Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

JBP posted:

I don't think it needs a work around. Arthur slides the guns back into the saddle with an animation for hard riding. I always thought the visual representation of it was so clear that I never forgot to grab a rifle (which only takes a moment) from the saddle.
A visual representation of "gently caress, no. Stop it. Stop putting my bow away because you have not used it in the last 15 seconds. Just in time for an Elk to jump out of the woods."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler
I tried being good but the game hosed me too many times. Now I’m one of the psychopaths in Westworld. Somehow the game is more at peace with this choice and has let me get away with so much.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Section Z posted:

A visual representation of "gently caress, no. Stop it. Stop putting my bow away because you have not used it in the last 15 seconds. Just in time for an Elk to jump out of the woods."

You could have just had it equipped. I get what they're going for with the realism poo poo, but some of it is definitely annoying when you want to video gamey capitalise on stuff like that.

Nodelphi posted:

I tried being good but the game hosed me too many times. Now I’m one of the psychopaths in Westworld. Somehow the game is more at peace with this choice and has let me get away with so much.

The first things I spent my money on in the game were a black duster, a pair of schofield revolvers, spurs, plated black boots and a black hat.

Last night I robbed a house by a lake during a thunderstorm in the dead of night and Arthur looked legitimately frightening. I hoped no one would be home, because I knew that I was going to have to kill them.

JBP fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Oct 31, 2018

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
Hey, I got one weird question, I picked up a pack of premium cigarettes and got some cards with it. I've found other packs, but I can never pick them up. It says I don't have room. Where are the premium cigarettes stored? Cause I've sold most of my items and think I have space everywhere.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

AxeManiac posted:

Hey, I got one weird question, I picked up a pack of premium cigarettes and got some cards with it. I've found other packs, but I can never pick them up. It says I don't have room. Where are the premium cigarettes stored? Cause I've sold most of my items and think I have space everywhere.

Same slot in the items tab as all your canned corn and peaches. Left on the wheel. Chain smoke the premiums so you can always get cards when you find a pack.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

AxeManiac posted:

When it says you don't have room for an item it means you have the maximum amount of that specific item. (Premium)Cigarettes are in provisions and you can hold 20 of each type.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I thought beating on Mr. Howard made me feel bad. Then the game had me beat up an actual mentally handicapped person.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh dang it, I forgot those cards could be part of a pack and I haven't been smoking.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

I think Arthur just got raped....

The swamps are not a friendly place.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

How do I hunt properly? Everytime I skin something it’s poor quality that nets me no money

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

I named my horse BoJack because I'm uncreative.

"Shadowfax" checking in.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

IDONTPOST posted:

How do I hunt properly? Everytime I skin something it’s poor quality that nets me no money

Look at the animal and hold R1 to identify it. Read the tool tip (it will say what kind of weapon to hunt it with) and there will be a one to three star rating under the animal as well once you have studied it's kind.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

"Shadowfax" checking in.

I have three horses:

Ironhead Sam is my warhorse for dangerous poo poo.
Garfield is my big work horse that I just don't want to part with.
Westerly is my Arabian and I named him that because he's fast as hell and that's where we came from.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003
I only get a new hat when I am challenged to a brawl. If the guy manages to knock my hat off he will, then I go full on Danny McBride in Hot Rod. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmxjOIoGXbs&t=20s

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

JBP posted:

I don't think it needs a work around. Arthur slides the guns back into the saddle with an animation for hard riding. I always thought the visual representation of it was so clear that I never forgot to grab a rifle (which only takes a moment) from the saddle.

Right, ok, but "remembering to grab a rifle from the saddle" is what I mean when I say it's easy enough to work around the problem...I don't think you're actually disagreeing with me on that front.

I guess what I mean is that most limited-equipment games like this, going back at least as far as Halo 1, trust that when a player equips two weapons, those are the weapons the player wants to use until further notice. With this one, the game second-guesses you when the horse goes over a certain speed. It's not the worst thing in the world to deal with, but what value does dealing with it add to the game?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Just accidentally ran over the dog at the Wagon Fence. Whatever terrible things happen to Arthur, I now deserve it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ainsley McTree posted:

Right, ok, but "remembering to grab a rifle from the saddle" is what I mean when I say it's easy enough to work around the problem...I don't think you're actually disagreeing with me on that front.

I guess what I mean is that most limited-equipment games like this, going back at least as far as Halo 1, trust that when a player equips two weapons, those are the weapons the player wants to use until further notice. With this one, the game second-guesses you when the horse goes over a certain speed. It's not the worst thing in the world to deal with, but what value does dealing with it add to the game?

I thought you might have meant tapping L1 on the horse or something to keep it equipped which seems like a huge hassle. I haven't been bothered but it but yeah I agree it's probably a huge pain for some when compounded with the game loving up your gear choices.

It should let you retrieve last used with a button tap though.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Ambushing bounty hunters at long range with the rolling block owns btw. You also make a lot of money as they generally have a few bucks on them plus platinum belt buckles and poo poo

Shooting the bloodhounds is less fun though :(

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Swear the God the blackjack is fixed in this game

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Nodelphi posted:

After playing for a bit, I honestly do believe this is how it’s meant to be played. Nearly every story mission ends with a new bounty around your neck. I’ve decided I’m not paying anything off anymore. I’m just gonna lean into being the bad guy.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

DarthBlingBling posted:

Swear the God the blackjack is fixed in this game

It is super annoying and tedious you can't skip the other players.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Anyone find Millesani Claim? Does the message in that mine shaft have any significance? Place was creepy as hell.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Killcams with the maxim gun are so brutal.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Finally unlocked fishing, so I decided to ride out on a fishing trip. I noticed that while your line is in the water, there's an option to hold L2 to GRIP REEL. Why would I want to GRIP REEL? What does it do? as far as I could tell the tutorial didn't say anything about GRIP REEL.

E: is it for manual drag to keep big fish from taking line?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

titties posted:

Finally unlocked fishing, so I decided to ride out on a fishing trip. I noticed that while your line is in the water, there's an option to hold L2 to GRIP REEL. Why would I want to GRIP REEL? What does it do? as far as I could tell the tutorial didn't say anything about GRIP REEL.

E: is it for manual drag to keep big fish from taking line?

Isn't it so you can drag the rod around or up to deal with a fish while it fights? You can reel faster by pulling the rod up and reeling when it isn't fighting too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

GreatGreen posted:

So infinite horse whistling distance is a cheat code, which means if you activate it, you can't save your game anymore.

It also means that it's unlikely to ever be an actual ability you get because Rockstar considers this feature, a feature universally present in every other game with a mount system ever made, to be cheating.

Fan loving tastic.

This game has a number of "realism"-related features that really should have been optional. I can understand why people enjoy them, but it sucks being forced into dealing with them.

TMMadman posted:

Yeah I hate the inventory system. It's so clunky and dumb. It's really annoying to use it.

Edit - also I wish that eating was an optional thing. I totally forget to do it while wandering around looking at poo poo and hunting and then find myself underweight. It's not really fun imo.

Yeah, Fallout 3/NV/4 made that setting optional for a reason. It's usually not too hard to just munch some food occasionally to heal myself, but it's annoying that I have to think about it in the first place.

I also agree whole-heartedly about the inventory. Why couldn't it just work sorta like Witcher 3's or something?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 31, 2018

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I have lost the same mission-related duel NINE loving TIMES. How do people actually aim with loving controllers and think it's even a REMOTELY acceptable way of doing things? All I do is wave the god-damned cursor around!

Wizard Whateley
Apr 12, 2002

I am a bootlicking scab who loves seeing people be paid less than living wages. If the workers don't like it they should just kill themselves. Let me know who is organizing so I can report them to management. I pine for the days of the Pinkertons.
Got another annoying, ungoogleable question for you guys. How do I hammer my pistol to perform a rapid "fan fire"? I did it once in a tutorial and a day later I don't remember how I did it. And googling isn't doing poo poo for me. Been experimenting with different button combinations but nothing is working.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Wizard Whateley posted:

Got another annoying, ungoogleable question for you guys. How do I hammer my pistol to perform a rapid "fan fire"? I did it once in a tutorial and a day later I don't remember how I did it. And googling isn't doing poo poo for me. Been experimenting with different button combinations but nothing is working.

Don't hold aim.

and hit R2 fast obviously.

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

nice i just found out the bounty hunters can jump you while you're trapped in the crafting menu out in the wilderness

fuckin genius level ai if you think about it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

IIRC, you just pull R1 a bunch without aiming and you'll hip-fire while fanning the hammer.

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

Also for that reason the permanence of events is super frustrating. Like, I was just having a shoot off with some Mexican guy and in between rounds I went to reload and oh, Arthur put his gun away cause he just does that whenever he wants, so instead of reloading I shoved the guy which aggroed him and caused him to start shooting me. I just let him kill me in the hopes of finishing the mission but he’s gone now, of course. I feel like that kind of poo poo happens way too much and it’s so frustrating.

This thread moves too fast but they definitely respawn. I killed the poor mexican sharpshooter by accident the first time around and he still came back a week later to do the same quest.

tjones
May 13, 2005
Just reached Chapter 5.

God damnit Rockstar, I just want a bank robbing, stage coach poaching dusty rear end western simulator. Not a political insurrection castaway Caribbean poo poo fest. There was a wide margin of people who loathed the Mexican revolution storyline in RDR1 in what was an otherwise awesome locale. Why the gently caress would you throw this in the middle of what was a somewhat OK story? The only pirate I want to be is a prairie pirate.

It doesn't get any better until end game, does it?

EDIT: Do not complete the last big mission in Chapter 4 or you will drastically change locations. It's the bank job in Saint Denis.

tjones fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 31, 2018

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

tjones posted:

Just reached Chapter 5.

God damnit Rockstar, I just want a bank robbing, stage coach poaching dusty rear end western simulator. Not a political insurrection castaway Caribbean poo poo fest. There was a wide margin of people who loathed the Mexican revolution storyline in RDR1 in what was an otherwise awesome locale. Why the gently caress would you throw this in the middle of what was a somewhat OK story? The only pirate I want to be is a prairie pirate.

It doesn't get any better until end game, does it?

That entire sequence loving owns and is exactly what a guy like Leone would have done if he'd had the money. It also doesn't go forever. You're probably going to get mad at the end of it too but ah well that's you. I love the whole "bad men get put in situation that needs some extremely bad men" western trope.

E: revel in how much fun Dutch is having if nothing else. He loving loves it.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 31, 2018

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

If I found a new horse I want, do I lose my original horse? Do I need to have or do something specific to store the old one first?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Hobo Clown posted:

If I found a new horse I want, do I lose my original horse? Do I need to have or do something specific to store the old one first?

Take your saddle off your old horse, put it on your new horse. You only have a certain amount of stable space, 4 I think, so if you have 4 horses the one you were riding will go away. Make sure to sell before that happens.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

gently caress I regret plowing through the story and not having fun in chapter 2 and 3 when things were more chill and it felt right to be riding around doing stupid bullshit.

e: I wish I had a manual save earlier in the game :(

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
The grizzly adams man to whom we've all stole the hat from is perma pissed off with me. Went back to Valentine later on and he immediately chases after me, sans his hat, and attempts to beat the poo poo out of me.

I was wearing his hat at the time which may have triggered him.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

JBP posted:

gently caress I regret plowing through the story and not having fun in chapter 2 and 3 when things were more chill and it felt right to be riding around doing stupid bullshit.

I’m in chapter 2 and I think I enjoy exploring the world, hunting, and fishing more than the plot missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Brain Curry posted:

I’m in chapter 2 and I think I enjoy exploring the world, hunting, and fishing more than the plot missions.

I got sucked into the plot around chapter three. It starts to snowball along a bit. I also hosed up by not going on the little cattle rustling missions and poo poo because they only show up at particular times or something. I don't quite understand some of the camp mechanics around those things. I had two white missions to rustle cattle and to rob houses, but they never showed up again that I saw. Maybe I'll just finish the story missions since I'm so far in and then do other poo poo idk.

I guess as a warning without spoilers, don't start chapter 5 in earnest if you don't want to barrel headlong at a million miles per hour.