Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Phanatic posted:

I have one in the freezer so if what you do works out well please share.

131 for 3 hours. Torch-seared. Sliced for easy pickings. Topped with homemade chimichurri.

I did end up shaving a little of the fat cap off because it was massive. I shoulda maybe done a hair more off...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abilizer
May 6, 2017
I have an eggbite question. I cooked up a giant batch to make my team at work breakfast, and I would like them to be able to reheat them in a water bath (my sous vide is countertop, not a stick) because the microwave is super far away from our desks. The internet said 5min in a bath at 140f will reheat them well but it didn't even get close at ten minutes. Anyone have success reheating and not further cooking egg bites in a water bath? Thank you!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I got a sirloin tip roast on sale this weekend, how should i prepare this? I’ve seen people do 12 hours or up to 30 at 125-135*F.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
If I'm expecting a lot of guests in a week or two, would it be a bad idea to just do the seasoning and vacuum sealing on the frozen steaks now, so that on the day itself I only have to toss the bags in? Or will the flavor/texture change if those steaks go back in the freezer for two weeks?

Edit: For that matter, how far in advance can I sous vide them, leaving them in the ref afterwards so that I'd only have to sear the steaks on the day itself?

Argue fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 3, 2018

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Argue posted:

If I'm expecting a lot of guests in a week or two, would it be a bad idea to just do the seasoning and vacuum sealing on the frozen steaks now, so that on the day itself I only have to toss the bags in? Or will the flavor/texture change if those steaks go back in the freezer for two weeks?

Freezing twice can ruin the texture, but seasoning a frozen one without thawing it will be fine. I think. Never tried.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Argue posted:

Edit: For that matter, how far in advance can I sous vide them, leaving them in the ref afterwards so that I'd only have to sear the steaks on the day itself?

I don't see why not. As long as you're relatively quick or work one steak from freezer at a time you should be able to season and toss them back in with barely any thaw.

The seasonings probably won't penetrate far into the frozen tissue and over marinate/cure, so have at it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

So, update: I was kinda rushing this because there were so many, and I ended up not noticing that several bags had a bunch of seasoning fall off to the bottom, so they're no longer actually on the steak and are on their own little islands. Should I be worried or will the bath break down the seasoning enough that it'll make it into the steaks?

edit: also our pepper grinder broke so I had to switch to preground pepper; was this a big mistake

Edit 2: welp, not only wasn't the salt falling off a problem, the steaks actually ended up oversalted :v:

Argue fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Oct 6, 2018

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I'm sure you probably learned this already but usually the steak will lose enough moisture while cokking that any orphaned seasoning will get incorporated.

Also, a tip for next time: dry brine your steaks before vac sealing by generously salting them about an hour before you want to start cooking. When it's time to puddle just rinse off all of the excess salt and pat dry, then vac seal and cook. Also, I don't recommend pepper going in the bag, because it'll just scorch when you sear. Instead save the freshly ground pepper for after the sear.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
If I were to cook a whole pork belly sous vide, such as you might do for ramen, will it freeze well?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I've frozen sous vide pork belly a few times without issue. Last time I used it for twice cooked pork and it was perfect.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, doing a bunch sous vide and freezing portions that have already done the long cook is great.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
My boss is having a bbq this weekend and I agreed to make brisket. I’ve done smaller sous vide briskets before but this time I have a 15lb one. I am likely cutting it in half just due the size of my container. Do I need to make any other adjustments? I’ve used the food lab recipe before and it’s worked well but that’s for a much smaller piece.

I was also trying to figure out if I should time it to finish on Friday and then drop it in an ice bath and keep it in my fridge until Saturday or aim to finish it Saturday morning and just immediately bring it over to his house. Either way it’s going to be finished on his grill/smoker.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Uterine Lineup posted:

My boss is having a bbq this weekend and I agreed to make brisket. I’ve done smaller sous vide briskets before but this time I have a 15lb one. I am likely cutting it in half just due the size of my container. Do I need to make any other adjustments? I’ve used the food lab recipe before and it’s worked well but that’s for a much smaller piece.

I was also trying to figure out if I should time it to finish on Friday and then drop it in an ice bath and keep it in my fridge until Saturday or aim to finish it Saturday morning and just immediately bring it over to his house. Either way it’s going to be finished on his grill/smoker.

Thickness is the only variable. I have done that much in 2-4 bags in a cambro from 24-72 hours and time and temp make much more of a difference. Even thickness, As long as not more than 4”, really isn’t an issue.

I would chill it down and reheat and finish instead of trying to keep it at temperature from cook all the way to the house and completion. But you could do that, just wrapped in a warm cooler instead of cold one.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost
How's the thread feel about Swordfish? Is it worth using sous vide for it, or should I just cook it in a pan?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Hello thread, after a needlessly assholish post in a GBS food thread I realized that I may have some wrong ideas about sous vide and what it offers.

As it weird as it might sound would a few of you be willing to tell me what you feel Sous vide offers you? Why do you like it and/or prefer it?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Hello thread, after a needlessly assholish post in a GBS food thread I realized that I may have some wrong ideas about sous vide and what it offers.

As it weird as it might sound would a few of you be willing to tell me what you feel Sous vide offers you? Why do you like it and/or prefer it?

This is a 241 page thread, this might have been answered.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Telsa Cola posted:

Chicken, other ultra-lean meats, and eggs sous vide are things you just can't replicate using any other method without *extreme* precision/luck and/or compromising food safety.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nephzinho posted:

This is a 241 page thread, this might have been answered.

241 pages is a bit much to go through when I can just ask a quick question.

I did read into the thread a bit, and hop around the length of it to see if it came up, it was mostly supplies and technique chat so I decided to ask.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't like bloody meat, with a sous vide machine I can cook a steak to rare and then finish it off on a griddle to well done and still get a reasonably tender steak.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

RandomPauI posted:

I don't like bloody meat, with a sous vide machine I can cook a steak to rare and then finish it off on a griddle to well done and still get a reasonably tender steak.

thatsbait.gif

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Telsa Cola posted:

Here, I'll save you the :effort: of clicking « and finding the OP.

Steve Yun posted:

:siren:WHY SOUS VIDE?:siren:
Sous vide cooking allows for a lot of things that would be incredibly difficult and maybe even impossible otherwise.

Extreme precision: (if you're using an electronic setup): Meat cooked at 136°F is noticeably different from meat cooked at 140°F, which is different from meat cooked at 144°F. Trying to get meat to hit temperatures like these with a traditional cooking setup would be next to impossible, but with an electronic sous vide setup you've got a temperature controller which will turn up or turn off the heat until it hits the exact temperature. Precision may vary between different appliances, but AFAIK, all of them measure in tenths of fahrenheit degrees so you can count on it being more accurate than your pathetic brain is capable of.

Even cooking: Most other cooking styles require high heat in a relatively short amount of time. Heat needs to travel from the outside of the food towards the inside, and that takes time. Because of this, the outside of a food will always be more cooked than the inside, and you have to play a balancing act between an overcooked outside and an undercooked inside. With sous vide on the other hand, cooking time is typically long, which gives heat plenty of time to travel throughout the entire food and brings all of it up to the same temperature.

Less overcooking: Other cooking styles typically use a very hot pan, much hotter than the target temperature. The danger with this is that if you leave your food in there too long, (answer a phone call, get distracted by something on TV) then your food gets burned to a crisp. With a sous vide rig however, you set the water to be the target temperature of the food, which means that once the food hits that target temp, it doesn't get any hotter and it just stays there at that temperature. Say you're cooking steaks for a party and your friends show up late. Well, if you were doing them sous vide you could leave them in there for a couple hours and then just pop them out for a quick sear whenever your guests arrived. (Addendum: only meats that are high in connective tissue should be cooked more than just a few hours. Although lean meats will not overcook in the traditional sense, they will probably start overcooking in a different way after 4 hours, turning paste-like)

Less moisture loss: Because food is contained in a closed plastic bag, no moisture leaves the bag. Sure, some moisture will exit the food and go swimming around in the bag but at least this way it will be a lot less moisture loss than open-air cooking styles. On top of that, since you're typically cooking at lower temperatures than on a skillet, protein fibers in meat will contract less, therefore squeezing less moisture out of the meat itself.

Convenience: Some sous vide setups will allow you to start the cooking in the morning and come home to an almost-done dinner.

Making lower cooking temperatures safe: Pasteurizing food is a function of time and temperature. The higher the temperature, the shorter the time needed to make food safe, and vice versa. Now, typically you'd have to blast the heat on your food to make sure the inside of it at least got to the minimum temperature to make it safe for consumption, but now with sous vide you can cook stuff way below recommended safety guidelines and because you're cooking it for drastically longer times you can count on it being pasteurized. Why would you want to do that? For some foods the ideal texture might be achieved at a temperature that was below food-safe temperatures with traditional cooking methods.

Gelatinization: Tough cuts of meat contain lots of connective tissue. Connective tissue contains collagen. If you heat up collagen, the fibers will unravel and become gelatin, which makes the meat soft and adds a richness to the rest of the food. You can heat up the collagen quickly, which will lead to the rest of the meat being overcooked, or you can do it slowly, which will allow the collagen to convert to gelatin thoroughly while still maintaining an ideal texture for the meat. Beef short ribs that have been cooking at 136°F for 48-72 hours are a pretty amazing showcase of this.

It's one of these things where just reading the theory won't make much sense until you get to experience it.

Also, your medium rare steak or duck breast at most restaurants will have been held at temp sous vide in order to be ready in time for your order.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Also, fish is incredible when cooked via sous vide.
It feels like easy mode for cooking meats and hitting the perfect temperature and texture

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Jan posted:

Here, I'll save you the :effort: of clicking « and finding the OP.

It's one of these things where just reading the theory won't make much sense until you get to experience it.

Also, your medium rare steak or duck breast at most restaurants will have been held at temp sous vide in order to be ready in time for your order.

I read the OP already but thank you for your response. I find it nice sometimes to read peoples own experiences with things rather then a generalized OP. It also tends to click better for me.

Thank you everyone who responded so far.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have made the best drat pulled pork ever by SV’ing a butt for 36-48 hours, then smoking for a couple hours. It’s extremely versatile.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
SV lets you buy cheap, lovely cuts of beef and pork, cook them for literally a day or two (or sometimes even three) then come out with spectacularly tender, delicious proteins that you only ever had to think about for fifteen minutes total. It also allows you to scale up for entertaining in a heartbeat at the cost of a Styrofoam cooler.

You can also make chicken breasts in bulk, and then you've got individually-sealed fully-cooked and technically sterile chicken breasts to pull from for a week for lunches and dinners with no additional thought or effort.

It's not a replacement for anything else in the kitchen that doesn't need replaced, it genuinely does about half of the things it does dramatically better or safer than the alternatives.

And so everyone else knows what we're working with:

Telsa Cola posted:

Imo sous vide is fine for little babies who cant be bothered to learn how to cook without some hand holding technology bullshit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The only cooking that has no technological hand holding, is literal hand holding:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
It's really good at cooking things that are sensitive to temp changes. For example most egg dishes. So things like Crème brûlée, Lemon Curd I have made these dishes in the past and they are very finicky to get right. In SV it add all ingredients and cook, transfer to ramekin or jar done.

I host family over often so it's great for making a bunch of food. I've plated 12 servings of Eggs Benedict within 5 min. You'd be hard pressed to make that many poached eggs and get everything plated while still warm out any day of the week.

I like it because I can get regular results and exactly the way that I want things. I lived without a SV for a long time and still cook poo poo 'the old way' for convenience sometimes.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Telsa Cola posted:

It's a clever new technological thing that works on very very basic physics principles, and I think it's neat and offers amazingly consistent results. It's also really nice at least in my own case working from home with a somewhat shifting schedule that I can have meals more or less ready for final prep rather than starting from the beginning during my dinner break.

It's not perfect for everything but so far I've made the best steak, pulled pork, salmon, and corned beef that I've ever had with it, among a few other things, and it's really easy to not screw it up once it's dialed in.

Edge to edge temperature consistency is a beautiful thing, and you can go low and slow for super rare meat that is actually safe.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

fwiw the future of oven/stove technology is probably water-less temperature control akin to sous vide. sous vide is a middle ground until then -- theres already some ovens that have built-in temperature probes and can control heat to maintain a temperature.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

fwiw the future of oven/stove technology is probably water-less temperature control akin to sous vide. sous vide is a middle ground until then -- theres already some ovens that have built-in temperature probes and can control heat to maintain a temperature.

The probes are mostly for going beep when a preset temp is reached. Sous vide like cooking is is very difficult to do with air. A hunk of meat holds a lot more thermal mass than the air in the oven. To get it to heat up, you need the air to be quite a bit hotter than the target temp, or else it will take ages and the meat might dry out. Think about sitting in a sauna vs jumping in a pool with the same temp as sauna air. Steam ovens might be better for this, I've never tried one.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
In the oven, at low temps for a long time, it does take forever and it doesn't dry out. Look up the reverse-sear method if you're not already familiar with it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Something tells me that pork sitting in an air oven at 143 wouldn't be safe unless it was sterilized with gamma radiation first

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Anne Whateley posted:

In the oven, at low temps for a long time, it does take forever and it doesn't dry out. Look up the reverse-sear method if you're not already familiar with it.

Those temps aren't low though except compared to normal oven temperature. Your oven's not holding a temp of 135, it's holding 200 if you're lucky. The heat does transfer into the meat much slower (so while it doesn't take forever, doing a prime rib roast or something like that is still going to take a loooong time), and if you leave it in too long you're still going to overcook it. If you tried doing fish or chicken that way, yeah, it'd dry out. And you sure as hell can't do eggs and custards and the like that way.

I guess if your oven has a proofing drawer you could try that, except that then the thermal transfer rate would kill you and your food would spend too long in the danger zone.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

You're right, I've done that and it didn't dry out. But that only works for prime cuts that are already tender, you can't leave something tougher in there for 8 hours.* Not that there aren't plenty of delicious ways to cook tougher cuts without sous vide.

* e: this is sort of how you roast a leg of lamb, so I'm not right in saying it can't be done, it's just that it's not the same.

Ola fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 31, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Ola posted:

You're right, I've done that and it didn't dry out. But that only works for prime cuts that are already tender, you can't leave something tougher in there for 8 hours.* Not that there aren't plenty of delicious ways to cook tougher cuts without sous vide.

* e: this is sort of how you roast a leg of lamb, so I'm not right in saying it can't be done, it's just that it's not the same.

Yeah it's not impossible to get SV-like results from an oven roast, but the thing with SV is the temperature stays consistent throughout the entire volume of the cooking space throughout. You aim for 165 internal in a 400 degree oven due to heat loss from airflow, where with sous vide you set the temp for 165 if your goal temp is 165.

Sous vide cook plus roaring hot oven to finish the outside is great too, that way you can get the nice crusty outside like for pulled pork with the super tender juicy inside.

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Telsa Cola posted:

Here's something off the top of my head: Last Christmas was a small gathering, just five people at my parents' house and they only have one oven. They're making a huge roast that's going to be in that one oven all day. We were able to cook a big ol ham at the same time by putting a big stock pot on the dinner table (with a towel under it) and using my sous vide circulator on said ham while the roast cooked.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Dewgy posted:

Sous vide cook plus roaring hot oven to finish the outside is great too, that way you can get the nice crusty outside like for pulled pork with the super tender juicy inside.

Do you mean that you would put the meat in the oven instead of searing it in a hot pan/blowtorching the outside like I do? That's a new one on me; can this be done with steaks? Times/temps?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Argue posted:

Do you mean that you would put the meat in the oven instead of searing it in a hot pan/blowtorching the outside like I do? That's a new one on me; can this be done with steaks? Times/temps?

Yeah. Should work for steaks I guess? But I think it’s more for something that usually gets a tougher crust.

I usually do it for pork shoulder. About an hour, hour and a half at 300 forms a real nice bark on the outside.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Ola posted:

The probes are mostly for going beep when a preset temp is reached. Sous vide like cooking is is very difficult to do with air. A hunk of meat holds a lot more thermal mass than the air in the oven. To get it to heat up, you need the air to be quite a bit hotter than the target temp, or else it will take ages and the meat might dry out. Think about sitting in a sauna vs jumping in a pool with the same temp as sauna air. Steam ovens might be better for this, I've never tried one.

Cvap / Steam injection ovens are the way it really works, as you noted at the end. Steam makes the air heavier, also obviously stops the meat from drying out.

I’d love to put one in but they’re hilariously priced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Telsa Cola posted:

I read the OP already but thank you for your response. I find it nice sometimes to read peoples own experiences with things rather then a generalized OP. It also tends to click better for me.

Thank you everyone who responded so far.

Well, it can turn a 10€ steak into something that tastes like a 50€ restaurant steak.
And you can entertain guests and still have time to chat with them while the puddle takes care to cooking without needing attention.
I also like that I can do insane poo poo like a 36h pork belly porchetta without watching it constantly or fearing to overcook it.
And it is fun to blow people's minds with things they'd never think are possible in a home kitchen.