Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Lucas Archer posted:

It's 1745 in my Spain run, and this game keeps giving me unexpected gifts. I decided to try and ally the Commonwealth (4th GP) to help me take on the Ottos. I'm able to get them to remove me as a rival, and then get the alliance along with a RM. Excellent, just need to prepare a few things and then...

About 6 months after the RM, the Commonwealth ruler dies. I get a PU over them. My jaw drops. First France way back when, now this. I wish I had time to integrate them, but there's no chance of that. I feel almost invincible. I infiltrated the Ottos administration, so I can see their entire army off near the Persian Gulf fighting a war with Yemen. I feel like it's finally time to go to war.

Edit: How many light ships should I have per trade protection routes? I do 10 each, but I’m really not sure what’s optimal.

I colonized the Spice Islands from the east, island hopping from South America. Holy crap, you guys weren’t kidding when you said this was the moneymaker.

Get back to us when you get the Cape trade node over 500g. It might sound like a broken record but TCs in Asia are pretty broken because it's not just the coastal provinces. Having your capital in Europe magically gives you some 80 States worth of trade and production provinces where neither culture nor religion matters. Bonus points for them stupidly easy to buy in and then conquer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

I regret nothing.

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
1785, and I’m currently in my second war with the Ottomans in my Spain run. I took most of Greece from them in my earlier war, and this time I want to take the rest, as well as get the Commonwealth some provinces they lost to the Ottomans a hundred years ago.

The Ottos are at war with Venice, who by now only own a single island in the Mediterranean. A 120k army is just sitting there, with a current -87% siege score. I know if I can destroy the Ottomans navy and trap that army on the island, I’ll be good. But even with 200 galleys to their 150, I still get my rear end kicked in a naval battle. Any tips?

I also discovered with over 60k ducats banked, I should probably build things like, I don’t know, those camps that increase my force limit. I’ve been fighting with one arm tied behind my back, it feels like n

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
If you have that much money then force-limits are more like polite suggestions. build 1000 more galleys and keep throwing waves at them until they are worn down.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Lucas Archer posted:

1785, and I’m currently in my second war with the Ottomans in my Spain run. I took most of Greece from them in my earlier war, and this time I want to take the rest, as well as get the Commonwealth some provinces they lost to the Ottomans a hundred years ago.

The Ottos are at war with Venice, who by now only own a single island in the Mediterranean. A 120k army is just sitting there, with a current -87% siege score. I know if I can destroy the Ottomans navy and trap that army on the island, I’ll be good. But even with 200 galleys to their 150, I still get my rear end kicked in a naval battle. Any tips?

Build some more heavies, they're useful to soak damage if nothing else.

Get a good admiral, it matters.

Try to only send to battle the right amount of boats to fill up the combat width - by this I mean have 3-4 full combat width fleets, send the first in, when they're low on morale then reinforce them with another combat-width-worth fleet of boats that are waiting 1 zone away, and cycle out the first fleet to repair and regain morale. Rinse, repeat and you should be able to inflict more losses to them than them to you, and then it's just a matter of mopping up at the end.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/eu4-development-diary-30th-of-october-2018.1126049/

New Dev Diary. Tons of idea group balancing and completely reworking missionaries again. I may actually pick espionage ideas now, wow

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Also, people losing their poo poo that our data doesn't correspond to their view of what is the best pick.
Not that we based our balance changes solely on the data we got either, nor is the data showing what is actually the best pick. Only the most popular.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Oct 30, 2018

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...

TorakFade posted:

Build some more heavies, they're useful to soak damage if nothing else.

Get a good admiral, it matters.

Try to only send to battle the right amount of boats to fill up the combat width - by this I mean have 3-4 full combat width fleets, send the first in, when they're low on morale then reinforce them with another combat-width-worth fleet of boats that are waiting 1 zone away, and cycle out the first fleet to repair and regain morale. Rinse, repeat and you should be able to inflict more losses to them than them to you, and then it's just a matter of mopping up at the end.

Ok, yeah, that was probably where I went wrong. I sent a fleet of 200 galleys, 60 heavies, and roughly 70 transports (with a lovely admiral) to take on their fleet of 152 galleys, 30 light ships, and a couple heavies. I lost almost all of my heavies before my fleet retreated.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

quote:

- Gamebalance: Quantity 5th idea switched out for 33% Supply Limit Modifier.

Welp, I'm going to be taking quantity every time just for this.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Lucas Archer posted:

Ok, yeah, that was probably where I went wrong. I sent a fleet of 200 galleys, 60 heavies, and roughly 70 transports (with a lovely admiral) to take on their fleet of 152 galleys, 30 light ships, and a couple heavies. I lost almost all of my heavies before my fleet retreated.

The Ottomans don't have any naval bonus in their ideas while Spain gets +10% to heavy ship combat so with such a huge superiority, you probably should have won.

Do they have a god-admiral, or have taken some idea groups that boost navies (quality, naval, maritime), or are your boats obsolete? I refuse to believe you get such bad rolls that you can lose 60 heavies

Fake edit: if the game prioritizes putting all heavies into your combat width, each one consumes 3 spaces to 1 space for a galley, so it's like (random numbers) having 10 heavies vs 30 galleys. Of course in that situation the heavies are going to have a bad time eventually, since the enemy has a lot more ships on the line focusing down your heavies, enough reinforcement to never go below full combat width, and they will probably lose comparatively less ships (and thus, less morale)

so send mixed fleets of (again, random numbers, check the combat width so you have a full line and no more or just a few extra ships!) 5 heavies, 20 galleys or whatever it takes to get a full combat width at them one after another using the cycling method above, and you should be able to stomp them

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fister Roboto posted:

That's huge.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Groogy posted:

Also, people losing their poo poo that our data doesn't correspond to their view of what is the best pick.
Not that we based our balance changes solely on the data we got either, nor is the data showing what is actually the best pick. Only the most popular.

Just for the future, it'd be nice when talking about Idea group changes if you list the before and after. I don't actually know them from the top of my head even tough I mostly pick the same 5 groups every game.

As for the changes themselves, I still don't see a reason to pick Maritime. It's still in the lowest power tier and gets arguably worse (Free leader /-leader cost vs +2 maneuver).
The buff for expansion ideas is pretty and it'll be more competitive with Admin/Humanist/Religious.
Innovative still doesn't appeal to me, it's only worth it as first or second pick, where Admin/Expansion seem better?
The change to exploration are kinda meaningless because it's got a special slot in the diplo category - "Do I colonize or not." Admin slots are always worth more than diplo, so Exploration stays ahead of Expansion.
Influence now seems far weaker than Diplomatic now if you're limited by AE, which for me is most often the case early game.
Quantity is still Quantity, we've had this argument here before, personally I never picked it since the +Colonist policy died. I always felt this group suffers from combat width. Better troops are almost always better than more troops.

Overall I don't get these changes and don't see them doing much.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gort posted:

That's huge.

Yeah like, it won't really give you a tangible bonus to combat or anything, but it will make handling your armies so much more convenient by giving you more places where you can safely park them. It's actually kind of stupid and I kind of hope it gets nerfed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah that is the only change that I see making an impact on what I take, but I am on the same boat as Tahirovic where I prefer quality troops over more troops. Otherwise I feel like the changes are relatively insignificant.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Those idea changes are not really inspiring me for the most part. Putting +5 states in a group which is mostly dedicated to colonisers seems a bit mean to land powers. Espionage is still underwhelming. Administrative is still incredibly good for exactly 2 things and crap for everthing else. Other than skipping influence sometimes and picking quantity more often I don't really see that it will change much.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I guess the new DLC will be "Golden Century", from the Spanish "siglo de oro" period.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah like, it won't really give you a tangible bonus to combat or anything, but it will make handling your armies so much more convenient by giving you more places where you can safely park them. It's actually kind of stupid and I kind of hope it gets nerfed.

I dunno, I'll generally make my army template the same size as the supply limit of most of my territory. If that supply limit increases by 33%, that's 33% more regiments in my armies, so I'll have a more filled-out back row of artillery, which is a pretty tangible combat bonus.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Groogy posted:

I love that you guys collected and shared that data, and am absolutely flabbergasted that quality is the most popular military idea group. I guess I do pick it a lot too, but only after Offensive or Defensive.

Is there any data on what order these groups are picked in? I'd love to see data for what people's first three picks are.
e: or a weighted grouping based on order of pick. So 4 points for first pick, 3 for second, 2 for third, 1 for anything subsequent.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Oct 30, 2018

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Quality is a very nice mid game pick with the decent land and sea bonuses, the Discipline as finisher is really good too. On top of the ideas it comes with decent policies.

Quantity would need something that reduces unit weight in terms of combat weight (like Mass Assault Doctrine in HoI4). But I don't think that's even an existing unit stat.

People kinda underestimate Plutocracy too, it's a nice idea set and I always consider it, if I am playing a republic in the first place. The problem here is republics vs monarchies.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I don’t think people underestimate plutocracy, it’s just that you can’t normally get it. It’s always been a strong group.

Flagships seem fun to play around with at least, although Sweden of all nations getting a bonus (to model the Vasa? Most notable for immediately sinking before it even got out of port?) when Britain and France don’t seems a bit openly biased. I hope that’s just cause it’s early in development and there hasn’t been time to add others though. Ottomans, Venice, Genoa and even Korea should probably get priority over Sweden.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013
Groogy I will be very disappointed if that naval barrage art is not the final art. It is perfect as is.

I'm glad the ideas are getting some effort into them, and like some of the changes. I think after the changes the idea groups will feel a little more cohesive, and picks may be more purpose driven. Yeah, for some idea groups, they don't match up with a paint the map game, but for other play styles I think they'll do nicely. Maritime changes look good for a naval trade empire. Espionage, which I regularly take, just moved up priority list.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Europa Universalis IV: Swedish Mass Load Hull Breech

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Does +settlergrowth affect the chance of gaining development?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Offensive and Defensive are easily the best two military idea groups IMO. Quality is garbage tier because of all the naval ideas, and I'm surprised it's the most popular mil idea group. Aristocratic is actually better than the survey would suggest. Quantity is pretty meh in my opinion, the best thing it has going for it is that it helps keep large subjects loyal.

Sieges win wars, so Innovative+Offensive, with the policy, is really strong for 1st/2nd idea picks, unless you need to colonize early. (Innovative is way underrated considering that the tech cost reduction idea alone pays for the whole group.)

On the changes:

- I don't think +33% supply limit matters to me because it's not hard to split an army before moving it. Issue the order, hit s, send the second half one province in the opposite direction then shift order it to the same spot as the first half.
- Espionage is definitely more interesting now, but buffing Influence, which was already my favorite diplo group, means Inf is still going to be my first diplo idea pick almost always.
- I thought the current situation with Religious allowing you to convert territories was fine and I think the new change to make it more expensive is either prohibitive or pointless depending on the size/income of your nation. Also, hiding the cost in a tooltip in the budget tab is bad, it should be obvious up front that if you convert a province it should tell you how much and for how long. It's funny that rich countries are now the most zealous countries, which is a bit ahistorical :v:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Family Values posted:

- I don't think +33% supply limit matters to me because it's not hard to split an army before moving it. Issue the order, hit s, send the second half one province in the opposite direction then shift order it to the same spot as the first half.

the idea of doing this each time each of my three armies makes a move wearies me

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Gort posted:

the idea of doing this each time each of my three armies makes a move wearies me

If you have your army split into 3 stacks already, are you really running into supply limit issues anyways?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Family Values posted:

If you have your army split into 3 stacks already, are you really running into supply limit issues anyways?

That's the problem though. You have to go through the tedious, repetitive (mlmp) process of splitting and merging your armies specifically to avoid attrition. It's not fun.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Given that it's now part of Expansion ideas, what exactly defines a border fort? Does it have to actually touch a rival's province or is there like a two or so province band that's considered "border"?

I remember hearing that having forts on provinces that are at your border aren't that great because of the way zone of control works, but I can't exactly remember why (or even if it's true).

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Family Values posted:

each of those stacks is already above the supply limit for many of the provinces it needs to pass through

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Family Values posted:

Offensive and Defensive are easily the best two military idea groups IMO. Quality is garbage tier because of all the naval ideas, and I'm surprised it's the most popular mil idea group.

Disagree completely. Defensive is strong under particular circumstances, but Shock's value falls off later in the game, -5% land maintenance is hot garbage, -10% fort maintenance is barely any better, and reinforce speed is less useful than not losing those men in the first place. The only real game-changer is +15% morale, imo.

The naval ideas in Quality admittedly aren't great, but from my POV their presence lets you compensate for not taking Maritime or Naval.

The real sticking point is policies, though. Offensive + Innovative alone, giving you +1 siege pip for all leaders, is a godsend. Then you have diplo reputation up with Diplomacy, liberty desire reduction with Humanist, manpower recovery AND reduced attrition with Exploration (biting Defensive's style in a big way), institution spread AND vassal tax bonus with Influence... Defensive policies are almost universally worse, regardless of the other idea group involved.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Family Values posted:

Offensive and Defensive are easily the best two military idea groups IMO. Quality is garbage tier because of all the naval ideas, and I'm surprised it's the most popular mil idea group.
Look at this hot take. You must not even user policies (which you now get free usage of some) or want to make your armies fight better. I have the worst loving luck with my general rolls so instead of making them mildy better I would rather guarantee that the soldiers I do have fight better. Also the Naval ideas it gets are legit useful and I've never played a country where having a navy has not mattered, so....

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

i like the conversion changes.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Prav posted:

i like the conversion changes.

I hate everything and am already writing my *DOWN THUMB* steam review about pdx unfair dlc policies

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Look at this hot take. You must not even user policies (which you now get free usage of some) or want to make your armies fight better. I have the worst loving luck with my general rolls so instead of making them mildy better I would rather guarantee that the soldiers I do have fight better. Also the Naval ideas it gets are legit useful and I've never played a country where having a navy has not mattered, so....

My army tradition is almost always above 50 so I'm used to having decent generals.

I'm not convinced that the naval ideas Quality gets are all that useful even if you're doing a lot of naval stuff. When do you even need -25% naval attrition? If you really need to fight naval battles far from home, just get fleet basing rights from some random neutral country.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Man, I'm looking at Maritime ideas and I don't see it becoming very popular.
pre:
1. +1 Yearly navy tradition        ----->     100% Naval Tradition from Trade
2. +50% National sailors modifier
3. +10% Global ship repair, -10% Sailor maintenance
4. +50% Naval force limit modifier
5. -10% Ship costs
6. +2 Naval leader maneuver        ----->     +1 Free Leader and -25% Admiral Cost
7. +50% Blockade efficiency        ----->     +25% Privateering efficiency.
Bonus: Ships can repair when in coastal sea zones
+1 Navy Tradition is the equivalent of having 50% of your naval force limits protecting trade, which isn't overly unlikely. So +100% would cut that to 25%, or allow you to pretty easily push to +4 Naval Tradition by putting your naval force limits worth towards protecting trade. Combined with one of the big national bonuses that'd make it pretty damned easy to max yourself at 100NT, which would certainly be nice. Couples really well with the +1 Free leader for sure, and strictly better than +2 maneuver if you're at 100NT.

But that's still not all that huge a bonus, given how unimportant naval combat tends to be.

e: also, god drat expiring Subjugation CBs are so annoying. Started an England game, and my Scottish Subjugation CB from Levy the Troops ran out before I could use it, I assume there's no other way for it to come up again.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Oct 30, 2018

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Yeah, the fundamental issue with Naval and Maritime is definitely that naval combat just isn't as important or complex as land warfare in most instances. Or, at the very least, isn't perceived to be.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

MaxieSatan posted:

Yeah, the fundamental issue with Naval and Maritime is definitely that naval combat just isn't as important or complex as land warfare in most instances. Or, at the very least, isn't perceived to be.

If you play in multiplayer, rocking god admirals is king for any colonizer. Having a bad fleet will just straight up lose you wars. In singleplayer, you just build more boats and take advantage of the AI not properly reinforcing battles.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Family Values posted:

The main limiting factor for stack size is supply limit. Higher supply limit means bigger stacks able to engage with more front line width right from the start of a battle. Splitting your stacks and having to micro manage them is not only tedious, it also produces inefficiencies in combat effectiveness due to travel time to reach key battles. Especially since low supply limit provinces tend to have longer travel times. It's better to have more of your men there from the start. And having larger armies able to march around independently while suffering less attrition is really important in the mid and late game.

That said, +33% isn't huge. This almost certainly modifies the base supply limit value, so it's less effective than a supply limit tech. A lot of the shittier provinces will only see it go up by 3 or so. It's still rather nice for the early game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Family Values posted:

My army tradition is almost always above 50 so I'm used to having decent generals.

I'm not convinced that the naval ideas Quality gets are all that useful even if you're doing a lot of naval stuff. When do you even need -25% naval attrition? If you really need to fight naval battles far from home, just get fleet basing rights from some random neutral country.
My Army tradition is usually that high also....it doesnt mean I ever get good generals.

You cherrypicked one of the three naval ideas that are a part of Quality, so I am going to cherrypick one of the Offensive ideas: When does "National Conscripts" bonus of "-10% Recruitment Time" ever make a difference?

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not saying Offensive or Defensive is bad, I'm just trying to point out that Quality is definitely not "Garbage Tier". I always take ideas based on the situation I am in and in different situations I have taken Defensive first, others Offensive first, and yet other times Quality. They each have their uses. I think Quality has the best Policies by a fair margin, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

Cynic Jester posted:

If you play in multiplayer, rocking god admirals is king for any colonizer. Having a bad fleet will just straight up lose you wars. In singleplayer, you just build more boats and take advantage of the AI not properly reinforcing battles.

Fair, though I imagine that similar dynamics are at play with Espionage and the like. I wonder how much the stats are affected by the ratio of 1p to MP games, come to think of it...