Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Jay Rust posted:

Kill corridors are inherently ugly and I refuse to use them

What about an "urban warfare" defensive setup to your base interior? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

:yeah:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Welcome Ken, we'll be taking that :sever:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is my preferred approach to defence, and extremely effective for mountain complexes to defend against bugs. You need a way for your colonists to evacuate and plenty of routes to attack the bugs.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
I have never built a killbox. I always roleplay out my defenses, making them look realistic, because I am a moron. Thanks for reading.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Kill corridors are inherently ugly and I refuse to use them

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Sillybones posted:

I have never built a killbox. I always roleplay out my defenses, making them look realistic, because I am a moron. Thanks for reading.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Meridian posted:

Well, grabbed the game because it was time. I am ready to horribly fail my colonists.

i envy you getting to play for the first time :tipshat:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Sillybones posted:

Good for you. I do build choke pointed fighting areas but I haven't built a turret since like Alpha 9.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sillybones posted:

I use Rainbeau's fertile fields and concrete mods, which adds a somewhat prolonged crafting pathway towards concrete (shocking, I know) and interestingly enough, embrasures (walls with shooty holes in them).

You can then at some point build walls of steel and then plasteel reinforced concrete, which are rather tough. It can then be combined with Fences and Floor mod to give a nice steel fence with barbed wire, dotted with concrete bunkers overseeing a chainlink entrance way feeling.

I found out today that thrumbo horns make surprisingly good melee weapons.

Infestation happened close to where the power armor was kept, and I was not fast enough realizing I should go get my melee into them before the bugs crawled out:

Herring does the needed "shoot the bugs and run" job:

All my melee folk lived, with only one permanent eye injury among the three:

Note that Nara is complaining to Sell about life's annoyances - I like to think it's about having to clean gallons of bug blood off the walls, and not about her numerous bug-inflicted wounds, because she's a masochist.

And for a cropped base pic:

Notable mods...

Realistic beds means no more silver beds. :( They're always made of wood, but what changes are the sheets. Thus, you can sleep on a legendary thrumbofur royal bed. It also gives beds a comfy temperature range, so you can have a bit more leeway where pawns sleep, temperature wise. It's an interesting mod and made my, YOU CAN'T HAVE SILVER SHEETS itch stop.

Glowstone - mine a rock, stick in ground, free light, so makes sense why people think it's OP. Can use Floor Lamps instead for nice floor designs as in glowstone, but requiring electricity!

Rainbeau's Concrete and Fertile Fields mods, which created the defense boxes in the north. Nobody comes through the east because it's basically sand and then deep water, which is even easier for my ranged colonists to mow down anything. I plan to create some funnels around the defense towers.

Rimcuisine, Horses, Animal Collab Project, Expanded Prosthetics (not RBSE or EPOE), Weapon Tech, and Sparkling Worlds.

Oh, and Facial Stuff and Dianne's defaults to give the colonists faces, hands, feet, and a bobbing walk!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Yeah, I'm endlessly surprised that more people don't use grid setups and urban warfare. It's extremely efficient AND the strongest possible defensive setup.

The only real downside is it takes a shitload of micro, which I guess is why, but you can merge it with an internal killbox also and then you have best of both worlds.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Coolguye posted:

that checklist is so loving colossally worthless i question why it's even still in the game

I use the checklist and I play on the difficulty above rough whose name is currently slipping my mind. :shobon: I get really tired of setting manual priorities for everyone once I'm above a dozen colonists so I like to set and forget.

I use this mod though, which makes it infinitely more useful by making the options a lot more granular, such as dividing the way-too-broad "crafting" job into smithing/tailoring/etc: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1157350972

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What’s good to aim for when it comes to kitting out your colonist for getting raided?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Everyone has melee weapons except for one guy with the minigun shooting into melee.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

DrManiac posted:

What’s good to aim for when it comes to kitting out your colonist for getting raided?

Early on: bolt-action rifles are solid and reliable on anyone who can shoot worth a drat, and revolvers are a decent cheap option on those who can't shoot worth a drat. Armor is a bit of a luxury early on so you'll be dependent on cover and hoping you don't get hit.

Middle game: You can start transitioning basically everyone to assault rifles, since they're functionally the king of weapons - great range, great rate of fire, and decent damage. Your armor situation here is going to be a duster(preferably devilstrand) over flak armor and with a simple or advanced helmet.

Late game: Charge rifles are the creme de la creme of vanilla Rimworld weaponry, but only for good shooters; in the hands of mediocre or bad shooters the assault rifle is still going to do more work due to having a higher base accuracy and somewhat better range. Your armor situation should be marine helmets and devilstrand dusters over flak. Marine armor is powerful but is also very expensive and not conducive to day to day wear due to slowing you down a noticeable amount; it's best used on teams you're sending out to knock over enemy outposts or stashed in an armory near your defenses for people to suit up into as a raid comes in.

Melee setups basically boil down to clubs early on, then longswords and maces as you get better crafters with better materials to work with(plasteel for longswords, uranium for maces). The armor situation is also the same except you're going to want shield belts.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Get Better Pawn Control and Gear Up and Go so you can press a button to scramble your pawns to a rally point when a raid comes. On top of being super useful and efficient for armor durability, it's incredibly cool and I never get tired of doing it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What are some good mods for a prolonged tribal game? Something about crashlanding and then building a wind turbine and air conditioning a day or two later doesn't sit right with me.

I've seen the medieval mod thrown around a bit, but it seems like it adds to much junk.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If you're looking for an extended stay in the pre-electrical tech band, Medieval Times is basically your only option. There's a few other mods that adds a couple bits and bobs like Tribal Essentials but Medieval Times is the only one that adds a meaty amount of stuff.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If Tribal Essentials ever gets updated, that’s a good one.

RimCuisine is nice as it adds a few early industrial food preservation things - hardtack, dried meat, pickles, that sort of thing - which can make needing a freezer not an immediate thing. If you use certain ingredients in pemmican they can even provide a small moodlet - no fine meal, but better than nothing.

One of the harder things as tribals is surviving certain diseases. Either you resign yourself to possible dying off to an illness sweep, or you find mods that add blood filtration bonuses through different means - some add consumables (spectago tea, psychoid tea, antibiotics) or new furniture that goes adjacent to beds or bedrolls as a kind of pre-vitals monitor.

If you’re doing a tribal run with normal world factions, you’re going to need to add defense mods (embrasures, etc) because unless you decide to just use enemy weapons you’re going to be outgunned and out numbered quick. People who are far better at playing the game probably could do without... Or, you get Faction Control mod and Tribal Raiders and you can set a tribal planet (mechanoids still come!)

That’s how I set my games - solo or duo start, Tribal, Tribal world, 75% research speed, no components at start. I give the starters a charge rifle or two, but otherwise guns come from cryptosleep caskets or world quest/events until I finally get around to even getting enough components and research to even consider making my own.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I think I need to start on at least 300x300. I just did a 275x275 or whatever the higher medium one is and I had the entire place stripped to the wires by year 2.5 or so.

It doesn't help that I had a toxic fallout for two seasons in two years, causing me to go into a mad frenzy to harvest every plant and animal on the screen as I could before the fallout killed it.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Joseance posted:

One of my colonists was miserable because she had 2 husband's die affecting her mood lol

In my current game the first two one-person raids I had were the spouses of two of my starting colonists, and both of the raiders were killed, so I had near-constant mood breaks taking out 2/3 of my peeps virtually from the get-go.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I recently had a pawn's great-grandmother drop in a pod crash, which was the most distant relationship I'd ever seen. I let her die in the interests of science to see how bad the mood hit was (also she was really old and had health issues, I didn't have room for dead weight) and it turned out to be something paltry like -4 for "my kin died". Sorry great gam-gam but I will forget all about you once I finish this nice meal!

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Gadzuko posted:

I recently had a pawn's great-grandmother drop in a pod crash, which was the most distant relationship I'd ever seen. I let her die in the interests of science to see how bad the mood hit was (also she was really old and had health issues, I didn't have room for dead weight) and it turned out to be something paltry like -4 for "my kin died". Sorry great gam-gam but I will forget all about you once I finish this nice meal!

Ever since my great-grandma died, eating these lavish meals has barely felt any better than eating the same meal but without venison. It's like, why even bother anymore, you know?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Psychology mod updated for 1.0

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Whoops half the map is now off limits because of the sniper robot I let out of a cave.

I like this game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if it has that kind of vision because you’re on a flatland or something the next raid will sort it out

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I don't know why I did this. It's not super efficient but making a town that's basically immune to sieges has been nice.

Still not done, but soon I hope.

I'm basically out of existing marble or slate and need to keep digging for more blocks.

I usually have like 500 meals but I left them suspended without noticing and it got real low. Food is handled out front which is something I'm going to rectify next I just need a bit more power.

edit: also sappers are about to become a problem. Need some more plasteel to set up interior defenses on the right side.

Sankis fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 31, 2018

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.
I had a colonists die from ceiling collapse while mining. Is there any way to mine out a whole area and avoid ceiling collapse without leaving support beams?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

yorkinshire posted:

I had a colonists die from ceiling collapse while mining. Is there any way to mine out a whole area and avoid ceiling collapse without leaving support beams?

No, there isn't; colonists will happily dig or deconstruct anything you tell them to even if it will cause a ceiling collapse that may or may not kill them. To avoid this you need to give your dig commands smartly and leave enough support for the roof to not cave in, stop digging, remove the now-exposed roof(or build a support pillar or two if it's not removable), then continue digging at the stuff you initially left.

yorkinshire
Apr 28, 2009

In space no one can hear your dope beats.

Kanos posted:

No, there isn't; colonists will happily dig or deconstruct anything you tell them to even if it will cause a ceiling collapse that may or may not kill them. To avoid this you need to give your dig commands smartly and leave enough support for the roof to not cave in, stop digging, remove the now-exposed roof(or build a support pillar or two if it's not removable), then continue digging at the stuff you initially left.

Cool, thanks. I didn't think to remove the roof

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
When mining, anywhere that's designated as being under a "thick stone roof" (displayed as a darker green when in roof view) cannot have the roof removed, and has a chance to spawn infestations. The only way to prevent that is to fill it back in with some kind of wall, but it can be cheap wooden poo poo, just be careful that raiders don't burn them down because they're assholes.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

When I'm mining out a big chunk I'll draw the big box to mine, then grab the cancel tool and de-select one block every two or so apart to leave supports behind. This works pretty well, if one of those blocks you deselected ends up having something valuable in it to mine I'll go back and add a wooden support beam and knock out that block.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Keeshhound posted:

When mining, anywhere that's designated as being under a "thick stone roof" (displayed as a darker green when in roof view) cannot have the roof removed, and has a chance to spawn infestations. The only way to prevent that is to fill it back in with some kind of wall, but it can be cheap wooden poo poo, just be careful that raiders don't burn them down because they're assholes.

You can remove thick stone roof. Overhead Mountain is the one that you can't remove and is also the trigger check for bugs.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
You're thinking of thin stone roof being removable, but you're right that the unremovable bug spawning part is called overhead mountain now, my bad.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Thicc stone roof

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

If I'm not using any mods for armor and defensive positions, is it better to have a stockpile of armor near the killbox or just have everyone wear flak vests and helmets all the time and replace when necessary? I like the idea of an armor rack but with the changes to the time it takes to put on armor sometimes by the time everyone makes it to the rack and gets changed the enemy is already in the killbox. Or do you guys have dedicated soldiers that always wear armor? What's the best way for various colony sizes?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
for the majority of the game, if you don't have enough time to get people to the armory and gear up for a standard raid (that is to say, not a drop pod raid) then you're making access to your base too easy. build a couple of walls that funnel people around and force them to walk through a couple of switchbacks to access your main killbox/defensive perimeter/whatever. you can make a stone door as a colonist entrance if you want, raiders that are not sappers will regard closed doors as walls. wearing armor as a matter of course is a terrible idea because in addition to wearing down some of the most expensive apparel in the game, you permanently handicap your productivity by making your most time consuming task - walking - take longer.

later on in the game, when drop pods are a serious concern and you have enough automation and mechanical advantage to make the productivity no big deal and enough resources that replacing a few suits of armor a year isn't a problem, sure, clap armor on everyone and have your colonists walking around like fallout badasses. you will definitely also want people armored up if you are caravanning to the ship, because there will be no chance to change clothes during an ambush.

the big thing is really to just be aware of what armoring up costs you. if you can counteract those things or you've gotten far enough ahead of those things for them to not matter, then sure, definitely - your colonists' lives are your most important quantity in general because skills are loving hard to come by and develop. but getting to that point takes the better part of the game.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Someone will probably give a better answer but the trade off boils down to - armor all the time, slower moving pawns so less productive vs armor not all the time, maybe you get caught with your flak pants down.

Here's my question: After 1.0 do I have to re-subscribe or something to get mods updated, or re-enable them? I'm not seeing friendly fire mod anymore, figure it would have been updated already.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'm of the opinion that you should keep colonists in flak vests, simply because they protect vital organs in case of bullshit (manhunters, getting caught on the edge of a map by a raid, etc.) without slowing them down too much. If I'm remembering my math right, a default, heathy colonist has 4.6 move speed, and the vest reduces that by .12, or a little under 3%. And yes, that adds up, so it's ultimately down to how optimized you want to be vs. how safe you want to be.

Also, I'm pretty sure devilstrand pants and dusters completely obsolete flak pants and vests, as far as sharp resist goes.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sten Freak posted:

Here's my question: After 1.0 do I have to re-subscribe or something to get mods updated, or re-enable them? I'm not seeing friendly fire mod anymore, figure it would have been updated already.

That depends!

Some people have left their B19 mod up on Steam and created a new 1.0 version. In that case, you need to find it again.

Some people do straight updates of their mods on Steam, so you just keep chugging along.

Depends on the mod. Some keep previous versions alive for those who for some reason or another stick to earlier versions of the game. In the current time, some have done that since some people are playing B19 until all their favored mods come out or their colony is finished, but in a year or so that won't be an issue (probably).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

HelloSailorSign posted:

That depends!

Some people have left their B19 mod up on Steam and created a new 1.0 version. In that case, you need to find it again.

Some people do straight updates of their mods on Steam, so you just keep chugging along.

Depends on the mod. Some keep previous versions alive for those who for some reason or another stick to earlier versions of the game. In the current time, some have done that since some people are playing B19 until all their favored mods come out or their colony is finished, but in a year or so that won't be an issue (probably).
Thanks!

1.0 looks pretty good so far but the friendly fire mod is a necessity imo unless he baked it into core and it's not obvious.