Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Somfin posted:

Tower spoiler:

Multiple 2Bs lose to one 9S. And 9S is a pansy. Canonically.

Multiple 9Ss also lose to one 2B because she ruthlessly murks him every time he gets too close to the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

RyokoTK posted:

Multiple 9Ss also lose to one 2B because she ruthlessly murks him every time he gets too close to the truth.

it's been awhile but those were always surprise attacks. 9S wrecks her head on

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Len posted:

it's been awhile but those were always surprise attacks. 9S wrecks her head on

Isn’t the justification for 9S only getting one weapon that he needs to be hamstrung somehow so 2B actually has some kind of chance?

The below-the-surface story and motivations in Nier Automata are really good, that’s not the thing dragging down that particular game (although there are definitely multiple facets of it that do belong here).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

RyokoTK posted:

Isn’t the justification for 9S only getting one weapon that he needs to be hamstrung somehow so 2B actually has some kind of chance?

The below-the-surface story and motivations in Nier Automata are really good, that’s not the thing dragging down that particular game (although there are definitely multiple facets of it that do belong here).

I reinstalled it a month or so back but I didn't feel like doing everything again from 0. It was a blast that first time through though

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Same, I played it twice back to back and now the idea of doing route A for a third time is like actively repellant.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Rockstar game controls have been what's kept me from playing them going back to the original GTA. I want to like them and try to get into them but something about the aiming and targeting just feels off to me. Never got the hang of it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

BiggerBoat posted:

Rockstar game controls have been what's kept me from playing them going back to the original GTA. I want to like them and try to get into them but something about the aiming and targeting just feels off to me. Never got the hang of it.

I was just about to post “the Rockstar shooting is fine, I’ve never had a problem with it, but...” and then bitch about how the characters are all slow and sluggish and you have to mash a button continuously to make them move at a decent speed.

But I’m replaying the first RDR now before I get into the sequel and before I put the controller down to make that post I saw a prostitute getting attacked by a john, pulled my gun to try to rescue her, then immediately got gunned down by 8 bystanders because the targeting system decided to lock on to some random guy in the background instead of the bad guy right in front of me, which the rest of the town interpreted as hostility.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
Did anyone like lasooing horses and herding cows in the first one? I'm worried RDR2 will be full of tiny chores and RDR at least having those two and them being mostly optional made it bearable.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
The problem with rdr2 is that the control scheme is insanely bloated and counterintuitive and you’ll be threatening to shoot people instead of politely greeting them and strangling and beating ladies you’re trying to rescue more often than not
Also yeah Arthur lumbers like he’s 500 pounds of solid lead. Navigating inside areas or places with lots of trees is a loving nightmare

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LeJackal posted:

Was it one of the newest editions they charged you 60 dollars for buying? Seems like in the seven years since then they might have fixed some bugs.

Didn't cost me a thing on account of already owning the full original, but yes I'm playing the "Special Edition". It would've been nice if they fixed it but SE was mostly about porting the game to new consoles with better graphics so I'm not surprised. Also apparently even folks who maintain the unofficial patch have played whackamole with that quest so one wonders if Bethesda could do much better without rebuilding it from the ground up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I see the usual Rockstar disillusionment is coming in on time if not a fair bit quicker than usual.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

My Lovely Horse posted:

I see the usual Rockstar disillusionment is coming in on time if not a fair bit quicker than usual.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a good game, it’s gorgeous and the rootin’ tootin’ cowboy shootin’ is pretty fun too as well as some of the sim elements but man that control scheme where every button does something different depending on what npc is nearby and also if you’re holding a weapon or not makes things too complicated

Another complaint is that it takes entirely too long to unlock fast travel and it’s only one way, and even though you can have your horse automatically navigate roads to waypoints that are entirely too far away you can’t even set the controller down to get a drink or take a poo poo because there’s high probabilities you’ll run into rival enemies or highwaymen and you’re hosed then

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

I think the disillusionment kicks in way faster now than ever before, because people can easily just snap up recordings of bugs and glitches in a way they couldn't on last gen titles.

(Both consoles constantly record, so that you can snap up the last couple of minutes if something interesting happens. I think the PS4 does 15 minutes worth? )

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It does. I'm actually using that feature for the first time in years now that I've started on Yakuza.

And don't get me wrong either, I usually enjoy Rockstar games a hell of a lot. It's just they have a pattern and I'm continually amused how little people pick up on it. A week before release the internet starts being all hyped and from when the first stores break street date you can practically hit a stopwatch.

e: I don't even mean anyone here in particular, just, y'know, people. :)

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 21:59 on Oct 28, 2018

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

To specific I expected these issues after GTAV (the first Rockstar game I really kinda started resenting their design weaknesses in) so it's not like I expected this game to finally break the mold. I got exactly what I expected but I'm still enjoying it. I just don't know how they didn't sit down one day and realize "no one enjoys moving like this, it's not fun, it's not even realistic".

Maybe the snappy controls in MGSV and Spider-Man have spoiled be to this kind of thing. Even CDPR patched Witcher 3 to avoid this problem.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

My Lovely Horse posted:

i've been kinda expecting this to happen relatively quickly with how insane the internet hype's been on that game for the past couple of weeks

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I kind of half like it half dislike it, but yeah R* is obsessed with the "weighty feeling" of character movement.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is it a bad time to say I don't know why people were excited for RDR2 given the first one was, at best, alright but bloated with poo poo?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sunswipe posted:

Is it a bad time to say I don't know why people were excited for RDR2 given the first one was, at best, alright but bloated with poo poo?

It's probably pretty tonedeaf to ask why people were excited about RDR2 yes

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Whenever you're defeated in the final battle against Bowser in Super Mario Odyssey, you end up at the very start of the whole sequence. So you have to walk down a corridor, into a hall, then watch (or skip, thankfully) two cutscenes, before you can fight the big guy again. It takes maybe a minute, tops, to get back to it, but it seriously breaks the flow. Just put me back directly into the fight, please.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Deified Data posted:

It's probably pretty tonedeaf to ask why people were excited about RDR2 yes
It's more about me wanting to show off how much smarter I am than the plebs.

Undead Nightmare was alright, though.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Somfin posted:

Tower spoiler:

Multiple 2Bs lose to one 9S. And 9S is a pansy. Canonically.

They were fakes, though. 2B models but without her personality or combat experience. 9S at the time was also completely losing it and significantly powered up by his insanity. Not to mention that his hacking skills are extremely effective against other machines and bypass any need to actually be good at fighting

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

100 volleyball returns in mario odyssey :whitewater:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Route C in Nier Automata is really bugging me, I sure do love slowly ambling along while a virus prevents me from jumping or moving fast at random while robots follow me and stunlock me to death.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Digirat posted:

100 volleyball returns in mario odyssey :whitewater:

Do this in coop. If there's no one willing to shoulder the burden with you, simply place mario in the middle of the court and take control of cappy yourself. He's waaaay more faster and maneuverable.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Assassin's Creed III got rightly poo poo on for it's rigid mission-scoring, like not shoving anyone during a chase or not getting burned in a burning house, and the series widely ditched the scoring-system from Origins onward. The only reason why RDR2 has the exact same-system from ACIII is probably because Rockstar games are made in an insular environment where no one pays any attention to QoL changes that are adapted by gaming-creators as a whole.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
What, you don’t want to replay a 15 minute walk and talk mission to get gold cause you didn’t pick your hat up fast enough?

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

do yourself a favor and ignore the mission ratings your first time through. they are bad in general but at least r* only reveals the objectives after the mission is over to stop assassins creed syndrome

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing Nights of Azure for...some reason, I have no idea. I think I'm so burned out from open world games that I grabbed the first thing on my shelf that wasn't one.

The game's bad. It has some...interesting ideas buried in the repetitive combat and nonsensical plot, but it's bad. The game mechanics feel disjointed as hell, the pokemon-style elements are largely pointless, and despite an actually decent attempt at a love story between two women, any attempts at making a thoughtful narrative is destroyed by the fact that both these women have comically large chests with fully implemented chest physics and, to level up, one is dressed in a neglige while the other is in a cross between a torn up teddie and a bikini.

My 'favourite' part of the game, however, is how hideously the trophy list has been translated, with almost every trophy having some sort of mangled english to it, either in the title or description. For example:

Chain Begginer (not a pun, just mispelled)
Familiar Collector (the monsters are called Servans, not Familiars)
"Capture any dungeon with equipping 'Hamelin pipe'"
And this trio:
"Director familiar for the first time."
"Directed familiar for 100 times."
"Director familiar for 1,000 times."

And my favourite:
"Anders reached max level."

This is telling you to level the main character to max level. The main character's named is Arnice.

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Assassin's Creed III got rightly poo poo on for it's rigid mission-scoring, like not shoving anyone during a chase or not getting burned in a burning house, and the series widely ditched the scoring-system from Origins onward. The only reason why RDR2 has the exact same-system from ACIII is probably because Rockstar games are made in an insular environment where no one pays any attention to QoL changes that are adapted by gaming-creators as a whole.

It's not like they have time to play other games while perma-crunching on their own.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
4X games with quest systems, especially story campaigns, that provide story and alternate routes of winning: good.

4X games with quest systems that don't tell you exactly what tile to go to/where exactly the army or unit(s) you need to deal with: bad.

4X games that do the above but also don't tell you exactly what you need to do beyond a vague description like "Survive!": really bad.

4X games that do both of the above and even when you know you've completed a step the game makes you wait 15-20 turns before starting the next step, to say nothing if when you can't tell if you've completed the step or not: Gladius: Relics of War.

I have no idea if it's bugs or just bad design (I'm leaning towards the latter given how bare-bones the game is), but the campaign story in this game may as well not exist from what I've seen so far. It takes so long to get the quests, and the quests themselves are so vaguely described, that you may as well forget them and just kill the other players.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

In Assassin's Creed: India, the rank that gets you the lowest score and will probably mean you're missing out on crucial upgrades is uh, 'Assassin'.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Necrothatcher posted:

In Assassin's Creed: India, the rank that gets you the lowest score and will probably mean you're missing out on crucial upgrades is uh, 'Assassin'.

To be fair, if you know someone is an assassin they're probably a fairly crappy one.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Necrothatcher posted:

Isn't the Assassin's Creed ranking thing now canonically being done by Abstergo? That could almost be clever if it was deliberate. "You did really poo poo? Assassin. Killed everyone, didn't get spotted, clean getaway? You've earned our highest rank, Templar."

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The Thieves Guild in Skyrim is just so bad. I feel like the main storyline is reasonably well know for being a complete and total mess, featuring multiple segments where control is taken away from the player, a mystery that breaks down the more you think about it, and forces the player to get roped into some crazy cult bullshit to complete it. But I think the real tragedy is that they clearly spent so much time on that piece of poo poo that it devoured resources that could've been used for, y'know, actual thief poo poo.

In order to become Arch-Mage of the Wizard's College you go on a great big adventure, plumbing caves for legendary artifacts, talking to supernatural beings, and getting into all sorts of shenanigans before finally saving the day from a substantial magical threat. In order to become Guild Master of the Thieves Guild (despite the core storyline explicitly putting you in charge already) you have to grind out a bunch of randomized jobs to unlock four incredibly basic side missions no different than any other minor quest in the game after which they finally formally declare you the leader.

You'd think there might be some kind of big heist job to pull, but nope. The closest you get is following somebody else into an Indiana Jones scenario to steal some sacred jewels.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've finally gotten around to playing God of War for real and I'm enjoying it a lot more now that I own it than I did as a rental.

That said the boat goes so incredibly slow and I haven't heard any new stories in awhile.

Also either most of the PS4s with the game have never connected to PSN or players just don't care because less than 35% of people haven't explored the entire lake of the nine

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The Lake of Nine is really big.

There's also a point where most people just want to get it done with and ignore the side stuff that still is being unlocked.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Samuringa posted:

The Lake of Nine is really big.

There's also a point where most people just want to get it done with and ignore the side stuff that still is being unlocked.

I don't know how much of the game is left but I got the trophy and just went to a frigid north place to find a chisel. Admittedly there's two quests I left undone because I didn't feel like rowing that far and I have to get fast travel at some point

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Len posted:

I don't know how much of the game is left but I got the trophy and just went to a frigid north place to find a chisel. Admittedly there's two quests I left undone because I didn't feel like rowing that far and I have to get fast travel at some point

You have a surprising amount of game left and fast travel is basically only freely useable at the very end/postgame

Which is one of the things dragging it down for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

And I saw some of those valkyrie fights, so there's definitely a point where I probably would have just noped out and run for the finish line.