Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I thought it was really weird how the heroes didn't do anything for 6 episodes and then had the big climactic confrontation that resolved (almost) everything. I was really expecting the confrontation with Dracula to be a fakeout, like he survives somehow and the heroes have to go on more adventures together and REALLY get him this time. You know, so they can have adventures. Where they go places and do things! Meet new characters and stuff! Instead the season really was just Dracula doing a suicide in slow motion, and that felt a little underwhelming. There was a loooot of time spent on the intrigue inside Dracula's court and the strategies of his armies considering that he and most of his generals died before any of that could actually be set in motion. At least Carmilla got to do something besides sit around, I guess.

Not a bad season, just don't think the first 6 episodes led into the last 2 very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Meinberg posted:

My favorite part was the climax of episode 6 when Sypha moves the castle and Carmilla doesn't know what the gently caress is going on and all of the carefully laid plans and intrigue on all sides collapses on our three doofus protagonists bumbling their way in. I almost wish that the season hadn't followed them up to that point, and focused entirely on the vampire court intrigue, then bust out everything falling apart, with an episode to catch up with Sypha and the boys.

That would have been a pretty bold and interesting choice. I think there's enough on the hero side to do that as two episodes, and I'd of gotten super frustrated waiting for them to show up, but having that castle moment come absolutely out of nowhere has quite a bit of novelty to it.

Seems like that exact approach would work well with one of the antagonists still left out there at the end of the season, particularly our favorite desert buddy Isaac .

I'm glad a S3 renewal is already in place, it seems like it got enough good buzz that they aren't waiting on viewing numbers to come in before making a decision, which is cool. There's kind of a giant hole in Netflix animation that's in that TV-MA area , even including anime, and if you narrow it to Netflix original animations they are very much few and far between. Glad to see that niche isn't being ignored, and it's hard to see it being a bad move to keep releasing Castlevania and Sabrina near Halloween as their timely big guns for the Halloween season.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Oct 29, 2018

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Can a horse really crush a human skull underfoot? Wouldn't the horse try not to step on it?

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Deliciouscesium posted:

This was a fun season. I still can't believe all of the references to other Castlevania games and even a nod to Dark Souls.

where was the nod to dark souls?

edit : just read it.

Good show,i like that this series ramped it up a bit more and had more fantastical elements,not really into castlevania but i do enjoy watching this.

Brazilianpeanutwar fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Oct 29, 2018

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phenotype posted:

Can a horse really crush a human skull underfoot? Wouldn't the horse try not to step on it?

What was the final headcount for that anyway? It sure happened a lot. :v:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I want Simon. Hes the Belmont who solos Dracula and then when he gets cursed, travels the land to resurrect Dracula so he can kick his rear end until he uncurses Simon.

Phenotype posted:

Horses are extremely stupid and yes, they can.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I got really bored with this series! Nothing happens for like 6 episodes and then an episode-long fight happens. I'm not against a slow-paced show or anything but at a certain point I don't need another scene of Carmilla scheming around the castle, or another scene establishing that Trevor's and Alucard's personalities are at odds, or another scene of Dracula sitting by his goddamn fire. The battle scenes were pretty well directed and animated but even then I wasn't really into them because only 2 of the vampire generals ever talked and neither of them were involved in the action. The background fanservicey stuff was admittedly pretty cool, but none of it really comes into play later or anything (drop that dragon skull on a monster, dangit).

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Godbrand was pretty funny. I particularly liked when all the vampires were arguing about whether they can't cross running water, and whether bathtubs and the ocean counts.

Godbrand: "How the hell does any of that make sense, I use boats all the time, I'm a loving viking"

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

KillerQueen posted:

I got really bored with this series! Nothing happens for like 6 episodes and then an episode-long fight happens. I'm not against a slow-paced show or anything but at a certain point I don't need another scene of Carmilla scheming around the castle, or another scene establishing that Trevor's and Alucard's personalities are at odds, or another scene of Dracula sitting by his goddamn fire. The battle scenes were pretty well directed and animated but even then I wasn't really into them because only 2 of the vampire generals ever talked and neither of them were involved in the action. The background fanservicey stuff was admittedly pretty cool, but none of it really comes into play later or anything (drop that dragon skull on a monster, dangit).

:same: honestly.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I enjoyed it but I think the middle was just a bit slow. Needed less time in the library and a few more action setpieces and it would have been :rms:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I wish that Sypha and Trevor had made it to Dracula and Alucard in time to help during round 2 of the final fight. End it the same way, if you like, but they could have gotten another fighty bit or two in between all the vamp on vamp pounding. The combat scenes where they're all fighting together were the best ones, I think.

Agreed that it got a little bit slow in the middle, but I did like all the backstory and bickering between Dracula's lieutenants. I didn't know it drew from the games as much as it does. Hector is apparently a protagonist of one of the games, and according to the wiki "A former Devil Forgemaster who betrayed Dracula three years ago, allowing his fall by the hand of Trevor Belmont." And apparently the game kicks off when Isaac kills his wife to draw him out.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Phenotype posted:

I wish that Sypha and Trevor had made it to Dracula and Alucard in time to help during round 2 of the final fight. End it the same way, if you like, but they could have gotten another fighty bit or two in between all the vamp on vamp pounding. The combat scenes where they're all fighting together were the best ones, I think.

Agreed that it got a little bit slow in the middle, but I did like all the backstory and bickering between Dracula's lieutenants. I didn't know it drew from the games as much as it does. Hector is apparently a protagonist of one of the games, and according to the wiki "A former Devil Forgemaster who betrayed Dracula three years ago, allowing his fall by the hand of Trevor Belmont." And apparently the game kicks off when Isaac kills his wife to draw him out.

Weirdly, that could still kind of work if Isaac takes revenge on Carmilla and Hector has to do some growing up and live as an actual member of the human race for a while.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I will say this show makes me want to emulate the poo poo out of some old Castlevania games.

Some positives: I really liked Godbrand and Stormare’s voice work was on point. Him being creeped out by Isaac self-flagellating was one of my favorite scenes. Carmilla giving everyone the business at certain points was kinda fun, even if some of her scenes got repetitive. The action scenes were pretty tight and I never lost track of characters, which I sometimes have trouble with. I just think the whole thing needs better pacing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Leon also isnt just a made up Belmont either nor is the name they use to refer to Trevors upgraded whip. The show definitely used elements from the whole franchise, even the bad games.

Now do the fun show for children about goofy undead adventures against a demon from beyond space and time with Kid Dracula

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Galamoth could be a cool villain for a Castlevania All-Stars finale. Get all the Belmonts and their supporting casts together for the last season and they have to take him down.

EDIT: All Belmonts vs. Dai-Galamoth

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I can see them doing Curse of Darkness' plot next, since it's all about the conflict between Hector and Isaac, and Trevor had a role to play in it too. It would also be a great opportunity to introduce Death as a human in disguise (CoD spoiler). The characters are very different in the game, but the basic plot would work with some tweaks.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah Curse of Darkness feels like the next one up even if I want Simon.

Ideally wed get like 10 seasons and do the war of 1999 but lets all be real with each other

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I actually dug the pacing in the middle. It gave room for the characters to breathe, which I feel paid off well in the climax. I do wish it was less repetitive and have some focus to the other court vamps.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Let's just be grateful they didn't do that awful 3D animation being passed off as 2D animation a lot of studios are doing now.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just wish we got to see Godbrand build a boat out of something/someone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Spermando posted:

I can see them doing Curse of Darkness' plot next, since it's all about the conflict between Hector and Isaac, and Trevor had a role to play in it too. It would also be a great opportunity to introduce Death as a human in disguise (CoD spoiler). The characters are very different in the game, but the basic plot would work with some tweaks.

Yeah, after Grant, that guy's absence was the most keenly felt.

Honestly the biggest thing I feel is missing from the show so far, and one of the neatest things in the games, is that Dracula's castle isn't just his house or where his vampire troops live. In the games, every single evil mythological creature you can ever imagine takes refuge there and joins his army. The show keeps vaguely gesturing at that concept, but then he just sends vampires and very generic looking demons (sorry, night fiends) to do his bidding. I kinda wanted the castle to end up stuffed to the gills with medusas, fishmen, golems, mad scientists, chimeras, werewolves, demons, etc. I mean I guess it could still happen, but it doesn't seem like telling that story is something they're very interested in doing.

Elderbean posted:

Let's just be grateful they didn't do that awful 3D animation being passed off as 2D animation a lot of studios are doing now.

They did that a bunch of times, they were just careful to do it briefly and in darkness. They also slowed the frame rate way the gently caress down to save on animation in a lot of places.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Castlevania season 3, or Alucard’s Home for Reformed Murder Monsters.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SirSamVimes posted:

I just wish we got to see Godbrand build a boat out of something/someone.

Or at least unpimp something

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really liked the meditative pace of this season. It gave us time to get to know all the characters, and the political intrigue within the vampire armies was something I didn't expect. If you watch it all together as a roughly 3 hour movie, it's a really interesting character study. I get why some people wouldn't want that from a high action game adaptation, but I think the way they did it lends itself to the story really well.

I loved all the little nods to games too. One in particular I caught was the reference to the Skeledragon hanging from the Belmont library ceiling. One thing I'd really love to see in future seasons is use of the different colored crystal orbs. They've been such a big part of the games that it would be a shame to never introduce them as magical artifacts in some way.

NutritiousSnack posted:

Yeah, I think if we're going by a 6-7 season prestige deal it would be: Castlevania 3/Curse of Darkness 1-3, Rondo of Blood/Symphony of the Night 4-5, and then Aria and Dawn 6-7
I don't see them skipping Simon, even if it's just for one season. The original is still the most recognizable and has the most versions/remakes, and CV2 is too good a story to pass up. Start the season with Simon killing a resurrected Dracula for 1-2 episodes to cover CV1, have ol' Vlad put a curse on Simon during the fight, then the rest of the season can be Simon's Quest as he tries to track down Dracula's remains before his wound kills him.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Have some townsfolk give some bullshit advice and then get Sypha to :goonsay: with her cluebook going "UM ACTUALLY ACCORDING TO THIS TOME THAT'S NOT TRUE AND YOURE ALL A BUNCH OF LIARS"

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

Yeah Curse of Darkness feels like the next one up even if I want Simon.

Ideally wed get like 10 seasons and do the war of 1999 but lets all be real with each other

I feel like Curse of Darkness and SotN are both totally possible. A movie of the original Castlevania could also probably work, though I don't think it could support a full season of TV; there's not really enough story there for it to be more than basically a 90-minute action sequence. Simon's Quest is doable but they'd have to flesh out a loving lot, even compared to Dracula's Curse.

e: also, iirc, by the time of Simon's Quest Sypha would be like a hundred goddamn years old

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

e: also, iirc, by the time of Simon's Quest Sypha would be like a hundred goddamn years old

Older Castlevania 1 takes place 100 years after Castlevania 3.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I also love how Sypha is basically reeling from the high of adventure by the end. She needs another hit.

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Sypha went from a little annoying to complete badass with the castle battle scene.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Given that the team are clearly Dark Souls fans, I did wonder if Sypha's little hovering icicles in the hallway fight were inspired by Homing Soulmass.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

MonsterEnvy posted:

Older Castlevania 1 takes place 100 years after Castlevania 3.

yeah the only way that cluebook/lying townspeople thing could work is if Simon is buddies with Ghost Sypha

and... now that I think about it that could work, actually, good guys coming back as ghosts to help the protag is a thing in CV already iirc

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Just thought of something: is the sword Alucard uses supposed to be the sword familiar?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

I don't see them skipping Simon, even if it's just for one season. The original is still the most recognizable and has the most versions/remakes, and CV2 is too good a story to pass up. Start the season with Simon killing a resurrected Dracula for 1-2 episodes to cover CV1, have ol' Vlad put a curse on Simon during the fight, then the rest of the season can be Simon's Quest as he tries to track down Dracula's remains before his wound kills him.

Yeah, on retrospect I gleaned that. It's just with the heavy focus on Dracula and Alucard, those are the series you have to adapt and there isn't room for infinite seasons. I guess they could also Rando and SoTN into one, or more importantly just skip over Dawn of Sorrow and just do Aria, it was the better of the two anyway.

It's just that Curse has way, way more of a premise to work with than OG Castlevania and even that isn't too much.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did they ever say why they chose 3 to adapt in particular?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Probably because Alucard is a compelling idea and having a party of characters makes for a more engaging story than Simon's solo adventure.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I love Alucards ridiculously long sword, it moves so gracefully.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DoctorWhat posted:

Probably because Alucard is a compelling idea and having a party of characters makes for a more engaging story than Simon's solo adventure.

Yeah but you could probably retool SotN or three or four other games to do that. It's not like there's Deepest Lore in the nes games here or anything the plot fits on a paragraph on a tiny manual. It's an interesting choice!

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
I wonder if they're planning to do a weird combination of Curse and Symphony considering their somewhat similar plots. Since they changed Devil Forgemasters from forging actual sentient demonweapons into straight up necromancers, I could see Isaac pulling double duty in place of a certain other necromancer. Maybe he'll take a clever alias or something.

Also when Trevor found something in a wall (turned out to be the Morning Star) I thought to myself it better not be a drat pork chop.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

my only complaint is they should have called the morning star the vampire killer

yes i know the first is canonically correct but the latter is more iconic dammit!!

also while i do like the pace of the show, i feel the protag trio don't exactly do much for the first six episodes. i really do like the library in belmont hold, just i dunno, i feel like they spend a long rear end time down there? unsure what i'd have them do instead

and i think the epilogue was a bit long........ but! otherwise i loved the whole season. some great action, interesting characters. looking forward to whatever season 3 brings (god give us time jump + richter belmont please)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also 3 is the earliest game in the timeline that involves Dracula.