Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Shame Boy posted:

:psyduck:

"blockchains is a movement" i say as i slowly shrink and transform into a thought-leader

its like they did a find and replace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
last weeks economist had a tolerable piece about stablecoins.

quote:

To get an idea of just how volatile cryptocurrencies are, compare them with the stockmarket. Bitcoin, the biggest one, moves as much against the dollar in a single day as the s&p 500 does in 23. For speculators, this is a feature. For anyone who wants to use these digital monies for payments, savings or lending, it is a bug. In other words, volatility is a big obstacle to cryptocurrencies becoming much more widely used.

Stablecoins are an attempt to overcome this hurdle: they are cryptocurrencies designed to hold a steady price. Their number has multiplied recently. At least 20 are now traded on crypto-exchanges and many more are in development. Despite their growing number, they still account for just 1.5% of the value of cryptocurrencies in circulation. But they are involved in a large share of all trading.

Investors use them to park assets when they do not want to hold volatile cryptocurrencies but also do not want to move back into “fiat” (government-issued money). Big venture-capital firms, such as Google Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz, have given their approval, investing more than $350m in stablecoin projects.

Most stablecoins are backed by real-world assets such as fiat or gold. Some are collateralised by a basket of other cryptocurrencies. Others have no collateral at all, but are controlled by an algorithm that increases or decreases supply to keep their prices stable.

Whatever their inner workings, the big question is whether stablecoins can live up to their name. It has become more pressing in recent days. On October 15th Tether, which is backed by dollars and is the biggest of the lot, with a typical daily trading volume of around $2.5bn, suffered the latest in a series of speculative scares. That pushed its value down to an 18-month low. It has since recovered most of its losses, but the incident was a reminder of worries about Tether’s solidity. The firm that backs it has not yet presented incontestable proof of the funds it claims to hold to secure the coin’s dollar peg.

Rivals are seizing on Tether’s wobbles as an opportunity to set themselves apart. Many new issuers now adhere voluntarily to anti-money-laundering and know-your-customer checks by national regulators. Trueusd, another dollar-backed stablecoin, submits to regular audits and holds collateral funds in an external trust. Eidoo, a company offering a gold-backed stablecoin, invites customers to keep an eye on its reserves of the precious metal through a video link to the vault where they are stored.

Still, experts outside the crypto-sphere are not convinced that stablecoins are here to stay. That is not solely because their pegs may break, as can happen with real-world currencies and assets. For Barry Eichengreen of the University of California, Berkeley, for instance, some stablecoins have characteristics that are “attractive to money-launderers and tax-evaders”. Among other things, they could be used to evade the taxes that become due in many jurisdictions when cryptocurrencies are exchanged for fiat. Regulators had better keep their eyes wide open.
how many more speculators you think are going to get burned by not realizing that going shitcoin -> stablecoin counts as realizing gains and they now owe The Man his cut?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I hope at least the graphic artists are making money from this,

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

that oyster one under personal just stole everyone's money today so that chart aged well

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

also that's technically an emoji, not an emoticon. they are two different things, nerd
an emoji is mapped to a unicode character, idiot

it's literally japanese for "picture-character"

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
incidentally it's also the japanese word for emoticon, which is characters arranged into a picture

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

へ    へ
の    の
   も
   へ

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

MrMoo posted:

these are definitely in use

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
boy howdy do i ever want a Healthcare Blockchain when i'm sick

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

im the insurance company ai gang

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
'In short, we're going to build a Dragoniahc-based solution with bread integration and THEKEY support.

You can download our full celsiusripio proposition and price list from siqIPFS or contact us on ONG for more detailsa.

Your wax promo code also entitles you to a 10% discount if you pay through humaniq!'

A totally real thing someone probably said at some point while discussing business.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

all of this is so clearly just nerds cosplaying as c suites and investment bankers

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
case (post) of

Sham bam bamina! posted:

an emoji is mapped to a unicode character, idiot

it's literally japanese for "picture-character"

:wrong:

Sham bam bamina! posted:

incidentally it's also the japanese word for emoticon, which is characters arranged into a picture

Boxturret posted:

へ    へ
の    の
   も
   へ

default: :wrong:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Number go down today

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
but number can't go down. number go to moon. moon is up. i don't understand.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

:siren: no, not those kinds of sirens like my bitcoin job just got busted for crimes, just sirens to alert you to a long overdue update :siren:

$ cat ~/secret\ folder\ keep\ out/my_crypto_currency_crimes_job.txt | echo -

so a week after i joined this job the guy who hired me "quit" or was "fired" depending on who you ask. i surmise that he saw my pay cheque (darth figgius muahahaha) and demanded a raise on the spot, then left when refused.

there are two people who know "how the app works". by that i mean how we push it, where it's hosted, etc. and both of them were now gone. so i spent 3 days learning gitlab and AWS as much as possible to not only allow us to deploy the app, but integrate some ~30 or so tests i've written for the app so that we don't deploy broken poo poo.

DRY - Don't Repeat Yourself. it's actually a stupid rule with many faults, but it's applicable 90% of the time when you use React. you just import the component and you use it again. you pass in props. oh, and you have a central store of information that all components subscribe to and keep updated to matter where they are. this is web development.

the ~~main guy/CEO??~~ instead had the idea that each part of the app should be it's own separate component. wait, aren't all react components already like that? no, not enough so! so the project is like this

code:
src/
 -admin/
  -components/
   -header/
    -index.js
    -style.js
    -view.js
  -reducer.js
 -shop/
  -components/
   -header/
    -index.js
    -style.js
    -view.js
  -reducer.js
 -business/
  -SAME EXACT poo poo
the idea was that "if one part breaks, the rest doesn't", but the dev team instead cut and paste all their components so there's a far greater surface area for things to break. if any of these things break, the whole app does. they've taken this modular framework, been asked to make it modular, and made it unmodular to give an certain modular illusion.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if it goes down far enough, it will come out the other side and reach the moon that way

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

:siren: part 2 :siren:

so the dude who hired me said i was hired to refactor the app. for weeks i toiled away combing the redux stores, making shared components, adding cool middlewares, and then re-writing the pipeline to include builds, build artifacts, tests and deploys to S3. it was really looking sharp, as long as you didn't look at the other folders and realize 90% was still duplicated work.

things got kinda fishy. i asked on Slack that people review my code so i could merge. again and again, and even CEO-ish guy bloviated "tomorrow we go through each and every pull request!" never happened.

when i saw one of my PRs was 5 weeks old i said gently caress it and spent 6 hours fixing merge conflicts and adding 90% of my work into the test branch whether anyone liked it or not. jeez, there were NO OTHER PRs! it seemed like no one else worked there and Slack was populated but dead silent.

for the savvy, i updated Babel, Webpack, React, actually used Redux properly, and overhauled everything. no complaints, oddly. i wrote wiki pages and linked them in the slack about how to use the new stuff. some people said it looked good. little else.

slowly i catch on that there is another branch, a huge feature, that doesn't have an MR, that i've never, as a senior dev, been assigned to review, and that is based on code now months old and several frameworks versions behind, on several frameworks.

valiantly, i snort 1 gram of cocaine and merge everything. things are running, tests are passing. but mind you, no one has actually read my guides on tests and made any tests of their own.

there's a bug. the CEO decides then and there to roll back my 2 months of work and deploy the new feature along with the old site. no tests, no type checking, no shared components or improved forms.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Shame Boy posted:

:psyduck:

"blockchains is a movement" i say as i slowly shrink and transform into a thought-leader

https://poopstat.us for blockchain movement news

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

:siren: part 3 :siren:

rewind a little bit. my tests are running, but when we get to the deploy phase of the pipeline, they stop after the 1st or 2nd deploy to the test server. this is where i learn about how cool gitlab is because you can run your own build/test/deploy runners. but ours is broken, giving several different errors, including hardware/allocation ones.

someone gives me an AWS account with read access to maybe 3 things. i realize they have 50 EC2 servers going with volumes of up to 200GB each. they're tiny compute-wise and not mining, far as i can tell. i hate aws and tell them i think a docker instance has eaten up all their HDD. i set up my own VPS and run the tests securely on that.

but while investigating this, i notice something weird. their script says

code:
aws s3 cp ${SUPER_SECRET_FILE} .env
oh no. that actually explains why none of our env variables set on the runner work at all. sticking an .env file in from S3 and the server is using that as the sole source of environment variables. fuuuuck.

but it gets worse. if I take the AWS credentials from the environment variables, i can download all the SUPER_SECRET_FILEs I want, for all environments! first i downloaded the dev version... phew, nothing secret three. reluctantly i download the staging env file... phew... exactly the same as the one (stupidly) already in the git repository. dare i get the prod one... oh gently caress me it's the exact same file as in the git repo! there is no reason for this, the files are exact copies aside from the new public API key we've been trying in vein to add.

but there was more in the S3 folder. private keys to certain blockchain wallets, admin passwords to everything ever. i saw it all and reported it privately to them. but yeah, their security was 100% pointless because the files they held in secret were right there in the git repo, but it was also 100% a liability at the same time because they also stored EvErYtHiNg in the same bucket.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
of course you took the buttcoin wallet keys and drained them to teach them a valuable lesson about proper birdbath usage

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Weatherman posted:

of course you took the buttcoin wallet keys and drained them to teach them a valuable lesson about proper birdbath usage

surely someone somewhere noticed and drained them first

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

How everyone’s wrong about the energy used in Bitcoin mining

There’s no such thing as a free lunch. There’s no such thing as a zero sum game. The 2nd law of thermodynamics tells us this. You know, the one about entropy and how everything will be really, really lame in a couple of trillion years. There’s no action without an equally big reaction somewhere. This is also true for Bitcoin mining.

Every once in awhile, some ignorant click bait hungry journalist writes an article about Bitcoin’s energy usage and how it’s connected to global warming or how widespread Bitcoin adoption would kill us all someday because of its “wasteful” production process. What they all fail to address is they alternative cost. First of all, Bitcoins are valuable precisely because they’re costly to produce. The same is true for gold or diamonds or anything else that is scarce and hard to come by. The mining algorithm can never be any more energy efficient because the electricity spent is directly linked to the value of the token.

Secondly, think about what most people use their Bitcoins for. Nothing. That’s right, nothing. Bitcoin incentivizes saving rather than spending. This is the exact opposite of what our current systems of fiat money does because Bitcoin is deflationary rather than inflationary. This means that every dollar, yen or pound spent on Bitcoin would have ended up being spent on some other energy demanding thing had it not been spent on the Bitcoin. Either that or it would have lost its value due to inflation which means that even more dollars, yen or euros would have been created and spent on frivolous things. The very idea of central banking and the philosophies of John Maynard Keynes is that fast spending and a lot of transactions in general is what drives the economy. Bitcoin is the opposite to these views. Yes it’s costly to produce but so is overproducing every product on earth because you need your business to expand as fast as possible to pay off your loans. Human well being has always and will always be linearly connected to energy consumption. You can’t get around that or bypass this fact. They’re inevitably linked. The thing Bitcoin does is taking away the need for unnecessary energy consumption by incentivizing us to save for future generations. It’s a tool for stopping our destructive tendencies. Not a threat to our planet’s health but a remedy.

So, the next time you hear about Bitcoin using as much energy as a small country, ask yourself — where would all that energy have ended up if it wasn’t funneled into the the only invention trying to save us from ourselves there is? Into a Chinese factory producing consumer goods shipped by boat, truck and car for temporary use by westerners and probably ending up in a garbage pile the size of a small country in less than a year? How is that better for the planet again? The only place solutions for humanity’s problem can stem from is from human ingenuity and human ingenuity itself stems from places where people with brains have a shot at getting somewhere in life. Thanks to the internet and Bitcoin that somewhere is everywhere. The internet connects us and Bitcoin frees up our time and emancipates us from the destructive mechanisms of our current systems. Bitcoin helps you plant a seed and watch it grow if you will. Before you criticize Bitcoin, read up on why it was invented and what inflationary, soft money does to the mechanisms of the market. Why we have a climate problem in the first place. Why we over consume. What underlying forces pull our psychological strings and makes us lend money for a new car? It takes a special kind of ignorance to criticize the solution to a without first getting to know the problem.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
If there were no wars, think about where all those bullets and bombs would go? Probably directly into your stupid head. So the next time you say you don't like wars, remember you are not immune to bullets, fucker.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm lmaoing at "someone withdrew all the money"

Excuse me I'd like to cash a check for all the assets under this bank's management

Ok

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

well, it's not like that was intended functionality. it was just a bug and what can you do.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

triple dot exclamation mark needs to start quoting his sources so we can go directly to the broke brained idiots posting these screeds and throw popcorn at them because this was infuriatingly stupid

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

MrMoo posted:

i love whatever company keeps making these because they did a massive one about marketing companies and my last company (which was very proud of itself and sure it was the ~industry leader~ in whatever bullshit it was making) wasn't even on it :laugh:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

lol dentacoin is on there, bless u dentacoin

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

i know when i see a chart with a trillion balkanized systems i go "man how do i plow my life savings into this" and not shriek in horror and revulsion

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

kw0134 posted:

i know when i see a chart with a trillion balkanized systems i go "man how do i plow my life savings into this" and not shriek in horror and revulsion

same, it's like a fun new pokemon game to discover every time I want to accomplish some mundane daily business

a dream come true

...!
Oct 5, 2003

kw0134 posted:

triple dot exclamation mark needs to start quoting his sources so we can go directly to the broke brained idiots posting these screeds and throw popcorn at them because this was infuriatingly stupid

https://medium.com/@knut.svanholm/how-everyones-wrong-about-the-energy-used-in-bitcoin-mining-fe3009fd9102

...!
Oct 5, 2003

oooooooooooooh! he has a terrible book too!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1718610351/

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

quote:

Dear Bruno,

This is the project I tell everyone about when talking about blockchain solutions. I love Oyster. Everything comes together and it will revolutionise the internet. I am looking up to you. I am. Because I will not believe you did what many people tell me you did. Can't be. You started an idea, you worked your rear end off and got an awesome community with people working for you to make your idea reality.

Now people are telling me you did something nobody thought was possible. You tried to make some money and perhaps ruined the project, which we will all try to save. I don't care about the money I have in Oyster. I care about you. Your vision. You made me believe the crypto space isn't that bad like many people say on the news. What do I have to say now to other people when talking about crypto? The founder of Oyster which worked so drat hard to get this project done for like 1,5 years just exited the project and tried to take as much money as he can? You knew what the consequences were for the project, I just won't believe that you did it until you say you did.

Or were there other reasons? Did you need to pay medical bills for your short term memory loss treatment? Did you thought it was still in ICO because of your short term memory loss? Was there any other reason you needed the money quick? Did someone found you and forced you to use the exploit?

It just can't be that someone who put so much effort in this project just did something like this. Just unimaginable.

Looking forward to your response.

Kind regards,

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

did anyone else just hear a ghost

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

why would you brag about how much money you have in the TfL payment card

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Dear scammer,

I hope you are well. Please let me know if you want more money from me.

Sincerely yours,
Absolute imbecile

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the number of people using bitcoin has no bearing on the mining, why don't people understand this? satoshi in his infinite wisdom teeth decided that no matter how much computing power you throw at bitcoin it will never get better and only gets more and more inefficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Have you considered that bitcoin is just so Good, that the mining is worth it?

• Locked thread