Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Blind Rasputin posted:

The swamps down south are monstrous and beautiful.

I felt really bad seeing those people i killed in the swamp who halfway sink into the mud. Left me really creeeped out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Beginning of Chapter 5 spoiler: Well.. poo poo. I most certainly was not expecting this little area.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

lol you can pay a rich gently caress $100 to hand over a stolen brooch then knock him out and loot your money (there's no reason to do this.)

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
la la la I sure hope a train doesn't show UPPPP gently caress

https://i.imgur.com/c5sDKyl.gifv

RIP Horse 1

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
How many people actually pay for treasure maps. Because you can just take em with no consequences beyomd the dude bitching which is super funny.

Also ran into semi auto shotgun hut and left the lady tied up in the basement bitching about how her son's would get me. On the way out Arthur made a quip about enjoying your time down there which made me laugh.

Edit:^^^ clips like that are why I hitch my horse every single time I'm near a railroad just in case.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hobo Clown posted:

I only punched Mr Thomas a couple times and it's because it was my only option. I didn't hurt him past that and when I got back to the camp I chewed out the German guy for specifically targeting desperate people and to not do it anymore. Not sure if that always happens.
I was so poo poo at punching I almost died. Then when it got to the grapple I punched them once, left to get a drink.

Came back, threw my second punch. STOP IT! HE'S HAD ENOUGH! OH LORDY LORD!

I still prefer to try to be decent most of the time. My default most games is to be a kleptomaniac who is too much of a baby to kill innocents for sweet loot. (Quest For Glory "I'm a Paladin! Technically. I have the worst magic sword in all the land because I can't stop robbing little old ladies and banks" runs comes to mind)

Plus a lot of the writing is in this game is waaaaaay better than I'd have ever expected.

But how desperate games remain to hold a gun to your head and force you to take action they can wag their finger at you later about, makes real hard to feel the intended guilt.

"Wow, this is getting out of hand. I think I'll just leave-"
Get in there and start punching or we send you back to the checkpoint.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Oct 30, 2018

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

JBP posted:

There is a post office worker that will give you stage coach tips. Gang members in camp will take you out rustling and robbing, but I think they only give you those options every now and then or maybe in the afternoon?

Sorry I mean I got a tip, but I’m wondering if there’s a way to reference it cuz I forgot. I swear I saw it somehwhere...

You’d think Arthur would write that kind of thing in his journal instead of sketching flowers but he is just dumb as all get out

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Starks posted:

Sorry I mean I got a tip, but I’m wondering if there’s a way to reference it cuz I forgot. I swear I saw it somehwhere...

You’d think Arthur would write that kind of thing in his journal instead of sketching flowers but he is just dumb as all get out

If you press left on the dpad there is a log of things like requests and robbery locations.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
drat, me and that horse had been through a lot

https://i.imgur.com/0D3MJeT.gifv

https://i.imgur.com/jPG6TpA.gifv

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Also I was really broke cuz I just paid a bounty and I came across the treasure hunter outside strawberry. I robbed him to get the map and it was a massive drop in honour, like way more than killing horses and stagecoaches and what not.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

If you press left on the dpad there is a log of things like requests and robbery locations.

Yesss thank you I knew I saw it somewhere

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Starks posted:

Tap left on the D-Pad to get your missions and fetch quest info. If you hold left on the D-pad you get the journal.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I missed this where is it?

It's right next to the tree you find the farmhand's money in during the first collection mission.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I've found that murdering random people near rivers and cliffs, looting them, then tossing their bodies into said rivers/canyons is the best way to avoid suspicion. I just knife everyone and move on.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I know this is said of Rockstar games for at least a few months after they release but it really is astounding the number of details in it that just floor you.

Was finishing up a mission outside St. Denis and noticed a big dark cloud and thought "that looks like a storm" and sure as poo poo it moved in, started with wind and some light rain and really got storming hard when the cloud was overhead. The entire atmosphere changes like it actually does if you're outside as a storm moves in. Big thunderclap and the power went out in the area I was in. I actually felt compelled to get inside.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’m enjoying the game but don’t really feel like there’s a narrative drive so far other than “help out the camp”. I hope this changes.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I feel dumb even having to ask this. BUt is there a way to pull the reigns on the horse to get it to stop with it awkwardly spinning around?

Also,, I really wish dead eye slowly regenerated. It’s dumb that it’s entirely based on consumables.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Slim Killington posted:

I know this is said of Rockstar games for at least a few months after they release but it really is astounding the number of details in it that just floor you.

Was finishing up a mission outside St. Denis and noticed a big dark cloud and thought "that looks like a storm" and sure as poo poo it moved in, started with wind and some light rain and really got storming hard when the cloud was overhead. The entire atmosphere changes like it actually does if you're outside as a storm moves in. Big thunderclap and the power went out in the area I was in. I actually felt compelled to get inside.

Have you looked at the interiors of buildings in St.Denis. Its nuts how detailed and individualized each building is.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

I feel dumb even having to ask this. BUt is there a way to pull the reigns on the horse to get it to stop with it awkwardly spinning around?

Also,, I really wish dead eye slowly regenerated. It’s dumb that it’s entirely based on consumables.

It does if your core isn't depleted

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

veni veni veni posted:

R1+X lets you do a skidding stop once your horse is at bonding level 3.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ravenkult posted:

It does if your core isn't depleted

Ahhh.

Also I’m an idiot and figured out the answer to my first question by looking in the menu lol.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

goferchan posted:

R1+X lets you do a skidding stop once your horse is at bonding level 3.

My deadliest move is powersliding my war horse into other horses and people.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DescriptiveCloseKitten-mobile.mp4

If i can walk around drinking coffee why cant i walk around smoking my cigar damnit!!!!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh hey what’s that over there? Probably nothing. Oh wait it’s a...taxidermy gorilla in a box wtf?

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

Oh hey what’s that over there? Probably nothing. Oh wait it’s a...taxidermy gorilla in a box wtf?

I just found this too and have yet to piece this all together :iiam:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 39 days!
I was out robbing people on horseback and came across a man shoeing his horse off the side of the road. I aimed my gun at him, and he understandably freaked out...and so did his horse, who proceeded to kill its' owner by kicking him square in the head, before running off into the distance. With Arthur, I imagine, just being all :stare: the entire time.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I've found my new favorite thing to do. Follow people around town and say absolutely nothing until they pick a fight with you then knock them out. I beat up the coonskin hat guy in Valentine with no consequences just by standing next to him at the bar, now I have a cool new hat

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What even is the point of pressing or holding X when cooking or crafting? I feel vibration.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

the not-louisiana area is dead on, i hope they have a salt marsh/barrier island area so i can relieve my childhood, except better because there are no mosquitos or existential dread at knowing that staying in the town where all my friends are would involve living in poverty due to a stagnant economy

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Is this game glitchy for anyone? I found a schofield in a green box by robbing the doctor in valentine and a few hours later died. When I restarted the checkpoint in the middle of a shoot-12-dudes-from-wagon mission, I only had the cattleman revolver and sawn off. And somehow only the varmint and bow for long arms even though i started the mission with a shotgun and repeater. Which sucks, because I tricked out the schofield.

I died on another mission, and when it respawned I couldn’t even open the inventory when menu, and so died again.

Also I don’t think the mask does anything, I get bounties and dead or alive warrants immediately with or without it, anytime I commit a crime.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

red19fire posted:

Is this game glitchy for anyone? I found a schofield in a green box by robbing the doctor in valentine and a few hours later died. When I restarted the checkpoint in the middle of a shoot-12-dudes-from-wagon mission, I only had the cattleman revolver and sawn off. And somehow only the varmint and bow for long arms even though i started the mission with a shotgun and repeater. Which sucks, because I tricked out the schofield.

I died on another mission, and when it respawned I couldn’t even open the inventory when menu, and so died again.

Also I don’t think the mask does anything, I get bounties and dead or alive warrants immediately with or without it, anytime I commit a crime.

Any mission where the game gives me a specific loadout seems to glitch my gun loadout post-mission. Luckily reloading fixes it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I was out robbing people on horseback and came across a man shoeing his horse off the side of the road. I aimed my gun at him, and he understandably freaked out...and so did his horse, who proceeded to kill its' owner by kicking him square in the head, before running off into the distance. With Arthur, I imagine, just being all :stare: the entire time.

The event was staged. Rockstar lied. Life is a punishment and we are all guilty.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

red19fire posted:

Wearing a mask I usually get the "warning" notification for a bit before it switches over to a bounty on Arthur. If I clear out or get rid of the witness this goes away. If you hang around an area and there are multiple witnesses you'll get identified regardless of mask though. Also if you were wearing a mask in a crime, there is a chance you can talk your way out of it if you speak to the lawmen before they open fire.

Edit: To surrender you need to be on foot and have your weapons holstered. If you've got a gun drawn they'll start shooting straight away.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Why is the random combat literally 10 times harder than the story stuff? Like, I’m trying to take out this enemy hideout and it just seems ridiculously unreasonably hard.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

FallenGod posted:

Any mission where the game gives me a specific loadout seems to glitch my gun loadout post-mission. Luckily reloading fixes it.

I also somehow managed to kill the legendary bear, but then I died to some bullshit and lost the pelt. Is it permanently gone, or can I rehunt it? There was a notification about a trapper or fence having it, but it disappeared too fast.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Why is the random combat literally 10 times harder than the story stuff? Like, I’m trying to take out this enemy hideout and it just seems ridiculously unreasonably hard.

because most of the time in the story missions you have ai dudes helping you

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Friendly Fire posted:

Wearing a mask I usually get the "warning" notification for a bit before it switches over to a bounty on Arthur. If I clear out or get rid of the witness this goes away. If you hang around an area and there are multiple witnesses you'll get identified regardless of mask though. Also if you were wearing a mask in a crime, there is a chance you can talk your way out of it if you speak to the lawmen before they open fire.

Edit: To surrender you need to be on foot and have your weapons holstered. If you've got a gun drawn they'll start shooting straight away.

I feel like the mask also makes your bounty slightly lower overall.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Agean90 posted:

the not-louisiana area is dead on, i hope they have a salt marsh/barrier island area so i can relieve my childhood, except better because there are no mosquitos or existential dread at knowing that staying in the town where all my friends are would involve living in poverty due to a stagnant economy

I got that same feel but from the depressing mining towns in not-west virginia instead

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Agean90 posted:

because most of the time in the story missions you have ai dudes helping you

It's too bad you can't recruit dudes to ride with you, or plan heists yourself. you know, like in that other rockstar game.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

red19fire posted:

I also somehow managed to kill the legendary bear, but then I died to some bullshit and lost the pelt. Is it permanently gone, or can I rehunt it? There was a notification about a trapper or fence having it, but it disappeared too fast.

You've permanently missed out on the money for selling it but the parts used for crafting stuff have gone straight to the inventories of the Trapper and the Fence so you can still get all the unique gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Deified Data posted:

It's right next to the tree you find the farmhand's money in during the first collection mission.

Hahahaha they all have new shoes on lol