Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

The main limiting factor for stack size is supply limit. Higher supply limit means bigger stacks able to engage with more front line width right from the start of a battle. Splitting your stacks and having to micro manage them is not only tedious, it also produces inefficiencies in combat effectiveness due to travel time to reach key battles. Especially since low supply limit provinces tend to have longer travel times. It's better to have more of your men there from the start. And having larger armies able to march around independently while suffering less attrition is really important in the mid and late game.

That said, +33% isn't huge. This almost certainly modifies the base supply limit value, so it's less effective than a supply limit tech. A lot of the shittier provinces will only see it go up by 3 or so. It's still rather nice for the early game.

When I do take Quantity it's usually later in the game, because I don't usually have the income to support a bigger army in the early game. I'm not saying it's a bad change, but if I was going to buff Quantity I can think of better ideas. Like +1 leaders without upkeep seems like a good fit for the the group and more useful IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Family Values posted:

When I do take Quantity it's usually later in the game, because I don't usually have the income to support a bigger army in the early game.

that's what quantity is for dude haha. it's like half unit cost reductions

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

That said, +33% isn't huge. This almost certainly modifies the base supply limit value, so it's less effective than a supply limit tech. A lot of the shittier provinces will only see it go up by 3 or so. It's still rather nice for the early game.

Once I realised this I was sad because you're almost certainly correct.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MaxieSatan posted:

Disagree completely. Defensive is strong under particular circumstances, but Shock's value falls off later in the game, -5% land maintenance is hot garbage, -10% fort maintenance is barely any better, and reinforce speed is less useful than not losing those men in the first place. The only real game-changer is +15% morale, imo.

Defensive gives you -25% attrition, which is extremely important in tropical regions. The -10% fort maintenance also comes with +20% fort defense, or 6 extra days per siege tick. This gives you a lot of breathing room when you're at war. Reinforce speed and leader maneuver help a lot when your armies are deep in enemy territory, or for recovering quickly from a bad battle. +1 army tradition is always good and +1 enemy attrition is great for punching above your weight.

Also the +15% morale is huge.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 30, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah the +15% morale is gigantic, it's one of the best single bonuses available anywhere in the game.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

My Army tradition is usually that high also....it doesnt mean I ever get good generals.

You cherrypicked one of the three naval ideas that are a part of Quality, so I am going to cherrypick one of the Offensive ideas: When does "National Conscripts" bonus of "-10% Recruitment Time" ever make a difference?

Now dont get me wrong, I'm not saying Offensive or Defensive is bad, I'm just trying to point out that Quality is definitely not "Garbage Tier". I always take ideas based on the situation I am in and in different situations I have taken Defensive first, others Offensive first, and yet other times Quality. They each have their uses. I think Quality has the best Policies by a fair margin, too.

I also tend to roll lame generals, even with sky-high Army tradition. Hell, i just finished an UK run and the ONE general I got with more than two siege pips across 400 years was one time I made my heir a general, and then he promptly died a few months later.

I can also vouch for Quality. I can remember several occasions, especially later in the game, in which wars that were going only so-so turned into slaughters as soon as I got the +10% infantry combat ability power.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Fister Roboto posted:

+1 army tradition is always good and +1 enemy attrition is great for punching above your weight.

Is it really, though? I have done a few games with both that ability, the policy for extra enemy attrition, and luring enemies into snowy lovely sieges, and never really felt a difference. For smaller enemy countries, you're usually just crushing them, and bigshots seem to just take endless loans and fill up on mercs, then disregard attrition.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's very easy to notice if you play in tropical regions. Forcing siege stacks to take 5 or 6% attrition per ticket adds up fast. Even if they need up draining their manpower drives up war exhaustion and strength of alliance modifiers which helps you take better peace deals.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Attrition is capped at 5%, right? So it's pretty much useless in jungle heavy areas.

I'm not completely sold on the missionary change but having the cost actually be relevant outside of tiny countries in the very beginning sounds interesting.

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 30, 2018

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Poil posted:

Attrition is capped at 5%, right? So it's pretty much useless in jungle heavy areas.

I'm not completely sold on the missionary change but having the cost actually be relevant outside of tiny countries in the very beginning sounds interesting.

I think the static modifiers such as from climate and ideas add on top of the usual 5% cap.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

hey, what's a good country to play as if i wanna force myself to actually give a poo poo about naval stuff for once but i don't wanna mess around with colonizing?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

oman

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Britain but just don't colonize? Any colonial power is also going to be in a good position to colonize, is the thing.

Malacca too.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

If you don't mind starting as a major power Vijayanagar has a cool mission chain which basically encourages you to expand into Africa and SEA well before you can have a land connection to those areas, which necessarily requires a lot of loving around with navies.There's a few other states with similar mission chains such as Oman, Gujarat, and even Byzantium (if you prioritise getting into Sicily ASAP)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You might consider a country that invests heavily in trading instead, so there's a reason to be building hordes of ships without colonization.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Brother Entropy posted:

hey, what's a good country to play as if i wanna force myself to actually give a poo poo about naval stuff for once but i don't wanna mess around with colonizing?

anything in the med, i guess?

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Getting the Aragon Consulate of the Sea achievement or the Sons of Carthage Tunis achievement are also good for 'naval, but no colonies' campaigns.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

oh, tunis could be neat. it'd be nice to be on the other side of the raiding mechanic for once

thanks all

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Family Values posted:

When I do take Quantity it's usually later in the game, because I don't usually have the income to support a bigger army in the early game. I'm not saying it's a bad change, but if I was going to buff Quantity I can think of better ideas. Like +1 leaders without upkeep seems like a good fit for the the group and more useful IMO.

But later in the game you're so big and wealthy that you have ample forcelimits and manpower anyway. Quantity's manpower buffs are almost more important than the force limit buffs. More men in your manpower pool means less mercenaries you have to buy, which means cheaper armies. There are some regions where quantity is more important than elsewhere.If you're playing in northern Italy and don't take Quantity as your first idea, then you're probably doing it wrong. You really need that extra manpower, and you can easily fill out the extra force limits.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Oct 31, 2018

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

Denmark/Sweden is a fun naval game. Start making the Baltic your personal pool, then expand to make the North Sea and english channel also your turf.

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009
I just spawned global trade at Zanzibar in my Ajuuraan theocracy. Every once in a while I blockade the entirety of India for ransom. I've had countless battles with Spanish fleets to defend the Cape. A+ would recommend for naval fuckery.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Well this is weird.

Tuscany took Rome, so the Papacy moved to a province in the HRE, which I recently fed to a vassal. They didn't hold any land for a while, until I beat up Tuscany and made them release the Papal States, which appeared back in Rome... as a Protestant Kingdom?

Lucas Archer
Dec 1, 2007
Falling...
Spanish game complete. I finally swarmed the Ottoman's navy with triple the number of galleys. Took the rest of Greece and Constantinople.

Achievements - All That's Thine Shall Be Mine, Factionalism, The Continuation of Diplomacy, City of Cities, Blockader, Imperio español, The Five Colonies, Market Control, At Every Continent, This navy can take it all, My armies are invincible!, Down Under, and Just a Little Patience. For my first full run through I'm pretty proud of myself.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Brother Entropy posted:

oh, tunis could be neat. it'd be nice to be on the other side of the raiding mechanic for once

thanks all

Not to be a downer, but you'll find it fun the first time around, after that you get annoyed you have to watch the cooldown for it and manually do it whenever and where ever you can. It's really tedious.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

PittTheElder posted:

I love that you guys collected and shared that data, and am absolutely flabbergasted that quality is the most popular military idea group. I guess I do pick it a lot too, but only after Offensive or Defensive.

Is there any data on what order these groups are picked in? I'd love to see data for what people's first three picks are.
e: or a weighted grouping based on order of pick. So 4 points for first pick, 3 for second, 2 for third, 1 for anything subsequent.

No the data is only that it got picked, no order. But we can assume that early picks will be more prevalent because more games will be started and not finished.

Though looking at the data I do draw a sort of conclusion that majority of players don't pick based on what's in the groups but on the feeling that the groups give. Quality is picked not because it's a good group for land powers (Defensive or Quantity in Single player against AI should def be higher here if you are opting for early game most bang for the buck) but most probable it's picked often because people like the idea of a quality army, not a defensive or quantitative one.

Koramei posted:

Flagships seem fun to play around with at least, although Sweden of all nations getting a bonus (to model the Vasa? Most notable for immediately sinking before it even got out of port?) when Britain and France don’t seems a bit openly biased. I hope that’s just cause it’s early in development and there hasn’t been time to add others though. Ottomans, Venice, Genoa and even Korea should probably get priority over Sweden.

It's a joke
I've never seen so many people get so upset over a freaking joke of a ship

Family Values posted:

Also, hiding the cost in a tooltip in the budget tab is bad
It doesn't

Family Values posted:

it should be obvious up front that if you convert a province it should tell you how much and for how long.
It does

Groogy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Oct 31, 2018

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I'm the weirdo who picks Espionage sometimes purely for RP reasons.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
When is that data actually collected, and what does it include? Like do you see how often I cheat with the console when not forcing myself to play Iron Man?

Edit: I once rolled a 6 fire general at game start, didn't get an apology for that either

Tahirovic fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Oct 31, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Did you catch that time I rolled four zeroes in a row? Still waiting for an apology

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Tahirovic posted:

When is that data actually collected, and what does it include? Like do you see how often I cheat with the console when not forcing myself to play Iron Man?

Edit: I once rolled a 6 fire general at game start, didn't get an apology for that either

"maybe you guys aren't ready for that yet, but trust me... your successors are gonna love it"

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

If you're playing in northern Italy and don't take Quantity as your first idea, then you're probably doing it wrong. You really need that extra manpower, and you can easily fill out the extra force limits.

Not picking Quantity first in Northern Italy is actually extremely right. You should definitely be picking diplo or influence first. The number of troops you have doesn't matter if you can only conquer 1 province every 20 years because of AE.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Firebatgyro posted:

Not picking Quantity first in Northern Italy is actually extremely right. You should definitely be picking diplo or influence first. The number of troops you have doesn't matter if you can only conquer 1 province every 20 years because of AE.

:agreed:

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I kinda wonder now if force limits is the only army parameter that enters into AI decisions. That would explain a lot of really stupid wardecs I've seen.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They also care about how many standing units you have. I know based on games where i forget to build up to force limit and get declared on by someone way way beneath me before i stock up and crush them.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Tahirovic posted:

I kinda wonder now if force limits is the only army parameter that enters into AI decisions. That would explain a lot of really stupid wardecs I've seen.

Pretty sure it takes into account your tech level. When you tech up your relative strength +/- goes up for diplomatic actions.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

i probably wouldn’t take a mil idea first for anyone, but in italy especially. if you’re not good at ae then either influence or dip yeah. or admin because those coring costs are going to be sky high

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

oddium posted:

i probably wouldn’t take a mil idea first for anyone, but in italy especially. if you’re not good at ae then either influence or dip yeah. or admin because those coring costs are going to be sky high

If you have like a 2/2/6 ruler mil first is cool, especially if you're away from Europe and need to develop Rennaisance since that tends to use up all your spare dip points.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Groogy posted:

No the data is only that it got picked, no order. But we can assume that early picks will be more prevalent because more games will be started and not finished.

Though looking at the data I do draw a sort of conclusion that majority of players don't pick based on what's in the groups but on the feeling that the groups give. Quality is picked not because it's a good group for land powers (Defensive or Quantity in Single player against AI should def be higher here if you are opting for early game most bang for the buck) but most probable it's picked often because people like the idea of a quality army, not a defensive or quantitative one.

Well that's a shame, but good point about partial games there.

Interesting that that's apparently how the player base picks stuff, the power gamer in me (who inexplicably spends half his time playing England, Muscovy and Brandenburg games :v:) just doesn't understand.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Any idea why I can't explore NW Pacific here? The mission is available, but when I select it the ships just sit in the harbor doing nothing.

Also the shogun keeps declaring war on Yeren and doing literally nothing, not even blockading them, so they end up having to sign a -25% warscore peace treaty every time. It might be related, like there's something weird going on with ocean pathing in that part of the world.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

Any idea why I can't explore NW Pacific here? The mission is available, but when I select it the ships just sit in the harbor doing nothing.

Also the shogun keeps declaring war on Yeren and doing literally nothing, not even blockading them, so they end up having to sign a -25% warscore peace treaty every time. It might be related, like there's something weird going on with ocean pathing in that part of the world.

The exploration AI sometimes breaks when at war. usually happens when the exploration path takes them by enemy provinces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's not just while at war though. I can't even get a mission to explore those coastal provinces, which definitely should be in range.