Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
It should be noted even though you beat him up he is not dead and he will respawn and thus in Valentine you can get random events of him running up and starting to punch you. May be related to wearing the hat around town like a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a way of turning off putting your weapons away automatically while on horseback? If I equip weapons, I want them to stay equipped. So when I get waylaid by a say, cougar, I can shoot it in the face with the rifle I had equipped for a clean kill instead of fanning my handgun, ruining it utterly.

It's probably one of the stupidest aspects of this game.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

The_White_Crane posted:

I mean, it's in the actual manual:

Now, it's possible that's untrue, but it's not "just a rumour".

I'm pretty sure you're right about the lawmen though; from what I can tell they have the Power to see through any disguise and instantly ID you.

My impression of their games is they develop a bunch of systems and then qa goes through and they say gently caress it cut it, its too much trouble, and then its such a big team the changes gets kinda lost in all of it. I mean gtav still warns you to bank your cash so it isnt atolen by other players but that never made it in. You can bank your cash but it doesnt do anything and isnt necessary. So the bank code is just a weird usless artifact they never removed. I feel like that may be going on here a bit. They designed it and wrote the manual, then they altered it to make it more simple to hit release and thats probably how it will stay.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013

Tim Whatley posted:

The enormous fat man invites you in for dinner and after being all over his wife asks you to go upstairs and check on his wife. Then the three of you sit down for dinner where it's revealed they're loving each other but they're brother and sister. Then you black out after drinking weird liquor and wind up in a ditch with other bodies on a hill near the farm with all of your cash gone. You can go back in the house and waste them and explore the house to get all your money back. It's also implied they murdered their parents and there's a skull in a dresser.

Re: Abernathy Pig Farm. Thanks for filling me in! I figured as much from the context clues you mention but didn't get to see everything play out.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where and when i can find the civil war hat?

tjones
May 13, 2005

DogonCrook posted:

My impression of their games is they develop a bunch of systems and then qa goes through and they say gently caress it cut it, its too much trouble, and then its such a big team the changes gets kinda lost in all of it. I mean gtav still warns you to bank your cash so it isnt atolen by other players but that never made it in. You can bank your cash but it doesnt do anything and isnt necessary. So the bank code is just a weird usless artifact they never removed. I feel like that may be going on here a bit. They designed it and wrote the manual, then they altered it to make it more simple to hit release and thats probably how it will stay.

I haven't played GTA5 online in years, but you used to be able to call in muggers on anyone in a lobby and if successful they would steal any on hand cash that wasn't banked. It was routine for my group to call in muggers on each other after finishing missions/heists as a comedy option for anyone that wasn't paying close enough attention to the tooltip that notifies the lobby a mugger was called.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

PirateBob posted:

I'm not fully taken with this game yet. Finished the intro section, then rode around in the 1899 sandbox for a while, killing people and stealing wagons. It seems a lot like GTA, I guess.

What are some fun things to do?

And how do I fast travel?

I'm really enjoying the fishing and hunting. I am a complete sucker for fishing minigames and this has a good one. Not FF15 good but still great.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

A Sometimes Food posted:

I'm really enjoying the fishing and hunting. I am a complete sucker for fishing minigames and this has a good one. Not FF15 good but still great.

Yeah I liked the fishing although it's a little simple. But the casting and reeling stuff in really does feel right.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Hobo Clown posted:

Every time I try to interact with that rear end in a top hat my Greet/Antagonize options are greyed out.
You have to wait for his initial rant to finish :downs:

Then he will patiently wait until you are done with the barber to attack you.

Nechronic posted:

Do different horse types react to combat in different ways? I feel like my old war horse stuck around in gunfights a lot more than my race horse does but it could just be my imagination.

Probably! But even at bond 3 (and well fed), my non DLC War horse (the one the tutorial bounty target had) was still a huge baby about howling coyotes complete with "predators scare your horse! mash Left stick to pet!" prompt, and frightened by rattle snakes it had already accidentally crushed to death.

Maybe Bond rank 4 will actually matter? But if "War horses don't spook as easily!" is actually a thing, this does not bode well for other breeds.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 31, 2018

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Huh. I ordered some hair tonics via the app, but I can't seem to find where to actually use them in game. They don't appear in the lb radial menu under any of the tonic options, nor in provisions. I've used hair tonic once in the past but I've forgotten what I did. I certainly don't remember it being difficult to find.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Jimbot posted:

I wish you could toggle the scope on the Rollingblock rifle like you can with every other weapon you put a scope on.

This game feels like it was designed by 5000 people over the course of 8 years and when they quit, the burned all their design documents and the designer after had to guesswork their choices. All the small little things are so utterly inconsistent.

TBF it is a designated sniper rifle and designed as such, if they made it so that you could do it unscoped then it would just fade into the general "rifle" category alongside the Springfield

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Lid posted:

It should be noted even though you beat him up he is not dead and he will respawn and thus in Valentine you can get random events of him running up and starting to punch you. May be related to wearing the hat around town like a dick.

Who is this guy and where is he? It sounds like someone who had a neat hat but you have to beat him up to get it and I'm down for that action.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

DrNutt posted:

Huh. I ordered some hair tonics via the app, but I can't seem to find where to actually use them in game. They don't appear in the lb radial menu under any of the tonic options, nor in provisions. I've used hair tonic once in the past but I've forgotten what I did. I certainly don't remember it being difficult to find.

did you pick them up from the post office? i think that's where anything you order via app gets delivered

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

TMMadman posted:

Yeah I liked the fishing although it's a little simple. But the casting and reeling stuff in really does feel right.

I wish it were this easy to catch fish in real life.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
I love the effort that was obviously put into making this game feel like a world, but I've only played 4 times in 30 minutes increments so far and every time I've stopped playing because I was too annoyed to keep going. It's impressive how intricate, if not realistic, the various systems are, but after dealing with them for the first few times, they become really irritating. I'm likely going to play this game for a hundred hours; I'm very probably going to tire of having to take baths, change clothes, eat and drink, care for my horse and ride everywhere because the fast travel is almost useless in a lot of situations.

I'm having flashbacks of the fat/muscle meters in GTA:SA.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
2 questions:

Why cant I donate to the guy asking for charity in Valentine? I argue with him and that's it

2. I found some people building a house outside valentine. It was cool, but the guy says he needs help. How do I help?

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I am heartened to hear that the poor Mexican man upon whose head I rained down a grisly hail of lead will rise from his grave and again dishonor me with his contest

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

tjones posted:

I haven't played GTA5 online in years, but you used to be able to call in muggers on anyone in a lobby and if successful they would steal any on hand cash that wasn't banked. It was routine for my group to call in muggers on each other after finishing missions/heists as a comedy option for anyone that wasn't paying close enough attention to the tooltip that notifies the lobby a mugger was called.

Yeah i forget about that but i think there is a limit how much you will drop. At any rate the tooltip still says to bank cash so you dont lose it when you die which doesnt happen. I guess it was planned and then cut.

Another good example is the stock market which just doesnt work because they never turned it on but they never removed all that crap from the game or manuals.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Fishing is cool in that doing the “pull the rod up, then reel down” thing that real fishermen do is in the game.

Fishing is not cool in that the “it takes 15 minutes to reel in a fish” thing that real fishermen do is in the game.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CordlessPen posted:

I'm very probably going to tire of having to take baths, change clothes, eat and drink

You really don't have to do any of this tbh. Eat food when your health is low. There's no thirst. I haven't changed clothes since first buying some at the first town. There's no real point to taking a bath beyond "is a thing you can do" since you can just cover your scent with an item when hunting and it's not like you're gonna get a bounty for being stinky (and honestly just jump in the river). Stop worrying about keeping everything perfect and just have some outlaw fun?

I totally forgot about eating until chapter 3 and then noticed my dude was underweight but it's not like it really had any noticeable detrimental effect on me for the first two chapters.

Nechronic posted:

Do different horse types react to combat in different ways? I feel like my old war horse stuck around in gunfights a lot more than my race horse does but it could just be my imagination.

Section Z posted:

Probably! But even at bond 3 (and well fed), my non DLC War horse (the one the tutorial bounty target had) was still a huge baby about howling coyotes complete with "predators scare your horse! mash Left stick to pet!" prompt, and frightened by rattle snakes it had already accidentally crushed to death.

Maybe Bond rank 4 will actually matter? But if "War horses don't spook as easily!" is actually a thing, this does not bode well for other breeds.

I thought you could tell them to flee or stay? Idk my American Standardbred does just fine even when gunfire is flying. She winneys a bit if coyotes/wolves are attacking but I push the left stick once after killing them and she's fine.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 31, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

CordlessPen posted:

I love the effort that was obviously put into making this game feel like a world, but I've only played 4 times in 30 minutes increments so far and every time I've stopped playing because I was too annoyed to keep going. It's impressive how intricate, if not realistic, the various systems are, but after dealing with them for the first few times, they become really irritating. I'm likely going to play this game for a hundred hours; I'm very probably going to tire of having to take baths, change clothes, eat and drink, care for my horse and ride everywhere because the fast travel is almost useless in a lot of situations.

When it comes to horses at least, Buying stat boosting stirrups (Under $40) > buying a good horse. Makes fresh replacement horses good immediately, makes high quality bond boosted horses even better later.

There is some understandable confusion over whether or not "+50% core drain'" is a positive or negative (The only change on my player stats horse page before and after was "+2 stats!" instead of "+1 stat" :v: ) . There are like three +2 stat stirrups and the most expensive one has the highest "+core drain", for whatever that is worth.

The game doesn't seem to indicate before you buy seemingly overpriced oat cakes, but they are sold to you 3-4 at a time (same with crackers to shove in your own face). So Mostly remembering to give my horse some apples or whatever when I leave camp or stop to sleep has helped keep them out of the malnourished zone. The stable hand incidental dialogue also implies that if you swap out your horses, they will take proper care of your horse.

I wonder if anyone is going to experiment with making their horses overweight, and seeing if the stables do indeed double as a horse gym membership.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 31, 2018

tjones
May 13, 2005
Fish with dynamite.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

TMMadman posted:

Who is this guy and where is he? It sounds like someone who had a neat hat but you have to beat him up to get it and I'm down for that action.

In Valentine at night in the saloon, loud racist aaahat wearing a coonskin cap. Be is big and lives to scrap. He does not like being stared at relentlessly.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

tjones posted:

Fish with dynamite.
This works? Goty if so

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

wyoak posted:

This works? Goty if so

It does

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CordlessPen posted:

As to this all you had to do was max the muscle meter at the gym in the start of the game then never eat fast food. :shrug: Don't need to make things harder on yourself lol

The story mission in San Fierro that you need swimming level 3 (or whatever) for was way worse because odds are your swimming wasn't ever leveled since there's no real point to it and you gotta swim around in the bay and grind it up before you can continue.

wyoak posted:

This works? Goty if so

Definitely does, although not sure if it works on the legendary fish. Biggest fish I caught was with dynamite, had to strap it to the back of my horse like a buck.

Pretty sure you can just shoot them too, if they come close to the surface.

Lid posted:

In Valentine at night in the saloon, loud racist aaahat wearing a coonskin cap. Be is big and lives to scrap. He does not like being stared at relentlessly.

Was playing poker while that dude was in the saloon, my god he talks poo poo nonstop lmao

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 31, 2018

GyverMac
Aug 3, 2006
My posting is like I Love Lucy without the funny bits. Basically, WAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAAAAAAHHH
HHHHHHHHHHHHHH

JBP posted:

Not being allowed to defend yourself is the worst part of the game. At least it's cheap to pay if you go straight to the post office.

What is it with rockstar and having such a hard on for arresting player agency when it comes to interactions like these? Its been like this since GTA 4.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

GyverMac posted:

What is it with rockstar and having such a hard on for arresting player agency when it comes to interactions like these? Its been like this since GTA 4.
A more cynical man would suggest "I bet it's so they can sell bounty clears for online :smug:"

But that's something I'd never expect any Dev to try unless they were dumber than even :pgi:

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

LOL if you aren't fishing by trampling them under your horse

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also I'm confused as to why people even care that they have a bounty lol

I'll kill people who look at me funny and if the law comes before I'm done I'll shoot them too. All you gotta do is not stir up so much trouble at your current camp site area that you're locked out of the stores at the current town (if you care) but even that takes quite a bit of murdering.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Probably mentioned already but this bug with John/Abigail/Jack/Sadie disappearing from game hit me and gently caress its annoying. No banter, requests, etc, they are just gone from Chapter 2 entirely outside of story missions. According to Reddit the fix for now is to restart and do things in a specific order but gently caress that's a lot of lost time if I do it.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

The vaudeville act in St. Denis is pretty novel. 's neat they put in the time and effort for it.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Moridin920 posted:

Pretty sure you can just shoot them too, if they come close to the surface.

Was playing poker while that dude was in the saloon, my god he talks poo poo nonstop lmao

You can absolutely shoot a fish.

I don't know about legendaries, but certainly regular fish.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Moridin920 posted:

Also I'm confused as to why people even care that they have a bounty lol

I'll kill people who look at me funny and if the law comes before I'm done I'll shoot them too. All you gotta do is not stir up so much trouble at your current camp site area that you're locked out of the stores at the current town (if you care) but even that takes quite a bit of murdering.

i dont want bounty hunters using their gps to find and crawl up my rear end while i'm trying to hunt squirrels

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

TMMadman posted:

You can absolutely shoot a fish.

I don't know about legendaries, but certainly regular fish.

Is fishing gated behind a story mission or something? The last time I looked in a catalog the lures were locked out.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

lets hang out posted:

i dont want bounty hunters using their gps to find and crawl up my rear end while i'm trying to hunt squirrels

Yeah bounty hunters are fun if you're just wandering around doing random poo poo but if you're trying to hunt for specific animals then it's a huge pain in the rear end

You also have to make sure you have horse reviver handy in case you have a horse like mine that either doesn't give a gently caress or has secretly been trained by the Secret Service because that fucker will jump in front of bullets for me

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Is fishing gated behind a story mission or something? The last time I looked in a catalog the lures were locked out.

Yeah it's like mid-way through Chapter 2. Do a couple Marston missions and then talk to Abigail.

tjones
May 13, 2005

MeatwadIsGod posted:

It is. Someone mentioned you can mug a fisherman and steal their rod. I can't confirm if that is a thing, however.

Dynamite is available after the prologue, if you are so inclined. No idea if you can bag a legendary fish with it, but most likely not considering the hints note fishing at certain times of day/weather with a specific bait.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've resorted to taking screenshots of the strategy guide on my phone so I can look at it on my computer.

Each chapter has a very nice overview of how the chapter flows, and which missions unlock which activities and when they become available.

Chapter 2

Chapter 3

If people are interested I can post the later chapters as well.

In addition, the bank job in valentine is for the special edition, so if you don't have it and get a conversation about missing it, don't feel bad there is nothing you could have done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

lets hang out posted:

*shrug* I guess I've just been lucky then. They show up on your minimap way before they actually spot you but even aside from that I just hunted in the Grizzlies last night for at least an hour or so while trying to find the White Bison and no one ever showed up... Maybe it isn't the same 'zone' as Valentine though (where I have like a $300-$400 bounty and plan on never paying it).

My biggest issue with bounty hunters is just when I'm not paying attention and gallop right into a group of them on my way somewhere.