Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Babe Magnet posted:

Eyepatch no, Sabre yes. It's on a swamp island to the SE of Caliga Hall, the Greys plantation.

Thank you, that sabre is perfect! Finally I can skewer all those ruffians that make fun of my tricorne with style!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ravenkult posted:

Please stop crying about the game ''punishing'' you for playing as a bad guy. Did you expect stores to offer a discount because you're a piece of poo poo?

Here's a hint: Being a murderer is its own reward because you get to kill and then rob everyone.

Or... You could offer benefits like more money during robberies and more fence items when looting. Both of which make sense for a piece of poo poo to get.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man that Mary Beth conversation everyone's already talked about kind of sucks. I haven't been killing animals needlessly. I've hunted a bit to keep our camp supplied with food and pelts for gently caress's sake. And I haven't even done that much hunting.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Sedisp posted:

Or... You could offer benefits like more money during robberies and more fence items when looting. Both of which make sense for a piece of poo poo to get.

You're only getting more, people that dont murder randoms get zero.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sedisp posted:

Yeah I don't know. I make a lot more money robbing people, stealing horses and killing than I do with any other action that isn't a story mission. The only thing I'd like to see is situations where your very black reputation means people are more likely to just fearfully surrender their poo poo and not fight back.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

ravenkult posted:

You're only getting more, people that dont murder randoms get zero.

What are you talking about? Kill any random rival gang congrats that isnt an infamy hit!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So, I've played a few hours, but given my weird work-life schedule, haven't done much but wandered around... Boy is it serene!

A couple questions:

1) Everywhere I go, I greet people, and (I'd say, maybe more than 50% of the time) I'm treated like the devil incarnate. (Cowering blind beggars when I approach to give them money, people saying poo poo like "No more of that, thank you!" and "You just watch yourself!"
Also people who are outright hostile. One dude on a horse riding into town I tried to say hi to him (that is, I DID say hi to him) and he pulled a gun on me. I put him down. (No, I wasn't already holding a weapon, and no, I haven't been committing crimes (just the bar brawl, in a whole different town.) Am I doing something wrong or is this standard behavior? Just wanna make sure I didn't opt for the "gently caress ALL YALL" DLC T Shirt or something.

2) Hosea took me out to that Legendary bear and I gave it a go. Hosea decided to give up, gave me the map, and I tracked the bear. It killed me, viciously. How do I, like... re-track it? Do I just wander around the area? All trails and clues are gone from the "path" I was on before.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Idk people are generally pretty chill to me but first thing I did upon getting to Valentine was buying nicer clothes so maybe that matters?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Qubee posted:

I'll put a mask on, kill witnesses, leave no one alive, and I'll still get a bounty attributed to my name. doesn't make sense, who the gently caress is reporting me. some omniscient lawman in the sky zip zooping around, reporting me in via radio frequency straight to the cerebral network so his other lawman buddies can instantly know I'm a big meanie.

I believe rockstar calls this "emergent gameplay"

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Feenix posted:

So, I've played a few hours, but given my weird work-life schedule, haven't done much but wandered around... Boy is it serene!

A couple questions:

1) Everywhere I go, I greet people, and (I'd say, maybe more than 50% of the time) I'm treated like the devil incarnate. (Cowering blind beggars when I approach to give them money, people saying poo poo like "No more of that, thank you!" and "You just watch yourself!"
Also people who are outright hostile. One dude on a horse riding into town I tried to say hi to him (that is, I DID say hi to him) and he pulled a gun on me. I put him down. (No, I wasn't already holding a weapon, and no, I haven't been committing crimes (just the bar brawl, in a whole different town.) Am I doing something wrong or is this standard behavior? Just wanna make sure I didn't opt for the "gently caress ALL YALL" DLC T Shirt or something.

Did you have blood on you? Bruises?

e: Also, bandana on your face?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Feenix posted:

2) Hosea took me out to that Legendary bear and I gave it a go. Hosea decided to give up, gave me the map, and I tracked the bear. It killed me, viciously. How do I, like... re-track it? Do I just wander around the area? All trails and clues are gone from the "path" I was on before.

Yeh I need to work out how to hunt. That bear located and destroyed me, shrugging off panicked dead eye pistol fire to the brain.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

If you ride into town on a new horse with new clothes in an executioners hood using guns that the town has never seen and you shoot a lawman you will immediately receive a bounty.

Yes?

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

The only thing I dislike in this game is the lawmen spawning at random during a chase. And not even spawning out of sight but in chase range, but literally spawning 1 meter behind you. That's just bad.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

That's bad.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Yeh I need to work out how to hunt. That bear located and destroyed me, shrugging off panicked dead eye pistol fire to the brain.

Did you notice a button prompt while the bear was tearing your guts from your abdomen?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

DrNutt posted:

Man that Mary Beth conversation everyone's already talked about kind of sucks. I haven't been killing animals needlessly. I've hunted a bit to keep our camp supplied with food and pelts for gently caress's sake. And I haven't even done that much hunting.

It's kind of like the Michael therapist sessions. Arthur kind of talks about all the "bad" poo poo he did. But like you said, if you hunt a lot to keep the camp fed and to make nice things for it, the game doesn't account for context. So it's like he just went out in the while and murdered little woodland creatures for the hell of it. That part of the game, while neat, just doesn't work for that reason.

Do satchel effects stack or do I have to pick and choose?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

DrNutt posted:

Yeah there's a few conversations in the camp that are a little weird, like they've been designed with the assumption you'll be playing pretty kill happy and not giving a poo poo about the camp. Had the main lady chew me out for not contributing when the ledger is "Arthur Morgan = $2000, Micah = $45, everyone else = $2 each" and I've bought all the upgrades available as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Did you notice a button prompt while the bear was tearing your guts from your abdomen?

Nah, it just swiped me and sent me hurtling away?

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The first chance i got im going to murder Micah

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah there's a few conversations in the camp that are a little weird, like they've been designed with the assumption you'll be playing pretty kill happy and not giving a poo poo about the camp. Had the main lady chew me out for not contributing when the ledger is "Arthur Morgan = $2000, Micah = $45, everyone else = $2 each" and I've bought all the upgrades available as well.

you ain't done your chores

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ravenkult posted:

Did you have blood on you? Bruises?

e: Also, bandana on your face?

Typically clean or clean-ish.

No bandana.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

ravenkult posted:

Maybe, I've done quite a lot of them though and it's sorta like "come on, I'm like, the big boy of the gang, you really gonna have a go at me for not carrying these small hay bales across the camp or chopping 5 logs between going out and robbing trains/banks/stagecoaches or helping the other members out of whatever dumb bullshit they've gotten themselves stuck in this time?". It's a bit weird.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Nah, it just swiped me and sent me hurtling away?

Okay, it charged me and started mauling me from on top, I got a prompt to press circle to "fight" so I did and arthur disembovelled the bear with his knife

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Feenix posted:

Typically clean or clean-ish.

No bandana.

Probably the game thought you did something in that town earlier.

This only happened to me after going back to Valentine and three dudes jumped me for no reason because I was unwelcome there.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ravenkult posted:

I don't do any chores because gently caress walking back and forth with a bucket or whatever. I picked up the bucket and dropped it half way like gently caress this poo poo I'm going out killing. Enjoy your fine lodgings and fancy provisions what I done bought you all.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Where do you find your robbery tips? I got one from a random encounter but I can’t remember. Is it in the journal or nah

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Anybody got an easy spot for reaping in the animal fat? Want to make 'splodin bullets by the caseload.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Starks posted:

Where do you find your robbery tips? I got one from a random encounter but I can’t remember. Is it in the journal or nah

There is a post office worker that will give you stage coach tips. Gang members in camp will take you out rustling and robbing, but I think they only give you those options every now and then or maybe in the afternoon?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I didn’t. He literally knocked me down and I died instantly. Unless it flashed super quick. Maybe it was because my life wasn’t full??

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Feenix posted:

I didn’t. He literally knocked me down and I died instantly. Unless it flashed super quick. Maybe it was because my life wasn’t full??

Maybe, my life bar was pretty full.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hunting a big rear end bear with a pistol is a mistake I think

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Moridin920 posted:

Hunting a big rear end bear with a pistol is a mistake I think

I'd hit it with my double barreled shotgun and it didn't stop so I switched and went dead eye.

Also all my guns were in bad condition for a long time because I wasn't aware of that mechanic until well into the game. I was like "this dual pistol poo poo isn't very good" as I went BANG... pause.... pause... BANG.... in every fight. Just on this, clean your guns after going into swampy areas it will demolish them.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

JBP posted:

I'd hit it with my double barreled shotgun and it didn't stop so I switched and went dead eye.

This.

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Sitting on the heights just east of Twin Stack Pass and waiting for the perfect moment to descend on a lone stagecoach is such a fun experience.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There was one pamphlet-giving guy in Saint Denis where I was like “I bet they let you beat the poo poo out of him with no legal consequences” and they do

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

This game is on another drat level when it comes to scenery and sense of place. Even the most mundane scene just looks so goddamn stunning

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Sedisp posted:

That's bad.

You shot a cop in town what would you expect to happen?

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Stevie Lee posted:

I shaved all the hair off and I'm not wearing a hat until I get a bear hat

bald is beautiful.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I have two horses and they are my beat friends:

Meet Neighsayer

Also, Mane Ingredient

The swamps down south are monstrous and beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Qubee posted:

oh, I got into a bar fight in valentine. I tried antagonizing that fuckin annoying mountain man guy, the one who gets drunk regularly and slanders everyone, but the option to antag was greyed out. so I bullied the guy next to him, we got into a fist fight, and mountain man came in swinging, which I found surprising, seeing as he's such a riotous oval office to everyone normally. I quickly knocked the first guy out, and then went toe to toe with the beast. he's tough as god drat nails. then someone ran to the sheriff cause I was disturbing the peace (fair enough), and the sheriff stood and watched us duke it out, telling us to stop (I was bracing for the inevitable bullet spray he'd do, but he didn't). right as I knock the mountain man on his rear end, the sheriff pulls his pistol and I surrender. that was a really fun bar fight. I loving hate that racoon-hat wearing peckerhead, but credit where credit is due, the man can fight. we were hammering away at each other for five minutes, no joke, just ducking and weaving and he'd slam the poo poo out of my face. first ever fist fight that drained my stamina and left me unable to block or dodge.

Haha you missed that coon hat brah