Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

euphronius posted:

It’s not really an article. It’s a list of tweets.

If the choice is that or 40,000 words, I'll take tweetposts every time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Lock it In is missing one thing from being a pretty good mid-day show for FS1, and that one thing is ‘panelists not named Clay Travis’.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Edward Mass posted:

Lock it In is missing one thing from being a pretty good mid-day show for FS1, and that one thing is ‘panelists not named Clay Travis’.

It’s really annoying that he’s on that show.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Well the four man booth for the Eagles@Jags game wasn't terrible, and whoever was directing traffic in there did a superb job of not having four competing voices talking over each other, as well as bringing in both sideline reporters. Mooch was probably the worst of the four, Eisen took a few series to get into a groove, but Michael Irvin was practically revelatory. No bombast, just calm methodical analysis when called upon

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Yeah that was much less bad than it could have been and you're right that Irvin was way better at it than he is in studio. I'm also surprised no one have given Warner a regular TV color gig yet

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Well the four man booth for the Eagles@Jags game wasn't terrible, and whoever was directing traffic in there did a superb job of not having four competing voices talking over each other, as well as bringing in both sideline reporters. Mooch was probably the worst of the four, Eisen took a few series to get into a groove, but Michael Irvin was practically revelatory. No bombast, just calm methodical analysis when called upon

Everything I've seen with him seems to be he plays up an act when the spotlight is on him and for attention, but he isnt dumb and could honestly probably be a decent announcer.

But only white cowboys get announcing gigs, black dudes gotta go yell on daytime shows to make a buck.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean I don't think anyone actually wants to hear Emmitt try to talk for an entire game but then again if Witten gets to why not

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

iwentdoodie posted:

Everything I've seen with him seems to be he plays up an act when the spotlight is on him and for attention, but he isnt dumb and could honestly probably be a decent announcer.

But only white cowboys get announcing gigs, black dudes gotta go yell on daytime shows to make a buck.

I'd be genuinely interested in a booth of Eisen, Irvin and Warner for random broadcasts if they do down this route again

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/markjburns88/status/1056941771274493952?s=21

:stare:

LeBatard Show almost doubled up the #2 podcast below it

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/BackAftaThis/status/1056992570461564935

lol

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FlamingLiberal posted:

https://twitter.com/markjburns88/status/1056941771274493952?s=21

LeBatard Show almost doubled up the #2 podcast below it

It might help that his show is genuinely enjoyable, doesn't fall into hot take land, and they know how to have fun.

Also Papi.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

And the cherry on top of this:

deadspin posted:

Matt Vasgersian hasn’t called a football game in almost a decade and he left Fox to join ESPN’s baseball team early this year.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

lmao

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

that account is so obsessed with francesa it's scary

like he could be the only subscriber to his pathetic app

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

iospace posted:

It might help that his show is genuinely enjoyable, doesn't fall into hot take land, and they know how to have fun.

Also Papi.
Papi’s not usually on the radio show

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I miss Jerry Remy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

FlamingLiberal posted:

Papi’s not usually on the radio show

He does all the bumpers though

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G8xGeNSv2Q

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Papi is the best and greatest.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

WS ratings were down double digits

Awful Announcing posted:

As for TV ratings, it was a mixed bag for MLB. Turner’s coverage was up from both 2016 and 2017. ESPN’s Wild Card game broadcast was up from last year. Fox’s coverage heading into the World Series was down from last year, and the NLCS resulted in particularly disappointing ratings and viewership. The World Series, which many had high hopes for given the LA and Boston markets involved, has taken a bath, with the first four games all down (and Games 2, 3, and 4 all seeing double digit drops). Overall, the Postseason is going to finish down from both 2016 and 2017, which stems the flow of good news for MLB Postseason ratings from the last two years.

Sure, maybe it’s not “fair” to compare the 2018 World Series to either 2016 or 2017, but this World Series is trending lower than Royals-Mets from 2015. That’s not the comparison you want, and while overall viewership will probably surpass both the 2012 and 2014 matchups, we could end up looking at one of the five least viewed World Series matchups ever. That’s inconceivable, and represents a massive step back for Major League Baseball.

Sports Media Watch posted:

The final game of the World Series hit a series-high in the overnight ratings — and trounced Sunday Night Football — but was still no match for last year.

Sunday’s Red Sox-Dodgers World Series Game 5 earned a 12.3 overnight rating on FOX, down 4% from Dodgers-Astros last year (12.8) and down 20% from Indians-Cubs in 2016 (15.3).

The 12.3 is the third-highest for a World Series Game 5 since 2009 (Yankees-Phillies: 12.8). Last year and 2016 hold the top spots. Boston’s title-clinching win topped the previous Game 5 clincher — Royals-Mets in 2015 — by 5% (vs. 11.7).

Head-to-head, Game 5 trounced the competing Saints-Vikings Sunday Night Football game on NBC (9.5). The World Series has beaten SNF in three straight years, each time by at least 27%.

Game 5 delivered the highest overnight of the World Series, well ahead of the previous mark of 10.0 for Game 1.

Despite the strong numbers, Game 5 closed out a clean sweep of declines for the World Series. All five games declined from both last year and 2016.

Game 5 drew a 43.2 rating in Boston, up 12% from the Red Sox’ previous World Series Game 5 in 2013 (38.5). Compared to Boston’s previous World Series clinchers, overnights fell 22% from Game 6 in 2013 (55.2), 22% from Game 4 in 2007 (55.3) and 27% from Game 4 in 2004 (59.0).

The game had a 26.0 rating in Los Angeles, down 21% from last year’s Game 5 (32.8).

SMW has charts on every series' ratings going back to 1972 here for the curious. Cubs/Indians game 7 did an absolutely absurd 40 million viewers and 21.8 rating, numbers that haven't been seen since the 2001 Yanks/DBacks game 7.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Half the problem I think is that people saw how Boston handled the Yankees and the Astros and pretty much tuned out when the WS rolled around, assuming that a Red Sox win was a foregone conclusion.

They were right.

The other problem is that of the four LCS teams, only one hadn't made the WS in the current decade, and both teams that haven't won it in the current century were on the NL side. So you'd have the following scenarios:

1. Rematch of 2017 in LA vs Houston, which was a great WS, so it would have drawn some intrigue to see if LA could win this time.
2. "Ratings Darling", LA vs Boston, which we saw
3. Big vs Small, Milwaukee vs Boston, which may have done decently enough (but hard to say because Milwaukee is a "small market")
4. Domes!, Milwaukee vs Houston, which also may have done decently

Milwaukee is weird because it's "small but fiercely loyal". Houston I can't make judgement on. Boston has a bandwagon fanbase that will watch, but can potentially alienate more casual fans who are annoyed at the bandwagoners. LA had loving empty seats in the NLCS.

iospace fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Oct 30, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
there are empty seats at the start of Dodger games because they all started at like 5 pm local time or earlier and it's maybe just slightly harder to get places on time in loving Los Angeles than it is in Milwaukee. It's not because people don't care about the Dodgers

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Oct 30, 2018

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yeah if your game starts at 5PM local time in a major city like LA, it's not going to have full seats. I don't care what team it is.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'd buy it if it wasn't for the fact those seats stayed empty throughout the game.

e: I'm not talking upper deck seats either, I'm talking lower bowl, hundreds if not thousands of dollars a ticket seats. Namely the people who have the capability to to go up to their boss (if they're not the boss) and go "I'm going to the game, sorry"

iospace fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Oct 30, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

MourningView posted:

there are empty seats at the start of Dodger games because they all started at like 5 pm local time or earlier and it's maybe just slightly harder to get places on time in loving Los Angeles than it is in Milwaukee. It's not because people don't care about the Dodgers

My eastern time zone mind recoils at the thought of game 3 having a 7pm local start time.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

howe_sam posted:

My eastern time zone mind recoils at the thought of game 3 having a 7pm local start time.

Last year the Giants played a 17-inning 5 1/2 hour game that started at 715 local

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MourningView posted:

if only someone had a highly implausible and stupid plan to get fans to dodger games earlier

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
I am a huge Baseball Guy and I nearly turned off the World Series when they started jamming 10 second ads IN THE MIDDLE OF AN AT BAT.

"The count is 0-2...and now, a quick word from Duracell!"

I know the next time a league or network turns down ad money will be the first. I wish they'd have a little concern for the quality of their broadcast.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

umpires enforcing the rules on the books would go a long way to helping that. WHen there's what feels like 20 minutes between every pitch then it's not too surprising advertisers want those spots filled with reads

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

DJExile posted:

umpires enforcing the rules on the books would go a long way to helping that. WHen there's what feels like 20 minutes between every pitch then it's not too surprising advertisers want those spots filled with reads

Conversely I wouldn't be surprised if umps were being told to hold up ABs for ad reads.

Pace of play is a good thing to consider but the major problem is that the most effective strategies for today's game are also the "ugliest." Long ABs, lots of time to think about each pitch, frequent pitching changes, swinging for the fences, and multiple relievers throwing 98 that rack up strikeouts on hitters who are willing to sell out for power. There isn't an easy solution.

zakharov fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 30, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A bigger, heavier ball.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

if only someone had a highly implausible and stupid plan to get fans to dodger games earlier

Pick up prostitutes so that you can use the carpool lane?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Mahoning posted:

Would be cheaper and more effective than Musk's Dodger Stadium hyperloop thingie

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Spoeank posted:

Would be cheaper and more effective than Musk's Dodger Stadium hyperloop thingie

on the other hand, think of all the poors you would have to see driving with the masses

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

zakharov posted:

Conversely I wouldn't be surprised if umps were being told to hold up ABs for ad reads.

the umps aren't holding anything up, they're not telling batters to step back after every pitch to go through another 40 second routine of adjustments and ball scratches

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

like with the cubs’ drought over what else can approach those kinds of ratings

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Spoeank posted:

And you might end up unknowingly exonerating a wrongly accused man of murder!

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Mahoning posted:

OK but the empty seat problem isn't solved if people keep buying them up in honor of their dead parents

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/1057307390931095553

https://twitter.com/bkoo/status/1057336120684486656