Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
There may be, but my company is the same way and that would be a violation for us, since they consider information in calendar invites to potentially be sensitive / proprietary etc.

They even turned off Apple Calendar sync on our MacBooks because it doesn’t require 2FA.

So be careful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

There is probably a way to do it via like gmail or something and then have the iPhone sync from that but yeah like the dude above said it might be a violation of policy.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

The Dave posted:

I realize this isn’t an ios question but I’m going to ask anyway:

So I work for a company that doesn’t allow non company phones to sync with their exchange servers, and I don’t have a company phone (and don’t want one) so it’s really annoying to need to rely on my laptop to see cal events. Is there anyway to automatically duplicate calendar events with a new calendar that syncs to my phone? A one time sync seems easy but I’m not sure how to do something that stays up to date.

Does your company use office 365 and if so do you have access to Flow?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a Shortcuts update that now lets you set alarms, check the weather, convert units, and some other stuff.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

benisntfunny posted:

I just discovered Flow and it's the bees knees! We rolled out 365 a few years ago and no one told us about all these great apps other than office and sharepoint.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can blame google for using a proprietary protocol. Google says there’s a stand-alone Google Tasks app though.

Not really sure what this means. Reminders will show up and stay in the notifications pull down if you ignore it. Pretty sure you can also force touch it and “snooze” it for 15/60 minutes or at least you can on a Mac.

I expected Google Calendar to show the red icons for reminders that have triggered but haven’t been marked as done. But it doesn’t show any of those. Which is fine if you use the notification centre on iOS but I don’t.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

benisntfunny posted:

It looks like they were smart enough to not authorize our mailboxes for outlook flow connections.

I'm not concerned about policy at the moment, just want to know what's possible. My desktop OSX calendar app currently can load it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
It looks like they added back the “view all in app purchases” thing in the store.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Is there some photo backup solution that actually runs in the background or have I hosed up my Google Photos setup somehow? I feel like I have to constantly go into the app for it to actually upload my photos to the cloud, which is a pain in the rear end if I forget for a month and have to wait for like 100 photos to upload.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Protocol7 posted:

Is there some photo backup solution that actually runs in the background or have I hosed up my Google Photos setup somehow? I feel like I have to constantly go into the app for it to actually upload my photos to the cloud, which is a pain in the rear end if I forget for a month and have to wait for like 100 photos to upload.

The solution is to give $Tim$ $1/month for expanded iCloud storage and then just using iCloud Photo backups.

It's pretty great and you only need to pay for it if the free 5GB isn't enough for you which it probably isn't. But this will make photo backups automatic and in the background.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Protocol7 posted:

Yeah that is just how it works and it kinda sucks.

I actually do both. I pay for the cloud back up but I'll open google / amazon photos every so often and let it run.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I turned off iCloud photo backups and just let Google Photos do it all. Even has a handy “delete all photos and videos that are backed up” button if/when I need to free up space on the phone.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Don’t know, my google photos are backed up and I haven’t opened the app on my phone since the day after ios12 came out (nor on my iPad until I just opened it now to check).

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I'm not even sure of this is the correct thread for this, but here's a weird issue I'm having and I'm wondering if anyone else is: I use my iPads (Gen 2 and Air 2) pretty extensively for reading. I tend to use a variety of formats, but usually go for ePub as my default format type for reading actual books (as opposed to pdfs and comics). I use OneDrive for storage (ProPlus account through work, so storage for days) and open epubs in that app, then copy to iBooks, which has worked fine for years. Last week or so, though, I'd noticed that OneDrive was now previewing epub files, which it didn't do before, but then when copying to iBooks, they weren't retaining any sort of formatting and low light mode didn't work with them. This was even happening on books I'd previously had saved to iBooks. After some troubleshooting, I found that for some reason, OneDrive itself is somehow converting epub files to PDF which breaks all of the epub formatting. I found this by opening a file in the Kindle app, which immediately reported that it was a pdf and wanted to convert it. I then copied that exact file from OneDrive to DropBox and opened it correctly in iBooks. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, were you able to resolve it?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Since the OP doesn't really weigh in on them:

Alternate keyboards: They're supported now, but I've never used any - dumb question: should I be using one? Like is this one of those things that people swear by, or is it just a preferential thing?

Podcast App alternatives: Any really worth using? The base app seem to do the job for me, but I've heard people gripe about it plenty, am I missing out on some good stuff provided by alternatives? Is switching going to be a hassle?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Overcast is probably the podcast app you'll see recommended the most often - the smart speed and faster playback (I swear by 1.1x with Smart Speed) doesn't sound remotely robotic or altered. Pocket Casts and Downcast are the other two biggies. I've used all 3 over the course of several years and settled on Overcast mainly due to the quality of its smart speed. If you want to do detailed playlist management, the other apps are probably better though.

Switching shouldn't be a hassle so long as the default Podcasts app lets you export an OPML file which you can then import into the other apps to keep all your subscriptions - the only thing that won't transfer over is anything that tracked what episodes you had currently downloaded or "Played" markers on individual episodes.

Curious to see if third party keyboards are worth using now, though - they were definitely not well supported the last time I tried, but I do miss having swipe typing or quicker access to punctuation.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I have never used an alternative keyboard and I don't really see a point in them.

For podcasting people generally use Overcast. It's free and the subscription just removes a very non-intrusive advert and some other minor things. The trim silence feature is really neat. Another app I've tried for a while was Castro but it doesn't support multi-device sync, has no iPad app, and require an ongoing subscription to use. There's also Pocketcasts and if in-podcast advertisements are to be believed, one called Stitcher.

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

I've been using Gboard since I asked about Swype a few months ago. I've adjusted to it, but it still has some dumb quirks like if you're starting a word with m there's a good chance you'll hit the backspace key and delete your previous word, word recognition isn't as good as Swype (still great), and I'm still not exactly sure how adding words to its dictionary works (I've had words disappear after not using them for a little while. word recognition on added words is noticably worse). still way faster than the default keyboard though

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Oxyclean posted:

Since the OP doesn't really weigh in on them:

Alternate keyboards: They're supported now, but I've never used any - dumb question: should I be using one? Like is this one of those things that people swear by, or is it just a preferential thing?

Podcast App alternatives: Any really worth using? The base app seem to do the job for me, but I've heard people gripe about it plenty, am I missing out on some good stuff provided by alternatives? Is switching going to be a hassle?

I gave up on alternative keyboards because they were incredibly lovely and buggy when they first came out and never went back to them.

Pocketcasts is great if you have any part of your podcast listening chain that isn't an iOS device.

EdsTeioh posted:

I'm not even sure of this is the correct thread for this, but here's a weird issue I'm having and I'm wondering if anyone else is: I use my iPads (Gen 2 and Air 2) pretty extensively for reading. I tend to use a variety of formats, but usually go for ePub as my default format type for reading actual books (as opposed to pdfs and comics). I use OneDrive for storage (ProPlus account through work, so storage for days) and open epubs in that app, then copy to iBooks, which has worked fine for years. Last week or so, though, I'd noticed that OneDrive was now previewing epub files, which it didn't do before, but then when copying to iBooks, they weren't retaining any sort of formatting and low light mode didn't work with them. This was even happening on books I'd previously had saved to iBooks. After some troubleshooting, I found that for some reason, OneDrive itself is somehow converting epub files to PDF which breaks all of the epub formatting. I found this by opening a file in the Kindle app, which immediately reported that it was a pdf and wanted to convert it. I then copied that exact file from OneDrive to DropBox and opened it correctly in iBooks. Has anyone else had this issue, and if so, were you able to resolve it?

I only have commercial epub files, but the workflow you described preserves formatting for me when going from onedrive to ibooks. Is there any difference if you save to files from one drive, then open that in Apple Books vs using the "Send to Apple Books" option?

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I really wish Apple would put out a swipe keyboard.

Most third party keyboards require internet access to work, and there's no way I'm trusting them to not abuse that priv.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I use Overcast and used to use Downcast. Heard good things about Castro but haven't used it.

Downcast has tons of settings. If you have very particular preferences, Downcast might be the way to go.

Boris Galerkin posted:

if in-podcast advertisements are to be believed, one called Stitcher.
oh, stitcher :allears:

In the early iphone/ipod touch days, Stitcher was total junk. They'd rehost podcasts on their own server and compress the hell out of them. I guess it was good if you really had to stream all of your podcasts over your unlimited 3g plan.

They run their own directory and require(d?) included podcasts to mention Stitcher on-air, which is why the end of every major podcast lists a half-dozen ways to listen to the podcasts you already downloaded that just so happens to mention Stitcher. (Most podcast apps use Apple's directory.)

They got bought out by Scripps' podcast advertising division, stopped recompressing podcasts, and allegedly suck less now. Apparently they're pushing a premium subscription thing now trying to be "the netflix of podcasts".

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 12, 2018

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You can sometimes pick up a years sub to Stitcher for something ludicrous like $4, which is neat. It's worth that just to listen to Teacher's Lounge, honestly. The app isn't great though, so lots of people use the RSS feeds you can generate with your username/password and use Overcast or similar.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What podcast is the Teachers’ Lounge? Is it a Stitch exclusive?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Krispy Wafer posted:

What podcast is the Teachers’ Lounge? Is it a Stitch exclusive?

Seems like it’s a comedy podcast. It’s an improv group doing a podcast as a cast of teachers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah, if long form world building improv isn’t your thing then skip it, but it’s incredibly funny in my opinion. First season is free on Earwolf still I believe.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is there such thing as an app that I can install on both my Mac and iPhone, that will let me send (rich) notifications to my iPhone from my Mac? I don't want to mirror my notifications and I don't need two-way communication, I just wanna be able to type a thing on my Mac and push a button to send it to my phone a notification.

My end goal is to be able to send a notification from my Mac to my iPhone with the url
shortcuts://run-shortcut?name=MyShortcut
so that I can tap on the notification and have it run the Shortcut. Currently I'm doing this with an IFTTT trigger but if I can ditch the third party service that would be better.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pushbullet?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
the reverse would be to make a shortcut widget that does Run Script over SSH to your mac, gets whatever data you want, then uses Run Shortcut

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

hey girl you up posted:

the reverse would be to make a shortcut widget that does Run Script over SSH to your mac, gets whatever data you want, then uses Run Shortcut

The whole point is I wanna send it from Mac to iPhone, so this doesn’t work.

Pushbullet might work but it was last updated 2 years ago so it seems like it’s dead.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Pushover can probably do it and is still alive and kicking pushing.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Boris Galerkin posted:

The whole point is I wanna send it from Mac to iPhone, so this doesn’t work.

Pushbullet might work but it was last updated 2 years ago so it seems like it’s dead.

I still use Pushbullet between my work PC and my iPhone.

The only wonky thing with it is the notification dismisses itself very quickly.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Thwomp posted:

The only wonky thing with it is the notification dismisses itself very quickly.
If you go to Settings > Notifications, you can set specific apps to have a persistent banner that doesn’t go away until you interact with it.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

Can anyone recommend a camera app that will shoot in 16:9?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

We haven't talked about podcast apps for a minute.

Pocket Casts 7 is out: https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/14/18094835/pocket-casts-7-app-features-redesign-podcasts-ios-android

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I updated earlier and checked the new stats page, which kindly let me know that since I started using Pocket Casts in June, I've listened to 15 days worth of podcasts :shepicide:

At least I haven't been using this as my podcast app ever since I started listening to podcasts regularly years ago. That number would be something staggering if so.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Been a while since I've used Pocket Casts but the robo voice is somewhat tolerable. It's not Overcast level, but good enough for 1.3x, my average playback speed.

Edit: 1.5x seems fine too actually.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I updated earlier and checked the new stats page, which kindly let me know that since I started using Pocket Casts in June, I've listened to 15 days worth of podcasts :shepicide:

At least I haven't been using this as my podcast app ever since I started listening to podcasts regularly years ago. That number would be something staggering if so.

Yeah but it’s not like you’re sitting there on your hands while Ira Glass tells you stories, right?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
If a man wants to listen to podcasts while milking his prostate, who the gently caress are you to judge?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

If a man wants to listen to podcasts while milking his prostate, who the gently caress are you to judge?

We do... a lot of things... while listening to podcasts. Some people... drive to work. Others... play video games. Today, on This American Life... we’ll hear from a man who... milks... his prostate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Weedle posted:

We do... a lot of things... while listening to podcasts. Some people... drive to work. Others... play video games. Today, on This American Life... we’ll hear from a man who... milks... his prostate.

Sponsored by MailChimp. When you need to send email marketing on today’s state of prostate milking.

MailChimp dot com.