Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
If you're willing to shop around you can get them for MSRP now, but yeah, the lease on them is loving insane. Something like $500/mo, $2500 down, 3yr, 36k miles, $22.5k residual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

If you're willing to shop around you can get them for MSRP now, but yeah, the lease on them is loving insane. Something like $500/mo, $2500 down, 3yr, 36k miles, $22.5k residual

lmao

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Quite A Tool posted:

Lol i wish I could say my Fiesta might have a slight rattle somewhere. Seattle roads are horrible but even so this thing is basically a maraca.

The build quality on these things is so variable it makes my heart hurt. My 14 had no rattles but the wind noise was intense and there was a crazy whistle above 70 that I assume was a panel gap being *just* the right size.

My new 18 is comparatively silent and much comfier, but my "auto" hvac has already broken and one of the USB ports shorted in 2100 miles.

Thank god for warranties.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The reason I was quick about getting rid of my FiST is that the warranty was over by about a month and the AC compressor started occasionally locking up and making a loud bang. Like gently caress I was going to deal with that, off to CarMax it went since I wasn't underwater at all (quite the opposite).

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 28, 2018

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
My wife had us walk 4 times during negotiations while complaining about the price of the extended warranty/service plan until we got it for the princely sum of 500 dollars. By the time the warranty is up I'll have been through a few sets of tires, 11 or 12 oil changes, multiple sets of pads, a clutch, and miscellaneous other poo poo I won't have had to pay for. Definitely a steal, but I drat sure won't keep this thing after the warranty expires except as a track car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I'm biding my time until CTRs come off lease and I can get one <$30k... until then I am looking for a 2nd gen manual Fit for around $8k so I can drive out to a GridLife event and do the Sundae Cup.

I never knew this was a thing and now I'm going to start watching Fits on Craigslist.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Every time I think I'm sold on a FiST, I see these horror stories and it's right back to square one. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bentai posted:

Every time I think I'm sold on a FiST, I see these horror stories and it's right back to square one. :(

I don't really know anyone who's kept one long term. Maybe they'll be super cheap in a few more years.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bentai posted:

Huh, I didn't realize they were such unreliable cars.

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
If we're going to go with anecdotal evidence, I have 75k on mine and it's been hit three times (front, roof twice during two successive hurricane seasons). Still no rattles, no weird wind noises, and only the blend motor failure has occurred outside of regular fluid and filter changes. In the DC area, only two people from the local Fiesta original owners group who are actively at track days have sold the car, and of those two, one just bought a 2018 to replace his 2014.

I just want to replace mine because I'd rather have a newer example with the slightly softened suspension to hold onto for the next 6-10 years. The Fiesta does tend to have fewer issues than the Focus ST if you trust True Delta's data.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
^^ the suspension changes were a serious quality of life improvement over the 14, I highly recommend getting a new one.

Bentai posted:

Reliable, fun, cheap. Pick two.

My brand new 2018 FiST was 20k out the door with a full extended warranty/service plan, so I can't complain at all.

SeaGoatSupreme fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Oct 28, 2018

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Bentai posted:

I’ve had zero problems with mine, been turbo swapped and over 250whp since 10k miles and I’m at 27.5k now.

My hood got jumped on by some cretins and it damaged the hood latch sensor, so i bypassed that. Otherwise it’s never been in for warranty work or anything. Been a great little car so far.

From what I have seen in most of the various Facebook groups and forums, the common issues are cheap stuff. Blend door actuators and the like. But it seems like folks here have had bigger problems which is a bummer.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

pr0craztinazn posted:

If we're going to go with anecdotal evidence, I have 75k on mine and it's been hit three times (front, roof twice during two successive hurricane seasons). Still no rattles, no weird wind noises, and only the blend motor failure has occurred outside of regular fluid and filter changes. In the DC area, only two people from the local Fiesta original owners group who are actively at track days have sold the car, and of those two, one just bought a 2018 to replace his 2014.

I just want to replace mine because I'd rather have a newer example with the slightly softened suspension to hold onto for the next 6-10 years. The Fiesta does tend to have fewer issues than the Focus ST if you trust True Delta's data.

If you're anywhere near the midwest, I will sell you a set of OEM 2016 struts and springs for CHEAPPPPpppp. The fronts are still factory built with springs mounted...when I swapped them out I bought new hats/spring mounts/etc for the koni yellows I have on now. I may be moving on from that setup at some point in the near future too, now that I have a winter beater and dont have to worry about salt destroying coilovers.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bentai posted:

They are mechanically pretty much rock solid, but when it comes to squeak and rattle type stuff they're still a Fiesta. The things that go wrong are for the most part the sorts of things that are moderately annoying but can be ignored as opposed to things that make it unusable.

I just cracked 65,000 miles on my '15 yesterday and the only thing actually wrong with it is the common blend door actuator issue which I've been ignoring for a few months. I had an issue with a weird noise coming from the front wheel, but that turned out to be an incorrect fitment of aftermarket brake pads so that's not anything that can be blamed on the car.

Beyond that the car has a few minor rattles, but I also tend to pretend I'm a rally driver on unpaved back roads and have definitely had it airborne a few times.

I don't think I'd buy a new one again, but that's only because I trust the car enough that I'd happily buy a used one even knowing that every one of them has been beaten up a bit.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

wolrah posted:

They are mechanically pretty much rock solid, but when it comes to squeak and rattle type stuff they're still a Fiesta. The things that go wrong are for the most part the sorts of things that are moderately annoying but can be ignored as opposed to things that make it unusable.

This tracks perfectly with my experiences with my two. I wouldn't be afraid of being stranded in one pretty much ever as long as it has regular maintenance, but I'd give the ac/entertainment stuff the hairy eye if I was buying used.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

This tracks perfectly with my experiences with my two. I wouldn't be afraid of being stranded in one pretty much ever as long as it has regular maintenance, but I'd give the ac/entertainment stuff the hairy eye if I was buying used.

I wouldn't be concerned about the entertainment stuff, at least in the US models. All the Sync hardware is pretty similar internally, the only Fiesta-specific part is the display and well, it's a display. It's not the best system out there but it's not a buggy disaster either. Aside from the blend door bit the HVAC also seems to be solid.

Really the car's main problems are the standard cheap car problems that all revolve around NVH and materials feel.

I could also just be broken because my other car is a BMW where most of the cooling system is considered a wear item.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 29, 2018

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
So the first annoying thing to malfunction in my GTI happened recently. The red LED stripe in my driver side door no longer lights up when the headlights come on.

Can't find much info about this online at all except a really old MK7 forums post but nobody really said what they had done to resolve except one person had the dealer replace the whole door panel. Seems a bit extreme (and a good chance for rattles and poo poo to develop).

I sent my dealer a message thru the "Contact Us" email form on their site but have yet to hear back.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

wolrah posted:

I wouldn't be concerned about the entertainment stuff, at least in the US models. All the Sync hardware is pretty similar internally, the only Fiesta-specific part is the display and well, it's a display. It's not the best system out there but it's not a buggy disaster either. Aside from the blend door bit the HVAC also seems to be solid.

Really the car's main problems are the standard cheap car problems that all revolve around NVH and materials feel.

I could also just be broken because my other car is a BMW where most of the cooling system is considered a wear item.

Yeah I mean, in a thread that prominently discusses VWs, we are picking on the fiesta’s reliability :lol:

SHOTS FIRED

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
lol

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

WescottF1 posted:

So the first annoying thing to malfunction in my GTI happened recently. The red LED stripe in my driver side door no longer lights up when the headlights come on.

Can't find much info about this online at all except a really old MK7 forums post but nobody really said what they had done to resolve except one person had the dealer replace the whole door panel. Seems a bit extreme (and a good chance for rattles and poo poo to develop).

I sent my dealer a message thru the "Contact Us" email form on their site but have yet to hear back.

Call the service desk, those web forms are the easiest thing to ignore

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Rhyno posted:

I don't really know anyone who's kept one long term. Maybe they'll be super cheap in a few more years.

Depending on your definition of long term, I had my ‘14 FiST from the showroom, until last winter when it was totaled . I had just under 100k miles on it. Changed the brake pads a few times and religiously changed the oil and never had any problems with it. I even installed an AP around 30k miles (I think), but never tracked it and only really floored it a few times

It really was the best car I ever owned and wish I had gotten another (although with its discontinuation, I’m not sure what it means for the already hard to find rotors, etc)

e; I see someone mentioned the HVAC blend door, and that did indeed start clicking several months before the wreck.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran

BraveUlysses posted:

Call the service desk, those web forms are the easiest thing to ignore

Got an appointment in two weeks to have it looked at and they'll probably have to order whatever parts and have me come back a second time.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
My 90s GM car was assembled with glue that in 10 years dries out and loses all adhesion. I see VW has perfected the process to 2 months.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
my very German colleague bought his Superior German Hot Hatch and within a week of ownership reached up to adjust the center rear view mirror, which promptly detached from the windshield

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I didn’t know Ford was a German brand.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Are there any other cars as fun and as small as the Fiesta ST now that it's done in NA?

A Fit Si would own

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I have a Mk1 pickup truck with the 1.6 NA diesel, do I get to play?

SUCK MY FORTY-FIVE HORSEPOWER COCK, WORLD

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

Are there any other cars as fun and as small as the Fiesta ST now that it's done in NA?

A Fit Si would own

Would like to see a Civic Type R engine in a Fit or CR-Z.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Fortunately, KTuned has already test fit the motor in basically every common chassis and found that existing mounts they sell seem to work in a number of cases and most require little reconfiguration.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!

Monkey Fracas posted:

A Fit Si would own

My new turbo Civic Si is way more fun than my FiST was and weighs about the same. Has a factory LSD and a chassis thats light-years more Ridgid. Drive one!

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

A Fit Si would own

If there were a fit si made in the past two years you bet your rear end I'd have one.

But now that I have a fiesta, I'm obligated to say

imports r dum

(test drive the civic si, they are a drat hoot and I'd have bought one if any honda dealer near me wanted to make a deal for less than msrp)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dr.Caligari posted:

Depending on your definition of long term, I had my ‘14 FiST from the showroom, until last winter when it was totaled . I had just under 100k miles on it. Changed the brake pads a few times and religiously changed the oil and never had any problems with it. I even installed an AP around 30k miles (I think), but never tracked it and only really floored it a few times

It really was the best car I ever owned and wish I had gotten another (although with its discontinuation, I’m not sure what it means for the already hard to find rotors, etc)

e; I see someone mentioned the HVAC blend door, and that did indeed start clicking several months before the wreck.

I should have been clear, none of my local dudes have kept one for very long. Just one guy who's doing an insane build.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Monkey Fracas posted:

A Fit Si would own

:haw:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Quit hoarding them!

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Voltage posted:

My new turbo Civic Si is way more fun than my FiST was and weighs about the same. Has a factory LSD and a chassis thats light-years more Ridgid. Drive one!

Yeah the new Si appears to Own Bones. Definitely on my radar. That's like 400-500 lighter than my FoST drat

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

2900lbs is pretty impressive for the size of that car. The new fwd Honda’s seem like excellent platforms.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

What would be the process of getting one of these up to, hypothetically, Pennsylvania?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

What would be the process of getting one of these up to, hypothetically, Pennsylvania?

You're gonna kill yourself driving that in Appalachia.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

tetrapyloctomy posted:

As easy as if you were buying a 1998 Ford Taurus because you didn't say California and these two are already here. Sign the title over, you go to the DMV in Pennsylvania, ez pz.
Getting one yourself is also easy too just have hoops to jump through and time to dedicate. We have the import thread all about it you might have seen.

And just so I contribute to the actual topic:

https://auc.japancardirect.com/on-K9FX8RfbR151q.htm

I think it's pretty hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Wow that owns a ton, even with the mods