Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

nwin posted:

Hmm. If my 6s 64gb qualifies for $300, I might do that. Kinda doubt it will though.

6s+ is $200 credit iirc

if you call and ask them and want to be absolutely certain you can have them check document number 445060 and it has the list

dont ask me why i remember the doc # but not the actually contents :shrug:

Maneki Neko posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but is the free hour of in flight WiFi limited to one flight a day or anything weird? I normally just get direct flights for work, but I’ve got a multileg coming up.

if you're on T-Mobile One rate plan you can just add One Plus for the month and get unlimited in flight wifi on all supported domestic flights :shrug:

Worf fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Sep 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
This feels like a rudimentary question, but googling isn't getting me the exact answer I'm looking for.

My wife and I have a family plan together. I have an iPhone X, she has an iPhone 6s. I ordered a XS for her, along with the trade-in offer for her 6s. She's actually getting my old X, and I'll use the XS. Can we just put her 6s sim into my X, and the sim from my X into the XS, and it'll be good, or is there more work involved?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

canyonero posted:

This feels like a rudimentary question, but googling isn't getting me the exact answer I'm looking for.

My wife and I have a family plan together. I have an iPhone X, she has an iPhone 6s. I ordered a XS for her, along with the trade-in offer for her 6s. She's actually getting my old X, and I'll use the XS. Can we just put her 6s sim into my X, and the sim from my X into the XS, and it'll be good, or is there more work involved?

That’s all you need to do

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Statutory Ape posted:

if you're on T-Mobile One rate plan you can just add One Plus for the month and get unlimited in flight wifi on all supported domestic flights :shrug:

Im kinda bummed the free One Plus promo from days gone by doesn’t actually include this benefit, but I did just test it out and it’s free one hour per flight, so there’s that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I think all postpaid customers get that, at minimum those that have T-Mobile One plan

Been awhile since i looked into that specifically bc most people dont seem to care 🤷‍♂️

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So question for anyone who’s unlocked a T-Mobile device before. I switched to the XS from an 8+ and now want to give the Plus to a friend who is going to AT&T. When it comes to unlocking can I do it using my T-Mo sim to unlock or do I need his AT&T sim to unlock the device. How would that all work?

Skeezy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 24, 2018

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Skeezy posted:

So question for anyone who’s unlocked a T-Mobile device before. I switched to the XS from an 8+ and now want to give the Plus to a friend who is going to AT&T. When it comes to unlocking can I do it using my T-Mo sim to unlock or do I need his AT&T sim to unlock the device. How would that all work?

I did it a long time ago and putting in a non-t-mobile sim is what starts the process but that was like 5 years ago on some old iPhone so I don’t know if it’s the same now.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Tmobile will have to start unlock process. Just call their cust svc. Within 24 hours they'll email you instructions. Takes up to 48 hours after receipt of that email.

In this case after you get that portion completed all your friend will have to do is pop in his att sim and voila

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Question about the One Plus plan. Does that one not downsample video at all, or does it do so, just down to 720p instead of 480p?

I'm thinking of switching to that from Sprint. I've been pretty happy with the Sprint unlimited plan I picked up years ago, though I suspect it's because I don't know what fast data is like. The T-Mobile plan is about the same cost as my Sprint plan so I'm good staying if I don't like it.

I've got a new phone coming in and it would be a good time to see if I liked T-Mobile before switching. Maybe I should just pick up a prepaid sim for a week or two to try it out? Will switching to post-paid be an issue after using prepaid for a bit?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Internal company doc says that it removes video optimization from our end. This feature must be proactively enabled even if you're on One Plus via the website or app

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I had to call in to have HD Video enabled on my One Plus plan. For some reason I couldn't do it through the app or site. After the call, I was able to get full HD a bit after for settings to get updated.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

effika posted:

Question about the One Plus plan. Does that one not downsample video at all, or does it do so, just down to 720p instead of 480p?

I'm thinking of switching to that from Sprint. I've been pretty happy with the Sprint unlimited plan I picked up years ago, though I suspect it's because I don't know what fast data is like. The T-Mobile plan is about the same cost as my Sprint plan so I'm good staying if I don't like it.

I've got a new phone coming in and it would be a good time to see if I liked T-Mobile before switching. Maybe I should just pick up a prepaid sim for a week or two to try it out? Will switching to post-paid be an issue after using prepaid for a bit?

the easiest way to do it would be to wait until halfway through your sprint billing period, buy a prepaid tmobile sim and month of service for it, put in the new sim and use it until the billing period is over, and then if you want to keep tmobile just port your sprint number to tmobile and stop using the prepaid sim

simple mobile is a tmo reseller that will give you an idea of what their coverage is like with cheap plans, the sim is 1 dollar and the cheapest plan is 25 dollars for the month with 3gb data. thatll be enough to give you an idea of the speeds etc. keep in mind that if you're in a congested area you can be deprioritized tho so you may not get the same speeds you would with tmo proper

Blue Train fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 18, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Thanks for the info thread! Will likely end up back here when I finally say goodbye to Sprint- just need to make sure T-Mobile is no less terrible indoors than Sprint is.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

effika posted:

Thanks for the info thread! Will likely end up back here when I finally say goodbye to Sprint- just need to make sure T-Mobile is no less terrible indoors than Sprint is.

internal coverage tool will show the power of each specific band/frequency to a particular address, with pretty accurate (in my experience) measuring of how well it works indoors

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Blue Train posted:

the easiest way to do it would be to wait until halfway through your sprint billing period, buy a prepaid tmobile sim and month of service for it, put in the new sim and use it until the billing period is over, and then if you want to keep tmobile just port your sprint number to tmobile and stop using the prepaid sim

simple mobile is a tmo reseller that will give you an idea of what their coverage is like with cheap plans, the sim is 1 dollar and the cheapest plan is 25 dollars for the month with 3gb data. thatll be enough to give you an idea of the speeds etc. keep in mind that if you're in a congested area you can be deprioritized tho so you may not get the same speeds you would with tmo proper

important note on this since i didnt see anything on it

if the phone he purchased is through his carrier it will be sim locked to that carrier by default. even if it was purchased at MSRP up front it will be carrier locked. they will unlock it for you when you own it in its entirety but you'll have to proactively request it.

effika posted:

if you're not going to keep your prepay number you're using to test out, you won't really be 'switching' to post pay. you'll be disregarding the prepay number you got and then just activating a separate post pay line entirely with all the usual steps (hard credit check, etc). you would effectively be an entirely new customer in every sense.

you can absolutely keep the prepay number if you're so inclined and that can be very easily switched into post pay- its the identical process in every possible way of activating a new post pay number from anywhere else.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

important note on this since i didnt see anything on it

if the phone he purchased is through his carrier it will be sim locked to that carrier by default. even if it was purchased at MSRP up front it will be carrier locked. they will unlock it for you when you own it in its entirety but you'll have to proactively request it.

These are both Pixels bought from Google so they should be fine. Thanks for the heads-up!

quote:

if you're not going to keep your prepay number you're using to test out, you won't really be 'switching' to post pay. you'll be disregarding the prepay number you got and then just activating a separate post pay line entirely with all the usual steps (hard credit check, etc). you would effectively be an entirely new customer in every sense.

you can absolutely keep the prepay number if you're so inclined and that can be very easily switched into post pay- its the identical process in every possible way of activating a new post pay number from anywhere else.

Good good. I remember some carrier was all difficult about it but that may have been years ago.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Statutory Ape posted:

I bought my iPhone at full MSRP on Sprint's website last year. I was able to switch carriers and pop a T-Mobile SIM in without needing to do anythinug to unlock it.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

td4guy posted:

I bought my iPhone at full MSRP on Sprint's website last year. I was able to switch carriers and pop a T-Mobile SIM in without needing to do anythinug to unlock it.

First time I've ever heard of that being the case outside of Verizon :shrug:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Statutory Ape posted:

First time I've ever heard of that being the case outside of Verizon :shrug:

Sprint phones automatically unlock upon being fully paid off now. This is a pretty recent change and I was super surprised to learn this! Makes switching people from Sprint super easy :v:

edit: speaking as a T-Mobile employee, I wish we were less garbage about our unlock policy. Verizon phones unlock day one and Sprint phones do after being paid off. Meanwhile, we have a bunch of stupid lovely hoops to jump through, particularly if you're trying to unlock a phone that's locked to T-Mobile but wasn't purchased at a store, I got a seed phone from LG that, after owning it for a year, I had a hell of a time trying to get unlocked to resell it after the LG rep told me I owned it and it was okay. I had to call customer care like nine loving times and get it escalated and wait 72 hours between each attempt until a supervisor was finally able to add the IMEI to the whitelist (despite being told that that's what they were doing each time).

In this aspect, I wish we were more like Verizon, where our phones are unlocked from the word go. I mean, who the gently caress cares if someone buys a phone from us and then uses it on Verizon or whatever? They still bought the phone and had to have service with us to do so, so it's not like it benefits the company that much. It's just loving asinine.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Oct 24, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

You don't need service to walk into a tmobile store and buy a phone

I also work for tmus, though not retail. But in the northeast you can just buy a phone. They just charge you more automatically at pos

The unlock thing isnt great but honestly i dont see how it would benefit the company to make it easier

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Statutory Ape posted:

You don't need service to walk into a tmobile store and buy a phone

I also work for tmus, though not retail. But in the northeast you can just buy a phone. They just charge you more automatically at pos

The unlock thing isnt great but honestly i dont see how it would benefit the company to make it easier

I'm an RSA (I guess ME now, but "Mobile Expert" is dumb so I don't say it) in the PNW and here it's against store policy to sell phones not on an account. The system allows it, but we're not supposed to and we don't even get commission for the sale. Surprised it's not the same everywhere.

And no, it probably wouldn't, but it also wouldn't hurt the company either, and we do a lot of things that don't strictly benefit us that are 'uncarrier' (though that seems to be dying more and more as time goes).

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Is there a way to check if a device has a balance or is on contract for MetroPCS? I have an acquaintance that is selling a Galaxy s9 for cheap but I don't the know the guy that well. The IMEI is clean for now but I'm just afraid he'll report it as stolen afterwards and the device gets blacklisted. I called MetroPCS and they wouldn't provide any info.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The only thing I could say is to meet your friend at the MetroPCS store and have them verify with you both that its not bound to any financing agreement or contract or whatever- assuming its his account

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
That might be my only option. Thanks

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Thing is, if he's the first owner, even if you do that he could then still go and report it stolen and get it blacklisted.

I mean, I don't know why he'd do that for literally zero reason except to gently caress you over, but he could.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Daily Forecast posted:

Thing is, if he's the first owner, even if you do that he could then still go and report it stolen and get it blacklisted.

I mean, I don't know why he'd do that for literally zero reason except to gently caress you over, but he could.

idk how metro runs their poo poo, but if i sell a phone for $400, then report it lost/stolen and pay an insurance deductible on it of $200, i've still made $200- and i get a phone back out of it too.

that seems like an awfully dumb way to make $200 but alas, people do far dumber poo poo for less money every drat second of the day.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
How liberal is the trade-in policy for T-Mobile? Looking to potentially trade in my iPhone 6 for the OnePlus 6T on Thursday, but it's on it's second battery and charging port.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Nybble posted:

How liberal is the trade-in policy for T-Mobile? Looking to potentially trade in my iPhone 6 for the OnePlus 6T on Thursday, but it's on it's second battery and charging port.

Theyll check screen for cracks/lifting, water damage, and youll have to be able to remove find my iphone. That is the checklist.

Barring some special promo youll also get like 38-45 bux for that phone in a tmobile store

E: nice just saw that its a $300 trade in promo- awesome deal. Wish i had one to trade in as well now. Wonder if i can snatch a free one somehow...

Worf fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Oct 31, 2018

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Yeah, I wasn’t planning on upgrading this year but the trade-in has me reconsidering.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
Will T-mobile accept non-US phones for trade-in? I have galaxy s7 edge duos which was never sold in the states.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

weaaddar posted:

Will T-mobile accept non-US phones for trade-in? I have galaxy s7 edge duos which was never sold in the states.

https://www.t-mobile.com/cell-phone-trade-in.html

if that model is on the list

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Statutory Ape posted:

idk how metro runs their poo poo, but if i sell a phone for $400, then report it lost/stolen and pay an insurance deductible on it of $200, i've still made $200- and i get a phone back out of it too.

that seems like an awfully dumb way to make $200 but alas, people do far dumber poo poo for less money every drat second of the day.

good point, I guess I shouldn't underestimate people's ability to be loving scumbags

weaaddar posted:

Yes. It'll just be accepted as Samsung-Generic or something.

nine16thsdago
Jun 29, 2005
fprintf(stderr, "this should never print\n");
i bought a couple of broken iphones on ebay, and combined the parts to make a working phone. apparently i picked the wrong 'guts' because the resulting phone is locked to t-mobile. can i request t-mobile to unlock the phone as a third party (i.e., i have no active tmobile account currently), or do i need to transfer all of the working bits over to the other phone (supposedly unlocked)?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

nine16thsdago posted:

i bought a couple of broken iphones on ebay, and combined the parts to make a working phone. apparently i picked the wrong 'guts' because the resulting phone is locked to t-mobile. can i request t-mobile to unlock the phone as a third party (i.e., i have no active tmobile account currently), or do i need to transfer all of the working bits over to the other phone (supposedly unlocked)?

t-mobile isn't going to unlock it for you if you arent the original account holder

E2M2
Mar 2, 2007

Ain't No Thang.
So the deals right now require you to open 2 lines for the free phones?

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

E2M2 posted:

So the deals right now require you to open 2 lines for the free phones?

Looks like it...that's a pretty terrible "black friday" deal, IMO.

And this new 36 month financing is weird...just saw a commercial for the S9, free! (after THREE YEARS of payments). That thing won't even be supported in the last year of payments lol.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

dont finance the phone for 3 years then :shrug:

tmobile is offering bogo lines of service to both new and existing customers, which is basically the only promo worth discussing rn. the $750 credit for a phone isnt bad if you have the appropriate phone to trade in

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Statutory Ape posted:

dont finance the phone for 3 years then :shrug:

tmobile is offering bogo lines of service to both new and existing customers, which is basically the only promo worth discussing rn. the $750 credit for a phone isnt bad if you have the appropriate phone to trade in

Do you have details on that? Do the credits come over 36 months?

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

they come as bill credits over the length of time that you finance the phone for, so if you do 2 year financing its 2 years of credits. my laptop is in my car and I'm in bed so I can't bring up the doc on it right now. when I mobilize today I'll grab the deets on that promo + the financing and put them in itt.

I dont think we force 36m financing on anybody, in fact I dont even think all (well qualified) customers can do it necessarily. I'll find out for sure in a few hours when I get to the office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Statutory Ape posted:

they come as bill credits over the length of time that you finance the phone for, so if you do 2 year financing its 2 years of credits. my laptop is in my car and I'm in bed so I can't bring up the doc on it right now. when I mobilize today I'll grab the deets on that promo + the financing and put them in itt.

I dont think we force 36m financing on anybody, in fact I dont even think all (well qualified) customers can do it necessarily. I'll find out for sure in a few hours when I get to the office

Thanks, appreciate it!