Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m still early in the game but stressing over getting perfect pelts/carcasses by killing the right animals in the right way is sounding like kind of a chore. Is anything interesting locked behind it? Or if I don’t care about Challenges or money, is it something you can just safely not think about?

I think a lot of this game can be summed up as, if you're not having fun, don't do it. Like Spider-man was designed for everyone to %100 it and enjoy it and it was super easy to do. This game really isn't that. Do something because you want to do it, don't do it if you're just worried you won't get a unique hat that probably doesn't do anything.

I've spent most of my time in this game just looking around and listening to people. There is a lot of great dialog and moments and character in it all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.
so i was doing some exploring in the far north, explored a cave or two, did some good o' driscoll shootin, and in the process got separated from my horse. I had just changed into my winter coat so I was safe from the elements for now but i was far enough from my horse that making it back was going to be impossible in the snow (by which i mean i didn't want to because I'm lazy). I was wandering through a snowstorm near a frozen lake and I saw a brilliant white horse across the ice. I spent 20 minutes trying to calm it enough that I could jump on, chasing it all around the lake as it got spooked and ran off.

finally i'm ready, bareback on my white stallion, feeling like i can actually get out of the cold and back to civilization when I see the tracks of a legendary white buffalo. I track it down and chase it across the lake, taking shots with my rifle as I can. The last shot makes it collapse off the ice into the lake and I watch the buffalo sink into the icey water.

I didn't know that any of this poo poo was up here, I was just poking around. this game is fuckin good

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I coulda sworn the 'time your button presses for no stamina loss!' prompt popped up on your way for the tutorial stage coach theft to unlock the fence.

But yes, file it under "Blink and you'll miss it while trying not to steer into a small bridge's railings or insurance scammer pedestrians"

CuddleCryptid posted:

I have tried to be a good guy and it sucks. One time I saved a stagecoach from being robbed by bandits, and tied them up rather than shooting them. On a whim i threw one on the back of my horse and decided to take him to jail for his crimes. Three mins later I am riding through town and get gunned down for kidnapping the dude.
The all seeing sky god doesn't like the competition in reporting crimes.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Okay why in the gently caress did I get a bounty for shooting back at assholes who started shooting at me in Saint Denis for no reason?

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Section Z posted:

The all seeing sky god doesn't like the competition in reporting crimes.

I happened on a fight and the guy was pleading for help, but the other dude knocked him out and he fell face first into the mud. I beat up the dude and went to go check on the guy he knocked out. I figured he might drown, so I picked him up and thought I would put him in the dry dirt so he didn't drown.

The whole town flipped out at me "kidnapping" him.

I also found a guy in chains and a prison outfit asking for help. I lasso'd him and thought I'd take him into the sheriff. A dude saw me, and reported me for kidnapping. I had to chase him down and beat him up. I just want to be a force for good ;_;

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DrNutt posted:

Okay why in the gently caress did I get a bounty for shooting back at assholes who started shooting at me in Saint Denis for no reason?

Not being allowed to defend yourself is the worst part of the game. At least it's cheap to pay if you go straight to the post office.

HOW COULD YOU
Jun 1, 2006

The man in black fled across Middle Tennessee, and Pierre followed.

AxeManiac posted:

I happened on a fight and the guy was pleading for help, but the other dude knocked him out and he fell face first into the mud. I beat up the dude and went to go check on the guy he knocked out. I figured he might drown, so I picked him up and thought I would put him in the dry dirt so he didn't drown.

The whole town flipped out at me "kidnapping" him.

yeah this is really similar to me. i wanted to pick someone up for roleplay reasons (a drunk guy challenged me to a duel then faceplanted in the mud) but the sherrif runs me out of town. ruins my ~~immersion~~

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

JBP posted:

Not being allowed to defend yourself is the worst part of the game. At least it's cheap to pay if you go straight to the post office.

2nd worst. 1st would be that motherfuckers narc on you for killing the KKK. Shot that witness right in the back and felt zero guilt.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Any tips for options in the Rhodes optional basement rescue quest?

For one thing, also noticed for the Valentine back-of-store robbery, it seems you can't break into stores right? Any locked door in a town can't be shot or exploded open, and you also can't jump into the back window of the Valentine shop if you break it for example. Also can't seem to blow up the wood panel repaired side of the building. In general more flexible options to tackle these little things would've been cool.

But back to the Rhodes one, I talked to the basement guy from the window outside, went in the shop but the gun store clerk wouldn't talk to me about the basement or anything. So I drew my gun on him, then he starts shooting me so I punch him out. Then cops come and kill me, now the town is locked down.

Does the guy need to be scripted to open a locked door etc, or can I just go back in there at some point and walk down some stairs to free that guy?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JBP posted:

It’s really annoying yeah. Hopefully they address it in a patch because this can’t be the intended experience

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Any tips for options in the Rhodes optional basement rescue quest?

For one thing, also noticed for the Valentine back-of-store robbery, it seems you can't break into stores right? Any locked door in a town can't be shot or exploded open, and you also can't jump into the back window of the Valentine shop if you break it for example. Also can't seem to blow up the wood panel repaired side of the building. In general more flexible options to tackle these little things would've been cool.

But back to the Rhodes one, I talked to the basement guy from the window outside, went in the shop but the gun store clerk wouldn't talk to me about the basement or anything. So I drew my gun on him, then he starts shooting me so I punch him out. Then cops come and kill me, now the town is locked down.

Does the guy need to be scripted to open a locked door etc, or can I just go back in there at some point and walk down some stairs to free that guy?

I saw a video of it, you need to have the shopkeeper open the door for you, it should have been an option after you talk to the guy in the window. If you want there is a way to resolve it without killing anyone.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
So infinite horse whistling distance is a cheat code, which means if you activate it, you can't save your game anymore.

It also means that it's unlikely to ever be an actual ability you get because Rockstar considers this feature, a feature universally present in every other game with a mount system ever made, to be cheating.

Fan loving tastic.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Fool posted:

I saw a video of it, you need to have the shopkeeper open the door for you, it should have been an option after you talk to the guy in the window. If you want there is a way to resolve it without killing anyone.

Yeah I went downstairs and freed the kid, admonished the shopkeeper and then went upstairs and took as much on shelf poo poo as I could carry.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Game needs to stop reseting the guns I have in my holsters. No, I don't want to use this loving repeater I bought the Springfield for a reason. Stop.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I guess I can't just walk into a bank and rob it?

tjones
May 13, 2005
Can someone tell me the mission that kicks off the big point of no return that the poster above mentioned restricting the map about 60% of the way in? Just the location, for whom it is for, and the title would suffice so nothing more is spoiled, if you don't mind. Thanks.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hate how the difficulty of the game spikes 100% out of missions, kinda frustrating

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

Game needs to stop reseting the guns I have in my holsters. No, I don't want to use this loving repeater I bought the Springfield for a reason. Stop.

Yeah I hate the inventory system. It's so clunky and dumb. It's really annoying to use it.

Edit - also I wish that eating was an optional thing. I totally forget to do it while wandering around looking at poo poo and hunting and then find myself underweight. It's not really fun imo.

TMMadman fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 30, 2018

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Chapter 5 Arthur isn't gonna get better, is he.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

After using the Horizon Zero Dawn inventory this feels like crap

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

don't think so partner :( it's bumming me out now that I'm keen on just hunting and chilling out.

Not a spoiler but the other quotes a big spoiler so better to be safe than sorry.

JBP fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 30, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I haven't really had any issues with the inventory, but it took me a bit to get used to using the radial wheel. You just need to get your preferred guns out when you hop off the horse.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

There's a reason Arthur isn't in Red Dead Redemption 1

And to this point, I am loving the gently caress out of playing this game but goddamn is the story bad and unnecessary.

This game would have been far better if it had zero connection to Redemption 1.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

There's a reason Arthur isn't in Red Dead Redemption 1

And to this point, I am loving the gently caress out of playing this game but goddamn is the story bad and unnecessary.

This game would have been far better if it had zero connection to Redemption 1.

My hope for Arthur was that he'd gently caress over the gang, take the money and ride into the sunset like an incredible rear end in a top hat because gently caress Dutch. He still might though because he's getting more and more pissed off.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

JBP posted:

I haven't really had any issues with the inventory, but it took me a bit to get used to using the radial wheel. You just need to get your preferred guns out when you hop off the horse.

This is bullshit, really.

You shouldn't have to re-equip yourself every time you dismount. If you're already wearing your preferred guns, then you should just keep wearing them. There's nothing simulationist or realistic about this at all.
Yes, it's possible to acknowledge and deal with the mechanic, but that doesn't mean it's not an awful mechanic that does anything for the game aside from making it worse.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Fool posted:

Makes sense, there was no context option to talk to the shopkeeper for me though. A bug I guess. I was able to do the one in Valentine though.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I take it that if you pull out a gun when someone is attacking you with a knife you get instakilled, thats happened to me twice now.

Also ran into a house to save a woman only to get gibbed by two dudes with shotguns :v:

Why is it sometimes I'm nearly invincible then other times I get insta owned.

I don't get it to be honest..... still love you rdr2 though :v:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I accidentally picked up a Worn Cattleman Revolver while looting bodies. Now it's stuck in my inventory, and the game likes to automatically equip it into my offhand slot instead of any of my good guns.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

GreatGreen posted:

This is bullshit, really.

You shouldn't have to re-equip yourself every time you dismount. If you're already wearing your preferred guns, then you should just keep wearing them. There's nothing simulationist or realistic about this at all.
Yes, it's possible to acknowledge and deal with the mechanic, but that doesn't mean it's not an awful mechanic that does anything for the game aside from making it worse.

I'm not sure what you mean. I always have the pistols equipped, but Morgan puts his rifles away in the saddle when you ride and you take them out when you stop riding and head off to do things. Is the problem that he puts his guns back int he saddle or is the game bugging and swapping your guns to the wrong thing?

Gruckles posted:

I accidentally picked up a Worn Cattleman Revolver while looting bodies. Now it's stuck in my inventory, and the game likes to automatically equip it into my offhand slot instead of any of my good guns.

What the gently caress. I've never run into this except for being caught off guard by a mission switching my guns. I always have my dark metal Schofields at the ready, that sucks that it is loving up your pistol slots.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Just want to say in the non-complaints department, Sadie Adler is a loving badass and I love her.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Gruckles posted:

Yeah, I've got the same problem. I can't figure out how to get rid of it either.

Thankfully, it doesn't seem to automatically equip into my offhand, but it's still annoying to have in there.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

So like a huge dumbass I blew almost all my starting money on a Varmint Rifle, which I proceeded to pimp out in all the fanciest upgrades. I did this because I was totally sure I'd be able to make that money back by killing small animals. I don't think this plan is going to work out.

Is this rifle good for anything else? Should I use it against people? (I would assume no, since it's only .22, unless it's particularly accurate or something)

The varmint rifle is really good once you get the Buck Trinket made from a Fence. It allows indiscriminate slaughter of birds and small game and decreases the odds of getting lovely poor pelts for crafting purposes from the Trapper and the Fence (considering most of the outfits and decorations require Perfect parts from small game and feathers.)

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

I don't have any issues using anything, the game is just unequipping me and putting other stuff in its place. Like, I'll have my Volcanic pistol in my holster and the Springfield over my shoulder then a cutscene happens and I'm using a Scofield revolver with a carbine repeater over my shoulder and a shotgun on my back. I have to constantly re-equip what I want to use now that I've hit Chapter 3 and there's a few guns in the horse bag. I dislike the way two long guns on my back looks so I never have a second one with me by choice but it always makes its way there.

JBP posted:

is the game bugging and swapping your guns to the wrong thing?

Yes :(

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 31, 2018

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm not sure what you mean. I always have the pistols equipped, but Morgan puts his rifles away in the saddle when you ride and you take them out when you stop riding and head off to do things. Is the problem that he puts his guns back int he saddle or is the game bugging and swapping your guns to the wrong thing?

I can only speak for myself but I find the game is pretty finicky about remembering which guns I'm carrying off of my horse. For example, I'll be on foot, with my repeater and springfield equipped. Then I'll get on my horse and ride around for a while, and then when I get off, I find (but only sometimes) that I am no longer wearing one or both of my longarms and I need to go get them from my saddle again.

Yes it's something you can work around easily enough, but it's an obstacle that's newly introduced into RDR2 that wasn't a problem at all in RDR1; I don't care for it. I'd guess that what they're trying to do is make you think more carefully about which guns you're equipping when you venture out on foot, but having arthur periodically forget the choices you make is a nuisance that doesn't add to the enjoyment of the game at all.

I still love the game but a problem's a problem

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I think the game must have some weird spaghetti code going on with keeping track of your equipment loadout and, and loading it during missions. It sometimes leaves on what you had equipped during free roam, other times it will set you to using your starting revolver and repeater. Like they arbitrarily have event flags unequipping, equipping a specific thing, equipping the start of your list, or leaving it alone.

There was also a time where I died during a mission, and when I retried from checkpoint I had no sidearm equipped. And when I got back to my horse my Schofield Revolver was just entirely gone. Saw a reddit post from someone else who had the same thing happen at the same point. So I reloaded my autosave from before starting the mission. Then when redoing it I died again, but it was at a different checkpoint and I didn't lose my gun that time.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

Just want to say in the non-complaints department, Sadie Adler is a loving badass and I love her.

Yes

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

can you screw yourself out of outfits or trinkets by selling legendary parts to the wrong person

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

No

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

I can only speak for myself but I find the game is pretty finicky about remembering which guns I'm carrying off of my horse. For example, I'll be on foot, with my repeater and springfield equipped. Then I'll get on my horse and ride around for a while, and then when I get off, I find (but only sometimes) that I am no longer wearing one or both of my longarms and I need to go get them from my saddle again.

Yes it's something you can work around easily enough, but it's an obstacle that's newly introduced into RDR2 that wasn't a problem at all in RDR1; I don't care for it. I'd guess that what they're trying to do is make you think more carefully about which guns you're equipping when you venture out on foot, but having arthur periodically forget the choices you make is a nuisance that doesn't add to the enjoyment of the game at all.

I still love the game but a problem's a problem

I don't think it needs a work around. Arthur slides the guns back into the saddle with an animation for hard riding. I always thought the visual representation of it was so clear that I never forgot to grab a rifle (which only takes a moment) from the saddle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Gavin!