Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-EX920-M...z4AAOSw8WdbfEy4

$179 for 1TB of NVME goodness

priznat posted:

I remember when the best way to speed up the boot was hit escape while it was testing the 8MB of RAM or whatever :haw:

The funny thing with NVME on my new Z370 mobo is while the Win10 loading is pretty much instant, the BIOS takes so long to train the DDR4 at boot that the overall power on to desktop time takes longer than my old H81 + SATA3 SSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Yeah UEFI takes super long to do its thing, what's exactly the holdup there?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
On a previous computer I had a Gigabyte P45 mainboard which used an ancient firmware for the Intel SATA controller so it would always look for connected devices for almost a minute before letting the computer boot. Luckily by the time I got my first SSD (a 80 GB Intel 320) they had added a BIOS update with a faster firmware that wouldn't make you wait as long :haw:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah UEFI takes super long to do its thing, what's exactly the holdup there?

Depends on the BIOS obvi, but look through the options and you might see a post delay “feature” for you to hit delete/f1/f2. Also enable fast boot obviously.

Even with those things, boards with lots of integrated stuff (especially RAID controllers with separate boot ROMs) might still be slowish to boot. Kinda sucks that the “premium” boards are slower in that respect.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
That's why I go through and disable all the random add-on bits I don't actually need or use. There's no reason that a modern BIOS needs to take more than 10 seconds to do its thing and hand off to the OS.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Kind of a stretch but does anyone here have a Purism Librem with a NVME drive and could tell me whether it boots faster than most other laptops due to the power of Open Source (R)? I've read their article about implementing NVME support in coreboot and it mentioned something about speeding up the BIOS but it's hard to tell whether they mean time to start the BIOS or time to finish everything related to BIOS (probably the former).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
NVMe and a system's BIOS are completely independent. The BIOS is baked into the motherboard and is gonna take how long it's gonna take regardless of what storage drives you have attached (unless you happen to have a drive that takes a noticeable amount of time to respond to the BIOS's queries, which isn't the case for any SSD).

NVMe does provide somewhat faster OS load times (the portion of the boot process that's after the BIOS hands off control to the OS) than a SATA SSD, but we're talking like 5 seconds instead of 6.

An open source / *nix based laptop will probably complete the entire boot process faster than a comparable Mac or Windows laptop, but that's mostly due to Mac and Windows users having 248 programs set to run at start, rather than anything particularly inherent to the Power of Open Source (R).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

There are definitely storage controllers that can take forever to detect drives attached, and sometimes take even longer to detect channels with nothing attached. At least that happened on some cards I used with classic BIOS, where the card had an extension BIOS.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Fry's has a 240GB SanDisk Plus for $48. Worthwhile? Helping a friend upgrade her DJing laptop, need something reliable: https://www.frys.com/product/9158128?nearbyStoreName=false&site=satlanding110318

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I wouldn't feel good putting such a small drive in someone's system, but the brand/model will be fine.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So I'm cloning a Win 7 Pro install onto the SSD I just got to replace a laptop HD, someone please remind me how I "tell" Win 7 it's on a SSD now ? IIRC you run the Windows Experience rating thing again and ??? something and that's it ?

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Win 7? Lol, update to win 10.

Run the Windows experience thing and make sure defragging is turned off.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yeah don't use 7. And you're always better off starting fresh instead of cloning old setups unless you have some ultra specific hard to duplicate circumstances

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Fry's has a 240GB SanDisk Plus for $48. Worthwhile? Helping a friend upgrade her DJing laptop, need something reliable: https://www.frys.com/product/9158128?nearbyStoreName=false&site=satlanding110318

The SanDisk Plus is their budget line with a variable BoM; it appears that below the ~500 GB mark they're DRAMless (so including that one, which therefore wouldn't be ideal as an OS drive.)

If you're only looking for a ~240 GB-class SSD and want something reliable, and were willing to spend ~$48, how about a Samsung 860 Evo for $50, literally the highest-end SATA 2.5" SSD? Keep in mind there have been a ton of SSD sales recently (with prices forecast to drop throughout next year) and good ~500 GB SSDs have been ~$70, including the 860 Evo.

The Crucial MX500 is also a top-tier SSD. The Adata SU800 is a small step down, but still has decent NAND and DRAM; here's the 512 GB model for $77. That same drive's about the same price on Rakuten, but notably they have frequent 15% discounts there.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, the Samsung would normally be my go-to. I hadn't checked its pricing lately, but it's moot as I took a look at the laptop and advised her to retire it.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only advice I can give at the moment is to not *overbuy* an SSD right now. Most tech reporters are saying that SSD pricing could crater to $0.08-0.10/GB in 2019. Doubtful the 2TB+ SSDs will have that pricing, though.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I'd absolutely wait for Black Friday weekend for SSDs at the very least.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dammit, I really wanted to go with a 960GB Corsair MP510 as my main drive in my new system, but Corsair seems to have a problem getting them out to anyone except reviewers, and I'm finding it really hard not to go with this instead: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BN217QG

It'd be $152.62 after my credit and VA tax.

EDIT: gently caress it - Corsair lost out on a sale - the 1 and 2TB versions of the 970 don't suffer from whatever Samsung cheaped out on in the 250 and 500GB variants.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 5, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

860 Evo 500 GB $80.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Dammit, I really wanted to go with a 960GB Corsair MP510 as my main drive in my new system, but Corsair seems to have a problem getting them out to anyone except reviewers, and I'm finding it really hard not to go with this instead: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BN217QG

It'd be $152.62 after my credit and VA tax.

EDIT: gently caress it - Corsair lost out on a sale - the 1 and 2TB versions of the 970 don't suffer from whatever Samsung cheaped out on in the 250 and 500GB variants.

If you're in the market for a 1TB NVMe drive, you should look at the XPG SX8200: they've repeatedly dropped to around ~$175, making them easily the cheapest option at that size, while also turning in performance that is right up there with the rest, especially in actual real-world performance.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Good tip on the XPG, ADATA is still on the avoid list in the OP of this thread. That'll shave $100 off my build. God drat those PCIE Intel Optanes are still so expensive, but I want them (yeah yeah real world applications this and that, I still want it)

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

codo27 posted:

Good tip on the XPG, ADATA is still on the avoid list in the OP of this thread.

Yeah, their earlier SSDs were hot trash, but their current crop are just as fine as anyone else's. Samsung still has a notable advantage in synthetic benchmarks, but it's more of a wash in actual real-world use, making the price-premium for Samsung pretty hard to justify.

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

DrDork posted:

Yeah, their earlier SSDs were hot trash, but their current crop are just as fine as anyone else's. Samsung still has a notable advantage in synthetic benchmarks, but it's more of a wash in actual real-world use, making the price-premium for Samsung pretty hard to justify.

I like Samsung for their data migration tools. That alone made it worth getting their nvme over another, because to install the os you just click through a few menus and you're done.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
You can also get something like Paragon Disk Manager or Macrium Reflect that will happily do the migration for you, as well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

For all their faults, Samsung has the best support network for their products.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

DrDork posted:

If you're in the market for a 1TB NVMe drive, you should look at the XPG SX8200: they've repeatedly dropped to around ~$175, making them easily the cheapest option at that size, while also turning in performance that is right up there with the rest, especially in actual real-world performance.

Going on right now
https://www.rakuten.com/shop/adata/product/ASX8200NP-960GT-C/

Promo code for the price is 'AD26'

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
What are options for 2tb nvme? Just the 970 evo?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Seamonster posted:

I was going to add the 660p, which has its own issues but is the cheapest option, but you do have a few more choices. Does it really have to be NVMe though? Not that that adds many more options, but for a similar price I'd rather have the SATA WD Blue or 860 Evo with 3D TLC over the QLC 660p, especially because the latter's performance decreases as it fills to capacity.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Seamonster posted:

The Corsair MP510 and "MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro" are options as well - they're the same drive, covered by a five year warranty, and make use of the new Phison E12 controller. None of the high-capacity MP510s are in stock anywhere, though. :smith:

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrDork posted:

You can also get something like Paragon Disk Manager or Macrium Reflect that will happily do the migration for you, as well.

For *reason* neither worked for me. Tried several times nada. Remembered I have a Samsung, click click, done. I don't know what the problem was and I would have trouble shot it eventually(Each run takes a while) but Samsung was just that easy.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
The BPX Pro 2TB is up on Amazon for $520

https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-80mm-2280-S3-M-Express-960GB/dp/B07F992T5F?th=1&psc=1

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

oohhboy posted:

For *reason* neither worked for me. Tried several times nada. Remembered I have a Samsung, click click, done. I don't know what the problem was and I would have trouble shot it eventually(Each run takes a while) but Samsung was just that easy.

I don't know if this was your specific issue, but some of the drive migration tools do not deal well with shrinking drives. I had endless issues trying to move from a 1000GB Samsung 840 Evo to a 960GB SX8200--all the data would move, but for whatever reason it would refuse to boot from the new drive, regardless of what I did. Ended up just throwing in the towel and doing a fresh install of Win10.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DrDork posted:

I don't know if this was your specific issue, but some of the drive migration tools do not deal well with shrinking drives. I had endless issues trying to move from a 1000GB Samsung 840 Evo to a 960GB SX8200--all the data would move, but for whatever reason it would refuse to boot from the new drive, regardless of what I did. Ended up just throwing in the towel and doing a fresh install of Win10.

This is mostly what happened except win 7 and HDD->SSD. My next migration after I didn't mess around going straight to Samsung even though I was going from small to large.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

fuuuuuuuck opal/tcg

Vulnerability and poo poo

Fuuuuuuuck fuuuuuuuck gently caress

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Potato Salad posted:

fuuuuuuuck opal/tcg

Vulnerability and poo poo

Fuuuuuuuck fuuuuuuuck gently caress

The MX100 and MX200 are comically bad. Holy poo poo.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Seamonster posted:

I'd strongly consider the Intel 660p if you are doing just desktop and games stuff. At that size it's got a proper discount vs the competition (currently $350 at newegg), and on the 2tb model the SLC area of the drive is huge.

But mostly I just wouldn't buy a 2tb nvme drive right now. Those are still a halo product and the crazy price-war discounts aren't hitting them like smaller drives. $500 for 2tb is a bad deal when 1TB satas are being sold for under $150 and even 1tb nvme can go on sale for $200.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

That's my sentiment. You don't need a 2 TB NVMe drive for the OS, and you can probably make do with cheap SATA storage unless you're doing some out-of-the-ordinary workload that actually needs high speeds AND capacity.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
Amazon's lowered the price on the 970 EVO, and it's getting pretty close to prices we more usually see the SX8200 and EX920 at. I've been thinking about grabbing one of the latter two in the near future, but at that price I wonder what people think about the 970 EVO compared to them. From the reviews I've read, the EX920 especially and the SX8200 to a lesser extent seem to outperform the 970 EVO in random reads and writes at low queue depth, which I understand to be the most important metric for most people.

One of the things I'm personally looking to speed up over my 850 EVO is a database-backed application which seems to get I/O bottlenecked when it's very busy (particularly with writes), and I assume that random IOPS would be most important for that, though this is not an area of expertise for me.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

guess whose clients almost exclusively use those drives

fffffffff_fffffffffff_fffffffffff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Kairos posted:

One of the things I'm personally looking to speed up over my 850 EVO is a database-backed application which seems to get I/O bottlenecked when it's very busy (particularly with writes), and I assume that random IOPS would be most important for that, though this is not an area of expertise for me.

Look into the MyDigitalSSD BPX Pro - that drive uses the Phison E12 controller, and at the 960GB SKU, has some pretty eye-watering IOPS scores.

Here's AT's review of the Corsair MP510, which is the same drive: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13438/the-corsair-force-mp510-ssd-review

Unfortunately, as I've lamented a few times - it seems Corsair's in no hurry to get their 960GB out to retail, so the BPX Pro is currently the only Phison E12 drive you can buy.