchel effects stack like trinkets and talismans?

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Anybody looking to do extensive hunting needs to invest in Scent Cover. It's ridiculous how close it lets you get to even the Legendary wildlife.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ZeusCannon posted:

Also I fully don't understand how people have trouble with the bounty system as beyond the bit in that mission I have been looting and killing my way through the world and judicious use of bullets and bandanas have kept me clean.

If you ride into town on a new horse with new clothes in an executioners hood using guns that the town has never seen and you shoot a lawman you will immediately receive a bounty.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

super macho dude posted:

Anybody looking to do extensive hunting needs to invest in Scent Cover. It's ridiculous how close it lets you get to even the Legendary wildlife.

I've never done any hunting really so I think the next few nights I'm just going to ease off the story missions and get out exploring. People also keep mentioning all this cool poo poo they've discovered so I think I want to start investigating houses and nature more.

KingNastidon
Jun 25, 2004

Zotix posted:

Leave the entire area and come back. You likely missed him initally and he ran off somewhere. Leave the are completely for like 3 game days and he will reset.

Can you come back and catch the white arabian again if you kill it later? Or can you catch a second while the other is still alive?

The black arabian that I purchased got instakilled with no ability to revive from a pretty modest fall. I've only killed a couple by chapter 6, but horse permadeath is a really tedious timesink for the sake of realism. Getting $1k late game still takes a lot of time unless I'm missing something.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Please stop crying about the game ''punishing'' you for playing as a bad guy. Did you expect stores to offer a discount because you're a piece of poo poo?

Here's a hint: Being a murderer is its own reward because you get to kill and then rob everyone.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I didnt save Jimmy

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ravenkult posted:

Please stop crying about the game ''punishing'' you for playing as a bad guy. Did you expect stores to offer a discount because you're a piece of poo poo?

Here's a hint: Being a murderer is its own reward because you get to kill and then rob everyone.

Has anyone done this? I've only complained or seen complaints when the game reacts poorly to defending yourself in situations where it makes sense. I thought the time I got ambushed and then tried to (poorly) convince a passerby that he misunderstood the situation was great despite leaving a lot of bodies on that trail in the end.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Deified Data posted:

The one with the altar and the skeletons in bed

I missed this where is it?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

JBP posted:

Has anyone done this? I've only complained or seen complaints when the game reacts poorly to defending yourself in situations where it makes sense. I thought the time I got ambushed and then tried to (poorly) convince a passerby that he misunderstood the situation was great despite leaving a lot of bodies on that trail in the end.

About 3 pages back.

Also re: bounties. Try the full masks, I'm almost certain witnesses can't recognize you then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I discovered four things that made me wish I had been able to get the game digitally via that sweet Gamestop promotion. 1) Xbox one x appears to be extremely finicky about disc checks and 2) Rockstar does the ol' two discs on one spindle thing and 3) I guess if your Xbox one decides the disc isn't adequate 4) then gently caress you.