Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

LividLiquid posted:

While we're on this topic, can we maybe not use the "vaginas make women crazy" word?

I’m not changing vocabulary that has no sexual charge in practical use because it was offensive 120 years ago. Nobody has used “hysterical” to refer to women or beliefs about ingrained characteristics in generations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Rebecca Corry (one of Louis CK's victims) called out Silverman over her anecdote:
https://twitter.com/TheRebeccaCorry/status/1054471083967959040

Silverman responded:
https://twitter.com/SarahKSilverman/status/1054476111873228800

Rebecca Corry and his other victims should be even more pissed off at Silverman after this reveal because she basically knew that their accusations had some legitimacy to them because he had asked to masturbate in front of her too, but she said nothing for a very long time. she couldn't even hide behind "i know Louis and he would never do something like that", but instead of supporting them she let them take years of poo poo from people.

chitoryu12 posted:

I’m not changing vocabulary that has no sexual charge in practical use because it was offensive 120 years ago. Nobody has used “hysterical” to refer to women or beliefs about ingrained characteristics in generations.

on the other hand maybe if someone says "hey don't use that word anymore" instead of pitching a fit you could just not use that word any more. get a thesaurus dude.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

"Hysterical" is most definitely used more about women than men.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Wreck It Ralph 2 is going to be awkward.

Well, it already was going to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Krankenstyle posted:

"Hysterical" is most definitely used more about women than men.

It's not an evil word and it can be used in a derogatory way if the intention is there.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

DC Murderverse posted:

Rebecca Corry and his other victims should be even more pissed off at Silverman after this reveal because she basically knew that their accusations had some legitimacy to them because he had asked to masturbate in front of her too, but she said nothing for a very long time. she couldn't even hide behind "i know Louis and he would never do something like that", but instead of supporting them she let them take years of poo poo from people.

on the other hand maybe if someone says "hey don't use that word anymore" instead of pitching a fit you could just not use that word any more. get a thesaurus dude.

Or maybe the person saying "hey don't use that word anymore" should grow the gently caress up and stop getting distraught over the use of a word in its modern context, instead of the outdated archaic roots it had that haven't had validity since before any of you were born.

Languages evolve and meanings change. If you can't accept that, you might as well start sending angry emails to JK Rowling over "Loony" Luna Lovegood, which similarly has its origins in women periodically going crazy due to the monthly lunar cycle. Using Crazy is similarly sexist, pretty much for the same reasons.

Be an adult and start evaluating what is said in the context that it is meant, and not in some stupid moral crusade because the language has moved on from its pre-20th Century meanings.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Tornhelm posted:

Or maybe the person saying "hey don't use that word anymore" should grow the gently caress up and stop getting distraught over the use of a word in its modern context, instead of the outdated archaic roots it had that haven't had validity since before any of you were born.

Languages evolve and meanings change. If you can't accept that, you might as well start sending angry emails to JK Rowling over "Loony" Luna Lovegood, which similarly has its origins in women periodically going crazy due to the monthly lunar cycle. Using Crazy is similarly sexist, pretty much for the same reasons.

Be an adult and start evaluating what is said in the context that it is meant, and not in some stupid moral crusade because the language has moved on from its pre-20th Century meanings.

definitely the right thread for this kind of meltdown

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

peer posted:

definitely the right thread for this kind of meltdown

It's as valid as the original post.

I spent my childhood being the target of racial profiling and slurs. The language has changed since then and those epithets no longer have the negative connotations they once had, so there's no longer any real reason for me to get upset over them. Having a tantrum over something that's no longer valid is stupid, especially when it hasn't been valid for over a hundred years.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i didnt get upset over lividliquid's post, so you cant either :colbert:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It's not loving hard. "Hysterical" if it's used to mean "really funny" is fine. "Hysterical" if used specifically to tell a woman to calm down is not fine.

I mean, how would movie reviewers describe a funny kids' movie about dinosaurs if they couldn't use the pun "prehysterical"?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

King Vidiot posted:

It's not loving hard. "Hysterical" if it's used to mean "really funny" is fine. "Hysterical" if used specifically to tell a woman to calm down is not fine.

I mean, how would movie reviewers describe a funny kids' movie about dinosaurs if they couldn't use the pun "prehysterical"?

If anything, it's extra progressive; who says women can't be funny when they can be hysterical?

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Rebecca Corry (one of Louis CK's victims) called out Silverman over her anecdote:
https://twitter.com/TheRebeccaCorry/status/1054471083967959040

Silverman responded:
https://twitter.com/SarahKSilverman/status/1054476111873228800

Corry responds again:

https://twitter.com/TheRebeccaCorry/status/1054478976805101568

I dunno. You could go around in circles trying to guess people's motives.

Personally, I don't see how Louis C.K. masturbating consensually in front of Silverman (a friend he presumably knew well even back then, making otherwise extremely creepy behavior more allowable) could at all be seen as excusing his behavior of masturbating in front of other women without their permission. It'd be like saying of someone "Well he had consensual sex with her, so that makes it less likely that he committed those rapes against other women!"

Sucrose fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Oct 27, 2018

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nearly gets career destroyed by credible evidence of chronic groupie abuse, starts going alt-right.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Oct 27, 2018

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
Also, as a woman, I think complaining about the word "hysterical" may be the dumbest thing I've read in this thread.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's fine if you're not personally offended but don't assume that makes it ok. I always find it hilarious when people go 'as a XXX' as if that automatically puts them in the right. Lots of women were against women's right to vote. Lots of moms and dads decide their children don't need to be vaccinated, probably causing the outbreak of measles.

Ninja edit: I know some of you will twist my words so: of course you can be right and still go 'as a XXX'. I'm saying that a lot of people use the term in contexts that make it pointless.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Word doesn't personally offend me, therefore word is inoffensive.

A take I see so often I don't even sigh anymore.

If you've never heard a passionate woman be shut down by a man calling her hysterical, I envy you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just think most people don’t know about it. I never knew that until this thread. It makes sense but I never put two and two together.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Hysterical meaning "hilarious" is a completely different usage than hysterical meaning "histrionic". Arguing that the former is problematic is some real galaxy brain poo poo.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CelticPredator posted:

I just think most people don’t know about it. I never knew that until this thread. It makes sense but I never put two and two together.
Most people don't know saying you got gypped has a racial component to it either, but Roma people sure do.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Hysterical meaning "hilarious" is a completely different usage than hysterical meaning "histrionic". Arguing that the former is problematic is some real galaxy brain poo poo.
I agree with this completely. Context matters.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

LividLiquid posted:

I agree with this completely. Context matters.

Except the very loving post you quoted when you said that was using "hysterical" to mean "funny".

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

King Vidiot posted:

Except the very loving post you quoted when you said that was using "hysterical" to mean "funny".
Sorry about that. I wasn't taking that person to task for that use of it. I should've been a lot clearer about that. That was really careless.

It was just a jumping-off point for something that's been bothering me.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Renoistic posted:

It's fine if you're not personally offended but don't assume that makes it ok. I always find it hilarious when people go 'as a XXX' as if that automatically puts them in the right. Lots of women were against women's right to vote. Lots of moms and dads decide their children don't need to be vaccinated, probably causing the outbreak of measles.

It doesn't, but still, as a member of the group that the word's supposed to be offensive to, my opinion of "I don't give a poo poo" is just as valid as someone else in the thread saying that they do care.

(Also I can't believe that you're arguing that the debate over whether a word is offensive or not is equivalent to obtaining equal rights or not putting your children in mortal danger)

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
https://twitter.com/annamerlan/status/1057275285131931653?s=21

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Sucrose posted:

Also, as a woman, I think complaining about the word "hysterical" may be the dumbest thing I've read in this thread.

:same:

It's come up a couple times and is dumber every time. I could understand it if someone said a woman was being a hysterical bitch but 9 times outta 10 someone is calling a situation hilarious.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

"If somebody says that you hurt them... you don't get to decide that you didn't." ... I guess that quote only applies if women hurt Louis C.K.'s precious manfeelings.

Like, Louis C.K. could almost be forgiven if he appeared to give a single poo poo about the fact that he made women feel scared and vulnerable and creeped out, but he doesn't seem to.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

esperterra posted:

:same:

It's come up a couple times and is dumber every time. I could understand it if someone said a woman was being a hysterical bitch but 9 times outta 10 someone is calling a situation hilarious.
It's really not complicated. It's not okay to call a woman hysterical. It is okay to call a joke hysterical.

I hosed up by launching the topic when somebody used the latter, thereby appearing to condemn the latter instead of the former. It was my bad.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LividLiquid posted:

It's really not complicated. It's not okay to call a woman hysterical. It is okay to call a joke hysterical.

I hosed up by launching the topic when somebody used the latter, thereby appearing to condemn the latter instead of the former. It was my bad.

My bad on that post too, I didn't see the stuff in between what I quoted and my post til I wad already omw to work lmao. We good!

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

King Vidiot posted:

"If somebody says that you hurt them... you don't get to decide that you didn't." ... I guess that quote only applies if women hurt Louis C.K.'s precious manfeelings.

Like, Louis C.K. could almost be forgiven if he appeared to give a single poo poo about the fact that he made women feel scared and vulnerable and creeped out, but he doesn't seem to.

Louis CK the stage character, a person fully aware of the feelings of others and the consequences of their actions, would have a loving field day tearing apart actual Louis CK, who is exactly the sort of rear end in a top hat the stage character used to skewer.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Some time in the last year Louis' brain spent a spell in a rotisserie, and there's no longer a prism for him to conceal his ugliness as art.

quote:

“I need to make jokes because I need an income,” Louis C.K. said. He told the crowd that he lost $35 million “in an hour” as a result of the original report on his misconduct.

“Hard things, you survive them or you don’t,” Louis C.K. said. “I think even hell you can survive. Hell is not that bad. I’ve been there.”

I don't see him ever being a big deal again if this is the kind of material he does. Old Louis seemed to realize he was pathetic, this Louis doesn't seem in on that joke.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
He must be looking at Jerry Seinfeld and thinking he's got it tough in comparison because he's only worth 25 million or so.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Probably also watching Ricky Gervais use how rich he is in his material and thinking he should try that angle

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Louis CK seems to have the Woody Allen thing of insincere self-depreciation that seems a common facade for sex offenders.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

In the least shocking turn of events ever, Abdellatif Kechiche (director of Blue is the Warmest Colour) accused of sexual assault.

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

I loved La Vie D'Adele, particularly for it's sex scenes and nudity, but loving hell, this indeed isn't that surprising given that the director claimed to have shot an additional 10 hours of unused footage of the actresses going at it for his personal fap collection.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Anonymous John posted:

I loved La Vie D'Adele, particularly for it's sex scenes and nudity, but loving hell, this indeed isn't that surprising given that the director claimed to have shot an additional 10 hours of unused footage of the actresses going at it for his personal fap collection.

quote:

Kechiche took home the Palme d'Or in 2013 for Blue Is the Warmest Color, a prize he shared with actresses Lea Seydoux and Adele Exarchopoulos, though the two later criticized the director for his harsh working conditions.

"Harsh working conditions" okay... holy poo poo the implications there.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

If he gave a poo poo he probably wouldn't have done it to begin with. Like, as has been brought up many times, this isn't a guy who just carelessly overstepped his boundaries, this is a guy who knew he was upsetting women with his gross behavior and bullied them into silence for years and years until it all caught up to him at once.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Anonymous John posted:

the movie is good in spite of those scenes not because of them imo. you could cut out 20 minutes no problem and end up with a better movie

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

R. Guyovich posted:

the movie is good in spite of those scenes not because of them imo. you could cut out 20 minutes no problem and end up with a better movie

Nah. Those scenes may be male gazey AF, but they really portray sex in such passion that it helps establish the strong bond between the two.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ya, agreed. The art is more important than the artists!!. Ugh whatever! If the artists are uncomfortable they can just leave, I prefer if they just stay quiet

at least till the film comes out so I can ignore everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Anonymous John posted:

Nah. Those scenes may be male gazey AF, but they really portray sex in such passion that it helps establish the strong bond between the two.

i think if actual lesbians get weirded out by a lesbian sex scene in a movie it's fair to say it could have been done better.