Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Part of me hopes the Dodgers miss out next year and have to rebuild. I can’t take another full season of waiting to see if we get wrecked in the WS again

All of me hopes this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

This one WS captured moment is beautiful.

I'd attribute it but I didn't get the origin

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Popete posted:

If the Cubs don't sign Machado they should trade for Starlin Castro and move Baez over to SS permanently.

I would be fully content with that being our entire off season.

Actually gently caress it, don't sign Machado and do that instead.

I want this too.

Castro will forever have a place in my heart for mimicking a ground out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I gotta say, Boston winning the World Series because of a few terrible Yankee retreads who sucked here and David Price was not something I would have seen coming lol. Very annoying season.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Inspector_666 posted:

They run and read about mock drafts every 3 hours starting the day after the Super Bowl.

They’re already doing mock drafts, with proposed placement of teams. This actually starts before Week 1 is played/over.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

mcmagic posted:

I gotta say, Boston winning the World Series because of a few terrible Yankee retreads who sucked here and David Price was not something I would have seen coming lol. Very annoying season.
You really have to twist yourself into some pretzels to avoid admitting this was a good-rear end team.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Steve Pearce, Yankee retread*

*played 12 games for them 6 years ago

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Ammat The Ankh posted:

All of me hopes this.

We all know you have nothing to look forward to, not sure why you guys feel the need to keep reminding us

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Your Taint posted:

We need to figure out how to loving hit and get at least one solid starter.

You paid out for two top line starters last offseason already

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

You really have to twist yourself into some pretzels to avoid admitting this was a good-rear end team.

I think he was just saying that the Red Sox are better than the Yankees at getting the most out of their players

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Intruder posted:

You paid out for two top line starters last offseason already

Neither of them were solid.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Or starters

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I mean it doesn't matter how good they are, they won. It just happened in a weird way.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

howe_sam posted:

The Red Sox off season is pretty straightforward. Figure out next year's closer, get the back end of the rotation set, bench bats, assess Pedroia's health, and see what it would take to lock in Bogie (a free agent after next year) or Betts long term.

shut the gently caress up

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1057023950167986177?s=20

This just means they’re negotiating with Marwin instead, right? :ohdear:

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don’t fully understand how QO’s work. Is there a limit to how many teams can offer?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Teams offer QOs to their own soon-to-be free agents.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Right, and then if the FA signs with another team the original team gets a compensatory draft pick, correct?

I guess I should just look this up on my own but then again it’s postseason discussion

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

mcmagic posted:

mcmagic posted:

I mean it doesn't matter how good they are, they won. It just happened in a weird way.

yeah i agree. it is super weird how the team with the most wins in baseball, who beat the teams with the 2nd and 3rd most wins in baseball on their way to the world series, and also had the best offense in baseball by nearly every metric, and also overall good pitching, won the world series.

odd, that.

thanks you few terrible yankee retreads who sucked and david price. (seriously though, thanks david price)

Damo fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 30, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

GalacticAcid posted:

Right, and then if the FA signs with another team the original team gets a compensatory draft pick, correct?

I guess I should just look this up on my own but then again it’s postseason discussion

Right. From the MLB article about this year’s QOs:

quote:

Before we can get to the fun of trades and free agency, we have to get one piece of bookkeeping out of the way: qualifying offers. That's the process when teams must decide whether to extend a one-year, $17.9 million contract to eligible free agents; the offers must come within five days of the end of the World Series (deadline is Friday at 5 p.m. ET), and the players who receive them have 10 days to accept or reject the offer. If they turn it down and sign elsewhere, their former team can gain some compensation in return.

quote:

Not eligible due to trades
Only players who spent the entire year with the same team are eligible to receive an offer, so players like Manny Machado, Andrew McCutchen, Zach Britton, Nathan Eovaldi, Josh Donaldson, Matt Harvey, Brian Dozier, J.A. Happ and Wilson Ramos aren't part of the discussion.

Not eligible due to previous qualifying offers
Players may only receive the offer once, so Nelson Cruz, Walker, David Robertson and Daniel Murphy (who was traded this year anyway) won't be receiving another.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Thanks! This is helpful.

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Wait a minute, what? Can you only get a QO once in your career or something??

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
You can't be offered one twice in a row by the same team, I think.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Wait a minute, what? Can you only get a QO once in your career or something??

I always thought it was once per tenure on the team, but apparently it is once per career:

quote:

Clubs wishing to receive compensatory Draft picks for the loss of a free agent can make a one-year "qualifying offer," worth the mean salary of MLB's 125 highest-paid players, to their impending free agents prior to the onset of free agency if and only if:

1. That player has never received a qualifying offer previously in his career.

Also:

quote:

Any team that signs a player who has rejected a qualifying offer is subject to the loss of one or more Draft picks. While a team's highest first-round pick is exempt from forfeiture, any additional first-round picks are eligible.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Do teams consult with players ahead of time to see if they would accept a QO or not?

I imagine if teams get confirmation that a player wouldn't take the QO they might as well offer it to get the compensation pick.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Popete posted:

Do teams consult with players ahead of time to see if they would accept a QO or not?

I imagine if teams get confirmation that a player wouldn't take the QO they might as well offer it to get the compensation pick.

I can't imagine that would be a good look for anyone involved.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

I can't imagine that would be a good look for anyone involved.

I mean it's probably not condoned but it would not suprise me in the least if front offices do this kinda thing with a wink/nod and players or agents just play along.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It's only fitting that the MLB regs about what are essentially HR issues are as byzantine as the official rule book. It really is a closed world apart from other businesses.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Popete posted:

I would assume most teams think this way. If you have a reasonably-talented guy like Keuchel who’s subtly or indirectly stated that they’ll be testing the FA waters, the team doesn’t really stand to lose anything by extending the QO. Best case scenario you retain him for cheap, worst case you pick up a few extra lotto tickets. It does kinda suck for the player though since any new team will now be incurring a small penalty for signing them.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

Oh hell yes Drew Pomeranz is a free agent, get the hell out Drew

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
https://twitter.com/dszymborski/status/1057130988655050752?s=21

SAS Dan

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock

show yourself dan

also jack is a nazi, this is well known

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I don't know what to think about the Mets hiring a former agent as their new GM.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1057023950167986177?s=20

This just means they’re negotiating with Marwin instead, right? :ohdear:

No idea why they wouldn't offer Marwin the QO

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Intruder posted:

No idea why they wouldn't offer Marwin the QO

Maybe they’re confident he’ll re-sign and at a higher contract than the $17.9 million

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

bawfuls posted:

Missing the postseason for one year is not the worst thing in the world, but it shouldn't trigger a full rebuild and idk why you'd want it to. This team still has a lot of young and prime-age talent on it.

The emotional exhaustion is real, but I still want to see Kershaw win it all in a Dodger uniform first and foremost.

It only feels like the window is closing because Kershaw is showing his age and the team wasn't as good this year as last. But they can and should win more than 92 games next year. We get Corey back! And Urias!

Yeah. I mean, losing these two WS's is crushing, but following roster construction throughout the year is still a source of enjoyment.

I am also jacked for the return of Seager and the development of Urias as a starter. Hoping the team can 100% commit to developing Stripling as a starter as well. Time to give his bullpen carousel ride a rest and aim to continue his success from the first half of 2018. Buehler/Urias/Stripling is a cool trio regardless of what happens with the other guys.

Honestly torn about Kershaw. Part of me wants to see him retire a Dodger, the other part is like...maybe enough is enough with these blown postseason opportunities? I really hope Ryu comes back and that seems more within the FO's price range. JT Realmuto is probably my top trade target, makes lots of sense with Grandal leaving and a relative lack of right-handed pop in the lineup. Having Bryce Harper on my team would be cool obviously. Also, please stop being cute with bargain bin bullpen construction. David Robertson, Adam Ottavino, Jeurys Familia...whatever. Please get them.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

I hate baseball, I hate the AL and I loving hate Joe Buck.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Vernacular posted:

Yeah. I mean, losing these two WS's is crushing, but following roster construction throughout the year is still a source of enjoyment.

I am also jacked for the return of Seager and the development of Urias as a starter. Hoping the team can 100% commit to developing Stripling as a starter as well. Time to give his bullpen carousel ride a rest and aim to continue his success from the first half of 2018. Buehler/Urias/Stripling is a cool trio regardless of what happens with the other guys.

Honestly torn about Kershaw. Part of me wants to see him retire a Dodger, the other part is like...maybe enough is enough with these blown postseason opportunities? I really hope Ryu comes back and that seems more within the FO's price range. JT Realmuto is probably my top trade target, makes lots of sense with Grandal leaving and a relative lack of right-handed pop in the lineup. Having Bryce Harper on my team would be cool obviously. Also, please stop being cute with bargain bin bullpen construction. David Robertson, Adam Ottavino, Jeurys Familia...whatever. Please get them.
Why would you want the Dodgers to chase expensive bullpen arms when they so consistently fizzle? Just look at Colorado this year for the most recent example. Building a bullpen is difficult, and simply throwing more money at the problem is not a reliable solution.

I don't know how you can talk about Kershaw not being in this FO's price range. If this team can't retain a franchise icon like him then what's the point?

I do hope they find a way to bring Ryu back, presumably they'd only do it with some playing time incentives.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Oct 30, 2018

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
If you're craving more baseballs, the 3rd game for the NPB just started

https://www.facebook.com/131899170747242/videos/182613049316878/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe they’re confident he’ll re-sign and at a higher contract than the $17.9 million

They'd have to think he'll sign for less than the QO if they're not offering him one. Which I could see.