Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Have you built a butcher station?

Did you make sure rhino was one of the accepted carcasses on the "butcher animals" work order?

Did you make sure that the rhino had not started to decompose?

Did you have colonists that were assigned to cooking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Stereotype posted:

One question though, if an animal dies of natural causes, is there any way to butcher it? I had a rhino die of a heart attack and permitted my pawns to go grab it, but they can't seem to do anything with it. Now there is just a giant corpse in my base.

this is kind of a "is your monitor on" post and i'm sorry for that but butchering tends to be pretty straightforward so i can't think of too many gotchas with it.

1) make sure the corpse is unforbidden
2) make sure the butcher table has a job that a pawn can access (e.g., it's something like "do forever")
3) make sure a pawn is assigned to the cooking job (which is what butchering uses)
4) if all else fails, select a pawn assigned to cooking and right click the butcher table to prioritize the job (if you can't it'll tell you why)

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Stereotype posted:

Hey I just downloaded this and played it once, which was super fun. Everyone died, but it was a good first story. It's basically dwarf fortress except not as horrifically confusing and an actual goal.

One question though, if an animal dies of natural causes, is there any way to butcher it? I had a rhino die of a heart attack and permitted my pawns to go grab it, but they can't seem to do anything with it. Now there is just a giant corpse in my base.

For them to butcher it:

1) It can't be spoiled. If it's even 1 second over the 'rotted' time limit they won't touch it

2) You have to have a butcher table, a bill for butchering that is active and someone with the cook work placement activated.

If you only have one guy set to be a cook he might be too busy actually cooking to do the butchering.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

HelloSailorSign posted:

Have you built a butcher station?
Yup, I even built one right next to it in case they didn't want to walk through a door or something

quote:

Did you make sure rhino was one of the accepted carcasses on the "butcher animals" work order?

Yup! I checked all the boxes, Rhino is definitely checked

quote:

Did you have colonists that were assigned to cooking?
Yup, plus I can butcher things I hunted

quote:

Did you make sure that the rhino had not started to decompose?

Okay this one I'm not sure. When does it start decomposing? It probably had been out there for a day, so I bet it was at least starting to rot. It's a skeleton now so I'm too late to see. If I uncheck "Allow Fresh" at the butcher's station will that allow them to butcher even super decomposed stuff like skeletons?

Also is there a way to bury a Rhino skeleton, or do I have to build the corpse furnace?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Also can I do bone carvings like in Dwarf Fortress? Or set it up as a giant statue?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Stereotype posted:

Also is there a way to bury a Rhino skeleton, or do I have to build the corpse furnace?

just make a stockpile outside of the base that only accepts rotten animal corpses and set the stockpile as critical. that'll get it off of your lawn and it'll rot to dust from being unroofed eventually.

Stereotype posted:

Also can I do bone carvings like in Dwarf Fortress? Or set it up as a giant statue?

no

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Coolguye posted:

just make a stockpile outside of the base that only accepts rotten animal corpses and set the stockpile as critical. that'll get it off of your lawn and it'll rot to dust from being unroofed eventually.
Ah yeah that's simple

quote:

no

Literally unplayable

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Stereotype posted:

Literally unplayable

Get the bone mod and make yourself a bone throne

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
how do i get my colonists to put meals in the freezer and not just drop them on the floor

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Joseance posted:

how do i get my colonists to put meals in the freezer and not just drop them on the floor

after cooking them? make sure that the job instructs them to "take to best stockpile" (this is the default so it should be like this already) and ensure that the freezer is designated as the stockpile for that sort of item.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Joseance posted:

Make sure you set up a stockpile zone in your freezer with the appropriate meal chosen and enough space. You'll probably also have to change the priority to something other than normal to make sure they bring it in there.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Two of my peeps fell in love and just got married. In the middle of winter outside. That's some commitment. :love:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Philthy posted:

Two of my peeps fell in love and just got married. In the middle of winter outside. That's some commitment. :love:

So welcome to your new hell of the other one getting a lover and the other one developing a substance abuse problem and/or becoming destructive lunatic who decides to destroy your energy plant during a raid to kill all power to your base defences.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Joseance posted:

Side note, this is generally the thing you want to do, because you generally want your skilled colonists to continue doing the skill they're useful at, while your unskilled colonists or hauling animals are the ones that should be dragging things everywhere.

I'm really excited for all the new people to Rimworld. Just remember to keep your doors closed and you'll be fine.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah, the last time someone got married in my colony the husband got shunted to death by a gaggle of killer pigs the next day while everyone looked on in horror when he wasn't able to make it in the panic room fast enough. Poor Karl.. His frailty was his undoing :smith:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Der Kyhe posted:

So welcome to your new hell of the other one getting a lover and the other one developing a substance abuse problem and/or becoming destructive lunatic who decides to destroy your energy plant during a raid to kill all power to your base defences.

The third wheel got addicted to wake up already. But she's fine now.

No really, she's fine.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I guess sieges don't get additional shells dropped in anymore? I sent my dude down to take potshots at them and suddenly they decided to attack the base, overtaking him with a jogger, and then deciding to just kidnap him and run. No mood hit for his wife yet though, just shows him as kidnapped. Is there a way to go get him back, or do I have to just hope for an event?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Eltoasto posted:

I guess sieges don't get additional shells dropped in anymore? I sent my dude down to take potshots at them and suddenly they decided to attack the base, overtaking him with a jogger, and then deciding to just kidnap him and run. No mood hit for his wife yet though, just shows him as kidnapped. Is there a way to go get him back, or do I have to just hope for an event?

You will get a ransom event at some point. No idea how the 1.0 implements the exchange of silver, though. It used to be that the kidnappers demanded a % of your silver at the moment, and it needed to be within the trade beacon distance.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Got the game recently. Here is the carcass of my first colony (barring some false starts). After the last two combat-capable colonists were dragged away by raiders, all that remained was one non-violent recent recruit, with no construction skill to repair the failing air conditioning apparatus, wandering around the freezer in an Alzheimer's-induced daze.

Good story, though. Starting on Classic Rough worked out well.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It looks pretty! You've got more aesthetic sense than most Rimworld players, haha.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

Got the game recently. Here is the carcass of my first colony (barring some false starts). After the last two combat-capable colonists were dragged away by raiders, all that remained was one non-violent recent recruit, with no construction skill to repair the failing air conditioning apparatus, wandering around the freezer in an Alzheimer's-induced daze.

Good story, though. Starting on Classic Rough worked out well.

For future reference, you should start building the city walls after you hit 5th colonist. Nothing fancy, keep your core base tight and connect the building walls to each other, that will suffice at first stage to force the enemies to approach from some defensible direction in general. Or if they have sappers funnel them to one opening.

Also, you should keep the luxurities (and the colony wealth) at minimum until you hit hunting rifles/shotguns/1st tier turrets -stage. If you make a pool table out of marble or really nice art pieces, someone will waltz in and try to steal them.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
I'd do it even sooner. Just build a one-tile-wide wooden palisade encircling your base, leaving a space open for a killbox. Wood is usually easy to get, you can throw the wall up quick and most enemies will go around rather than try to bash them down. You should build doors (preferably with airlocks) at the four cardinal directions to make going in/out easier on your guys, but make sure there's a direct path to your base that leads through your killzone. This is your "main entrance", where the turrets and sandbags go.

Once you've got more people, you can worry about cutting stone blocks and building a second wall of stone outside of the first wall. Now the stone wall is your front line, and the wooden wall your fallback position. For added kill potential, make the entrance to the outer ring of defense on the other side of the base from the entrance to the inner ring. In-between the outer and inner layer is where you lay your mines.

Going Full Constantinople and having three walls is probably unnecessary.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Going Full Constantinople and having three walls is probably unnecessary.

So is carving people into hats, but when have we ever concerned ourselves with "necessity?"

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

How do colonists prioritize clothing / armour when set to “Anything”? I’ve got some personally fine steel plate armour lying in my stockpile, just curious why they’re not touching it.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I think they focus on temperature protection over physical protection, so if you're in a biome where you get winters they'll be more worried about frostbite (or heatstroke, in the summer) than catching a bullet.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

after cooking them? make sure that the job instructs them to "take to best stockpile" (this is the default so it should be like this already) and ensure that the freezer is designated as the stockpile for that sort of item.

Its designated as the stockpile for meals and nothing else but thye won't use it

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I'm not sure if it works for meals, but usually if I notice something not getting hauled I can right click the item with a colonist selected and the option for "Prioritize hauling" will be greyed out and say something like "No assigned stockpile" or whatever the issue is. Maybe give that a try? Is it possible you don't have anyone with a high priority for hauling so stuff just lays around unless you force them to do it?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Joseance posted:

Its designated as the stockpile for meals and nothing else but thye won't use it

What priority is the stockpile set to? Also, double check what it's set to accept, I've misclicked stockpile settings before and wondered why my colonists were hauling poo poo to the wrong places.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It looks pretty! You've got more aesthetic sense than most Rimworld players, haha.

Thansk! I didn't have any sort of plan when I started and just sort of threw buildings up wherever looked about right, and then figured out what could go in the spaces later. Which kinda looks more natural, I think, than planning everything out to the letter right away.

Der Kyhe posted:

For future reference, you should start building the city walls after you hit 5th colonist. Nothing fancy, keep your core base tight and connect the building walls to each other, that will suffice at first stage to force the enemies to approach from some defensible direction in general. Or if they have sappers funnel them to one opening.

Also, you should keep the luxurities (and the colony wealth) at minimum until you hit hunting rifles/shotguns/1st tier turrets -stage. If you make a pool table out of marble or really nice art pieces, someone will waltz in and try to steal them.

It's not clear in the screenshot but I'm in a boxed in valley with only three narrow entrances (after walling off some caves), each of which is walled up with steel like the one on the left there. As it turns out, a bunch of sandbags outside the door does not a defence make, plus it took forever to reach the other entrances when raiders arrived. Learning experience.

Dr Snofeld fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Oct 29, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

What priority is the stockpile set to? Also, double check what it's set to accept, I've misclicked stockpile settings before and wondered why my colonists were hauling poo poo to the wrong places.

it was critical and i'd made sure it was just meals. Restarted the game though and they're using it now

Herb Dington
Oct 6, 2013

explosivo posted:

TOO MUCH CORN

Quick mafs :eng101:

1 stack of corn = 75 = 7.5 simple meals
1 stack of simple meals = 10

Get that cook workin overtime and compress the corn in your freezer. Extra corn can keep for a couple seasons, and huge freezers are overrated!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Philthy posted:

Man, the mods for this game are insane. So many good ones that make ease of life changes. You gotta wonder how the devs react to these. Do they see the good ones and add them into the game proper or do they simply ignore it because the mod exists so why bother?

Rainbeau and I think fluffy had a lot of their stuff added to the game by Tynan.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Two season long Toxic Fallout
Beginning on the 1st day of Spring.
While playing on Boreal Forest with 20 days of growing season.
At the beginning of first year.
With Naked Brutality start.
gently caress off Randy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
There really should be a warmup for some of the Game Over type incidents, but at least you can reload.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

So I'm in starting my third year, and I've built some basic defenses for my colony, but I'm wondering where to go from here, because I'm acquiring more wealth and attracting more raiders. I have granite and limestone walls surrounding my colony, and have exits only at one point on the west side, which is next to a 15-space long hallway that alternates traps and sandbags. When it comes to making a better defenses, what should I be doing? I've seen people mention kill boxes and panic rooms, but I don't exactly know what those are and how to make them. Is there a good guide, or doesn't anyone have any favorite tips? Thanks.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Catalina posted:

So I'm in starting my third year, and I've built some basic defenses for my colony, but I'm wondering where to go from here, because I'm acquiring more wealth and attracting more raiders. I have granite and limestone walls surrounding my colony, and have exits only at one point on the west side, which is next to a 15-space long hallway that alternates traps and sandbags. When it comes to making a better defenses, what should I be doing? I've seen people mention kill boxes and panic rooms, but I don't exactly know what those are and how to make them. Is there a good guide, or doesn't anyone have any favorite tips? Thanks.

Standard raiders will take the path of least resistance into your base, so you can wall off 3/4 of your base (add doors for your own guys to get through on the 3 sides without openings) and make one maze-like entrance into your base (preferably littered with spike traps) that the raiders will have to snake through to get into your base. Then wherever you make the hallway o' traps end, surround that area with sandbags and walls for your guys to hang out at, basically making a firing range for any of those lucky enough to make it the whole way through. If you google image search rimworld kill box you'll find some real good examples.

As for the panic room, I'm not sure if this is a thing a lot of people do or not but I basically made a real cushy rec room that I have an area created for that I call my panic room that I can restrict my colonists to in the event that there's a manhunter pack I can't fight head on. I am using the refrigerator mod, so putting a 2x2 freezer in there filled with emergency food to hold people over while they're stuck in there prevents anyone from going too crazy and breaking out while waiting for the rabid turtles to disperse.

Edit: I used a combination of these two examples to get my killbox set up. Basically made a winding hallway like in image 2, then at the opening inside my base I made a nice bunker area like the first image for my guys to post up at and shoot any stragglers that come through. I think there's been a patch that changed the traps so you can't quite cram them in as tightly as seen here though afaik.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 30, 2018

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
I accidentally started my first 1.0 game with 3 folks who won't cook. There are berries but not sure how long this colony is going to survive.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
This loving game. Day 2 I get a raid, and down the guy without taking a hit. He gives me a grunt hauler and a crafter, two things i'm hurting for. Haul him back to my cell (I have learned that the first room you ever build is a prison cell) 29 resistance, 75% recruitment difficulty.

Still considered guilty, so I will probably just slit his throat. Do I get a mood debuff for that? Of I select release, can I just kick his bleeding rear end out to die in the woods?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's executing a prisoner debuff. Once you release him he's not your problem though.