Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I dig the Stargate and Maltese Falcon steelbooks :shrug:

The ones that aren't lovely are just the movie posters on a box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I like a lot of those steelbooks. Not the comic book ones though, those suck.

The Matrix looks loving amazing on UHD, by the way.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The Lawrence of Arabia and Get Out steelbooks loving rule. Lawrence is just the desert w a camel walking through it. Get Out makes it look like a Hitchcock poster.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Not a fan of steelbooks: this guy

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

This will probably sound contradictory to what I said earlier, but I mostly don't give a poo poo what the box the movie comes in looks like. You see it for three seconds before you put the movie in, so who cares? It's nice when they look cool but it doesn't really enhance anything. Most steelbooks I see on Best Buy or where ever are loving goofy though and in the case of movies that have multiple releases it makes it a pain in the rear end to figure out which disc you're buying. I just avoid them because there's no incentive and sometimes they cost more money anyway.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only have those comic book steel books because I bought them for 4 dollars on Black Friday. I’ll take a visual hit for cheap movies

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CPL593H posted:

This will probably sound contradictory to what I said earlier, but I mostly don't give a poo poo what the box the movie comes in looks like. You see it for three seconds before you put the movie in, so who cares? It's nice when they look cool but it doesn't really enhance anything. Most steelbooks I see on Best Buy or where ever are loving goofy though and in the case of movies that have multiple releases it makes it a pain in the rear end to figure out which disc you're buying. I just avoid them because there's no incentive and sometimes they cost more money anyway.

I spend an inordinate amount of time arranging and rearranging discs like a loving psychopath, which means I see each one for at least 53 seconds every day.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I only have those comic book steel books because I bought them for 4 dollars on Black Friday. I’ll take a visual hit for cheap movies

I might in a case like this if the movies are very cheap and I know they're the best possible editions of the movies. But I wouldn't choose them specifically, go out of my way to get them, and I definitely wouldn't pay a premium for it. I think between DVDs and blu-rays I own like two steel books or three if you count that big metal case the the 1999 Akira DVD came in.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I spend an inordinate amount of time arranging and rearranging discs like a loving psychopath, which means I see each one for at least 53 seconds every day.

Then just don't?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

CPL593H posted:

Then just don't?

But I must!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I hate having to store Blu-rays, I hate the look of the Blu-ray cases and most of their artwork, I hate having to put the physical disc in the player and deal with load times and forced trailers and menus. If I didn't also hate binders I'd just use one of those, because all I care about is picture quality and occasionally special features.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I don't remember the last blu I had with forced trailers. Maybe I just buy the right movies or something.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Also might be my lovely Blu-ray player I bought from a goon for $20 on a street corner.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Also might be my lovely Blu-ray player I bought from a goon for $20 on a street corner.

If it came from a goon then it must be quality.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

Steelbooks look worse than the regular cases. They always have a bunch of cheesy poo poo on them that looks like it was just cobbled together in ten minutes to shift more units. Or that do that lovely "minimalist" thing.

counterpoint:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Pretty loving gaudy.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I actually like the way the spine of a steelbook looks on the shelf compared to the regular plastic cases. But really it does come down to the fact that I'm always packing the cases too tightly together and then the plastic heats up and bubbles and warps and looks like poo poo, which isn't a problem for steelbooks. So if I had more discipline to not actually do that to my cases it wouldn't be an issue.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

feedmyleg posted:

Pretty loving gaudy.

well, yeah, it's Suspiria

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Clear cases > steel books > blue cases imo.

But also, it doesnt matter much.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The Suspiria art on the steelbook is one of the reasons I was hesitant to pay the $50 or whatever for it. Luckily there's a slipcase with the more normal artwork for it.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

Like I said, I’m one of those weirdos who cares about how my movies look on the shelf. I also lend my movies out to friends/family/coworkers all the time, and people react positively to the non-vanilla cases and it makes me feel good. It also incentivizes people to take care of my stuff and actually return it to me, because it looks/feels more expensive and they know it’s probably a pain in the rear end to replace it if they lose or damage it.

I just like “customizing” my collection beyond just vanilla cases, I dunno.
Besides steelbooks, I’m a big fan of digibooks and digipaks, although they’re a bit underrepresented in my collection. I have some for Blade Runner, Halloween (1978), The Right Stuff, Fight Club, The Usual Suspects, and a few others I’m forgetting.

feedmyleg posted:

I hate having to store Blu-rays, I hate the look of the Blu-ray cases and most of their artwork, I hate having to put the physical disc in the player and deal with load times and forced trailers and menus. If I didn't also hate binders I'd just use one of those, because all I care about is picture quality and occasionally special features.

Movies are one of the few mediums where I refuse to switch over to digital, and I blame it on working for Blockbuster Video for nearly a decade. I dunno, I just like being able to see my collection on a shelf.
I also only get ebooks if I either have no other option or the ebook is radically cheaper; holding a physical book is just more satisfying for me. Likewise with comics, I don’t have a tablet and I can’t stand reading digital comics on my computer screen.

I’m totally onboard with digital music and PC games, and I go back and forth on digital console games.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

My movie shelf is shamefully tucked into a closet, similar to the Criterion Closet. :allears:

It's my favorite part of the house!

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

CPL593H posted:

They're not just ugly, stupid, and unrelated to the themes or aesthetic of the films but they are straight up using cultural appropriation to sell some crap at Best Buy.
That's leftover stock from last year, when sugar skulls were super hot. Every retailer had sugar skull everything.

This year's VHS case style is awesome though. I'll grab a pic of a few when I get a chance.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
...is it "cultural appropriation" when the artist is Latino?

I feel like that word has lost all loving meaning by this point.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

They should re-do all blu-ray covers to make the main characters dressed up as Fortnite characters. Or insert them into funny memes.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Slim Pickens milly rocking on the atomic bomb for Dr. Strangelove

Unfriended but it's a deep fried meme

American History X but with pepes

I Before E fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Nov 1, 2018

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

King Vidiot posted:

Because someone incorrectly uses the term, it's suddenly lost all meaning?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Nihonniboku posted:

Because someone incorrectly uses the term, it's suddenly lost all meaning?
A lot of someones. Kind of like how "SJW" has been diluted to the point that it now refers to anyone who isn't a Nazi.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

I didn't know the artist was Latino and just assumed they were using Day of the Dead imagery to peddle some tacky crap because I see that poo poo constantly. Also white people with sugar skull tattoos.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

feedmyleg posted:

Rip your discs with MakeMKV and watch them with MPC-HC and MadVR. Better picture quality and none of that bullshit.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

My movie shelf is shamefully tucked into a closet, similar to the Criterion Closet. :allears:

It's my favorite part of the house!

Hi there Blu-ray closet shelf buddy! :wave:

I actually built the shelves into an existing closet expressly to store my movies:

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Those themed steelbooks where the artwork isn't relevant to the actual movie aren't really the norm. Mostly it's stuff that looks at least as good as a regular case, and then sometimes it's even better. I like almost all of the non-themed steelbooks in those photos.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

When the gently caress did the Rocketeer Steelbook come out?? Is it still available?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

These slip covers are awesome. My Wal Mart still hasn't stocked most of them though, but I was able to find Krull today. Some of them weren't slips they were just cards covering the fronts.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Boinks posted:

These slip covers are awesome. My Wal Mart still hasn't stocked most of them though, but I was able to find Krull today. Some of them weren't slips they were just cards covering the fronts.

I’ve bought a bunch of these, they’re great. I really dig that they’ve done a couple lesser-known films alongside the the usual $8 stuff.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I think the Happy Birthday to Me is actually a first for Blu-Ray. I think there are a few that were never on VHS as well, like John Wick. John Wick would have been an awesome Blockbuster rental.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Boinks posted:

Please don't show me poo poo like this, not now. I bought like 5 blu rays in the past few days, and one of them was a limited-edition steelbook with a NECA figure. :homebrew:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Boinks posted:

Wow I didn't even notice they were blurays until I saw the logo.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Delzuma posted:

When the gently caress did the Rocketeer Steelbook come out?? Is it still available?

I got mine on eBay several years ago; a cursory eBay search brings up a whole bunch for $30-$40.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Please don't show me poo poo like this, not now. I bought like 5 blu rays in the past few days, and one of them was a limited-edition steelbook with a NECA figure. :homebrew:

What was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

CPL593H posted:

What was it?

Secret Honor