Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
I used the calibration on Criterion's Eraserhead blu and then added a bunch of red channel so everything looks red and rad as hell, just as Kubrick intended

E: I call it Mandy-o-vision

I, Butthole fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Oct 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only two instances you should ever care about slipcovers are the nice Shout/Scream Factory releases that come with new art on the slip and reversible art on the paper cover, and nice Criterion digipaks/slips.

Yeah they're really nice to look at while you immediately throw them into the trash.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Slipccovers are only a thing because some marketing firm in the ‘00s figured out that people were 10% more likely to buy something if they could physically interact with it somehow.

In the biz, they’re called “o-rings.”

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Egbert Souse posted:

You'd be surprised how off people can have the settings.

How many people here have paid an ISF certified professional to calibrate their sets? I'm guessing none.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I calibrate using the color bars on the Chasing Amy DVD

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The only two instances you should ever care about slipcovers are the nice Shout/Scream Factory releases that come with new art on the slip and reversible art on the paper cover, and nice Criterion digipaks/slips.

Vinegar Syndrome's slipcovers should be included there :colbert:

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

TheScott2K posted:

I calibrate using the color bars on the Chasing Amy DVD

Pfff, I calibrate using my Casablanca VHS.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Callibration is for chumps

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I find calibrating with my Samsung 4K to be fairly easy and just used the THX Optimizer app with my Apple TV.

Also, some catalog announcements:

Universal is releasing Chicken Run and The Road to El Dorado on Jan 22
Sony is re-issuing Oliver! on Dec 11
Twilight Time is releasing Sony's 4K restoration of Beat the Devil on Jan 22

And Sony quietly reissued the 1990 Night of the Living Dead last week from a new transfer compared to the Twilight Time:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Night-of-the-Living-Dead-Blu-ray/215877/#Review

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Iron Crowned posted:

Callibration is for chumps

I just put on the vivid setting pre installed in my tv. I like a bright picture. I tried using the preset calibrated mode and following a recommended guide, but both came out super dark and warm.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Egbert Souse posted:

I find calibrating with my Samsung 4K to be fairly easy and just used the THX Optimizer app with my Apple TV.

Also, some catalog announcements:

Universal is releasing Chicken Run and The Road to El Dorado on Jan 22
Sony is re-issuing Oliver! on Dec 11
Twilight Time is releasing Sony's 4K restoration of Beat the Devil on Jan 22

And Sony quietly reissued the 1990 Night of the Living Dead last week from a new transfer compared to the Twilight Time:
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Night-of-the-Living-Dead-Blu-ray/215877/#Review

I just saw “Beat the Devil” in a theater a couple weeks back so that’s a must. I really wanna show it to my parents.

Also, I had my last set calibrated by an ISF-certified tech and plan on doing it for this one. But I’m impressed w the out of the box presets. Also, does anyone know if ARC automatically powers on the sound system? Everything w CEC is great, I just wish my drat surround wouldn’t come on automatically.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Amazon just delayed my matrix trilogy 4k set and not a single store here has them in stock. gently caress.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

Amazon just delayed my matrix trilogy 4k set and not a single store here has them in stock. gently caress.

Best Buy lists them as available today in the stores near me so I'll be interested to see what happens when I swing by later. Typically their attitude when I ask about blu ray releases is "it'll show up on the shelf when it shows up, or maybe it won't, why are you bothering me about a stupid blu ray old man?"

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anything else is on the same level as people who pay $$$ for an LP because it still has the Japanese obi strip included.

I throw pretty much all my slipcovers in the trash unless it’s got, like, a lenticular cover that I can’t peel off the slipcover and glue onto the Blu-ray case. Lenticulars are cool, more movies should use them. :kiddo:

As a rule I also have all my Shout/Scream Factory stuff with the new art facing out, because it’s more interesting than the vanilla art that I’ve seen a million times.

I consider Criterion slipcovers an essential part of the case.

I’m also one of those weirdos who gives a poo poo about cases and how they look on my shelf, so I regularly seek out non-vanilla releases of movies like steelbooks, digibooks/digipaks, metalpaks, etc, even going so far as to buy (region-A compatible) foreign releases if they’re not stupid expensive. There’s an awesome eBay seller who only sells wacky special edition releases of movies from around the world and they’re generally at really fair prices.

Here’s one of his listings; you can find the rest of his stuff from there:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362469244782
Be warned: he’s apparently selling a shitload of Funko Pops right now for some reason, in case those things trigger you.

Do you guys track your collections on blu-ray.com or anything? Here’s me:

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=299446

In my head I picture Egbert Souse having a multi-thousand movie collection.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I like slipcovers and always keep them, but at the same time I don't really give a poo poo about them. If it has one great, if not who gives a gently caress.

My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=201798

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Last time I checked my Collectorz app I had 1,041 titles with close to a 40/60 split between TV/Movies. 20 Arrow movies, 99 Criterion, though I’m pretty sure there’s a couple I haven’t scanned in yet.

Is there a way to export Collectorz stuff directly into Blu-Ray.com, or would I have to rescan everything?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

I like slipcovers and always keep them, but at the same time I don't really give a poo poo about them. If it has one great, if not who gives a gently caress.

My collection: https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=201798

I'm a big fan of the "owned" category.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Here's my collection:
https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=88794&categoryid=7

I honestly don't care about slipcovers unless it's part of the actual package. It's just trash to me. Only recent exception is the "belly band" for Indicator's William Castle at Columbia set since it has the limited edition # on the back.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

When I worked at GameStop, I went out of my way to trash any slipcovers from traded games.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Sometimes I pack my cases a little too tightly together on the shelf and slip covers are good for preventing the plastic of the cases from getting all warped and lovely looking. Other than that I don't care too much about them either way.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Egbert Souse posted:

Here's my collection:
https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=88794&categoryid=7

I honestly don't care about slipcovers unless it's part of the actual package. It's just trash to me. Only recent exception is the "belly band" for Indicator's William Castle at Columbia set since it has the limited edition # on the back.

Nice collection. Any reason you got the Coen Media release of The Old Dark House instead of the MOC?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

Best Buy lists them as available today in the stores near me so I'll be interested to see what happens when I swing by later. Typically their attitude when I ask about blu ray releases is "it'll show up on the shelf when it shows up, or maybe it won't, why are you bothering me about a stupid blu ray old man?"

It showed up later near me so I put in a pick up order. I figure if they actually get it to me today I'll cancel the Amazon one.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Last time I checked my Collectorz app I had 1,041 titles with close to a 40/60 split between TV/Movies. 20 Arrow movies, 99 Criterion, though I’m pretty sure there’s a couple I haven’t scanned in yet.

Is there a way to export Collectorz stuff directly into Blu-Ray.com, or would I have to rescan everything?

It looks like there’s an import tool for Collectorz to Blu-Ray. It’s “my blu-Ray.com > my collection > import”.

Anyway, here’s my collection and my ridiculously huge wishlist. https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=399717&categoryid=7

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Spatulater bro! posted:

Nice collection. Any reason you got the Coen Media release of The Old Dark House instead of the MOC?

Amazon had it on sale for $16 and they have the same transfer, so I didn't think it was worth importing just for extras.

I imported Intolerance because the Cohen version didn't go under $35 while it was cheap from MoC. Also, both editions are nearly identical. On the other hand, I picked up the MoC Buster Keaton shorts set over the Kino edition because of the included book.

I've been meaning to import more stuff, but my budget keeps getting taken up by US sales. :v:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Iron Crowned posted:

I'm a big fan of the "owned" category.

What do you mean?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vince MechMahon posted:

It showed up later near me so I put in a pick up order. I figure if they actually get it to me today I'll cancel the Amazon one.

I went in to the store, saw that nothing had been put out on the new release shelf, and asked someone to look it up. They said they did not have any in stock. I acted confused like wow that's really weird you'd think a Best Buy would have a movie like The Matrix on the day it comes out, would you mind checking in the back? Sure enough, she's in the back for 2 minutes and the whole box of Matrix UHDs were just sitting there waiting to be checked into their system.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Basebf555 posted:

I went in to the store, saw that nothing had been put out on the new release shelf, and asked someone to look it up. They said they did not have any in stock. I acted confused like wow that's really weird you'd think a Best Buy would have a movie like The Matrix on the day it comes out, would you mind checking in the back? Sure enough, she's in the back for 2 minutes and the whole box of Matrix UHDs were just sitting there waiting to be checked into their system.

They're saying mine is ready for pickup. So probably the same poo poo at mine.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Xenomrph posted:

I throw pretty much all my slipcovers in the trash unless it’s got, like, a lenticular cover that I can’t peel off the slipcover and glue onto the Blu-ray case. Lenticulars are cool, more movies should use them. :kiddo:

As a rule I also have all my Shout/Scream Factory stuff with the new art facing out, because it’s more interesting than the vanilla art that I’ve seen a million times.

I consider Criterion slipcovers an essential part of the case.

I’m also one of those weirdos who gives a poo poo about cases and how they look on my shelf, so I regularly seek out non-vanilla releases of movies like steelbooks, digibooks/digipaks, metalpaks, etc, even going so far as to buy (region-A compatible) foreign releases if they’re not stupid expensive. There’s an awesome eBay seller who only sells wacky special edition releases of movies from around the world and they’re generally at really fair prices.

Here’s one of his listings; you can find the rest of his stuff from there:
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362469244782
Be warned: he’s apparently selling a shitload of Funko Pops right now for some reason, in case those things trigger you.

Do you guys track your collections on blu-ray.com or anything? Here’s me:

https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=299446

In my head I picture Egbert Souse having a multi-thousand movie collection.

Steelbooks look worse than the regular cases. They always have a bunch of cheesy poo poo on them that looks like it was just cobbled together in ten minutes to shift more units. Or that do that lovely "minimalist" thing.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question how are people watching the 2001 UHd if it isn’t out until mid November

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Imagine 4k restorations on the edge of a cliff.

UHD works the same way.

FalsePriest
Oct 20, 2010

"hi im pyle shittenhouse" *plop* *plop* *plop* "oops i have shit in your house lol"

Empress Brosephine posted:

Question how are people watching the 2001 UHd if it isn’t out until mid November

I guess amazon pre orders are shipping out. Mine just shipped today.

FalsePriest fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Oct 31, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Liar Lyre posted:

It looks like there’s an import tool for Collectorz to Blu-Ray. It’s “my blu-Ray.com > my collection > import”.

Anyway, here’s my collection and my ridiculously huge wishlist. https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=399717&categoryid=7

Nice, thanks.

Here's mine. The categories are a little funky, but I didn't want to splinter them into anything more specific than what's listed. Apparently half my collection is still on DVD, which isn't totally unexpected given all the Doctor Who and MST3k.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
https://www.blu-ray.com/community/collection.php?u=82405

Pulling this to post it for no reason made me remember that they stopped putting Archer on Blu-ray, rendering my collection eternally incomplete. I don't track my DVDs though which is why my collection looks like I own only the last season of King of the Hill which would be pretty weird.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Empress Brosephine posted:

I pre-ordered back in July, so I'm guessing pre-orders are safe. There's a manufacturing bottleneck, apparently.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Basebf555 posted:

Sometimes I pack my cases a little too tightly together on the shelf and slip covers are good for preventing the plastic of the cases from getting all warped and lovely looking. Other than that I don't care too much about them either way.

y'all need to get some of the Australian/Criterion/Arrow cases, they're super sturdy and stand up to irresponsible stacking over continuously growing to-watch piles and collisions from cats trying to turn a corner too quickly and slamming into low-lying shelves:

Although they do take up roughly a third more space than the slimline US cases which I will forever hate :(

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

You Napoleon is getting smashed and it's causing me physical pain.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Spatulater bro! posted:

You Napoleon is getting smashed and it's causing me physical pain.

It arrived like that because Amazon UK thought a mailer envelope would be fine to survive a journey across the world

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Steelbooks look worse than the regular cases. They always have a bunch of cheesy poo poo on them that looks like it was just cobbled together in ten minutes to shift more units. Or that do that lovely "minimalist" thing.
Very strongly disagree, I’ve got a ton of really classy, “clean” looking steelbooks that kick rear end. I’ve got a few that were intentionally done in the same style despite being unrelated movies, and I dig it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 31, 2018

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Xenomrph posted:

Very strongly disagree, I’ve got a ton of really classy, “clean” looking steelbooks that kick rear end. I’ve got a few that were intentionally done in the same style despite being unrelated movies, and I dig it.

I like the Rocketeer one because it's just the movie poster but most of the rest are exactly the kind of tacky garbage I'm talking about, especially the comic book cover thing. And not that you showed me any, but I really, really hate this loving garbage:

They're not just ugly, stupid, and unrelated to the themes or aesthetic of the films but they are straight up using cultural appropriation to sell some crap at Best Buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I dig the Stargate and Maltese Falcon steelbooks :shrug: