Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Last Chance posted:

thats because you probably spent 15 yrs compiling it
:monocle:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
counter argument: if your doing poo poo with docker redhat/centos have old kernels that have stuff randomly backported to it. it’s gotten better, but it’s still a shitshow.

most folks doing kubernetes use coreos, Ubuntu or Debian for the host, and only RHEL derivatives if they are doing openshift or otherwise mentally challenged.

At the end of the day it doesn’t really matter, as GKE uses a ChromeOS derivative(which is a derivative of Gentoo) and it’s the best hosted kubernetes platform at the moment. it actually makes more sense to bake your host as an immutable image and destroy the whole thing when you want to upgrade a package so the chromeos/coreos model is superior.

as for docker containers themselves, most use Debian or alpine as a base, if you see someone using rhel for docker, they are doing it wrong.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

freeasinbeer posted:

counter argument: if your doing poo poo with docker redhat/centos have old kernels that have stuff randomly backported to it. it’s gotten better, but it’s still a shitshow.
It’s not random, it’s security fixes and that’s it. Also there is a elrepo if you need a new kernel.

quote:

as for docker containers themselves, most use Debian or alpine as a base, if you see someone using rhel for docker, they are doing it wrong.

I use BuildRoot for release, CentOS for development.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

writing go and deploying it as a container with 1 file in it looks nice. will never get to do that but it looks nice

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I know that this is the desktop thread but wasn’t there a Fedora Atomic Host that was Red Hat’s answer to CoreOS? I think it uses the same idea of using an immutable image. Are they still developing that?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
if only there were a way to find out

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

el dorito posted:

I know that this is the desktop thread but wasn’t there a Fedora Atomic Host that was Red Hat’s answer to CoreOS? I think it uses the same idea of using an immutable image. Are they still developing that?

they bought coreos and the plan is to replace coreos with atomic. Everyone’s pissed as redhat is missing the point of it(I don’t want to use ostree, and we settled on immutable images, I don’t care about updating the host).

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

roll up ur sleeves and just hit up lfs like a champion

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/

still updated

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Coreos already hosed up bigtime imo when they ditched aci for oci. Proper image discovery and building dropped overnight in favour of.... what? buildah? podman? skopeo? Cri-o?? Runc? Who loving knows any more

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

And good luck finding a straight answer in their docs or hundreds of github issues

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

freeasinbeer posted:

they bought coreos and the plan is to replace coreos with atomic.

other way around. ContainerLinux is becoming Fedora CoreOS, and that'll be the upstream to Red Hat CoreOS, which will be the immutable host OS for OpenShift. Atomic is essentially being sunset.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ratbert90 posted:

Gentoo is indeed trash. I tried in in a VM recently and it hasn't changed much in the last 15 years.

NetBSD hasn’t changed much in the last 20 years except for under the hood and it’s good that way

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

gentoo is ~what you make it to be~, it's a meta distribution, a build-your-own-distro kit. if you think it still it trash it is because you didn't do anything in it.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

is that still true that ubuntu is just a sid snapshot? that sounds a bit trash.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
IBM®️ Aptiva Tablet Pro™️ with Red Hat Enterprise Linux Inside.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Bulgakov posted:

roll up ur sleeves and just hit up lfs like a champion

http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/stable/

still updated

i can't imagine having so much free time that this seems like a worthwhile use of it

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/chaosaffe/status/1057242446407589888/photo/1

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tankakern posted:

gentoo is ~what you make it to be~, it's a meta distribution, a build-your-own-distro kit. if you think it still it trash it is because you didn't do anything in it.

i think we're using different words to say the same thing. yes, gentoo is a pile of garbage that you get the joy of picking through to cobble together a half-working system. if that is what you want to do on your free time that's fine, everyone needs a hobby. i myself did some questionable things in college, including gentoo experimentation. what i object strongly to is the notion that gentoo is ever appropriate for any use in the workplace, where innocent coworkers and customers will be impacted by the gentooer's bad decisions

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
i used gentoo in highschool which helped me learn a lot about linux and constantly reinstall because i broke something and was too dumb to fix it

now i use fedora/centos

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lightbulb Out posted:

i used gentoo in highschool which helped me learn a lot about linux and constantly reinstall because i broke something and was too dumb to fix it

now i use fedora/centos

My man. :smug::hf::smug:

Although I started with Slackware, then: Gentoo, LFS, Ubuntu, and finally Fedora. The correct desktop distro.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

time to put that cube in the trash lol

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

You have thirty minutes to move your cube

pram
Jun 10, 2001

carry on then posted:

time to put that cube in the trash lol

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The_Franz posted:

in the context of the thread, macos is the last capital-u unix for the desktop still being developed now that oracle put solaris into maintenance mode

Ironically, AIX is actually still being actively developed.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

feedmegin posted:

ehhh it’s more of a maintenance mode. iseries and z/os are actively developed, and z has a posix compliant environment tho

but none of those are desktop oses, even aix

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I use ubuntu because I am the basicest of bitches.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i use gentoo privately because:
  • it's fun
i use gentoo professionaly because:
  • it gives you crossdev
  • extreme control over the building process built-in in a package manager. why use yocto or buildroot when you can use ~portage~

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Tankakern posted:

• it's fun
  • it gives you crossdev
  • extreme control over the building process built-in in a package manager. why use yocto or buildroot when you can use ~portage~

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

carry on then posted:

ehhh it’s more of a maintenance mode. iseries and z/os are actively developed, and z has a posix compliant environment tho

but none of those are desktop oses, even aix

is it iseries or z/os that will still run old system/360 programs that were written when we were still landing people on the moon?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

feedmegin posted:

so is Solaris

neither of them are being developed for the desktop

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

my secret hope for the IBM/Red Hat merger is that IBM will devote some resources to maintaining official Swift builds for RHEL/CentOS/Fedora

right now the only official Linux builds are Ubuntu

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

wonder how soon RHEL et al will adopt JFS as their only supported filesystem and DB2 as their only supported database

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Changelog posted:

New default editor: /bin/xedit
New default shell: /bin/jcl

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

is it iseries or z/os that will still run old system/360 programs that were written when we were still landing people on the moon?

zSeries is System/z is a direct, compatible successor of System/360, System/370, and System/390

iSeries is System/i is AS/400

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Changelog posted:

New compiler: /usr/bin/rpgii
New compiler: /usr/bin/pl-i

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

eschaton posted:

so is Solaris

Nonsense, I've administered machines running both that had CDE installed as recently as a few years ago :sun: AIX is more active than Sol 'no new major version ever' aris though. Let alone HPUX :cawg:

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

eschaton posted:

so is Solaris

oracle axed most of the solaris and sparc teams last year. solaris is in permanent maintenance mode now

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Tankakern posted:

• it's fun
  • it gives you crossdev

ur fuckin with me, i can tell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

why would i

people who's only experience with gentoo is setting CFLAGS in make.conf couldn't possibly understand how great it is