Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

esperterra posted:

Avoiding bounties seems to be mostly reliant on making sure you get the gently caress out of the red circle during the investigation phase. In town tho I think it's more likely to get an immediate bounty b/c lawmen are all over the place.

Yup, I’ve done a whole bunch of crimes with witnesses and not gotten a single bounty because I tend to peace out ASAP after committing a crime, even without a bandana or a disguise. I even managed to beat an O’Driscoll Boy to death for giving me guff right on the outskirts of town in broad daylight; I didn’t even bother to chase down the witness I just hopped on my horse and got back to camp. No bounty and I went back into town the next day without a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rap music
Mar 11, 2006

dunno if this has been mentioned but if you aim a weapon at animals it will also show you their rating, making the binocs pretty pointless

i didn't test it too much but iirc it only seemed to work with certain weapons like the bow and varmint rifle

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who cares about bountys, just shoot the fuckers who are trying to kill you.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

DarthBlingBling posted:

He wants the hat back

I beat his rear end once for the hat and I will defend the hat

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Hobo Clown posted:

Any tips on robbing the Valentine doctor's side business then? I changed into a brand new outfit out of sight, put on a full face mask (no one in town saw my face and my new clothes), and as soon as I started I had a wanted level and an increased bounty. The increased automatic bounty is also far and away higher than what you get from doing it, so I have no idea why that mission even exists.

I don't know, when I did that one it was a complete poo poo show from start to finish. I've done a few others and was just labeled "Wanted: Subject Unknown" though when I evade then change back.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Hot Diggity! posted:

I beat his rear end once for the hat and I will defend the hat

Every time I try to interact with that rear end in a top hat my Greet/Antagonize options are greyed out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

rap music posted:

dunno if this has been mentioned but if you aim a weapon at animals it will also show you their rating, making the binocs pretty pointless

i didn't test it too much but iirc it only seemed to work with certain weapons like the bow and varmint rifle

Only if you have already studied them before, which binocs are useful for with new animals or w/e.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

DoctorGonzo posted:

who cares about bountys, just shoot the fuckers who are trying to kill you.

Well yeah, that’s one way to deal with them, but a lot of people in this thread were complaining about how annoying bounties were; we were just pointing out how they’re actually pretty easy to avoid in the first place

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Do different horse types react to combat in different ways? I feel like my old war horse stuck around in gunfights a lot more than my race horse does but it could just be my imagination.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I think too many people focus on getting rid of the witnesses and end up staying at the scene of the crime for too long. Easier to just loot your poo poo quick and peace the hell out.

e: granted if you're known to lawmen/a witness recognizes you then you may get a bounty easier? I'm not sure b/c I haven't actually had a bounty stick to me yet so I don't think I'm known to law enforcement

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hobo Clown posted:

Every time I try to interact with that rear end in a top hat my Greet/Antagonize options are greyed out.

just stand next to him for a while and he'll do the antagonizing for you

edit: make sure your health and stamina are topped up because he puts up a hell of a fight

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

PancakeTransmission posted:

Just FYI for anyone spending hours trekking out to get the rare white horse - if you don't care about colour, it's the exact same as other Arabians that you can buy from a stable. If you can't afford one, get to chapter 3 or 4 (and stop wasting your time selling rabbit pelts and belt buckles for $1) and you'll have plenty enough.

I got all the way out there to find out it's the same as the horse I was already riding :sigh: and there was "too much activity" so I couldn't even hunt whatever legendary was around.

According to that horse database somebody posted the Arabians you can buy will wind up with better health and stamina than the one you just find.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Sheen Sheen posted:

Yup, I’ve done a whole bunch of crimes with witnesses and not gotten a single bounty because I tend to peace out ASAP after committing a crime, even without a bandana or a disguise. I even managed to beat an O’Driscoll Boy to death for giving me guff right on the outskirts of town in broad daylight; I didn’t even bother to chase down the witness I just hopped on my horse and got back to camp. No bounty and I went back into town the next day without a problem.

This makes me wonder if IDing you is instant with cops but random strangers can be put off by clothes swapping or whatever. I am remembering once robbing a train and being anonymous until the fuzz showed up and popped me as Arthur.

esperterra posted:

Only if you have already studied them before, which binocs are useful for with new animals or w/e.

Also having binocs sharply decreases your chance of accidentally locking on to a human with your rifle and kicking off a party you don't want

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The idea that police recognize your clothes or whatever is not true and is just a rumour posted online. The mask thing is simple. People can’t see through your mask, lawmen can. Doing masked stuff in town is pretty pointless for this reason, since there’s a sheriff and maybe others who can see through it. It’s more for rooting and tooting in the country side.

Starks fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 31, 2018

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress does camping warp me across the map? Twice now, I've woken up in a place other than where I originally set my camp.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Starks posted:

The idea that police recognize your clothes or whatever is not true and is just a rumour posted online.

I mean, it's in the actual manual:

Now, it's possible that's untrue, but it's not "just a rumour".

I'm pretty sure you're right about the lawmen though; from what I can tell they have the Power to see through any disguise and instantly ID you.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

"Change your facial hair" you can shave my glorious mutton chops off my corpse

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I stocked up on hair tonics via the app last night and I can't wait to go full on Jeremiah Johnson. Oh god, just wait until RDR Online has emotes.

Pretend that my post contained the "Robert Redford approving nod" gif because I guess I'm just going to fail at embedding gifs today.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Oct 31, 2018

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Hobo Clown posted:

I wonder if bounties will work the same online as they did in RDR1. Get a bounty, everyone else in that server gets a notification and you appear on their map, and then whoever kills you gets paid. Seems like there's a lot of room for abuse with that system though so I'm curious if they'll change it.

I'm interested in this too because anything where a player can benefit off collecting a bounty off another player seems very exploitable.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

People who have issues with the save system and who are also playing on PS4, you can just do what I do: Pause the game. Then go do something else. After your PS4 goes into power saving mode you can come back whenever and resume where you were. The PS4 has got a pretty great sleep mode but I'm unsure about its hibernation mode. Anyway, I think it does this for like, most everything.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.
I wish I was the only person in my house that wanted to use the Ps4

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I haven't had any issues with my PS4's suspend and resume in the two years or so I've had it so the saving stuff isn't a big issue for me. Though it can be annnoying not being able to manual save if you get thrust into a mission without meaning to by walking too close to someone with a yellow icon.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh ya, and make sure you're the only person who uses the PS4.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

God I wish I could use the companion app on an emulated android ffs. It isn't compatible with either my tablet or phone and ngl I'd kind of love to just turn my monitor into a map since it's right beside my goddamn TV.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Junkenstein posted:

Yeah, all scripted. The random events they put into GTA V and this are great, but you'll only see them once. The move away from repeatable randomised tasks like bounty hunting kinda sucks.

Maybe they'll be in Online (urgh).

Well that fuckin sucks.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

esperterra posted:

God I wish I could use the companion app on an emulated android ffs. It isn't compatible with either my tablet or phone and ngl I'd kind of love to just turn my monitor into a map since it's right beside my goddamn TV.

Apparently Rockstar have said they are working on compatibility with Android tablets and phones but the only source I can find that confirms it is this Polygon article from just under a week ago and nothing has changed since then as far as I can tell.

quote:

A Rockstar representative told Polygon that the company plans to support most modern Android devices with RDR2: Companion, including tablets, and is regularly rolling out updates with additional compatibility.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
You know how the game tells you the time and date when you enter a town? Apparently it only does that if you have a pocket watch on you :stare:

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004

shut up blegum posted:

You know how the game tells you the time and date when you enter a town? Apparently it only does that if you have a pocket watch on you :stare:

I didn't know about the watch requirement but you can get that screen anytime by tapping down on the D-Pad.

I wonder if the looted watches count or if it's just the one you can buy at the general store.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I have completed every upgrade in the camp, including the weird useless ones like buying a boat, and I'm still salty about my cashflow. I need approximately the GDP of the small nation in my pocket so that every time a O'Driscoll comes by I can pay them 20 bucks to gently caress off

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Friendly Fire posted:

I didn't know about the watch requirement but you can get that screen anytime by tapping down on the D-Pad.

I wonder if the looted watches count or if it's just the one you can buy at the general store.

Yeah, I've been using a stolen platinum watch.

Zutaten
May 8, 2007

What the shit.

shut up blegum posted:

You can also pull out your watch and look at it in your big meaty hand from the same item slot as the binoculars, for the full immersive "waiting for a train" experience.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Friendly Fire posted:

Looted watches count. I've never bought a watch and I get the time because I always keep at least one watch.

In fact, there is a section just for watches in one of the inventory sections. I think it's the one that contains all the collectable stuff. I want to say like 2nd or 3rd tab from the end (right side).

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I wish you could toggle the scope on the Rollingblock rifle like you can with every other weapon you put a scope on.

This game feels like it was designed by 5000 people over the course of 8 years and when they quit, the burned all their design documents and the designer after had to guesswork their choices. All the small little things are so utterly inconsistent.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 31, 2018

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

Hobo Clown posted:

Think you have to wait until he's finished spouting his bullshit

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

DarthBlingBling posted:

Think you have to wait until he's finished spouting his bullshit

I did and he fell asleep :(

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jimbot posted:

I wish you could toggle the scope on the Rollingblock rifle like you can with every other weapon you put a scope on.

This game feels like it was designed by 5000 people over the course of 8 years and when they quit, the burned all their design documents and the designer after had to guesswork their choices. All the small little things are so utterly inconsistent.

I think that pretty accurately describes the first RDR and LA Noire also.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters
Well im sure this has been said but god bless crunch time, this turned out pretty good.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Hobo Clown posted:

Literally just stand next to him holding L2 and staring at him like you have deep social anxiety and eventually hell start swinging.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

The_White_Crane posted:

I mean, it's in the actual manual:

Now, it's possible that's untrue, but it's not "just a rumour".

I'm pretty sure you're right about the lawmen though; from what I can tell they have the Power to see through any disguise and instantly ID you.

Its says "...or Mask". So maybe the mask counter acts all that bullshit about changing clothes and haircuts. Which makes sense since masks are separate category from your bandana.

Speaking of which, i tried using the train robbery trick of stopping it on a long bridge to prevent the law from getting on the train and it was NOT successful. I got swarmed REAL quick.

super macho dude fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm not fully taken with this game yet. Finished the intro section, then rode around in the 1899 sandbox for a while, killing people and stealing wagons. It seems a lot like GTA, I guess.

What are some fun things to do?

And how do I fast travel?