Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Raycevick covers Bodycount and BLACK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
to be fair the 'MAN' branding stuff is pretty poo poo because almost always it's an objectively worse thing that smells like poo poo or is worse than normal because US MANLY MEN DON'T NEED SISSY STUFF or whatever so I'm all for shaming anyone stupid enough to go 'man sized tissues' and my only issue is she didn't just ask 'so you mean these are for cranking off with, yea?'

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Pushing Up Roses has a video on House of Wax, the 3D one with Vincent Price

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xE19yV2B2Q

and Ross Scott has the first part of his Halloween Sampler before his big actual Halloween episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_nWt9fcK_Q

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

to be fair the 'MAN' branding stuff is pretty poo poo because almost always it's an objectively worse thing that smells like poo poo or is worse than normal because US MANLY MEN DON'T NEED SISSY STUFF or whatever so I'm all for shaming anyone stupid enough to go 'man sized tissues' and my only issue is she didn't just ask 'so you mean these are for cranking off with, yea?'

I mean, it doesn't NOT suck. Most of these things are indeed, objectively shite - if you've ever had a Yorkie bar ("THEY'RE NOT FOR GIRLS!") then that's the perfect example (what bloody awful, poo poo chocolate is this? It's almost as bad as American chocolate). But...like, it couldn't be more middle class feminist to make up a tweet complaining about it, could it? With all the important current issues in the UK and around the world that are so worth commenting on, the hot topic of discussion is boxes of tissues. Sort of thing that hammers home just how privileged some of us (including myself tbh - let's face it, here I am commenting on the commentary) are. And yes, obviously you can care about two of things at once - but...it's kind of extreme and it's less the individual crap tweet, more it being the top story. Y'know?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

this was a bit frustrating, he showcases the awesome music of the first Bodycount build but then doesn't list it in his credits (and Shazam isn't helping either)

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Kim Justice posted:

I mean, it doesn't NOT suck. Most of these things are indeed, objectively shite - if you've ever had a Yorkie bar ("THEY'RE NOT FOR GIRLS!") then that's the perfect example (what bloody awful, poo poo chocolate is this? It's almost as bad as American chocolate). But...like, it couldn't be more middle class feminist to make up a tweet complaining about it, could it? With all the important current issues in the UK and around the world that are so worth commenting on, the hot topic of discussion is boxes of tissues. Sort of thing that hammers home just how privileged some of us (including myself tbh - let's face it, here I am commenting on the commentary) are. And yes, obviously you can care about two of things at once - but...it's kind of extreme and it's less the individual crap tweet, more it being the top story. Y'know?
It wasn't really a top story anywhere. It was the equivalent of your racist uncle citing a single time bibles got confiscated from a school somewhere.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Kim Justice posted:

But...like, it couldn't be more middle class feminist to make up a tweet complaining about it, could it? With all the important current issues in the UK and around the world that are so worth commenting on...
==this is what boogie really believes==

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I had no idea House of Wax was so hosed up. Most 50s/60s stuff that tries so hard to be shocking comes off as quaint to modern eyes.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

==this is what boogie really believes==

It is not at all - he'd rather such ultimately inconsequential things be the main topic of discussion. You'll notice he never exactly says an awful lot when things like say, manspreading are on the table. Boogie would rather no one comment on the more contentous issues at all because it's impossible for anyone to do so in a way that doesn't make him whine "can't we all just get along? You're causing more extremists!". He thinks that if you give it 20 years people will magically stop thinking that trans folk are subhuman overnight.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In fairness, the Kleenex thing might have been small, but stuff like that does have an impact on the wider culture. And it was probably a very easy battle to fight, I doubt it was the only thing she was doing that week yknow? If you can fight the small, pervasive, visible sexism while also attacking the systemic causes, why not?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The pharmacy I work in sells hair dye and you'd be amazed how many men don't think the dye with ladies on the front will work on their hair. It's not Just For Men! It's *women's* hair dye!

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

There was a thread started on the Kleenex story on another forum I post on. It got quite a few 'idiot feminists' and 'stupid women' posts. I had a quick look at the Guardian story that was posted and found the original tweet about the 4yo was by some head of a PR company and the other was by someone who called themselves a marketing genius. The tags for the Guardian article were something like "Marketing & PR" and "Advertising". It's amazing how easily people get suckered by this type of poo poo.

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Christ just call the big ones "fancy cum rags tactical intimal and release actuator aids", yeeeeesh.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Jim rants about something that isn't loot boxes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj49X7Ahv_s

Before even watching this, I can tell from the dislikes that Jim must have been insufficiently reverent in his appraisal of Breath of the Wild.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'm one of the few people that thought botw was bad (and i'm a huge zelda fan) so i am here for it.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Harrow posted:

Before even watching this, I can tell from the dislikes that Jim must have been insufficiently reverent in his appraisal of Breath of the Wild.

Also the diehard Shenmue fanboys who get mad every time he (correctly) points out that having to wait around in real time for in game time to pass to complete objectives was one of the worst game design decisions ever made.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I was wrong, he barely talks about BotW at all. I think most of the salt is from RDR2 and Shenmue fans who, to be fair, Jim definitely seems to be intentionally antagonizing because it amuses him. Like, I'm not saying Jim is saying things he doesn't believe for clicks or anything, but that he's playing up his own opinions because it amuses him when those people get riled up.

Also the thing in his video that I disagree with the most is the idea that Dark Souls got weapon durability the closest to right, because it's the very definition of stupid busywork in that game. Weapon durability accomplishes almost nothing in any of the Souls games other than to punish you if you forget to repair your weapons for too long, to the point that Dark Souls 2 and 3 just made it fully automated.

I also disagree with a lot of the rest of the video, mostly because I don't think there's anything actually wrong with a game trying to do things beyond "just get to the next flashy thing as quickly as possible," but also I haven't played RDR2 yet so I don't know if it's actually doing that well or if it really is just tedious.

WampaLord posted:

Also the diehard Shenmue fanboys who get mad every time he (correctly) points out that having to wait around in real time for in game time to pass to complete objectives was one of the worst game design decisions ever made.

This is one of those things where, like... I totally get why it's cool to have the in-game world simulated really realistically, down to NPCs living their own lives and having realistic schedules and stuff. But that's why a lot of more modern games that do this sort of thing have "wait for a specific time" mechanics. Even if it would be "too unrealistic" to put that option in a menu somewhere, just let the player go to a coffee shop or bar and pick the "hang out here until <x> time" option so you're not just stuck waiting around.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 30, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Also the thing in his video that I disagree with the most is the idea that Dark Souls got weapon durability the closest to right, because it's the very definition of stupid busywork in that game. Weapon durability accomplishes almost nothing in any of the Souls games other than to punish you if you forget to repair your weapons for too long, to the point that Dark Souls 2 and 3 just made it fully automated.

Yeah the weapon durability in DS1 completely pointless. In DS2 it's mildly annoying (I only played with the 60 FPS bug though) and still mostly pointless. DS3 I didn't even remember that it existed.

Also Fire Emblem is right there :colbert:

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Harrow posted:

deo that I disagree with the most is the idea that Dark Souls got weapon durability the closest to right, because it's the very definition of stupid busywork in that game. Weapon durability accomplishes almost nothing in any of the Souls games other than to punish you if you forget to repair your weapons for too long, to the point that Dark Souls 2 and 3 just made it fully automated.

Isn't that the point he's trying to make, though? You mostly don't have to think about it but it's still a thing that can happen. The only times where it becomes more than an afterthought are when something is designed to eat durability or when fighting with weapons you can't repair.

But yeah also Fire Emblem is a thing. Mowing down that many bodies is gonna wear down a blade.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Isn't that the point he's trying to make, though? You mostly don't have to think about it but it's still a thing that can happen. The only times where it becomes more than an afterthought are when something is designed to eat durability or when fighting with weapons you can't repair.

I guess I'm thinking mostly about Dark Souls and Bloodborne, here. In those games, repairing is a manual process that costs a token number of souls/blood echoes. It's also something you have to do very, very rarely, to the point that a player could be forgiven for forgetting it's a mechanic entirely until they get a low durability notification while far away from a bonfire or in the middle of a boss fight. It's essentially just busywork that doesn't actually serve any in-game purpose at all.

If I recall correctly, Dark Souls 2 made weapons generally more fragile as an attempt to make players use a wider variety of weapons--the idea was that weapons would be repaired automatically at every bonfire, but it was realistic that some of them could wear down in the stretch between bonfires. The problem with that is that, after the first couple of areas, you need to start investing non-renewable resources into weapons to make sure they can do enough damage, and there generally aren't enough to keep more than a couple of weapons upgraded to a usable level. Dark Souls 3 ended up making it almost a complete non-mechanic by bringing weapons back up to DS1/Bloodborne durability levels while keeping the automatic repairs, to the point that they might as well have just removed it entirely.

The whole Dark Souls 2 "use a variety of weapons" thing is better realized by Breath of the Wild, which just makes weapons completely disposable, but that has its own problems. Specifically, there isn't enough actual weapon variety in BotW for it to actually matter much when you're forced to use new weapon types, because the game functionally only has three weapons: one-handed swinging weapon, two-handed swinging weapon, and two-handed thrusting weapon. The only real differences beyond that point are how fragile they are and how much damage they do. There are a couple of outliers (wands and boomerang-type blades) but those are mostly just minor variations on the one-handed swinging weapon.

I'm not really saying that weapon durability is never a good mechanic, and I think it's close to being a good mechanic in Breath of the Wild, just that Jim's example of a "good" durability system really isn't.

Incidentally, Breath of the Wild's durability system is maybe closer to Fire Emblem's than anything else, because ultimately the main effect is to make you use weaker weapons on weaker enemies and save your stronger weapons' durability for when you actually need it.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the ds2 durability problem was because they coded it based on FPS so they broke too quickly on pc. i can’t recall having to repair in any of the other games. resting at a bonfire repairs automatically.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

the ds2 durability problem was because they coded it based on FPS so they broke too quickly on pc. i can’t recall having to repair in any of the other games. resting at a bonfire repairs automatically.

Nah in DS1 you actually need to repair them at a blacksmith (or realistically from a bonfire after you bought the repairbox)

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Thankfully they repaired the system after a lot of complaining about the Scholar version having the same bug.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HopperUK posted:

The pharmacy I work in sells hair dye and you'd be amazed how many men don't think the dye with ladies on the front will work on their hair. It's not Just For Men! It's *women's* hair dye!

Also weapon durability bad. Its either A: Extremely intrusive to the point you don't want to use your good gear JUST IN CASE or B: Barely existent that will dick you over at the worst possible moment.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Leal posted:

Also weapon durability bad. Its either A: Extremely intrusive to the point you don't want to use your good gear JUST IN CASE or B: Barely existent that will dick you over at the worst possible moment.

Again, fire emblem is right there

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only good video game is Doom2016

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

DS2 actually does have lower base weapon durability than the other games, it's just that it's worse on the PC versions because of that FPS issue. The intention was to encourage players to use multiple weapons, if I recall correctly, but ultimately it didn't work, both for the reason I already mentioned (the investment required to make a weapon usable) and because weapons actually weren't fragile enough for it to matter. They didn't quite go far enough, and combined with the auto-repair at bonfires, a lot of players probably didn't notice durability too much (unless they were on PC).

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

CelticPredator posted:

We can't all be DOOM2016 but we can be DOOM Eternal.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

Indeed, it has the perfect durability system:

Your weapons will never break

The enemies break very easily.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Jenny comin in hot with Correct Opinions about Spooky Halloween being better than Scary Halloween

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZeVfn_8ajk

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

sexpig by night posted:

Jenny comin in hot with Correct Opinions about Spooky Halloween being better than Scary Halloween

The scariest thing about this video is the interlacing. I wonder what went wrong in the editing process there.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Andrast posted:

Again, fire emblem is right there
Yeah weapon durability in Fire Emblem is bad. They realized this and took it out for plot important weapons in later games.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Terrible Opinions posted:

Yeah weapon durability in Fire Emblem is bad. They realized this and took it out for plot important weapons in later games.

The weapon durability is an incredibly important part of the design in most fire emblems.

There's a reason they are bringing it back in the new one after Fates didn't have it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Andrast posted:

The weapon durability is an incredibly important part of the design in most fire emblems.

There's a reason they are bringing it back in the new one after Fates didn't have it.

Fates took it out? Haha excuse me while I break everything with my cyan silver blade with maximum crit.

Durability in Fire Emblem is very good.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Fates took it out? Haha excuse me while I break everything with my cyan silver blade with maximum crit.

Durability in Fire Emblem is very good.

Yeah, only staves have durability in fates.

The game worked fine without it (even if the weapon balance was kind of questionable) but it did obviously affect how stuff was designed.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Harrow posted:

DS2 actually does have lower base weapon durability than the other games, it's just that it's worse on the PC versions because of that FPS issue. The intention was to encourage players to use multiple weapons, if I recall correctly, but ultimately it didn't work, both for the reason I already mentioned (the investment required to make a weapon usable) and because weapons actually weren't fragile enough for it to matter. They didn't quite go far enough, and combined with the auto-repair at bonfires, a lot of players probably didn't notice durability too much (unless they were on PC).

It would have worked if weapons like the Washing Pole actually did ridiculous damage, functionally making them into a kind of cooldown where you save it for an important part because it's gonna break after one fight, but that conflicts with the other game systems and is arguably still a bad system because of the way that players conceptualize equipment. It is shockingly hard for games to train players to be comfortable with rapidly disposing of items.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Weapon durability kind of sucks conceptually as it almost always just translates to busy work though it’s really bad in BOTW

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Weapon durability kind of sucks conceptually as it almost always just translates to busy work though it’s really bad in BOTW

The games where it works best tend to be ones where the default character is already capable and weapons serve mostly as temporary powerups that only last a minute or so in-game, so there's a flow of grabbing a weapon and using it to take out 3 or 4 enemies before discarding it and grabbing another. Hotline Miami manages this really well, but it's also a game where the average lifespan of a weapon is probably around ten seconds.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

sexpig by night posted:

This is incredibly minor but I really appreciate that instead of the same old copy-pasted social media links, Jenny always themes the descriptions after the video. I'm not sure any other internet youtube person does this, at least I haven't noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

FoldableHuman posted:

The games where it works best tend to be ones where the default character is already capable and weapons serve mostly as temporary powerups that only last a minute or so in-game, so there's a flow of grabbing a weapon and using it to take out 3 or 4 enemies before discarding it and grabbing another. Hotline Miami manages this really well, but it's also a game where the average lifespan of a weapon is probably around ten seconds.

The reason I think it almost works in Breath of the Wild is because you can't repair items. If you could repair them, their fragility would quickly translate into busywork. Because they're wholly disposable, though, it turns into a system that encourages you to be a scavenger, using whatever you can pick up. I used to compare it to guns in Halo, where you often end up using whatever your enemies are using against you and you sometimes have to stop using a weapon you like because that's not what enemies are dropping ammo for.

The reason I think it falls short of really shining is because the lack of weapon variety means that all you're really doing is using the same weapon over and over but sometimes it does more or less damage. It's not actually like Halo because, rather than having a handful of different guns that all behave very differently, you functionally just have three weapon types and sometimes they're just more or less fancy-looking. Because enemy health values scale through the roof, the system ends up stumbling backwards into an entirely different kind of busywork, where you either go on runs to refresh your collection of high-damage weapons regularly (for example, by revisiting combat challenge shrines for Guardian weapons) or you chip away at enemies' health slowly with weak weapons and bombs. Or just avoid combat altogether because it's just a resource drain.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Oct 30, 2018