Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

now put a hex gate into it lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

LoseHound posted:

i don't like fighting games, i louvre 'em

:golfclap:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

this image exudes a powerful energy

trig stick energy

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

at least he's going to know real quick when he needs to replace his spring

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Thank you again to the thread for all the fightstick advice by the way, my homemade ergonomically sloped stick/hitbox-hybrid (shitbox?) is 95% done and I already did a temporary wiring job and used it at a friend's house on SCVI. I had to buy a whole table saw just to do the bevels but it came out nearly perfect, which blows my mind it's the first thing I've done like this since highschool wood shop:

I know people have gone over the hitbox thing over and over, but is orgone energy allowed at tournaments

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

how much did the tablesaw cost

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
hold the stick with your pointer finger and thumb near the base

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
It's a little bit sad when you have fond memories of an old fighting game, something besides a major one like SF or Tekken, you search YouTube "[old fighting game] tournament" and you see how completely unbalanced and horrible the gameplay actually was, and that it was actually a really horrible fighting game, you just weren't playing it nearly to it's potential.

Decided to search for a Last Blade 2 tournament just to see what top level play is, and it's literally just people jump attacking each other over and over with heavy attacks. I wanted to see some crazy poo poo. SamSho seems to be the same with no one attacking until they get the absolute perfect set up to take half the life bar; half the matches go to timeout because I mean it literally that no one attacks.

At least Garou seems like one that actually was really well balanced, high level play is real fun to watch.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Graphic posted:

SamSho seems to be the same with no one attacking until they get the absolute perfect set up to take half the life bar; half the matches go to timeout because I mean it literally that no one attacks.

this is the appeal of SamSho though :confused:

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Graphic posted:

At least Garou seems like one that actually was really well balanced, high level play is real fun to watch.

Got some bad news for you

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
i watched a japanese Garou tournament and liked it *shrug*

Victory Position posted:

this is the appeal of SamSho though :confused:

for five minutes

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
garou mark of the kevins

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Garou Loops: Oops all Kevins

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Victory Position posted:

I know people have gone over the hitbox thing over and over, but is orgone energy allowed at tournaments

Now they need to put some crystals inside it.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Graphic posted:

It's a little bit sad when you have fond memories of an old fighting game, something besides a major one like SF or Tekken, you search YouTube "[old fighting game] tournament" and you see how completely unbalanced and horrible the gameplay actually was, and that it was actually a really horrible fighting game, you just weren't playing it nearly to it's potential.

Decided to search for a Last Blade 2 tournament just to see what top level play is, and it's literally just people jump attacking each other over and over with heavy attacks. I wanted to see some crazy poo poo. SamSho seems to be the same with no one attacking until they get the absolute perfect set up to take half the life bar; half the matches go to timeout because I mean it literally that no one attacks.

lmao at this entire post btw, the punchline is good

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Zand posted:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Zand posted:

it was so funny i nearly feinted

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You might get the wrong idea watching random Japanese arcade tournaments of what a game is like at high level because it's mostly drunk 40 year old salarymen making their own fun out of the games.

Like if you watch any Japanese 3S tournament besides co-op cup you might not even know Chun-Li is in the game.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Could someone explain to me what "gates" are for stick controllers?

I am buying one soon. How long does it usually take to get acclimated? I have been a keyboard player.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Spanish Manlove posted:

please put an illuminati eye on one of the vertical surfaces

I'm gonna put Voldo art all over it, and he already has illuminati eyes all over him like on his claws and the back of his head.

Turns out I'm the 60th best SCVI Voldo player in the world, even though I'm a complete mashing scrub! Guess there's not many Voldo players...

Crocoswine posted:

how much did the tablesaw cost

$800 on Craigslist but it was a steal, and I honestly needed it for other carpentry poo poo cause I'm a landlord. It's that "Sawstop" brand that stops the blade instantly when you touch it so it can't lop your finger off.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Schneider Heim posted:

Could someone explain to me what "gates" are for stick controllers?

I am buying one soon. How long does it usually take to get acclimated? I have been a keyboard player.

the physical shaft of the joystick hits little clickers inside the game controller box machine. the gate is a little plastic ring that prevents the joystick from moving too far while you do it. lovely american arcade machines use circle gates (and infect people with nostalgia for them) but if you use a circle gate you make it harder to do diagonals in exchange for the ability to ride the gate (put so much weight into the stick in such a way that you scrape up against the gate for the duration of the motion). riding the gate is a bad habit that makes you worse at every game because it slows you down in exchange for letting you be occasionally lazier.

most sticks come with square gates nowadays. square is ideal in addition to being easy to find.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Zand posted:

Lol

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Has anyone ever used the PS3/PS4 to PS1/PS2 brooks converter? I wanna play fate/unlimited codes and hokuto no ken more and the ps2 sticks I actually own are terrible so I wanna find some way to use the sticks I like using with these dumbass games

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

You might get the wrong idea watching random Japanese arcade tournaments of what a game is like at high level because it's mostly drunk 40 year old salarymen making their own fun out of the games.

Like if you watch any Japanese 3S tournament besides co-op cup you might not even know Chun-Li is in the game.

The funniest mikado tourney I've seen is that one game 2D with endless stages where they set round timers to 2 seconds. That was good poo poo

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Penta gates are the optimal gate

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

Penta gates are the optimal gate

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Baal posted:

Has anyone ever used the PS3/PS4 to PS1/PS2 brooks converter? I wanna play fate/unlimited codes and hokuto no ken more and the ps2 sticks I actually own are terrible so I wanna find some way to use the sticks I like using with these dumbass games

I have not, all I'll say is make sure you update the firmware (if applicable) the moment you get it because my PS4/PC brooks PCB had the buttons completely screwy on both PS4/PC until I followed the update instructions.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

Zero VGS posted:

Thank you again to the thread for all the fightstick advice by the way, my homemade ergonomically sloped stick/hitbox-hybrid (shitbox?) is 95% done and I already did a temporary wiring job and used it at a friend's house on SCVI. I had to buy a whole table saw just to do the bevels but it came out nearly perfect, which blows my mind it's the first thing I've done like this since highschool wood shop:

Pyramid Head looking rear end controller.

Bamco put Pyramid Head in Soul Calibur, actually that's just Nightmare or Siegfried

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/SAZABI810/status/1057065233448022016

EXVS2 mobility burst is shaping up to be everything I ever wanted and more.

Of course, now I'm just wondering if we'll even get a port of the game. Not even just talking about an international release, just a home version in any form.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the only problem with that ergonomic stick is the bat top. otherwise cool. maybe the hitbox jump button right hand issue but i’m not a cheater so i wouldn’t know.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

b_d posted:

the only problem with that ergonomic stick is the bat top. otherwise cool. maybe the hitbox jump button right hand issue but i’m not a cheater so i wouldn’t know.

Would it be tourney legal to have a duplicate button wired in parallel on the other side? IE two thumb buttons?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Anything is tourney legal if you don't tell anyone about it.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

b_d posted:

With the glass being a half-inch thick, the joystick shaft mounted from underneath is that much lower than usual; the bat top is about a half-inch longer than a ball so I went with that to compensate.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Would it be tourney legal to have a duplicate button wired in parallel on the other side? IE two thumb buttons?

From what I can see no one seems to care as long as the PCB has SOCD cleaning.

Do people actually use their right thumb on the hitboxes? Like I get that you're supposed to hit the button with either thumb but it makes no sense to actually use my right thumb for that; I'd have it resting on the block button for Soucaliber at least. I've been "left hand = directionals" my whole life so I don't know if I can unlearn that for the Up direction situationally.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 30, 2018

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

https://twitter.com/SAZABI810/status/1057065233448022016

EXVS2 mobility burst is shaping up to be everything I ever wanted and more.

Of course, now I'm just wondering if we'll even get a port of the game. Not even just talking about an international release, just a home version in any form.

I strongly doubt it, at least not for a very long time. They're very unlikely to release a console port while EXVS2 is still arcade relevant; both the EXVS and FB ports came out as they were being rendered moot by new versions in arcades. Gundam Versus was their attempt to square this circle by making a "console" version of the franchise, but it went over like a lead balloon, so I'm betting they'll just quietly keep to their relatively successful arcade niche.

Which of course means that everyone who wants to play it but doesn't live in a Japanese metro is kind of boned.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Zero VGS posted:

Do people actually use their right thumb on the hitboxes?

Not for jump, though if my layout had space for a block button I'd be all over that poo poo.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Kanos posted:

I strongly doubt it, at least not for a very long time. They're very unlikely to release a console port while EXVS2 is still arcade relevant; both the EXVS and FB ports came out as they were being rendered moot by new versions in arcades. Gundam Versus was their attempt to square this circle by making a "console" version of the franchise, but it went over like a lead balloon, so I'm betting they'll just quietly keep to their relatively successful arcade niche.

Which of course means that everyone who wants to play it but doesn't live in a Japanese metro is kind of boned.

idk why they keep making the same mistake

rise of incarnates was EXVS except shittier
GVS was EXVS except shittier

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

dragon enthusiast posted:

idk why they keep making the same mistake

rise of incarnates was EXVS except shittier
GVS was EXVS except shittier

Rise of Incarnates honestly had a shot. The comic universe was apparently quite popular. The biggest problem was it was an F2P competitive game that also had fairly strenuous system requirements, meaning that they could never get an actual decent audience playing the game; for a competitive F2P game to even have a shot at being successful it needs to be able to run on a toaster so you can cast a wide enough net to find some whales to actually fund your development.

I'm hugely bitter about GVS because I feel like they had some potential for a great beginning with it and they just milked it for DLC money and abandoned it instead of supporting it with continual updates like the arcade releases. The game had some monster suit balance issues that they basically gave up on trying to patch but they kept churning out tons of DLC. The final straw for me was when they went dead radio silent for 5 months and then released a patch that did basically nothing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Zand posted:

not emptyquoting

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Honestly, I didn't hate GVS, I found it fun on the casual level I'm stuck at, but even though Nightingale is and will forever be one of my favorite suits, I just didn't really care for some of the new mechanics, and the suit variety really wasn't doing it for me.

EXVS2 looks goddamn amazing though, and it sucks that I'll probably never get to play it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Zand posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4Jn3ocNr1k&t=40s