Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Is there any date for when they're gonna take another swing at 1806?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's 1809 and last word was early November but who knows when a new big defect is reported seemingly every god drat week.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

For some positive news, 1803 seems pretty stable now. It's a good time to upgrade to it. :)

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Im on 1809 and having some weird issues connecting to SMB shares. I have no idea why or what.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Because Windows 10 is now in perpetual beta

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

redeyes posted:

Im on 1809 and having some weird issues connecting to SMB shares. I have no idea why or what.

SMB1 is disabled, there is a reg entry to change to re-enable it.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

SMB1 is disabled, there is a reg entry to change to re-enable it.

These are linux SMB servers with ZFS and I definitely enabled SMB 3. Maybe that is it though.. somehow. I'll look into it. Thanks.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Also: don't do it unless it's only to migrate to storage that supports something better. In that case, turn it back off when you're done and throw the old unit in the trash.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

This finally got us to move our iseries to smb2.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

redeyes posted:

These are linux SMB servers with ZFS and I definitely enabled SMB 3. Maybe that is it though.. somehow. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Don't enable SMB1. I've got ZFS shares running no problem. Something else is screwy here.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cryptolocker's children may be cute, but you don't want to meet them with SMB1 enabled on your network.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Atomizer posted:

That's a good NVMe SSD. It really does sound like the issue is Windows background activity, especially when you can't identify any obvious 3rd-party applications using excessive resources in Task Manager. Definitely let the system do what it needs to do by leaving it on for awhile when you're not using it.

Following up on this. Knock on wood it hasn't happened in a few days. I guess it really was just the install settling in. I didn't figure it for indexing because A) I didn't copy any personal files over so most of my user folder is empty B) I've never seen it hammer the system like this on my older burner laptops C) I did leave it awake and plugged in the first night after reinstall for it to do things like that.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/windows-10-october-2018-update-still-not-released-running-out-of-october/

People said I was crazy for formatting and reinstalling 1803. We're going into November and 1809 is still not re-released.

Friendly reminder that it doesn't hurt to adjust your personal PC's Windows Update Group Policy to "Semi-Annual Channel" so that it waits 3-4 months before installing the latest feature update.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

PUBLIC TOILET posted:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/10/windows-10-october-2018-update-still-not-released-running-out-of-october/

People said I was crazy for formatting and reinstalling 1803. We're going into November and 1809 is still not re-released.

Friendly reminder that it doesn't hurt to adjust your personal PC's Windows Update Group Policy to "Semi-Annual Channel" so that it waits 3-4 months before installing the latest feature update.

You absolutely were crazy, 1809 runs perfectly fine and possible data deletion bugs during installation wouldn't be a concern with a fresh install.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

I'm still annoyed that "check for updates" actually means "make me an alpha tester for buggy updates without informing me" instead of "apply pending updates now because I'm going to power down or restart anyway" like I'd always assumed. Then again, it hasn't been a huge issue until recently.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Atomizer posted:

I'm still annoyed that "check for updates" actually means "make me an alpha tester for buggy updates without informing me" instead of "apply pending updates now because I'm going to power down or restart anyway" like I'd always assumed. Then again, it hasn't been a huge issue until recently.

It doesn't do the first thing, and why on earth would the second thing be named "check for updates"?

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

fishmech posted:

It doesn't do the first thing
The description is 90% correct. Replace "alpha" with "beta" if you want to be pedantic. The manual check gives you updates that the automatic check doesn't, updates that not done being beta tested.

quote:

why on earth would the second thing be named "check for updates"?
Because "install updates automatically" is turned on, so you expect it to check and then trigger everything else to flush the update pipeline. And that is what the button does, on top of secretly opting you in to a different set of updates.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dylan16807 posted:

The description is 90% correct. Replace "alpha" with "beta" if you want to be pedantic. The manual check gives you updates that the automatic check doesn't, updates that not done being beta tested.

No, it doesn't. Unless you've already changed other settings.

Dylan16807 posted:

Because "install updates automatically" is turned on, so you expect it to check and then trigger everything else to flush the update pipeline. And that is what the button does, on top of secretly opting you in to a different set of updates.

That's never been what "check for updates" means in Windows Update. It also again doesn't tell the Illuminati to give you secret updates.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

No, it doesn't. Unless you've already changed other settings.

That's never been what "check for updates" means in Windows Update. It also again doesn't tell the Illuminati to give you secret updates.

I was exaggerating a little bit, but only a little. I don't have the original article, but this one states the same thing. From MS directly:

Microsoft posted:

We intentionally start each feature update rollout slowly, closely monitoring feedback before offering the update more broadly. In this case the update was only available to those who manually clicked on “check for updates” in Windows settings.

So yes, 1809 wasn't being pushed out to everyone immediately (and for good reason) but those who manually checked for updates did indeed get it earlier than they would have automatically. So yes, I was being hyperbolic, but what I wrote was otherwise correct, per MS.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It shouldn't really come as a surprise that update rollouts are slightly staggered because otherwise Microsoft is effectively getting DDOS'd by a billion machines checking for updates simultaneously on Tuesdays. Assign some machines to check later, but if they happen to check early because of user request then go ahead and hand them the update that's ready.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Atomizer posted:

I was exaggerating a little bit, but only a little. I don't have the original article, but this one states the same thing. From MS directly:

So yes, 1809 wasn't being pushed out to everyone immediately (and for good reason) but those who manually checked for updates did indeed get it earlier than they would have automatically. So yes, I was being hyperbolic, but what I wrote was otherwise correct, per MS.

So that's something entirely different from what you claimed, do you really not see that? It was already considered final release ready update, and there's always going to be some group that goes first. Many people received 1809 who hadn't done anything special on their machines either, as they'd been randomly picked.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

So that's something entirely different from what you claimed, do you really not see that? It was already considered final release ready update, and there's always going to be some group that goes first. Many people received 1809 who hadn't done anything special on their machines either, as they'd been randomly picked.

Like I said, I was being hyperbolic, and you're being pedantic (no surprise there.) I didn't literally mean "alpha tester," rather, that was a reference to the updates being full of multiple, rather significant bugs, as if it wasn't tested properly before being made available for consumers.

The complaint is not that the updates are rolled out progressively (which is good, because among other things that lets them catch problems before they've been propagated to most users, which is what happened here with 1809.) The issue is that "check for updates" puts you at the front of the queue when you'd otherwise receive updates later, (and this is exacerbated by the aforementioned game-breaking (so to speak) bugs,) while MS didn't exactly make this public knowledge. The effect of this is that the user inadvertently becomes a software tester while under the false pretense that they're really just getting their system up-to-date.

As I mentioned, I habitually check for updates when I turn on a Windows system, because often they're off several days at a time and I'd like to have them work on updates immediately so they're ready to apply when I'm ready to reboot or power off, rather than wasting more time. Also, I do have a PMS system that's on 24/7 and occasionally is transcoding video, and I want that to be ready to install updates immediately so it doesn't reboot in the middle of a transcode batch or at some other inopportune time.

Again, the issue is that "check for updates" doesn't simply mean "update Windows," it means, in effect, per MS's own explanation, "grab the buggy update earlier than I normally would receive it." On top of that, while yes, it was rolled out automatically to some users early, the update was quickly pulled (2 days) so that many users who checked early might not have ever received it anyway.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Atomizer posted:

Again, the issue is that "check for updates" doesn't simply mean "update Windows"

It has never ever meant that, so why are you complaining about this? It means, check for updates. Go load up Windows 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8 - in all of them checking for updates doesn't mean updating in itself.

Atomizer posted:

it means, in effect, per MS's own explanation, "grab the buggy update earlier than I normally would receive it."

Why did you explicitly ask for updates before Windows would normally check for updates, unless you wanted to receive an update earlier than normal, again? It seems like what you're furious about is that it did exactly what it said it would do instead of reading your mind to know that when you check for updates you want nothing to happen.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
"Check for updates" kind of does mean "update" in Windows 10, it doesn't separate out the installation process like previous versions of Windows did.

Personally, I like the fact checking puts you at the front of the queue. If if wasn't interested in that I wouldn't be pressing that button.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I hated when I had a (Nexus) Android device and a new OS version I wanted rolled out. I'd click "Check for updates" and it would tell me I had the latest version; if I wanted to update I either had to wait up to a few weeks for the OTA rollout or hunt down some files and have to plug in the device to my computer to do it manually.

Microsoft is in the wrong for not testing/fixing things well enough before releasing new versions. That's what people should be getting worked up over, and not whether the button itself is working as intended.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

astral posted:

I hated when I had a (Nexus) Android device and a new OS version I wanted rolled out. I'd click "Check for updates" and it would tell me I had the latest version; if I wanted to update I either had to wait up to a few weeks for the OTA rollout or hunt down some files and have to plug in the device to my computer to do it manually.

Microsoft is in the wrong for not testing/fixing things well enough before releasing new versions. That's what people should be getting worked up over, and not whether the button itself is working as intended.

Yeah, if I hit the "check for updates" button, I want whatever the most recent update is to download and install now. What I don't want is for that most recent update to be a bug-ridden piece of poo poo because Microsoft decided to fire their QA department and made me do it as part of using their OS.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah, if I hit the "check for updates" button, I want whatever the most recent update is to download and install now. What I don't want is for that most recent update to be a bug-ridden piece of poo poo because Microsoft decided to fire their QA department and made me do it as part of using their OS.

They gave you this OS for free, so that's the least you can do to help this little cash-strapped startup. Think of all those volunteers.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
My HTPC installed 1809 automatically without me checking for updates. Perhaps it did this because peer to peer updates are enabled and it's on the same network as a PC I forced the update on.

Anyway regardless of whether you need to click a button or not MS should not be pushing this sort of broken bullshit to non insiders.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

It has never ever meant that, so why are you complaining about this? It means, check for updates. Go load up Windows 98, 2000, ME, XP, Vista, 7, 8 - in all of them checking for updates doesn't mean updating in itself.

Why did you explicitly ask for updates before Windows would normally check for updates, unless you wanted to receive an update earlier than normal, again? It seems like what you're furious about is that it did exactly what it said it would do instead of reading your mind to know that when you check for updates you want nothing to happen.

"Check for updates" does indeed begin updating as soon as it finds updates (it downloads them, then does part of the install, but waits to complete the installation after a reboot - this last part is the thing I was attempting to schedule by updating and rebooting at my convenience.) The issue is that there's the illusion that the updates you're getting will not delete user files and/or break built-in functionality.

You know how if you want to DL some piece of software, you might have the option of "version 1.5 stable" or "version 1.6 beta/nightly/whatever?" That's the surreptitious thing about checking for updates manually - they didn't make it clear you were putting yourself at the front of the queue to test an unstable build.

Also this:

astral posted:

...and:

Magnus Praeda posted:

...but not:

Lambert posted:

"Check for updates" kind of does mean "update" in Windows 10, it doesn't separate out the installation process like previous versions of Windows did.

Personally, I like the fact checking puts you at the front of the queue. If if wasn't interested in that I wouldn't be pressing that button.

...because there should be a difference between updating now, and as above, installing an unstable, buggy PoS early.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Atomizer posted:

That's the surreptitious thing about checking for updates manually - they didn't make it clear you were putting yourself at the front of the queue to test an unstable build.

Once again. This didn't happen.

It was a final build intended for general release. You need to stop lying and then getting angry about your own lies.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You know 1809 was the stable build right? It just had a bug. That does suck, but if you want to be safe then don't update immediately, and that's what pressing "check for updates" does

Feels like they used to treat the big updates as more of a major event you could delay or download early, but they don't seem to do that anymore. Just seems to be more of a "bunch of updates" now

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

fishmech posted:

It was a final build intended for general release. You need to stop lying and then getting angry about your own lies.

It was a final build, but not anymore lol. Windows loves pushing untested releases nowadays and despite being labeled "final" or "master" they are just unfinished garbage. so it's understandable that people get irritated at being pushed to the front of the line to use that poo poo.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Atomizer posted:

"Check for updates" does indeed begin updating as soon as it finds updates (it downloads them, then does part of the install, but waits to complete the installation after a reboot - this last part is the thing I was attempting to schedule by updating and rebooting at my convenience.) The issue is that there's the illusion that the updates you're getting will not delete user files and/or break built-in functionality.

For some reason you are mixing up the issue of "Check for updates" actually checking for updates and downloading and installing them, with the issue that one of the updates had a bug in it. Must the "check for updates" button first connect to the psychic network to predict that the update that's available has a bug, and block it?

The button has a function - that function is to check for the latest updates, download and install them. You seem upset with this because the update had a bug.

That is not the fault of the loving button, so stop complaining about the update button performing the loving update that you asked it to perform.

The two issues are completely separate, I don't understand why you think they are related in any way.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

baka kaba posted:

You know 1809 was the stable build right? It just had a bug. That does suck, but if you want to be safe then don't update immediately, and that's what pressing "check for updates" does

Feels like they used to treat the big updates as more of a major event you could delay or download early, but they don't seem to do that anymore. Just seems to be more of a "bunch of updates" now

You mean a software company can't test for every single piece of snowflake hardware and software installation setup that could possibly exist? That's crazy talk.

MS literally can't win with these people (and I'm no MS apologist, I just understand things like logic). If they test more exhaustively than they already do, and hit every esoteric hardware bit they can get their hands on, and validate even the most ridiculous combinations that anyone could put together, then everyone would be bitching about how long everything is taking and that their updates are never going to come out. On the other hand, when they test for a shitton of basic combinations and make sure that everything will work out of the box for 99% of the population, then that 1% gets bitchy as gently caress and we have to deal with tens of people complaining about how the OS is a basket of poo poo and completely broken out of the box, when it's actually not. And that's not even factoring in the people who intentionally break their systems by disabling services that don't need disabling (UAC) or flipping registry bits that should be relegated to enterprise device managers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I wonder how many people they actually have on the Insider program, since those people are the ones running the test builds to iron out these issues. And I wonder how many of those users actually file bug reports. Like I see a lot of people complain about issues with the beta builds, as though they expect them to be finished and free of problems - feels like they're probably not gonna be proactively engaged in the feedback and refinement process

Having a lot of people use the product and provide data is helpful too, but with the amount of people disabling any telemetry they can find, is MS even getting any data from them? Wouldn't be surprised if the people most likely to use beta builds are the ones who are most dedicated to locking down Windows and its features as hard as possible. If there's no QA team and the testing stage involves a relatively small number of people (who often stonewall the developers) it's not really a surprise that there are big "wow really" bugs getting through

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I wonder how many insiders run it on a real pc Vs a virtual machine.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

c0burn posted:

I wonder how many insiders run it on a real pc Vs a virtual machine.

I was on the insider program from the time they announced it on my main PC (which I also use for work), but I haven't run an insider build in about a year now because the builds were just too unstable to be worth it. Switching to slow ring was actually worse because it took longer to get fixes.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
MS said 1809 stable went out to those who manually clicked check for updates. Why is there a difference between those that manually update and PCs that automatically checked for updates around the same time? To my knowledge, you can't change the automatic update process itself. The only configurable is when your PC restarts.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pro and above can choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

wolffenstein posted:

MS said 1809 stable went out to those who manually clicked check for updates. Why is there a difference between those that manually update and PCs that automatically checked for updates around the same time? To my knowledge, you can't change the automatic update process itself. The only configurable is when your PC restarts.

As has been mentioned before, it’s so Microsoft’s servers don’t poo poo themselves every time they release an update trying to update everyone at once. It has nothing to do with how “ready” the update is. They thought it was ready for everyone, and they were wrong.