Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
How's Broforce on switch? Did they manage to implement the custom game maker into this version? The stream workshop custom games were the tits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah Metroid even super Metroid is kind of designed around the fact you kind of are hard to control so your gonna get hit.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

il serpente cosmico posted:

I just ordered a Hori left joycon. Did I make a good choice?

I am a fan of just modding a d-pad onto a real one but I've heard they're really good.

quote:

Why no rumble? I don't care about wireless because I use a pro controller in docked mode.

Makes it cheaper.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Heath posted:

Makes it cheaper.

Fair enough. I'm not a huge fan of the high-frequency rumble of the switch anyway, so I'll just turn it off when using portable mode. I kind of wish they made a delux set with a matching right joycon, wireless, and rumble

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The Ridley fight added to Samus Returns was an important marriage of the traditional series and the Prime series, that truly bridged the two into one continuity after some animosity between the studios

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Fair enough. I'm not a huge fan of the high-frequency rumble of the switch anyway, so I'll just turn it off when using portable mode. I kind of wish they made a delux set with a matching right joycon, wireless, and rumble

I got a basstop replacement set so I have two atomic purple Joycons with all the features for the cost of the shells. They're not perfect but if you're at all technically inclined it's a pretty easy swap.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I feel like big dumb baby but how to I kick to punt stuff off ledges in DarkSouls? I read the little text on the ground but I couldn’t it off on the test undead

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I feel like big dumb baby but how to I kick to punt stuff off ledges in DarkSouls? I read the little text on the ground but I couldn’t it off on the test undead

Tap forward/up and light attack simultaneously. Your stick should hit the edge just as you hit the attack button. It takes some practice. Try it on someone with a big shield.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Dr. VooDoo posted:

From a standstill, push forward (north on your movement stick assuming the camera is behind you) and light attack at the same time.

If you do this with heavy attack, you'll get a weapon specific lunging attack. The weapons movesets have a lot more depth than originally meets the eye. Try attacking immediately out of a Dodge roll, or tap a to backstep and then attack. Experiment!

il serpente cosmico fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 30, 2018

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

DLC Inc posted:

saying the Nightmare boss in Fusion was a "standout" is still blowing my mind. Big loving sprite that takes up half the screen and moves around in a bullshit pattern as you wind down into a war of attrition with it, taking unavoidable damage.

Fusion is a great game but kind of a bad "Metroid game" since it does away with most of the series staples i.e. a sense of isolation, freedom of exploration, optional items but it's still a nice twist on the formula with the Alien kick and "action movie" feel. SA-X is a cool plot device. Fusion was actually the first Metroid game I played so it's a nice gateway towards Super/Zero Mission.

Nightmare does not have any unavoidable damage. It's just a really difficult, well designed boss fight. It's one of the 5 or so most memorable boss fights in all of Metroid for a reason.

Also, calm down KingSlime.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Nightmare is cool just for the gravity effect.

Neat but doesn’t force you into a period we’re you can’t do anything

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So is Ubosa's Fury the only way to stun Ganon during the part of the boss fight when he gets super armor?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BigHead posted:

How's Broforce on switch? Did they manage to implement the custom game maker into this version? The stream workshop custom games were the tits.

It’s real good, friend!! Super stable performance 99% of the way through (that last boss is a bitch even for the ps4) and a great portable rendition of the greatest couch co op game of the decade, with all DLC included and it’s running on the new engine that just came out in June for PC and PS4!

Short version: buy it

There is no Broforce Maker like on PC. PS4 didn’t have it either.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Lord help me, I'm fixing to spend money on pinball.

Do they ever run sales on these bundles or is everything pretty set? Is there a recommended bundle or just whatever looks fun?

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Huxley posted:

Do they ever run sales on these bundles or is everything pretty set? Is there a recommended bundle or just whatever looks fun?

I've found that these are perfect for spending gold coins on because you might get them for 'free'

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

So is Ubosa's Fury the only way to stun Ganon during the part of the boss fight when he gets super armor?

Nope. Off the top of my head, you can also do a flurry rush or reflect his laser with your shield (or with Daruk's Protection). He briefly drops his shield during those attacks, and landing a single hit with it down makes it stay down so you can wallop him a bit more. With good timing you can even use a regular attack, or shoot him or detonate a bomb or something, during that brief window, without doing any kind of counterattack.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Two of the outer screws on my stupid joycon are stripped--one by my own doing but the other came that way--so now I can't replace the latch because I don't have an extractor bit small enough to get in there. I hate these fuckin things :mad:

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1057088223359320064

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Bongo Bill posted:

Nope. Off the top of my head, you can also do a flurry rush or reflect his laser with your shield (or with Daruk's Protection). He briefly drops his shield during those attacks, and landing a single hit with it down makes it stay down so you can wallop him a bit more. With good timing you can even use a regular attack, or shoot him or detonate a bomb or something, during that brief window, without doing any kind of counterattack.

I tried using bombs and deflecting his laser with my shield and it didn't work. :(

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

As long as they release more than 4 episodes as a first season let's party.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm only on board if they bring back horny wisecracking Link from the Super Show series.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Huxley posted:

The Pinball Megathread [Physical and Virtual] might be of interest if you're doing this, those folks know this stuff very well.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

I'm only on board if they bring back horny wisecracking Link from the Super Show series.

This. Lets bring back "Well excuuuuuuuuse me" again.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Make Link mute, but also like the first cartoon. I wanna see sign language "well excuuuuuuuuuuse me, princess"

Although, I'm not sure I trust that Wrap's article? They don't even mention an anonymous source on it being Zelda. It could be anything japanese.

And right now. In this very moment. Adi is the only person I could trust with producing Metroid.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

F ZERO RAMMERS tv show confirmed

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Leal posted:

This. Lets bring back "Well excuuuuuuuuse me" again.

This meme had unprecedented market penetration for its time

my MOM used to say this

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

BOTW was a very good game. It is the first game I played where the concept of a large overworld actually delivers on it's promise. It isn't an empty wasteland but rather one giant well constructed map to explore. Sort of like a modern version of what they did with a LTTP and Zelda 1.

Really shocking it took 10 years after open world gaming was mainstream for this to be achieved.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

The Castlevania show is really good so I’d actually be excited for this.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

We don't even know if it's Nintendo. But that guy produced a good adaptation, so I'd like to hear what's his next one.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Ignite Memories posted:

This meme had unprecedented market penetration for its time

my MOM used to say this

The Zelda cartoon didn't originate this, it was just Link talking like a late 80s dude

Tendril_Mullet
Jul 20, 2014

Hollow Knight is my favorite Metroid-style game, regardless of platform. It has devisive elements, but I personally found those elements enhanced my experience. The exploration is second to none, the combat is challenging and satisfying, particularly as you acquire more abilities, and the platforming challenges are also dope. It's the only pathfinder game that I've felt has nailed everything I want out of one of those games.

I think I’m a metroidvania junkie and for some reason I can’t get into this like I thought. I don’t like having to return to a bench every time I’ve explored an area just to make sure it’s saved on my map. It seems like I play more cautiously and am just looking desperately for a save point every time I clear some difficult platforming, which makes me backtrack every time I’ve done something I think is significant so I don’t forget where the hell it is.
:shrug:

empathe
Nov 9, 2003

>:|
Finally finished XBC2 and I don't think it was very good. It has way too many systems and Rex is a doofus.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Tendril_Mullet posted:

I think I’m a metroidvania junkie and for some reason I can’t get into this like I thought. I don’t like having to return to a bench every time I’ve explored an area just to make sure it’s saved on my map. It seems like I play more cautiously and am just looking desperately for a save point every time I clear some difficult platforming, which makes me backtrack every time I’ve done something I think is significant so I don’t forget where the hell it is.

It's always saving your map, it'll show where you were when you died on the map when you 'respawn' at the last bench

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Tendril_Mullet posted:

the game autosaves all the time and even if you die before you find a bench your map will be updated when you wake up on the last bench you rested on. just explore dude

e:fb

romanowski fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Oct 30, 2018

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

BOTW was a very good game. It is the first game I played where the concept of a large overworld actually delivers on it's promise. It isn't an empty wasteland but rather one giant well constructed map to explore. Sort of like a modern version of what they did with a LTTP and Zelda 1.

Really shocking it took 10 years after open world gaming was mainstream for this to be achieved.

also the idea of letting people mark their own destinations on the map and not giving them a huge checklist of icons to seek out

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Tendril_Mullet posted:

Save points don't work like they do in SOTN or Super Metroid where dying will reset all of your progress back to that point. Dying in Hollow Knight works more like Dark souls, i.e. the world state stays the same: you keep all of your map progress and items you've picked up (except for Geo, which stays with your shade), any bosses you've killed remain dead, any shortcuts you've found stay unlocked, etc. Playing the way you're describing is completely counterproductive, and it doesn't surprise me that you aren't enjoying yourself. Just keep pushing forward, and play mindfully. Remember that damaging enemies refills your mana, which will allow you to heal indefinitely (it's not like you're tied to estus flasks or anything). The only potential progress you'll lose is that you will physically be in a different place, and you need to go get your Geo back from your shade.

Just explore, dude!

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LethalGeek posted:

The Pinball Megathread [Physical and Virtual] might be of interest if you're doing this, those folks know this stuff very well.

It never occurred to me that there would be a pinball thread.

Please never die, SA.

Tendril_Mullet
Jul 20, 2014

Save points don't work like they do in SOTN or Super Metroid where dying will reset all of your progress back to that point. Dying in Hollow Knight works more like Dark souls, i.e. the world state stays the same: you keep all of your map progress and items you've picked up (except for Geo, which stays with your shade), any bosses you've killed remain dead, any shortcuts you've found stay unlocked, etc. Playing the way you're describing is completely counterproductive, and it doesn't surprise me that you aren't enjoying yourself. Just keep pushing forward, and play mindfully. Remember that damaging enemies refills your mana, which will allow you to heal indefinitely (it's not like you're tied to estus flasks or anything). The only potential progress you'll lose is that you will physically be in a different place, and you need to go get your Geo back from your shade.

Just explore, dude!

Thanks for this I’ll give it another go. Think I’ll just start a new game to acclimate myself to everything again cause it’s been a while.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:siren::australia::boonie: ATTN: Aus Goons :boonie::australia::siren:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAUNZ/status/1057059534508883973

Translates to $40 Mario Party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
that's really annoying for people who already bought mario party