Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Patrovsky posted:

Unfortunately, we didn't have a good outcome.

Apparently the blockage was in the bowel as the result of egg yolk leaking from the uterus, so the damage was a bit too much for it to be viable to fix.

Mum is going to pick her up tomorrow, and they will bury her under a nice tree.

So :shrug:. For the first time in twenty years, I'm birdless.

omg :(

My heart is breaking for you...even tho we don't know each other other than here, I am sending you lots of hugs your way. Feel free to vent...I can only imagine how I would feel if I were in your shoes. She had a good life, and she knew she was loved as much as she loved you. Can't ask for more than that out of life! Before you know it, she will have sent another little friend to you to be loved like she was...she will pick out a good one for you!

<3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Bird Crazies posted:

kind words

Thank-you all for your support. Every time we got an update, I got a little more used to the idea of living in a world without her in it, but that doesn't mean that I didn't cry my eyes out when I got the news. In some ways, it helps that I'm so far away from home at the moment, because I'm not expecting to get woken up by a bird indignant that it's 6:01am, why hasn't anyone taken the cover off yet?

I would say that she would appreciate your words, but let's be honest, she would most definitely be screeching at the perceived invasion of her personal space.

If you haven't already, please give your bird a scratch, and a cuddle and maybe a little treat. Rustle the chip packet, and wait for the frantic whistles of begging.

I don't think I'll be in a position to get another bird for a while, but we'll see.

But again, thank-you all for everything.

eta: the final resting place.

Patrovsky fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Oct 24, 2018

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I was watching some tv after work and fell asleep in front of the TV. I woke up to my bird imitating my snoring.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Terra the baby 'tiel update:

Next year I'm gonna make him wear a hat, and possibly teach him how to hand out candy

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Teaching a parrot to throw candy out of a bowl sounds supremely doable given how they react to food they don't like. You'd just hold the bowl out and the kids would try to catch the flinging candy.

Now I know what I'm going to be doing with my grey when I finally get one.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Now, how do you teach the parrot to stop throwing candy?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Faerie Fortune posted:

Terra the baby 'tiel update:

Next year I'm gonna make him wear a hat, and possibly teach him how to hand out candy

perfect for halloween when u have the one group with the guy who has a terminal case of birb weirds.

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
aww those baby fluffenchops :3

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

where the hell did you get that borb? she's so magnificently tame and comfortable already it's breaking my brain and melting my heart :kimchi:

good breeder god drat

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

Strangely enough I looked for cockatiel breeders on pets4homes and found this one guy who lives pretty close to me in Bradford! I called him on a whim, asked about the birds and if I could come visit them and he was super knowledgeable and willing to answer pretty much every question I had about their health and all that!

When we went to pick Terra up, the guy made sure we knew what to feed him, asked if we had a cage and toys for him already, gave us some advice on if he didn't want to eat solid food since he'd just been weaned and gave us some millet because "its his favourite, if he won't eat, he'll at least eat that". He even called me the day after we brought him home to ask if he was settling in okay and if there were any problems!

For anyone in the area, this is the ad I looked at, Terra is the rear end in a top hat sitting on his siblings in the second picture. The big grey and lutino 'tiels on the edge of the box are his parents and they're total sweethearts too

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Hey folx, long time no talk!

The monsters are doing fairly well, but something traumatic is about to happen and I'm not sure how to best handle the fall out - Ashynn and I are breaking up and she's taking Pemka [the cockatiel] with her while very pointedly refusing Beryl [the conure]. Neither have been only birds ever and while she worked from home... I do not.

The place we got them has a beautiful and well-mannered turquoise mutation greencheek and I'm incredibly tempted to get her to help keep the existant greencheek company but I'm not sure if thats a good idea..

e: sorry that I only like, ever come here with problems! More cute pictures in a bit to make up for it

DrakIris fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 26, 2018

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOxn2x9tp2E

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/LbXeqqe.mp4

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

I wish Crouton were this placid, but instead she's full of vinegar and fury. I still love her stupid face though

e: though that's a Galbedir and I can tell with absolute certainty from a sample size of n=1 that all Galbedir coloured lovebirds are perfect angels full of gentleness and good will. If he weren't so besotted with his horrible abusive tsundere girlfriend I could probably train him to be that friendly.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I love Buttons, he seems like such a happy, loved bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZPPFiBP3EU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Tendai posted:

I love Buttons, he seems like such a happy, loved bird

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZPPFiBP3EU

cracker?

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

cracker is yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4q-I94WsMaI

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

There are at least three of these in every office paper shredder.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Crouton and Galbedir are currently yelling at this video.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
they sound like tiny typewriters that beep instead of going ding :swoon:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

You ever walk into a bird store with your S.O. and you completely fall for a tiny little cutie who immediately warms up to you both, then you spend the next day and a half literally (figuratively (maybe)) scrounging together the money for that bird and associated costs, taking personal inventories making sure we can take care of this bird, and generally just spend some time being giddy at the though of a bird?

Because my girlfriend and I totally fell in love with a canary winged parakeet. I mean, he already poo poo on both of us, so we're in, right?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the poop pact is sealed

Veritas
Aug 20, 2003
So the pixel 3 takes waaaay better pics than my old busted phone.

Tito Tmonday pic

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Any advice on sterilizing a probably fertile egg? I've heard shaking them thoroughly but that feels like it might be unreliable...

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

StarMinstrel posted:

Any advice on sterilizing a probably fertile egg? I've heard shaking them thoroughly but that feels like it might be unreliable...

Pretty sure 15 seconds in the microwave will do the trick. Or boil it for a minute.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Veritas posted:

So the pixel 3 takes waaaay better pics than my old busted phone.

Tito Tmonday pic

Chubby little beep :3:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Kenshin posted:

Pretty sure 15 seconds in the microwave will do the trick. Or boil it for a minute.

whelp, they all blew up after 10 secs. Hopefully she doesn't strain herself too much compensating with more, since it's her first successful laying. At least my hen hasn't shown much interest in them (she's not even laying them in a nest nor properly covering them.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

StarMinstrel posted:

whelp, they all blew up after 10 secs. Hopefully she doesn't strain herself too much compensating with more, since it's her first successful laying. At least my hen hasn't shown much interest in them (she's not even laying them in a nest nor properly covering them.
Oh dear.

Clearly I was wrong about the 15 seconds thing.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

In the future just shake the poo poo out of them, it's reliable.

If you can get to a pet store quickly you could buy a couple fakes as well and put those back in so she doesn't attempt to lay more.

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Kenshin posted:

Oh dear.

Clearly I was wrong about the 15 seconds thing.

No worries, I don't think it'll be too bad since she definitely has been completely ignoring the eggs and seems to be feeding well and getting her daily calcium. I'm mostly happy that she was able to lay since her first time trying that last year she became egg bound and was saved by a good vet. I feared that she just would never have the genetics to properly lay. So this is all good. (Also she's a 6 years old Budgie so I'm quite surprised at how late her egg laying came)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Yeah, a microwave will certainly make an egg explode.

Serra Sunday will be back next week, I haven't had a drat good picture to post!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've also heard that sticking eggs in the freezer for a bit will work.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

I keep dreaming about birds :(

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Patrovsky posted:

I keep dreaming about birds :(

:sympathy:

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Fake eggs are great. You can order them online too in various sizes for reasonable rates. The ones I got are so good Crouton prefers them to her real eggs and will kick it out of the nest and squish it so she can keep her superior plastic babies.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Ughh, something's up with my finches, especially my hen. Dirty wet vent + big fluid poops, with no solids (just a sort of powdery brown mush)... They're still very active, but something is obviously not right. They changed diet a little while ago from harrison high potency to harrison adult lifetime, but the hens droppings looked a bit off before I changed too. It got better for a while, but now it's as bad or worse than it was before... I've disinfected their cage thoroughly recently and will do it again today. I'm going to put them back on a seed diet for a day or two just to see if dropping consistency changes...

Any suggestions? I'm getting worried :/

Pippu is thriving on the other hand. Rapidly becoming more tame and social. Getting the hang of stepping up and test flying in a smaller room, and is very vocal and enthusiastic when we get back from work. He's obsessed with my phone and want to chew on it when he's out. He even took a selfie! Pippu poosday

I love him/her :derptiel:

Truck Stop Daddy fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Oct 30, 2018

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Fake eggs are great. You can order them online too in various sizes for reasonable rates. The ones I got are so good Crouton prefers them to her real eggs and will kick it out of the nest and squish it so she can keep her superior plastic babies.

Addling eggs works, but fakes are imo the right answer

If you provide fakes, you get to dessicate the real eggs (addle then add time) and "paint" them by iteratively masking them with wax patterns then dipping them in dyes. I have several of my past birds eggs that that look like the simpler versions of these:

It's easier than it looks, as in uncoordinated young children can do it and do so well.

Holiday gift pro tip if you're with a bird crazy, do this and watch your significant other cry.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 30, 2018

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Won't be able to think about anything else til 5:30, which is when I go to pick up my bird.

That's right, I will soon be a birded gentleman.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

Is it worth risking falling in love, to spend an hour or so doling out scritches?

Yes, yes it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the gray is blushing at you