Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

Hi there! Me (Joe) and my sister ginko (Katie) are looking to sleuth our way through The Return of the Obra Dinn together!

What the heck is this game? Wikipedia does a good job summing that up concisely...

quote:

Return of the Obra Dinn is a puzzle video game by Lucas Pope, released in October 2018 for Microsoft Windows and macOS. It is Pope's first game following 2013's Papers, Please.
The game is set aboard a fictional East India Company ghost ship whose crew and passengers have all mysteriously died, with the game's objective being to discover how.

It is very much a game about uncovering the mystery of this boat and it does it in a very fun and intriguing way. My sister and I initially did a video to check it out and immediately decided to do a full playthrough. We will be playing this blind.

:siren:This is a chill playthrough, we're not really sure if this will be 100% or if we have the option to do anything but 100%:siren:

As this is a blind playthrough please keep the thread Spoiler free up to the point of the latest video. Videos will typically go up Monday and Friday.

Preface:

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6
Part 7
Part 8
Part 9
Part 10
Part 11
Part 12

Full Playlist

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 7, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Reserved

Katie's Art

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 7, 2018

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Heck yeah, I was super curious about this game and the Witness LP was a fun time. Will definitely be following this one.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
As a heads up, this game is super good, but seeing someone play it will really alter your experience. A lot of the game is the discovery. Just in case people think they want to experience it for themselves.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Heck yeah, I was super curious about this game and the Witness LP was a fun time. Will definitely be following this one.

Glad to hear it!! We're excited to keep going with this

JossiRossi posted:

As a heads up, this game is super good, but seeing someone play it will really alter your experience. A lot of the game is the discovery. Just in case people think they want to experience it for themselves.

100% agree, same goes for a lot of mystery games as part of the fun is solving it yourself.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I'll happily admit I got the game after seeing you post about in the sandcastle, and it's absolutely one of the best games I've played in recent memory! :)

Fair warning though, I'm not 100% certain a blind LP is the best way to show it off, since a lot of the really interesting part of the game is going back and forth through the timeline to figure things out: especially with how the game expects you to piece things together from rather minor clues here and there, and in many cases you won't even know that something is a relevant clue until much later after you first encounter it. (this goes doubly so if you, like me, are late on the uptake on just how observant you're expected to be, and that's it's a very good idea to start drawing conclusions about the crew members identities early on, heh) I'm sure it can be done well with a blind LP too however, as long as you're prepared for it and excited about doing some heavy editing!

It's really one of those kind of games that seem really hard to LP to me, though a VLP is absolutely the best choice given the amazing visual style and atmosphere.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Covski posted:

I'll happily admit I got the game after seeing you post about in the sandcastle, and it's absolutely one of the best games I've played in recent memory! :)

Fair warning though, I'm not 100% certain a blind LP is the best way to show it off, since a lot of the really interesting part of the game is going back and forth through the timeline to figure things out: especially with how the game expects you to piece things together from rather minor clues here and there, and in many cases you won't even know that something is a relevant clue until much later after you first encounter it. (this goes doubly so if you, like me, are late on the uptake on just how observant you're expected to be, and that's it's a very good idea to start drawing conclusions about the crew members identities early on, heh) I'm sure it can be done well with a blind LP too however, as long as you're prepared for it and excited about doing some heavy editing!

It's really one of those kind of games that seem really hard to LP to me, though a VLP is absolutely the best choice given the amazing visual style and atmosphere.

Yeah I kinda foresaw that challenge coming, I'll certainly edit out if there are sections where nothing's really getting solved. I really appreciate the forwarning! I'll do what I can to make it interesting and entertaining, I kinda had to do the same for my 'The Witness' LP. We'll see how this goes!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Saw 10 minutes of the first video. Immediately bought the game and played for 3 hours. This is going to be fun.

Loved the witness LP by the way. It was good enough to watch after I already saw two others.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ooh, this looks intriguing! I'll watch along blind with you, I like being able to discuss mysteries as they unfold.

So, it looks like the ship's saga ended with the remaining crew mutinying over some sort of shells? Although I'm only assuming the rest of the crew is dead because that chapter is The End.

And then that reveal at the end of the episode was great. There's some really good design behind this game, it seems.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I'm totally willing to praise this game a bit more, since I played through it in basically one sitting after getting it and somehow still find myself thinking about it!

It's amazingly well designed in how much about the characters' identities, relations and role in the plot manages to come across despite the fact that the scenes are essentially still images (albeit in 3D) with very short bits of dialogue, just by letting you observe what they do and how they react to situations. As you go along, you really get a sense of getting to know the crew involved - an incredible approach to storytelling in my opinion!

I also feel that it's a sign of how much love went into making this game that almost all of the characters who have voiced lines (which is a majority iirc) use individual voice actors, all of which are of the same nationality as the crew member that they are voicing, even when they only speak English. Of course at many times this is relevant for trying to identify people by what they are saying in scenes, but they could have easily gone with fewer actors doing different voices and faking accents. Pretty impressive production values for an indie title!

Edit: It can also be said that it's entirely possible to play this game as a sort of visual novel/walking simulator thing too: There's nothing stopping you from simply leaving the ship after seeing all the scenes, if you don't care about 100%ing to get the "true ending". Also, I adore the fact that you're literally playing as a supernatural insurance investigator, with the sole goal of ensuring correct insurance claims on behalf of the East India Company :allears:

Covski fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 30, 2018

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Played it for about five hours, it's very absorbing - although I got a bit lost at finding the next "scene" until I saw that the book says where each "scene" in each chapter happens.

My first go through I figured out the fate of 27, and my biggest complaint is there appears to be only two endings, one for partial completion and one for 100%, which is somewhat annoying. I figured out the fate of nearly half the crew, gently caress you old man, don't blame your death on me.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

LashLightning posted:

unwanted Spoilerstuff

Come on man! It's the first update.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 31, 2018

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

AlphaKretin posted:

cant cook creole bream posted:

Saw 10 minutes of the first video. Immediately bought the game and played for 3 hours. This is going to be fun.

Loved the witness LP by the way. It was good enough to watch after I already saw two others.

Thanks for watching (and enjoying) The Witness LP we did! If what we've seen of Obra Dinn so far is any indication, this will be just as much of a head scratching good time.

Tenebrais posted:

Ooh, this looks intriguing! I'll watch along blind with you, I like being able to discuss mysteries as they unfold.

So, it looks like the ship's saga ended with the remaining crew mutinying over some sort of shells? Although I'm only assuming the rest of the crew is dead because that chapter is The End.

And then that reveal at the end of the episode was great. There's some really good design behind this game, it seems.

That's what it looks like so far. We can assume that most (if not all) of the notated crew is dead or have left the ship in some way. I get the feeling that multiple events are going on at the same time, so I get the feeling we will be visiting these later chapters again at some point to further fill out the story.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

OK, now I've actually had the time to go back and watch video, and
Holy poo poo, the reveal of the Kraken was executed masterfully (and timed perfectly with your decision to do one last death!). If I had the time to be playing games I'd totally join the bandwagon of rushing off to buy this, having been immediately sold on it, but as it is I'm happy to follow along vicariously.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

can I just say it's pronounced for-MO-sa

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
This LP got me interested enough to pick up the game, and I gotta say that the speed at which faces un-blur vs. when I have any clue at all who they are makes me feel really quite dumb. I'm interested to see how well you keep up.

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

Oh Captain, our Captain...

Not sure if I will draw EVERYONE in the crew, but why not have some fanart!

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I'm excited to see how you LP this, solving this mystery blind was one of the best gaming experiences I've had all year.

Looking forward to seeing what your train of thought on some of the trickier puzzles will be, since most crew members have multiple ways to puzzle out what happened to them.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Thanks again for bringing this game to my attention. It's good. Can't wait for more videos.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

I have a theory about the status of the crew and it involves the survival of all the piggies, goats, and chickens :3:

AlphaKretin posted:

OK, now I've actually had the time to go back and watch video, and
Holy poo poo, the reveal of the Kraken was executed masterfully (and timed perfectly with your decision to do one last death!). If I had the time to be playing games I'd totally join the bandwagon of rushing off to buy this, having been immediately sold on it, but as it is I'm happy to follow along vicariously.

The Kraken reveal goes down on my list for best moment in a game for 2018 so far.

Thank you so much! I also love when this sort of thing drives someone else to check the game out for themselves, especially in this case.

DarthRoblox posted:

This LP got me interested enough to pick up the game, and I gotta say that the speed at which faces un-blur vs. when I have any clue at all who they are makes me feel really quite dumb. I'm interested to see how well you keep up.

We had another session the other day and it was definitely a time where I was feeling a little slow on picking up what the game was putting down, but BOY is it satisfying when you put the pieces together right.

Time to get back to it!

Part 2

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ooh, now it's getting tangled. And we heard a couple of names, though I guess we'll need other scenes to match them to people. Or at least to figure out who "Pete" is. At least you know the stabbed boy was scottish.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Important gameplay mechanic hint. It's purely about pressing a certain button, but if you think that's a spoiler, just ignore it. But it would be kinda inconvenient if you don't figure that out. I'm pretty sure it's explained in the little help menu.
If you press tab to open the book, while examining a person, you can see the infos you found out about them.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

homphgomph posted:

I have a theory about the status of the crew and it involves the survival of all the piggies, goats, and chickens :3:

That's...unfortunate.

I picked up this game the week it came out and marathon'd it on a Saturday. Definitely a worthwhile experience for $20.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I will admit I mixed up 'Formosa' with 'Carcosa' and thought things were even spookier.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

I picked up this game because of the LP. It's a great experience. My main complaint is that the watch light/comet takes too long. (I don't think it even moves if you're not around it). I know where the bodies were, game! Don't make me wait for the comet to arrive! :argh:

homphgomph posted:

You mean the people we haven't seen are all devoured by the animals? :ohdear:

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kids these days, can't even wait ten seconds to see a dead body.

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
A great game, I will be looking forward to see you puzzle through it.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Important gameplay mechanic hint. It's purely about pressing a certain button, but if you think that's a spoiler, just ignore it. But it would be kinda inconvenient if you don't figure that out. I'm pretty sure it's explained in the little help menu.
If you press tab to open the book, while examining a person, you can see the infos you found out about them.

Ha, we eventually come to the tutorial on this and I think I even glossed over the onscreen prompt a couple times.

dscruffy1 posted:

That's...unfortunate.

:ohdear:

1234567890num posted:

I picked up this game because of the LP. It's a great experience. My main complaint is that the watch light/comet takes too long. (I don't think it even moves if you're not around it). I know where the bodies were, game! Don't make me wait for the comet to arrive! :argh:

100% agreed.

Really Pants posted:

But I wanna see it noooooow

Parenthesis posted:

Happy to have you aboard!

Time for an update!

Part 3

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Ooo, didn't catch this until now - really pumped for this LP, the game looks incredible.

ginko
Mar 28, 2010

Here's a sketch of our Annie Oakley in part 3.

Really Pants posted:

I mean, the dead are like weeds. They're popping up all over the place! No need to be impatient.

Parenthesis posted:

Bacter posted:

Ooo, didn't catch this until now - really pumped for this LP, the game looks incredible.

Yes! We are really enjoying it so far. Personally, I love mix of detective story + historical fantasy + mystery that this game mixes together.

ginko fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Nov 5, 2018

DarthRoblox
Nov 25, 2007
*rolls ankle* *gains 15lbs* *apologizes to TFLC* *rolls ankle*...
It would be nice if you could match up pictures before you find the names, and then fill them in later - I wound up coming up a numbering system and notes to keep track of murders when I didn't have all the names involved.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

DarthRoblox posted:

It would be nice if you could match up pictures before you find the names, and then fill them in later - I wound up coming up a numbering system and notes to keep track of murders when I didn't have all the names involved.
(gameplay mechanic but not plot/identity spoiler, like CCCB's earlier post) The "unknown [role]" options in the passenger list are meant to mitigate this a bit; you can assign them when you know that someone's, e.g., a topman, but not which topman just yet, and then come back to them later when you can narrow down the name. Taking physical notes definitely helps, though!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

It kills me that you never actually looked at the guy who stabbed Paul. :argh:

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Zyxyz posted:

(gameplay mechanic but not plot/identity spoiler, like CCCB's earlier post) The "unknown [role]" options in the passenger list are meant to mitigate this a bit; you can assign them when you know that someone's, e.g., a topman, but not which topman just yet, and then come back to them later when you can narrow down the name. Taking physical notes definitely helps, though!

This is something I kinda figured out when I went and edited some of the videos. Just for whatever reason I glossed over it since.

AlphaKretin posted:

It kills me that you never actually looked at the guy who stabbed Paul. :argh:

Heh...I think I just get excited and sometimes forget to do the obvious...

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

A great thing this game does is that not everyone dies instantly, so there's still some people whose cause of death have to be worked out.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Having watched the first two, I'm pretty sure you got some of those deaths wrong.

Those first few crewmembers all died by suicide, specifically suicide by ACTION CAPTAIN. I can't really describe the decision to attack him in any other way.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 7, 2018

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
I'm a little confused...why do you think tattoo guy's the bosun's mate in the latest video?

Disclaimer: I haven't played the game so I don't know whether you're right or not.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

whitehelm posted:

I'm a little confused...why do you think tattoo guy's the bosun's mate in the latest video?

Disclaimer: I haven't played the game so I don't know whether you're right or not.

I think it's because he's the only French guy? I'd have to re-watch the video to be sure.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
Everyone knows that only the French get tattoos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

It's because in the bosun's memory (at least it's the bosun according to Homphgomph and Ginko), his mate died by being torn apart. And the tattooed guy died by being torn apart, so they decided that the tattooed guy is the bosun's mate.